ITT: franchises that used to be everywhere when you were growing up

ITT: franchises that used to be everywhere when you were growing up.
Where have they all gone?

Other urls found in this thread:

thedragonstrap.com/
ephinea.pioneer2.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Its dead Jim

I thought I was the only one who ever played the original games. No one then talked about them, only Final Fantasy -especially once 7 came out.

I don't remember a year in past two decades where there wasn't a Phantasy Star something going on.
What are you talking about?

nei was my first waifu I cried for 2 hours at the end

but yah I mean I'm still playing phantasy star almost 30 years later so idk what you mean

I remember all the old PC "classics" like king's quest, space quest, monkey island and that shit, plus ultima and similar games I never liked any of that shit and frankly I'm glad it's all more or less gone and buried likewise earthworm jim, I remember a lot of marketing for scud the disposable assassin some bullshit comic book series that got made into a game I guess?

for shit that I actually miss from my childhood, how about thunder force, streets of rage, shinobi, later bloody roar (though it was never 'everywhere'), armored core

shadowrun gets an honorable mention because of how much I love the property and how shit everything related to it in the last 15+ years has been.

Mate, you kill yourself right now

Claiming that PSO is true PS would be like claiming that Warcraft is alive because WoW is still up.

┐(‘~`;)┌
sorry but I always thought point & click games were shit

ultima was amazing for its time but it's kind of like listening to older music, or watching older movies… because you have the benefit of a modern perspective and you have seen the works that built upon its foundation it looks pretty bare by comparison

I understand what you're saying but I see simple turn-based games like classical JRPGs as an older form that has mostly been abandoned for good reason. turn-based should be used when a game is too complex to manage in real-time; I think the move toward real-time action has been good for phantasy star and you'll notice final fantasy is doing/has done the same thing. these games were never complex enough that they needed to be turn-based, that's simply how the style of the day was and at least for me trying to go back and play the older games now even though I enjoyed them as a child is zzzzzz-inducing

Get >>>/out/ and stay >>>/out/

What the fuck is emil doing there?

k

PSO2 does lots of collaborations with other media franchises including games/movies/TV anime/etc so there are items from many other series in the game, you can pretend to be characters from guilty gear, blazblue, basically any other SEGA property, Nier, lots of other games

>>>/cuckchan/ where you belong

Leave nigger

does EverQuest count? I played it when it was new, got tired of the absolutely insane grind shortly after luclin came out. I remember the hype around EQ2 but WoW and the fact that nobody could run EQ2 worth a damn pretty much killed it there was some talk about that shitty everquest next idea with deformable terrain but I guess it got shitcanned

(picrelated)
but why would I leave with such entertainment on offer

Kill yourself

The series actually died out before I was born, but I still really like it and don't know why it vanished.

>>>/back/

don't get me wrong, I still enjoy older media sometimes, particularly older music but mostly I'm talking about films and games in the case of films the medium just wasn't as mature you had actors who did not know how to act naturally you had often inappropriate scores and sometimes poorly-built sets with primitive special effects when you compare something like metropolis from 1927 or even if you look later at forbidden planet from 1956 and compare it to star wars in 1977 just 21 years later the difference in terms of the movies as an experience is night and day and it's the difference of having grown up with films and the medium evolving

that's not to say that forbidden planet or particularly metropolis were not amazing in their time certainly they were both very important to the development of films and science fiction but why would you choose to sit down and watch them now besides to gain the historical perspective? and that's how I feel about most old games too, newer stuff generally does what they did better and anyone who says otherwise is just nostalgiafagging imo

and of course that is not the case with all games just as it is not the case with all films but essentially my point is that newer media builds on older media and thus is starting from a higher ground it doesn't necessarily make it better (and can make it seem worse if it doesn't improve) but it does give it the opportunity to reach higher

PSO2 is the second biggest mmo in Japan right now. After everyone and their grandmother pirated psp games sega stopped giving a fuck about the west and turned completely to Japan.

We evolded, we achieved progress.

there is a new wonder boy game!
thedragonstrap.com/

no idea if it's any good tho

I am gen X, pre-millenial

But user
Its back

>>>/suicide/
Gen X are worse than Baby Boomers and Millenials.

