God I wish the 3D platformer never died in the 7th gen

so did we all just forget these two games existed and were the best 3D platformers in years?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/PlayStation/status/857142603497824256
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All I see are Playstation niche japanese titles.

Does Gravity Rush really count as a platformer? It's not like traversing from point A to point B is ever a significant part of the challenge in the game except maybe with the sliding trials.

amy hennig described the term platformer to be fairly limited and suggested it might be better to call the genre of game a navigational genre, which is something gravity rush would fit in with perfectly. It's absolutely a platformer.

Then AssCreed must be a platformer too.

Stop shilling your fucking game. We're the generals not enough for you?

sure, it kind of is. Not a very good one since so much is automated, but it is. uncharted as well is half a platformer.

I played both of them and loved them to death.

go back to cuckchan, the OP is clearly asking for discussion

Kinda weak as platformers but I really wish there were more sliding races. I loved the 2 games though.

Why do you greentext when a sentence would have worked just fine? Those look like you put sentences in a greentext so people would read it.

I think we can all agree with this

is this a fucking meme or is it actually a decent game

no it's actually a good game.

noice, I'll check it out

also I'm guessing that outfit in from GR2 coz there ain't no mech suit in the first one.
is it DLC?

it is DLC
free DLC
there is also an entire side story that connects this game to the first one as DLC
it is also 100% free

isn't it that 2 part youtube video?? embed related
Well thats a change from the first one, they had 3 pieces of DLC each with one costume, 2 missions and 2 challenges which was BULLSHIT so glad they are releasing the DLC for free now.

No, it's just that they're on an early access platform.

When you think about it, the collectathon genre never really died. It just morphed into the modern open world genre. BotW is basically a collectathon.

That's exactly what OP fucking isn't. He's literally just writing fucking clickbait and antagonizing the entire board. OP probably never played the game because he doesn't require any knowledge of the game to create the OP.

do not give them the (you)'s they desire.

Looks like actual game play to me! (for the record, I do not pay for PS+, it is totally free for everyone with the game)

all the media I've posted in the thread are things I've captured while playing the game since this thread went up, but whatever fits your fantasy. I just wanna talk about video games, even if it makes you angry.

That doesn't mean the OP isn't shit. What the fuck is that even supposed to have to do with what I said? If you actually gave a fuck about the board or your game you'd discuss the actual game instead of writing a generic clickbait OP.

Isn't Mirror's Edge a platformer? I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim that platformers are dead.

Look, let us get some discussion going. Why were they "the best 3D platformers in years"? How did they made the genre progress?

People usually mean the N64 collectathon style when they talk about 3D platformers being dead.

well, look at the competition as far as platformers go. Half baked garbage from scenes all over the world, indie, AAA platformer-shooter shit, kickstarter shit that either hasn't come out (a hat in time) or has come out and was pretty forgettable shit (yooka laylee.) There hasn't been many 3D platformers, and I don't think that gravity rush is necessarily growing the genre, but even providing a solidly designed game with good mechanics, fun game play scenarios is enough to establish a place as the best one in years. The foundation of shifting the pull of gravity makes for some really good combat and movement that feels unlike any other game.

cry about it. :)

Because they're the only ones in years that isn't nostalgia pandering garbage and are competently created. Most importantly they're fun.

I think it can't be overstated how irritating it is to see so much nostalgia pandering in so many games. It's so cheap to cash in on, and I know Holla Forums has long since been wary of kickstarter shit by those old guys who came back from your childhood with a brand new game that is supposed to be just like that game from your childhood, but the average consumer really doesn't seem to have gotten tired of it. It's pretty annoying.

That's part of what makes it refreshing, it's a totally new IP, and the fact that gravity rush 2 even exists is pretty incredible considering the first one wasn't a smash hit.

I fucking hate that this is the recognised design of 3D platformers. I consider Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine to be the pinnacle of the 3D platformer genre because they focused on the actual point of a platformer, to make the act of movement entertaining and satisfying in of itself. There is a ideal level of finesse in controlling Mario in those games all focused around the ability of the player.

Pretty much every other 3D platformer is focused around power ups, where you activate a skill you unlocked for your moveset or literally pick up something which changes how you move. You basically wind up with an endless lock and key type of game design, opposed to Mario's playgrounds built from the ground up with your complete moveset already available to you from the get go.

he's not wrong

How come?

Platformer is a weak ass genre description anyway. It's just an action game with a jumping focus.

