Starcraft is free

Get the fuck in here faggots, US East.
us.battle.net/shop/en/product/starcraft

hows the custom games?

I'm not actually sure, I went straight into create game rather than look at the existing lobbies.

Is this bait?

I'd rather pirate it

The only downside. Can pirates even connect to online servers?

Yes.

Thread looks dead, guessing everyone's playing videogames or they just don't care about a thread discussing about playing video games?

This is such a hard decision:
>Go through Blizzard's service that requires and account to play a nearly two decade old game and it's expansion
Or
>Get a copy of Starcraft 64, not have to be within earshot of Blizzard's network, and have the most superior and complete StarCraft experience (With it's own exclusive missions)
Hm, no thanks.

You don't need a Battle.net account to play the game. You only need an account if you want to play over Battle.net.

But its FREE! get it now goy!

Because Starcraft isn't as good as you fags want others to believe.

why would it be?

There are people who actually believe that everything Blizzard put out is good and not just Warcraft and Diablo.

Blackthorne was ok.

Because it's a shit game?
Any given C&C is better than starcraft.

its just that i burnt out on starcraft years and years ago. i dont really feel like playing it. especially not the big game hunters map.

I always loved playing Phantom. I don't think I've ever lost at it.

Even 4?

nigga I ain't gonna do that shit, I'm going to play Hydra Rancher, Firebat Tag, and Smash TV like I was 12.

4 isn't even a C&C game, it was supposed to be a new series and they just slapped the name on it

Wew lad

Holla Forums's taste in games is shit. every starcraft thread that's posted lists a myriad of horrible RTS with shitty balance designed to build up a bunch of guys and lob them at some computer AI.

It's a REAL TIME strategy game, meaning, when extended to its logical conclusion, being faster/more efficient with your TIME (remember it's a real TIME strategy game, it's in the name) will make you a better player. If you can't get over this then don't play RTS you flaming faggots.

As in freedom?

As in free to download, it still requires Battlenet.

I always see people spam gookclicker but never specify what that means or why it's bad. I just assume it means the people who are good at it are only there because they play that game and nothing else.

"gookclick" i imagine is a pejorative to insult the game based on the premise that koreans ruined the genre by making it hyper competitive, focusing on apm (actions per minute). Essentially if you don't have at least 200 clicks per minute, you can't be competitive because in a game like starcraft you're just not doing enough things as your opponent and players like July were famous for having up to 400 apm at his peak. I'll assume you don't know much about the game since you're not familiar with the insult so be prepared for autism the post.

Things that increase the skill ceiling in Starcraft are: your factories having a maximum queue so you have to continually go back to them and tell them to make more armies, remembering to make workers from your CC/Nexus/Hatcheries even into the middle of the game so you can take advantage of newly created bases seamlessly, the maximum squad size you can control at once in 12 units no matter what, so large armies have to be divided into 10 hotkeys (the number keys) and even troops within each hotkey would have to be maneuvered independently from one another or their movements can interfere with each other due to unit movement tracking (dragoons were awful for this). What units you put into a hotkey is important as well, do you include a few medics in each marine hotkey? or do you control all your medics in a separate hotkey? A poor player may have the build order down, timing windows down, the map down, general strategy down, building placement, the works, but if they have shitty apm and aren't able to remember all the shit you have to be doing in at once and have the skill/faith/speed to stop looking at that battle you're micromanaging to do all that other housekeeping shit, then you will still lose. Imagine you fighting a group of zerg with your marines and you diligently go back to your CC to queue up your SCVS and go back to your 6 barracks you created and queued up a new set of marines, then you come back to your army only to see that zerglings rushed in to take the fire from their lurkers and lurkers were able to burrow without your knowledge. you were too busy with housekeeping matters to retreat your marines and your whole army died in a matter of about 5 seconds. Conversely, imagine you are micromanaging your army perfectly, telling your army to hold their ground to the last possible microsecond, retreating only when the lurkers start their burrow animation, then stopping to fire on the remaining zerglings that are giving chase at exactly range 5 (lurkers have a range of 4), while your first science vessel finishes production and you fly it towards your platoon so they can surround and pick off straggling lurkers if possible, only to lose the game 10 minutes later because in the meantime you have 2000 minerals built up in the bank not doing anything, your worker count is below thirty and you need to start your third base (your zerg opponent expanded twice while you were killing off his army and soon he'll have the money and hatcheries to replace it faster than you can). The amount of scenarios you had to be proficient in was ridiculous, if your opponent had good mutalisk control and you screwed up your building placement just a little bit, the good zerg player could fly his mutas all around your base and your marines couldn't defend them fast enough if you had a supply depot blocking a choke point that leads to the space behind your mineral/worker line. A well placed reaver drop could win the game if you had good micromanagement, but if a terran player defended against it you could leave yourself with crappy tech tree and poor economy. Well placed Psionic storms can win the game or lose it if you misclicked in just a few seconds. The point is, you can't divorce speed from RTS. It will be intrinsic to the genre. Other RTS have the same principles at play, but Starcraft was the most unforgiving, had the highest learning curve, and the best balance between the 3 races. Idiots will argue the point, but no other RTS game had a competitive sport built around it, so the evidence is clear.

The people who use the slur gook click are like people can't be bothered to play to win, you're supposed to play gentleman's rules. They player infinite money maps because you're supposed to be allowed to be lazy and slow and think things through instead of having to worry about annoying things like when to expand and scouting the opponent. They like romantic chess. You're not supposed to decline the kings gambit, you're supposed to take the pawn because that's how we play at this club.