No wonder you post like a retard. And you consume media like a brain dead moron.
Probably because when watching "from a historical perspective" its practical effects and set design are even more impressive than the CG from a mid 2000s action flick that looks worse than most video games from now. You're an artless historically illiterate fucktard.

Playstation had a lot of franchises that were all over the place and now are gone completely.

Reminder that Army Men had over 20 games released over the course of 2 years.

It was around for me, but I never saw hide or hair of it till the Wii re-releases

Kill yourself

thinking about Wonder Boy reminded me of Rygar which reminded me of Golden Axe, which reminded me that A) Golden Axe is super dead and B) I need to post Beast Rider in the underrated games thread

Turrican is another classic game series that used to be EVERYWHERE that I doubt most modern "gamers" have ever even heard of

and you're a pretentious hipster who slavishly praises the past while shitting on the present ('ω')
don't you have some complaining about trump to do? ( *´艸`)

also,
see, I can misrepresent people too

Kill yourself

Have a (You), it's on the house.

Haven't heard a fucking thing about it since IV aside that it got a V and a F2P piece of shit.

Also never played IV

I also miss Time Crisis

Phantasy Star still lives on, albeit in the MMO form. You're right that the classic entries are dead though (with the latest to my knowledge being the PS2 remakes of PSI and II).

Final Fantasy (and Square on the whole) seem to overshadow most other JRPGs a lot. Though, that might be that Square actually bothers to market shit (perhaps too much so) out here, while other companies have opted not to over the decades and then whine about western sales being low. Oddly though, even with Final Fantasy probably being the most mainstream of JRPGs in the west, I never did hear much about it back during its heyday from other students when I was in school. Though given how readily I can find copies of pretty much any of them that came west at various used media stores, I doubt it was because of a lack of local fans. maybe they all just opted to keep any liking of it to themselves at the time.

Reminder that Wild Arms is being brought back as a reboot aimed at the mobile audience, as if Sony is saying it has no place getting new entries on their own line of systems anymore.

I was never really into the soul calibur series mostly because I think their character designs are kinda lame on the whole but I REALLY liked SC3 and 4's character editor features

someone should make an MMO fightan

ACTION

That reminded me of
ROCKET LAWCHAIR
And the game is certainly fitting, used to play a shitton of Metal Slug until it dissapeared from Arcades one day.

I like more the 8-bit mode than the european comic style. It's not that the real style is bad, it's just that a big part of the appeal of this series were the japanese sprites.

Since you have travelled so very far, be my guest AND LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU!
I'd still be playing Time Crisis 3 if the bastards from my arcade didn't replaced it with some Rambo shooter nonsense.

This fucking garbage?
I remember testing it out after beating the boss in House of the Dead 3.

The fact that I was trying it after finishing and getting used to such quality title was probably even worse.

The peripherals were also fucking garbage even a nobody company from Japan managed to make a better Arcade, fuck, even the Terminator Salvation licensed arcade was better than that piece of mediocrity.

Its Area 51 tier

Area 51 is a great console shooter.

They really are mouth breathing retards.

I'm talking about the arcade game
Its mediocre, but the atmosphere and story are great.

Who do you think helped make things go this bad?
Most Millenials don't even vote

holy fuck why are you still alive?

Hi milk.

Age of Empires comes to mind.

Some of these older NES games could be made into a decent title today.

Looks like there was Double Dragon Neon in 2012 and Double Dragon IV this year. Guess they are still around, somewhat.

That's the difference between "series" and "franchise". Warcraft is long dead, Fallout is long dead, you can even say that Street Fighter is long dead since the last good SF game was 3rd strike.
But as franchises they are still going.

And god bless them for that.

Monster World x Shantae crossover game when?

Never, fuck Shantae.

Every generation has retards, the posts your replying to come from someone that clearly enjoyed lead paint chips as a daily snack. As a whole gen x was an "empty" generation, they didn't do much of anything, for better or worse. Boomers are probably the worst, their hippie bullshit and tenured teaching positions crafted millenials into the whiny fuckwads plaguing that generation.

What about phantasy star zero?