Sounds to me like you just like Mario more.

mario 64 more so - it did focus far more on simple collectibles usually one primary one and one or two secondary ones in a stage (red/blue coins) it almost always had its goals revolve around:

-here's an obstacle course
-find out how to get to it
-find out how to navigate it
-get the star at the end

it did this really consistently in every level in the game and it definitely benefitted from being built around intricate moves which compliment each other and allow the player to navigate elaborate geometry very fluidly. Other competing platformers at the time were abundant with collectibles like gex 2 and 3, banjo kazooie 1 & 2, dk64 is famous for being a bloated collectathon and it's hard to phrase it any other way. It doesn't rely on an elaborate set of mechanics to allow the player to navigate more freely and adeptly through an environment. It uses characters with specific skills for certain areas, making the problem solving process of "what if I try to do a jump here, kick off the wall, avoid the enemy, and do a lunging dive to reach the platform" to "hey this symbol is in the shape of a spring, better use my spring power so the game solves the problem for me."

The latter is lazy, the former requires a lot of time to really hone in on and get the most out of it, but it is far more satisfying. It's sort of why Quake is still satisfying to move around in and work out the strafe jumps and rocket jumps. The game works well with them, and it adds an extra layer of skill. banjo kazooie on the other hand, well the big green button means I get to do the super jump here, better aim and land it. No other thought involved. lock and key method of design.

gravity rush 1 & 2 is its own beast. It has a clear and established moveset, and its much more about how you move around the world to your own pleasure, incorporate your abilities in combat, and navigate to solve tasks. It's not as tight as something like mario 64, but it is very satisfying in its own right.

the power ups in mario 64 directly contribute to how you navigate the environment and are designed in such a way that there's a sense of skill to them, except the invisibility cap. Metal cap changes how you move underwater entirely, and the flight cap directly joins platforming with a flight ability for very specific challenges, the flight controls are very well done too with plenty of nuances to figure out.

really updated my journal

Cause he's right.

goons, take your goon rpg and leave now thank you

Okay, so do other 3D platformers fail to do those things as well as Mario, then?

for the most part, I'd say they fail at it. Mario 64 derives its difficulty from how well you are at chaining together moves and how quickly you can get things done. There's plenty of slower techniques that can get someone where they have to go, but these are not as enjoyable, not as fluid, not as skillful. Doing a sideflip gets the same result as a backflip, one lets you slowly position yourself, hold a button, press another, the other requires a swift movement of analog sticks, a button tap, and an alignment with the area you're getting to, but also lets you maintain a sense of speed and momentum.

In banjo kazooie, you have context sensitive actions, the flip for high jumps is simpler to do but still interrupts your speed by forcing you to switch back to banjo. It plays itself more than mario 64 does, although there is still a decent level of control. Generally there's only one way to solve each problem to get a jiggy.

Mario 64 might have all this fancy character movement buit doesn't change that at the end of the day the game is plain boring and was little more than a hardware tech demo. Not to mention that Banjo Kazooie which you argued didn't rely on an elaborate set of mechanics to allow the player to navigate more freely and adeptly through an environment but required knowledge of the character's moveset to properly get places, somehow having a mark at a certain spot that indicated you could fly from there makes it worse? Are games supposed to be barren experiences with no indicatives/marked objectives? Furthermore, Mario 64 is a collectathon.

GR1 isnt really a platformer in the usual sense, and GR2 though charming has terrible pacing in the first two acts, its not until you return to Hekseville that the game picks up.

uh-oh, someone didn't figure out their side flips.

Banjo Kazooie relies on a single button press to solve platforming problems when it comes to those movies. Really not very interesting.

Okay, I'll concede that I basically ignored those aspects. However, the majority of those games were based around the basic moveset. The powerups didn't dominate the Mario's moveset in 64 and the only nozzle you could change in Sunshine were movement focused.

My point was about the minute to minute control of Mario. Nailing a series of commands to reach somewhere provides the same satisfaction as nailing a combo in a fighting game or Tony Hawk.

Isn't that the definition of handholding? Why is it on Banjo, you could only start flying from specific places? Why not be able to fly from anywhere?

Character movement alone doesn't make a game suddenly entertaining, you are also not denying what I stated.
The controls are not as complex as SM64 but they are not a single button affair either.
Has more charm than Mario 64, that much is certain.

