The last levels of this game were pure bullshit that you had to spend hours in shitty riddles that involved hidden...

The last levels of this game were pure bullshit that you had to spend hours in shitty riddles that involved hidden switches or items that you may or may not have.
You couldn't possibly go though these parts without a guide.
Tell me you played though it blind, I dare you.

I looked up three things. None at the end.

Yes git gud.

You can't tell me you solved that riddle with the arrow, skull, key and stone by yourself

No guide, eat shit. Although, I could certainly see how you would need one if you weren't scanning every single wall for buttons.

Only thing I looked up was the alternating floor tile pattern puzzle.

Compared to actual old dungeon crawlers, grimrock was amazingly straightforward.

I don't think I never needed a walkthrough for Grimlock, except when I wanted to find a secret area someone on Holla Forums spoke about once.
Something related to that guy's message you keep seeing I think.

I did sort of cheat towards the end to make sure I got that ultimate treasure thingy. I also have a bad habit of ditching a game the moment I reach the end, I stopped during the murdercube bossfight.

Alright, I'm starting with Grimrock II now, I hope it's better

why

If by better you mean "will hold your hand through riddles" you're in for a huge disappointment.

Casuls

It's great but if you had a problem with puzzles in 1 you are going to have some tough times in 2.

Grimrock 2 was probably GOTY the year it came out.

i'd say 1 had a couple more complicated puzzles than 2. but if you're expecting to breeze through forget about it.

you'll have to look up a guide at least once during the game. some puzzles are total bullshit (in both games) based solely on the games inability to explain the puzzle to you, and the fact that 90% of the puzzles are meant to be secrets.

both are truly immersing games that will shave a lot of hours out of your life, those are the kinda games i like.

also, i kinda wonder why they made 1 and 2 and then kind of stopped cold turkey. where is grimrock 3 AH games? where is it?

Grimrock II is a major improvement in the combat and character progression departments, and the non-linear exploration and sense of adventure it builds are fantastic.

I played it blind. Until the final boss because I thought I had to drop it through a hole or something.

see

I refuse to believe a human could solve it without a guide.

Tradition.

Maybe you should accept that you might be a bit dumb, OP.

I played through blind and without automaps. Didn't get into the Vault, but otherwise did fine with just the hints in the game.

It makes a clicking sound when you place the right item in each alcove, and it comes right after opening up a shortcut, so you can go back and find any items you're missing. Not that hard, unless maybe you've been ignoring skulls the whole game.

Well OP, how is it so far?

10/10
Great
I'm at the bog right now, and I didn't need to look up anything yet.

I also seriously hope none of you guys actually play nonhumans.

It got to the point where I'de only need about a second on each wall to see if there was a button or not. Wasn't a fan of the ending either. They really build up what it was going to be and it turned out to be kinda lackluster. Same in 2 sorta but I still enjoyed it enough If OP couldn't look for the hidden walls though he was pretty casual. Can't wait for him to throw a bitch fit on the later areas of 2.

The only thing I hated about the game is the shitty magic system. Especially in #2. if you invest in the wrong points, you miss out on spells. It's frustrating.

I don't see the problem

The point is you specialize in a few elements so you can be powerful in them individually, not spread them out so you were under-leveled for everything later in the game. Also you save spell scrolls so you can know where to level up later on but to also be patient because a new scroll might be more appealing. Every element has its uses though, so going full out max in any one of them was worth your time. Trust me this isn't a game where you should be a master magician at everything. If you want to be a Master Mage but not a Master Fire Mage you're sick in the head. Unless you want multiple spellcasters in your group, then you can go fucking crazy on magic

you're not supposed to max out every element, you're supposed to pick one or two at the most.

Ice is pretty good, because it stops enemies on their tracks and lets you hit them.
Flame is good because it does amazing damage.

Now I wanna have 2 mage twins who specialize in Fire and Ice.

the problem with having 2 mages is that when they run out of MP they're practically useless.

thats why you want variety, in the front you'll want a stronk warrior that can take hits with its xbox HUEG hp, and a dickass thief who can evade attacks.

on the back, you'll want the mage, and some sort of archer/gunner/rogue who can make you potions. i think this is exclusively a LOGII thing, but you NEED a character with the ability to make potions.

Magic is pretty shit in 2 outside of the utility effects. The most powerful spells in the game just don't do enough damage compared to pretty much anything else. Forcefield though is literally the best thing ever.

shygddty

Get a good fire mage. He does enough damage and if your ranged is a potion maker he'll have all the MP he needs.

Your definition of "enough" is different than mine apparently. I had a plenty strong fire mage, with plenty of potions, considering I also had an alchemist for unlimited potion ingredients. Meteor Storm, the most expensive spell in the game requiring the most skill investment to utilize, does like half the damage of a single melee swing.

Either you're not leveled high enough in fire element or you're killing enemies that are resistant to fire. It's why I usually level my mage a tiny bit in a few other elements just so he's somewhat useful against enemies that are resistant to him. And Meteor storm is meant for bosses. Don't use it on anything else and only get it if you're near end game and there's no better alternative or you just want to fuck around.