Every single Phantasy Star game since PSO has been in the Star Hunter Society genre (The same genre as Monster Hunter, God Eater, Toukiden, etc., and is actually the game that started the genre). None of them have been traditional RPGs since the Genesis era.

At least it can't get any worse than it did 7 years ago.

You can thank this piece of shit for killing single player Phantasy Star.

You mean 10 years ago. We've been in a gaming recession since at 2007/2008

As someone who played a lot of single-player PSO when it was time-relevant for me to do so: fuck you, it was all PSO and probably that sexy robot maid.

Nigger, that image is from PSU, not PSO. PSU was a flop that nearly killed Phantasy Star entirely, Sega the decided to salvage it for some spinoffs like Portable and Zero, which I guess gave them enough incentive to make PSO2.

2010/2011was the peak of shittiness though.
Nothing but trash while actually good games were left on the dust.

We should host a private Holla Forums PSOBB server.

Press A to let go.

I don't like comparisons between Phantasy Star and Mohnun. Not only combat is completely different between any given representatives of each franchise, but PS games still follow Diablo 1 progression mode, while Monhun will always give you large interconnected map to hunt your shit around and set traps. They are nothing alike beyond being co-op action games.

It was only flop in the west because Sega of america is piece of shit. Stopping giving a fuck about gaijins was the best sega's decision in decades.

Pretty sure it was Japan's idea to segregate the servers based on platform. PSU was headed up by Japs, it was their fault as mush as SoA

In their defense I can say that PS2 had a lot of jap mmos that didn't survive to the end of console's life cycle. PSU being on PC at all was more of a nod to PSO playerbase rather than business decision. SOJ always cared about their native playerbase.

What are you talking about? It's getting worse everyday.

only for people who slavishly dedicate themselves to the past and can't enjoy new things

I really like the 2016 doom game, it has a lot of nice qualities and I think it's certainly the very best official Doom content to come out since 1994

nudoom is objectively bad singleplayer FPS though.

Everyone back up, we've got a major faggotry leak in this thread.

Died with Hudson

Why make puzzle games when you can make sports games for nintendo!

They still make kunio-kun games

I don't really see what's not to like, user

(picrelated)
you are trying very hard, but everyone is laughing at you
please shape up.

The recession started at least as early as 2003 or 2004. By 2007 and 2008, franchises and companies started dropping like flies. And with that, game genres and gameplay variety narrowed and funneled into cookie cutter gameplay. We're so far removed from the gameplay styles that used to be plentiful and unique to so many franchises that it's no wonder most games play the same and never mind the fact that they look the same.

I'm so mad that I think of making a chart to show where all these companies and franchises started and where they died and I bet you anything it's no coincidence it started happening in the early to mid 2000s.

and that how you fucking sell a remake!

Shitty textures, low poly models and everything being brown-orange is good for you? So low standards right there.

From a game that look like a something from PS3 you'd expect it to run at modern hardware duh.

No. You can run and you can run fast. Wow such movement.

The fuck that even means? You can't even dual wield automatic shotguns like on Wolfenstein New Order, made by the very same dudes. It's bland and boring and shit with terrible sound assets.

Maybe.

Ok this one is true as well.
But as far as FPS gameplay goes it's pretty fucking shit.

Sacred 2 was the last uncucked diablo clone before Grim Dawn and it was mad in 2008. Really makes you think.

It had its share of shitty design decisions, too. There's a reason people say Alpha Systems turned shit into gold with the Portable series. They literally took everything wrong with PSU and fixed it. I do agree that SoA fucked up bad, though. Dragging its feet on updates, refusing to do anything about hacking, and not trying to get collab stuff across the Pacific were all a recipe for a dead game. Foreign servers for Japanese MMOs always seem to just stop trying for some reason, then they wonder why their servers are barren wastelands. SEA PSO2 recently died for being two years behind on updates.

well, I can accept everything as your opinion except the movement stuff you can run fast, you can jump high, you can climb and stack objects, and you can double jump; it feels very good to move around, it's intuitive and enjoyable and actually it reminds me of the movement in Brink although it's not as good as that was (the only good thing in that game tbh)

I do wish you ran a little faster tho. or that it had a run key

but really you think the visuals are bad? did you play it on console or something? hang on, I'll load it up and take some nice screenshots if vulkan mode doesn't cuck me

Pic related, it can't be stressed enough

You are the one being laughed at.