No
Because it would break the game? Why isn't flying available everywhere on Mario 64?

you just used very vague descriptions like "the game is plain boring" and "it's a tech demo" and tried to create a strawman that I believe games are supposed to be barren experiences with no marked objectives or indicators.

I just can't believe you're arguing in good faith, and I haven't really seen you deliver anything meaningful yet.

OP if you killed yourself right now, no one would care

Seriously this is worse than the faggot shills back in 2015 saying that the Witcher 3 and MGSV would "save vidya" and be "masterpieces".

Problem is said shills also attracted actual retards who followed suit, flooded this board and are now the average user, more braindead than a Goldfish.

Nobody remembered the vita in the first place, and nobody bought the PS4 game.

I see that you are just never going to listen to others, have fun with your thread.

(you)'re free to leave the thread like you did the first time if it makes you so angry my child

k then, try not to strawman next time? I don't know what to tell you. You just used a lot of vague buzzwords and no real criticism of mario 64.

meme game like neptunia, senran kagura etc: Generic and repetitive. The only reason people play it is because there's a cute girl in it. There are still good game on the vita though.

Misquote, i meant it for gravity rush

interesting, so you've played it then?

I would say that if it broke the game, the game is designed in a linear and possibly uncreative fashion. In Mario 64, once you got the flying hat, you could start flying from anywhere you could do a triple jump and keep flying provided you could keep up your momentum. Ergo, finesse.

As for Banjo, you start flying from this set point and can keep flying so long as you have a supply of red feathers. If you need more height, you can expend more red feathers for a boost. Ergo, a temporary powerup.

There's a clear difference between the two and demand different play styles from the player. I'm not saying Banjo is a bad game, rather it's design became too dominant and wound up stagnating 3D platformers into either collectathons or gimmicks.

To escape Nintendo, the first Jak and Daxter is my favourite in the series as it was more of a pure platforming experience, whereas the later games became gimmicky with weapons and vehicles and grimdark.

The first GR was okay but the second is genuinely really good from what I've played of it so far. I'm not usually into open world/psuedo open world vidya, but I actually think it's of benefit of these two since you can walk over pretty much any surface so there's a degree of interactivity with the environment no matter where you go (the lack of which is what would usually put me off of open world games). The scale of their overworlds is also pretty awe-inspiring, it's cool being able to go to any location you can see. Reminds me a bit of Just Cause 2 in that regard.

sad people forgot that Kirby gotten a full 3D game for the first time and even getting a standalone released version soon

gonna leave this here

the first one took a little bit to really come into its own. The snappiness and sense of freedom and seamlessness in the movement wasn't realized until you started upgrading your stats a little bit. Once you get a few extra movement skills and get your falling speed/recovery speed up, it becomes truly exhilirating. GR1 still feels kinda like a mobile game, although it's impressive a game of that scale captured that feeling, it feels held back by it to an extent.

Gravity Rush 2, once you get to the first city revels in how many options and opportunities you have for exploration. It is a truly idealized version of the concept and it may not click until after you've seen masses of particles and debris fly along with you the aesthetics truly click. But the game play doesn't come into its own until you realize there is 3 cities in the first proper section of the game.

Stop that.

wii

OP is a shill user, we all know that

People keep complaining about Sonic autists but Mario autists like OP are much worse. You don't see Sonicfags talking all high and mighty about their games while putting everyone else down and refusing to listen to arguments, they are instead a lot of furfaggots with some actual really talented folks making some great fangames, hacks, inspired works (Freedom Planet, Jester) and even working at SEGA (Sonic Mania) meanwhile the most notable Mario autists are Moviebob, that guy who made Kaizo Mario, pannenkoek and countless autists like OP talking about all the depth that Mario 64 movement has and why every other game sucks for not having a half A press fart button.

this is a gravity rush thread

what are you going on about

he's venting with some form of aspergers visibly taking control

I finished it.

interesting, so what other games have gravity shifting like that used to such an extent? The closest I can think of uses it as a gimmick, mario galaxy.

I think he is talking about the raven dlc.

why live?

What kind of answer is that?
Just because it has one gimmick (used poorly) doesn't make it a good game. What i said is that it's repetitive since every mission plays the same, and that it's generic because the gravity power it's not even used in a interesting manner, making it a big open brown world with nothing to do in it. You could replace it with flying and it wouldn't change a thing.
Why don't you tell me why it's such a great game?

hard to believe it could get even better

damn nigger have a seat

My dick is shifting gravity.