No, melee is just that much better, especially Barbarians. Magic doesn't compare in damage, but it's great for utility like Forcefield.

If the element you're using is an enemies weakness it's highly effective actually. Melee might be stronger but mages are useful in their own right outside of strength. I'd always want at least 1 in my group.

Hey, it's another game where magic is shit and only pure-melee does real damage. Lots of nice buffs though.

Remember I went through it with a bishop with pretty much every spell in the game, high ranks all the magic skills as well because I grinded the hell out of them. All that effort was a complete waste. By the end of the game she wasn't even useful for buffs, the Bard and Gadgeteer did that better since it only costs stamina to use their tools, and her offensive magic either did pathetic damage or was resisted.

It's to balance how bullshit magic is in D&D

Direct damage spells in D&D aren't really that great either, that shit's all about debuffs and utility, which he apparently didn't have.

Wiz 8 has some great utility spells, X-Ray alone is spell of the year. Superman also.
Problem is gadgeteers and bards can cast those too.

I think the point is that you need certain combinations of elements to get some spells, which is annoying if you don't know which you need. I remember that a certain number of points in air was mandatory since you wanted ranged spells.

he was also using a bishop, that probably worked against him.

Considering Meteor Storm requires his mage to be a Fire Magic Master, it's hard to level fire magic further. But yeah, magic is useful in this game when dealing with dodgy motherfuckers like Mosquito Swarms (my mage with lvl 4 fire magic could oneshot them with Fireblasts) or highly physical damage resistant like fucking stone golems, especially if you want to deal with them early. When everyone does (1) damage, a mage with air magic spec does 40+\hit to them.

Ah, Wizardry 8, a game where endgame offensive spells are a rigged coin flip due to them being outright instant kill and enemies having huge as fuck resists, what, funny enough, goes both ways. Late game enemies also have instant kill spells and your characters are also likely to have huge as fuck resists by then.

I played through the game blind, no guides or hints, and fuck off with your "if I can't do it, neither can you" bullshit. You're just as bad as the faggots who act like Dark Souls is the hardest substance known to man.

So you wasted hours on hours searching for switches

Cry more, baby.

Let me guess, you also farm items in Dark Souls or breed Pokemon.

I seriously can't understand people that do tedious stuff in games that isn't even fun at all, even though there is a quick alternative.
I bet you also date women instead of just hiring a whore.

This was never hard. Your eyes must be bad or something.

y

Dude remember that people used to beat shit like Legacy of the Wizard with no guides and no internet. We've just become accustomed to speed and handholding.

I still don't see the problem.

Are you mentally handicapped?
Shouldn't have picked a puzzle heavy game then.

You get fucked out of absolutely vital skills for the other magic paths if you don't place points in certain magic skills. If you think "I'm going to be a fire mage" and put points in just fire, you don't even get the basic ability to throw fireballs. Also, I could be wrong about this one, but I don't think the game actually tells you what the combinations are. It's been a while so I'm not too sure about that one though.

Praise lifecube? That shit's just a fucking DnD abberation.

I literally could not get past the slugs in the first level at the start of the game. I could not find the key mappings, and could not click the attack/switch character buttons in time before the slugs killed my characters.

I literally rage quit the game on the first level at the fucking slime enemies because I can't stand shitty UIs, aside from me being shit at vidya.

Try it again, it's a very good game. It's my first dungeon crawler, but it feels more like an rpg.
It I just gets tedious in the last level where you have to dodge respawning enemies.

Took me almost three seconds to notice.

He didn't get to pick who they chained him to when they threw him in there.

And it's hard to find decent custom portraits for Insectoids.

I just spider-man or kamen rider portraits for my insectoids.

I saw it before I even opened the image.

I think I bought it on GoG - I'll give it another shot…

I saw it before he uploaded it.

holy shit this was a surprise for me.
I even unintentionally hit it first.

I don't even play games anymore. It is the quickest alternative.

yeah, a lot of games had really shitty gameplay back then.

I also remember back then that a lot of people didn't even beat their games because they were too hard.

The developers did this shit on purpose to make their games seem longer than they really are.

This game will give me a heart attack

There's a lot of Mimics in this game. I also hope you like traps inside secrets.

I know right, why do people even play RPGs and grind when I can just use commands to give me highest level and gear from the start? Why do people even bother going around the track on racing games when I can just teleport to the finish line, it's so tedious.

It's not, that's why people do it.
The grind has to be fun, the racing has to be fun.
This stuff has to be in relation to the reward.

I was mocking the other faggot lad.

I enjoy a decent grind. I like the feeling of progression and becoming stronger, I don't mind grinding hours and hours for the perfect pokemon or learning all the right intricacies to be good at a game. It provides a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

I was mocking the other faggot lad.

I enjoy a decent grind. I like the feeling of progression and becoming stronger, I don't mind grinding hours and hours for the perfect pokemon or learning all the right intricacies to be good at a game. It provides a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.