Creator of MonHun straight up said that it was original PSO that inspired and guided him in creating MH…

a buddy of mine back in middle school who had a ps2 loved this series and talked about it all the time

took some random screenshots on a random level, here's the best 10 shots

notice the fine details in the textures which is really impressive considering I only have the textures on setting 4/5 since the top setting requires >4GB of VRAM

This could be from any modern shooter like Destiny or whatever really.

I'm not exactly sure what the complaint there is, that the style isn't distinctive? it's pretty distinctive, you have the mars haze outdoors, blood and gore everywhere, and the weapons have a pretty coherent style, the enemies are all very clearly either analogous to or literally classic doom enemies…

but anyway the images were in reply to who said the game looks PS3-tier which it obviously doesn't, so I guess I was the baited one

user it's not that amazing.
It gave off a very ok-ish feel. I didn't freak out when playing and it just seemed like another game. The visuals were ok and nothing really special from other fps games. The performance was fucking trash- had really weird issues with unstable frame rate and not tracking mouse movement. The gunplay was ok. There was light exploration which was good- and had some secret area stuff which was a nice touch to the old games. I don't even remember the music to be honest. I had no attachment to the story, the game also made the objectives too simple to really give thought about either- it was go to end of level while killing things.

It's not that bad user, don't take everything Holla Forums says as fact.

One thing I really did notice with nuDoom is that they went way too hard on the heavy bass meme. Every fucking sound effect has to have some heavy low tone fart. They used it for everything and it really took away the impact it would have if they threw it in at key points for emphasis.

When I was younger I though we'd still be getting sequels of those PS2 era JRPGs today.

old doom looked better.

pls

Played through the original series recently and am not on G.U. Pretty decent if you ask me, albeit maybe not for everyone. Shame the games are so expensive, and Namco could never be bothered with a pair of comparably cheap HD collections for the PS3, or even digitally rerelease them on the PSN.

Sadly a lot of now classic JRPG series are dead (main living ones being Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Legend of Heroes, SMT/Persona, Tales, and Ys; maybe SaGa as well, but fat chance of Scarlet Grace coming west), and there's a noticeable difference between the sheer brunt of ones that the PS1 and PS2 saw, compared to what was on the PS3.

Unfortunately some companies can't leave well enough be, so we get Capcom digging Ryu's corpse up to reanimate as mobile, and now both Square and Sony are wanting to get in on that mobile pie with series they've done little with for a while (namely Valkyrie Profile for the former, and Wild Arms and Arc the Lad with the latter). Because why make a new IP when you can just reboot an existing one for a newer, "better" audience?

You really want modern day IntSys touching Advance Wars?

reported

The death of 56k also was their death.

I could've done a better job, in all honesty.

Shit, forgot to sage. I guess it doesn't really matter at this point.

>>>/suicide/

They went to Java based games on phones though

Golden age of JRPG is over

Golden age of RTS is over

WTF is someone comparing Phantasy Star to Phantasy Star Online?

Thank you there is still someone with a brain on Holla Forums.

DCS is the only replacement :/

So many hours when I was 12 years old. You almost could have put me in the actual cockpit of a real one and I'd be off to bomb an Iraqi armour column.

how many threads like this do we need?

As many as it takes until we all commit mass suicide.

Anyway I gave up on mainstream games industry but at least Japan is still around.

It's a shame they never made a fourth Tiberium Universe game.
Medal of Honor and CoD share a lot of history so you might consider it alive that way.

That's because that's roughly the time consoles got pleb-friendly multiplayer capability. Lay multiplayer became the main focus and fucked singleplayer (SP needs effort and originality, multiplayer needs skinner-box unlocks at most) and mutliplats became the main focus so PCfags were held back by inferior hardware and consolefags got genres that don't play well with a controller (twitch-based FPS, RTS on the other hand died out almost completely because it's downright unplayable without a mouse and keyboard). Trying to please everyone pleases no-one.