I can't read wapanese but something tells me its gonna be free like the past two DLCs

Kosher Shilling is Kosher user.

It is free, yeah.

A2 Raven when?

give taro 20 bucks and tell him to do it

wow what a surprise

Are you pretending to be retarded or are you really stupid?

so it's not generic and you're just a retard with a poor grasp on english, got it

fuck off now faggot

user that is not true. In fact one of the biggest issues with the game is that so many of the missions are random task that have new rules and often don't even use the gravity mechanics. It suffers from being like Warioware in a sense where they don't have a consistent rule-set and half the frustration is figuring out what the designer wanted you do actually do thanks to finicky and sometimes seemingly arbitrary fail states. The game has its charm but I would be the first to say it's somewhat mediocre overall, but to say its repetitive if nonsense.

When can I fly around and leer at Kats butt with good intentions?

Agreed on the first not coming into its own until you upgraded your gravity quantity and speed etc. That's another thing I appreciate about 2, the fact that it cut the ability to upgrade those particular stats, because when I was playing through the first it just felt like unnecessary fat that needed trimming to me.

That too. I like being able to break the armour of armoured enemies and then being able to throw the pieces back at them, it's pretty cool that you can do that since the debris lies on the ground.

Speaking of throwing items, the way they changed that mechanic in 2 is probably the biggest improvement I've seen thus far (I'm only 7 hours in). It was such an utter pain in the ass to use in the first game since it made you float, whereas in 2 I end up using it more than any other attack.

2 makes for some decent wallpapers.

Those are nice but I'm pretty disappointed that the game doesn't have a art gallery especially after Remastered's amazing one.
Apparently there's a official guide that doubles as a artbook but got no luck finding scans of it.

Yeah true, I always like it when games include stuff like art galleries or model viewers.
Just looked it up and right enough, the only scans I can find have giant watermarks or sample text on them, wew.

Sorry OP, if it's not on a nintendo or pirate friendly system then Holla Forums doesn't give a shit. Sorry you had to find out that way, break away and find these gems yourself. Holla Forums has fallen and there are no games to be found here.

May 5.
twitter.com/PlayStation/status/857142603497824256

Platformers were never good.

keep going retard, you're amusing.

But it is true. Every story mission is fly easly to point A, gravity kick some monster or talk to someone, fly to point B, rinse and repeat. Going to one point to the other it's not a problem for a platformer (since a lot of them are just that), but they have to makes sure that you have to surpass obstacles to get to the goal, either be puzzles or fights with different types of enemies, preventing you to approach them in the same way. Side missions are all the same: they just require you to spend some gems to unlock a race.
Combat is repetitive too. Once you unlock gravity kick, you can spam it to win every fights and boss, and the game won't even punish you. I could go on and on with different reasons why i resent this game, and one of them was because i looked forward to it, but people don't want to hear different opinions that hurt their game.

Except Vita is pirate friendly. It's one the easiest system to pirate on.

That's not the psp.
And you fucking know what I mean, don't go splitting hairs.

I said "one of the easiest". And with the vita you just have to visit a site once and that's it.

good christ

i need sleep

You're basing this on just the first game. I do agree with your point, however that's all I wanted really. The fun of Gravity Rush for me was specifically the gimmick of gravity control and kicking monsters in the face.

Gravity Rush 2 fixed a lot of the complaints I had about the first one, giving you a lot more to do and ways to do it. The Lunar mode completely changes up how Kat moves and perfectly scratches that skill finesse itch I was rambling on about yesterday.

Seriously, give GR2 a chance when you can. You'll likely hate the first two hours as I did, but it soon opens up into a beautiful, expansive world with plenty to see and do.

Well yeah, that's the one i played and was posted in the op. Of course i'm not going to play the second title of a game i didn't like the first to begin with. I was excited too and it was even my first game that i bought on the vita (since there were no exploit at the time).
I'm willing to change my mind if it's true and i'll give it a chance since i can pirate the second, but not now. I have other games in my backlog.

Is there a way to take clothing damage

Back to your Saturn

Sure whenever and however you can. It's a shame so many miss out because of how average the first game was and yet required story wise.

So what the fuck was up with the last quarter of GR2? The story devolves into incoherent nonsense, with random characters we've never seen before, incomprehensible exposition, and the grand Questions of GR's lore completely unexplained or forgotten entirely.