You are confusing an art-style for mere quality of graphics. A good test is this: if you can tell from quickly glancing at a thumbnail what game you're looking at it (generally) has a distinct, original art style. If not then it can fairly be called bland/unoriginal. There are exceptions to this rule, a game with a complete lack of art-direction could have an incoherent mess of different art-styles and still be recognisable from a thumbnail alone but that's rare.
DooD just looks like any other psuedo-SF FPS of the current era, the graphics are of a competent level of quality but are otherwise completely unremarkable in the literal sense of the word.

It's the same shit except you spam your best ability and occasional heal in real time and not through menu.

where the fuck were you living that anyone else besides maybe one other nerd at your school had even heard of Phantasy Star?

Well Halo did kill FPS's.

This. Almost all the 90's JRPGs were on SNES, and as far as Genesis goes, I think more people have heard of Shining Force.

Even there, JRPG's were a niche thing in the West despite the fact that most of the best selling third party SNES games were JRPG's. Journalists may praise Chrono Trigger and FF6 all they want, but the majority of American SNES consumers didn't play those games when they came out and that was in spite of the greater marketing JRPG's had in the West compared to the few localized Genesis RPG's. I love Phantasy Star IV, but even though that thing was a Sega property, Sega of America even in the Genesis days had little interest in bringing over JRPG's compared to Nintendo of America. It's kind of funny how the image of Sega was so different in America, really. In America, Sega was the "too cool for school" console with SANIC and uncensored Mortal Kombat 3, but in Japan, Sega was probably more well known for stuff like Phantasy Star, Shining Force and Sakura Wars.

The only time Phantasy Star ever got close to blowing up in the West was when Phantasy Star Online came out for Dreamcast and Gamecube.

END IT ALL AND LEAVE FOR EV-ER

Ok I didn't grow up in the States, and the 90's WAS the golden age of rpgs, but I thought PS was pretty niche.

It is, the way I found out about PS was when I first got into emulation (Which was 2009, and I was in middle school).

Which, also makes me wonder, how many other anons in the thread are emulationfags? Where they weren't even born during the time of the games we're talking about?

What is that scream from?

Meaning, it makes you realize things were much BETTER back in the day.

Are you thinking of Camelot? The Lolo series is from Kirby/Box Boy developer, HAL Laboratory. At least Lolo and Lala get cameos as bosses in the Kirby games, so they aren't completely forgotten.

Remember when Final Fantasy wasn't about boy bands and j-pop idols?

just came here to tell you to kill yourself

You mean, VI and prior?

delightful

Someone at work once tried to explain Sword Art Online to me, and I ran out of ways to say "that's definitely copied from dotHack, except not as good".
The anime and manga branches of the franchise keep going, but the game characters are stuck in Cameo Hell, only appearing in stuff like Project X Zone.

They're probably talking from a Bongistan perspective; Sega dominated the UK console market in the Master System and Mega Drive days.
Really, you should bully OP for being an Old Man instead.

We ran a guild on ephinea.pioneer2.net/ for a while; should we revive it, or start fresh?

Remember when Phantasy Star was a cool RPG series and then had a cool MMO and then a cooler spin-off series?

haha, I'm glad no one turned it into SAO.

FUCK.

it was written by some faglord who thinks that rip and tear can be boiled down to drop-C chugalug riffs interspersed with nonsense pinch harmonics. it's worse than noise, because noise can be tuned out, it's just annoying garbage

Doom 64 had the best OST of all the doom games

I got bored and autistically calculated the diameter of each sphere of Alisa III.
all of the shops have the same size
It takes ten steps to walk horizontally from wall to wall on the inside of a shop
and 5 steps to walk completely across a store front in a town map
so steps in interior to town maps are 2:1
dungeons to town maps are also 2:1 because I also measured the steps taken in the landen castle dungeon from the castle throne room to the shop exit and the distance actually worked

town maps take an average of 60 steps to cross horizontally
double that to account for the steps taken on the interior scale and its 120 steps across

on the overworld map it takes only 2 steps to cross a town front so each step on that scale is actually 60 steps
because its tedius to walk across the overworld while running into battles I measured the overworld by pixels
each town is 33 pixels across, so 33 pixels is 120 steps
each world sphere is 3007 pixels across
now to convert to steps
3007 / 33 = 91.12121212121212
91.12121212121212 x 120 = 10934.54545454545 steps
now I'm going to equate a step to a geometrical pace which is 1.5 meters, representing the distance between the places at which the same foot rests on the ground in walking.
10934.54545454545 x 1.5 = 16401.81818181818 meters

so the diameter of each sphere of Alisa III is 16.4 kilometers.
after doing the area calculations there are about 211 square kilometers of land and water surface area in each sphere.

Not emulation but I bought a bunch of old classic JRPGs on Steam and PSN. Games like Grandia 2 and Xenogears.

They don't make them like that anymore. I enjoyed those purchases more than some of the new games I play. Proof that games do not age.

to be fair, it's not actually SAO

the key difference is that in PSO2 the VR game is simply a way to interface with a real world that already exists (even if the players don't realize it)

it's a subtle distinction and it isn't made clear until most of the way through episode 4 but it is there

time for me to go get some wendy's

It's a shame that the PSN and VC are still noticeably lacking in some classics, JRPG or otherwise, for whatever reason. It took five solid years after putting the first game up for Konami to get Suikoden II up there (which proceeded to become either the best selling or best rated digital game the month it was put up, or something), but at least they got it up there. Meanwhile, Namco hasn't bothered with doing rereleases of the old PS1 Tales games despite how popular the series has gotten out here over the last half decade, though if memory serves the lack of PSN versions is not just an issue here, but in Japan as well. And with Capcom, Breath of Fire III was absent for the longest time, and when they DID finally put it up, it's the PAL PSP port rather than the PS1 original. I'm sure that if there were cheap PSN rereleases of the likes of Tales of Destiny or Tales of Eternia, those wouldn't have remained amongst the more forgotten entries in the series (here in the west anyhow; Japan loves them some Destiny, though even Eternia seems mildly forgotten if interest from fan-artists is an indication). As it is, if one isn't inclined/able to emulate, it's either shelling out close to/over $100 each, or just writing off playing them.

Square does better than most as far as getting their classic games up there, but they're still missing a handful (Brave Fencer Musashi and both SaGa Frontiers, for examples; all three having JP PSN versions to my knowledge, but no NA/PAL ones), and seem to have a dislike for anything Enix used to publish. Sony themselves have also done reasonably well (Wild Arms 1, 2, and 3, and Legend of Dragoon all now having PSN versions), but also have a few JRPGs they've managed to forget about (Legend of Legaia and Jade Cocoon), and being that they own both their own games and the PSN as a service, they have no excuse to not put them up for easy money.

Nice.

It's a Western game so the devs and publisher are almost certainly social justice cuckmasters and anyone who buys their shit is helping to fund their cause.

Part of the reason why numerous vintage games don't see a rerelease is due to one of two reasons.

The first of which is the legal mess that the game exists within. From what I've been told, numerous games up to the sixth gen operated on some screwed up contract that states that everyone involved with the games development literally owned whatever piece of the game they worked. So, to release the game today, a company would have to search down every single person involved with the original game's development (For numerous companies that don't even exist anymore) if they want to release the game without any legal troubles. And, that is the most brought up circumstance. There are other instances where a game cannot be modified due to some legal restriction, the game's rights existing in some void because the company ended but no one bought them, and/or the fact that a company has to go through some multipartner deal that could end up going nowhere if one partner leaves (Look up why they went for a remake of Goldeneye 007 instead of rereleasing the N64 game).

The second reason is that the company simply doesn't want to rerelease the game, which boggles a lot of people's minds as to why. The common excuse could be one of two things, either they holding onto the game because they don't want it to compete with their current line of titles, or they're waiting for the right time to release it to promote another one of their products (And, it's at this point that you realize that these two are opposites of the exact same point, with both sides proving to have some warrant). The other two excuses could be that the company doesn't know about the game, or they think that it will not sell. Due to the messy history some companies have, it would not be surprising that not all companies realize what games they have. For example, did you know that Martian Gothic: Unification, Nocturne, Brutal: Paws of Fury, and Scaler are all owned by Take-Two (The parent company of Rockstar and 2K), or that all of Virgin Interactive's and Titus' old line now belongs to Interplay (who are going through their own set of problems last I heard). And, then, with the second reason, I don't know how to make something much clearer than they do not want to waste the money. AFAIK, there isn't been any information revealed about how much it costs to make the emulators for these games, put them through a rating board in some instances, pay the company to host them on their storefront, and then release them. After a certain point, some companies would probably just say "To heck with it" and just focus on their current line, and it doesn't help that vintage games don't necessarily sell unless they're part of the public eye (Like with StH, TLoZ, Super Metroid, Resident Evil), or they're memed into attention (Earthbound, NiGHTS). And, then, there's with some companies which are waiting for the "right time" to release a game (Which will unfortunately be never for some of them).