And what the fuck is up with Raven? If the royal family only gets familiars why did she get one? Why is she Kat's other half?

It's quite clear that despite 4 years of development they rushed the ending, or Toyama was too much of a faggot to edit his headcanon tier lore and shoved as much of it in as he could.

I want to hug Kat.

They do tough. t. Sonicfag

I don't really think the first game was average, it really excels once you start to invest in a few stats and the use of your gravity powers becomes incredibly snappy. It has a poor start but following that it's pure fun 'til the end.

Eat my ass Mark
7 proxies and Norton you fat kike

This collaboration was worth some new official art.

Gravity Rush gives me motion sickness. Am I the only one?

(checked)

>No money to buy replacements, especially not a new fucking memory card
As a matter of fact, yes, I did. And you can blame Sony for mishandling two fucking consoles for that.

I just want Sony to stop being fucking asshats and send out a new batch of GR Remasters. Fucking scalpers running this game 70 bucks without the case. More with the case.

sure thing platform war child :^)

Then once when you switch it off. It also restricts you to games released before a certain time. The hacking situation is far from ideal.

Still, it's a better emulation machine than the 3DS.

I've been playing snake pass. It was fantastic to start out with but by 3-2 it becomes just obnoxious with all the spinny bullshit. It completely fucks up the camera, which you cant adjust while coiling unless you use a mouse, in which case the problem of noodle suddenly flipping his head in the opposite direction while turning becomes far worse. Even worse, the spinny bullshit slides you off via centripetal forces even if you grip, so you can prepare yourself for a transfer only to have half your body thrown off and either miss the transfer or be thrown off completely. They also use a lot more descending verticality wherein your tail will suddenly flop down throwing your weight distribution off causing you to fall, or it'll just flop into the ever-present coals while noodle goes slack and starts slipping off so that you can't actually get your tail back up in a timely fashion.

In short, the game has become less about snake physics and more get over this bullshit as fast as possible in precisely the right way. I don't know if I'm even going to finish it like this, which is a damn shame.

that sounds pretty frustrating, but at the same time I feel it's something the developers would have taken into account after some testing. Try seeing if there's a sort of lock camera function based on certain inputs or something like that. I don't know, issues like this are usually addressed in development.

Honestly a lot of devs dont make much effort for their camera systems. It's a common complains across the whole of games. To be fair, is rather difficult to program camera AI, as the kind of information and decision making needed pretty much requires that the map-making process include nodes for it. Snake pass has a center camera function, but it centers behind Noodle's head, so you'd have to perfectly time tapping it with his motions.

The camera isnt even the main issue, as you kinda fight with it from the beginning. It's the sudden change in the intent of the challenges. People who fail early in the game generally did because they went too fast and went slack or just plain launched themselves off the jungle gym. So, the lesson is slow and steady. Then they shift to this nonsense where it becomes about mastering the controls to be able to do it fast, but they accelerate it much too quickly and without properly training you on how to overcome some aspects of the movement system like feathering the "move forward" button so Noodle doesnt over shoot and go slack or just fly the fuck off into space.

You end up having to feather both the move forward and elevate head buttons, spinning the stick just right, fighting the camera, all while keeping track of the spinning bullshit and figuring out how you need to move to compensate for the way it spins. It's a huge, unbefitting difficulty spike and it just isnt satisfying.

Is it already out?

I think it's gonna be out on the 5th?

Double-checked and yeah, nips already have it. We gaijin piggus gotta wait until 5/5.

Course clear - actual platforming
Sandbox 3D - monotonous busy work, and easter egg hunts

Fightan isn't dying, Capcom fighters are.

Polite sage for small thread hijack.

Aye but good luck getting casuals to touch Guilty Gear or KoF.

Gravity Rush isn't a platforming series. That said, they are a wonderful throwback to the inventiveness of the early 00s and, as someone who generally dislikes open world games, they did a good job of getting me to enjoy a genre I otherwise don't usually give the time of day. They aren't perfect games but I do like their spirit and if GR3 is to ever happen then I'm there.

Good thing GG xrd rev2 is for PC.
Let's hope it's good.

you sure you want them to?

They never will, those games are to hard for them.

I'd say it fits as a platformer, it's not very conventional but i think i fills in the genre requirements well by being primarily about how you navigate an environment.

that depends on if it remains too hard

Jesus fuck why was it so morbid this whole time?

well the director created silent hill. and siren. gravity rush was a huge jump for him in a sense.