Simply put, the laws video games have to abide by need to change if we want this medium to survive.

I can only tell the last screenshot is DooD, and that's only because they kept it to a fleshy pinkish red for him. If he was grey I'd mistake him for a redone knight from Doom 3.

Unfortunately, the "standard" solution is to give everyone the same terrible contract they hand out for movies and other entertainment- the company owns everything and individual programmers and designers will never own anything about the product. That leads to some soulless corporation blocking the creator from making a sequel to a fan-favorite game. Fixing copyright law by narrowing copyright's length and reach is the only permanent solution.

lol

So I have to squint my eyes and hunt for the Doom stamp, just to make sure I'm playing Doom and not Halo.

That still doesn't stop anything I mentioned in the second point.

Doomguy looks like master fucking chief on the cover for fucks sake, the armors for online multiplayer is barely indistinguishable from Halo multiplayer armors, the multiplayer plays almost exactly the same the one difference is Demon transformation, it's all shit brown and indistinguishable from so many other modern shooters the fact I have to stop and look for the fucking Doom specific UAC logos is bullshit, and only half the enemies are distinct enough in appearance I could tell Doom 4 from the thumbnail which is luckily one you show in your screenshots.

The second point is addressed by copright law: a company can sit on something if they want to because the law gives them the right to do so for well over a century now. The "Disney Vault" is well-known and is something many companies do, and would be addressed by fixing copyright law.

meant for

That only makes you a fuckin' bigger target.

Fuck you nigger, I vote in fucking STATE elections alongside the presidential.

you want to know why the Gen Xer's are so fuckin' bad? They grew up without the net and grew up in an age where people threw propaganda at them constantly and you fucks ate that shit up.

You're brainwashed and think you know everything, and you're the least educated out of all the fucking generations.

If the baby boomers were corporate shills and homewreckers, you fucks are the hippies who shit around doing fucking nothing while claiming to know everything, then you have kids and fuck it up for them too because you're so fucking sure of yourself that you fuck up their education.

I had to get most of my education online, from older textbooks, from other students while you braindead retards tried your best to not OD on the drugs you took before class while you "teach".

Even the nice and relatively clean ones of your generation are fucking stupid as rocks.

B-but muh bootstraps!
Never mind that my parents grew up in postwar abundance, I got the afterglow, and we both pissed it away for the later generations. Just because we would rather reverse mortgage our house to get a few extra shekels a month, import beaners to mow the lawn for two dollars cheaper than some local kid will, and then kvetch every time someone talks about killing Social Security or Medicare doesn't mean that you kids can't be as successful!

Oh, what's that, Millennials and Gen Z are respectively completely apathetic about the future because there isn't one haha, short-term economic prosperity for me is more important than that and politically fanatical because boomer politics are total shit and reflect a time when America wasn't filled with non-whites or being quite as viciously raped by the Jew? Surely this couldn't be my doing, the new generations just don't know the value of hard work!

>Siri, send post to Holla Forums! SIRI!

Don't worry sonny, you only missed the golden years of the internet before you reached puberty.

So you're saying I have one more thing to blame you fucks for ruining?

Yes, you should blame your parents for not having an accident sooner.

The pain. It hurts.

I've come across the realization that pain like this is commonplace, so I stopped reacting like this for my own sanity.

Doesn't mean i ain't pissed as fuck about it and want to see this sort of shit get taken down the hill and shot.

Yeah, I miss when kids would respond to some guy trying to appeal with emotional platitudes to not bully disabled kids with downed syndrome on popular forums. Que dozens of replies where kids try to squeeze the word fuck in as many times as possible while calling you a retard, que 100's of pages where it's basically 2-5 autists screeching "what the fuck did you say to me little bitch? fucking retard"

Won't that involve wiping out the entire generation that was involved and promoted these type of development? It's like the faster and more interconnected the internet is the bigger the impact it has on creativity and innovation. The internet was a blessing and a curse but I'm starting to forget what the blessing was when all I see is youplays, e-celebs, retards, special snowflakes, and of course the net authoritarian.

I grew up in that era and this IP certainly WAS NOT everywhere. Great game though.

It's not even the same genre, forget about being a remotely similar experience.

No, You could make do with a select few quiet assassinations on the top and then enact a little social reform through government.

Harder then it sounds, but much easier and more effective then genocide.

Generally because it's not fucking retarded like whatever the hell you're suggesting.

If they put up Xenosaga series, the Tales series, Dragon Quest 8 or the .hack games I'll buy them for €10-€15 each no hesitation.

I can only imagine there is a huge copyright headache going on or just no faith in the profitability of old games.

Yeah it takes AT LEAST 70 years for copyright to expire. Somebody still owns the rights for Space Invaders.

I heard one of the guys over at Namco was wanting to try to get a trilogy compilation to happen (like a PS3 collection, or something) a year or two back, but there wasn't enough interest from fans. But at least they asked there. Namco's content to ignore .hack these days, especially in the west. I think the most recent thing to happen that's we've gotten here were a pair of costumes for Sword Art Online, which seems a bit odd after Namco made no effort to give the west Asbel's Haseo outfit for ToGf (both series of which Namco owns, so it wasn't as if there was a question of getting external rights, the way Sophie's Hatsune Miku costume had).

I've honestly pondered that myself. The PSN and VC would be a great way to give previously under-appreciated games another chance (and to some degree it has been, when actually attempted, such as Suikoden II, MML2, and Misadventures of Tron Bonne being put up there), but I'd wager some companies see it as a "if it didn't sell then, it might not sell in [CURRENT YEAR] either". That, being despite the clear demand the aftermarket shows, which unfortunately makes older games typically suffer from scalpers looking to kike, and dumbass hipsters with too much money to spend and too little patience/common sense to wait for good deals or just emulate.

Still, Xenosaga Episode I and Dragon Quest VIII weren't exactly slouches in sales out here. I can only imagine that Square's excuse is simply that they've done their best to make sure Enix's old games aren't rereleased. Not sure what Namco's excuse might be though; they've proven rather fond of KOS-MOS, tossing her into other games as cameos and outright crossover, even here in the west.

Oh right, seeing how the PSN has been handled, wherein most PAL only (as far as western releases go) are absent from the NA one, and vice versa, you'd be looking at only Xenosaga Episode II, DQ VIII, and .hack//IMOQ perhaps seeing rerelease, as Xenosaga Episodes I and III didn't make it there, nor did .hack//G.U. Same for any PS1 and PS2 Tales games (though at least Eternia saw a PSP port for you guys out there, and one NA wasn't cleared to get).

I see. And yes, you're right about copyright needing to be reworked. I mean, it's one thing for a company or individual to want to make a profit while a game is current, and to have a say in what is done with their work, be it official or fan-made. But when it reaches the point that rights can be held nigh indefinitely if someone wants to keep forking over cash, and rights sat on for absolutely no discernible reason (IE: publisher refuses to make new games, let alone even do reprints/rereleases), it really gets to be kind of shit.

While I'm certainly mad at Capcom over Breath of Fire 6, at the very least they don't own their own line of systems themselves that you'd think the games would by all means be exclusive to in the first place.

If it helps, the few potentially good things to come from Wild Arms' anniversary are some new artwork (both official and fan-made, spurred by the event), and "Score Re;fire" which seems to be an upcoming compilation of official arrangements by Naruke.

That's a bit… small, don't you think?

by those numbers each worldship as a whole would be able to fit land space in between the size of puerto rico and montenegro within

just started replaying both of those, never finished them sadly, modern devs would fuck them up

Fuck off marketer