Is it really as good as many say it is?

Is it really as good as many say it is?

Other urls found in this thread:

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_VII_enemies
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No

Yes

It aged incredibly bad.
To put it into perspective, it comes from the time when every dev was trying to make the jump to 3d, and they were some of the first to do it.
The gameplay might be fun at times but the fps drops, clunky map navigation, trivial "collectaton" mechanics to earn new spell and shit put me off after a dozen hours.

FF7 came out in 1997. It's been 20 years since then, and few games can live up to 20 years of hype and nostalgia, so no.

No, shit had a ton of marketing behind it and better JRPGs were avaiable in English at the time.
It was the Halo of its time
It still is

Final fantasy was always trash anyway.

6 and 9 are better

Probably not.

Still a better game than Final Fantasy VI though

No. FF6 was the high water mark (FFT being the 2nd best FF, FF4, then FF5, then FFX, and after that fuckoff except FF1-3).

It's not
ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER MADE
like some normalfags might say, but it's still a very enjoyable game

Its the best Final Fantasy game and a really great adventure. Final Fantasy being a pretty mediocre series in itself with very little depth, but its definitely worth playing.

Games can't "age" in anything other than years. Its still the exact same game since release.

No shit faggot, yet having 3d elements is not impressive anymore and in my opinions they are a setback because of how much they focused money and resources in them.
That's why we hate memes in videogames, because they age and they are not funny anymore (if ever).

Yes.

It's not the best game ever made, but it is a lot of fun. It's pretty much dumb as fuck over the top 90s anime in video game form.

The plot is pants on head retarded, but the art and sound direction is phenomenal. The materia system allows for some relatively deep customization. The cast is varied enough that there's at least one character that any person can like. It was Yuffie for me For a game from 1997, there's a good deal of enemy variety. Hell, compared to most modern games, the enemy variety far surpasses them. The mingames are all over the place. They're not particularly good, but there's a decent variety of them, which was seen much in games up until that point.

Final Fantasy 7 set the bar for quality for the late 90s/early 2000s, and it hasn't been properly replicated since, and least as far as I know. The game is overrated, but it is phenomenal. Also, don't I see this thread at least once a week?

Worst final fantasy and it predicted the decline of the franchise as a whole. It should have never existed and the staff should be executed as a whole.

I enjoyed the materia system.
The ability to modify the effects of weapons and the magic itself thanks to the materia and the way you could link them.

Really wish that sort of thing was used in more games.

Quite Possibly The Greatest Games Ever Made™

None of what you said made sense. Might as well attack SM64 for having 3D.

3D is 3D, you can't say it's 2.5

Dragon Quest is an infinitely better series

But it sells less, how is it better when it sells less ahahahahahah

Not even close. FF is a highly overrated series. It's the CoD of JRPGs.

Anyone with good taste will tell you SMT is the far superior choice.

FTFY

What is her name, i keep forgetting it

Fair enough, I miss the golden age too.

At least FF7 can be beaten in 0 A presses. Take that fag.

Considering most people say it's garbage these days(people haven't called it the best game ever in like 10-15 years. The hipist, most swag opinion to have now is that it's overrated and 4,6,9, and Tactics are better.), I'd say it's better than many say. It's not the best RPG or even the best JRPG ever made, but it's still a fun and solid game. The combat is usually pretty fast and smooth, the materia system is simple to understand yet offers a fair amount of depth, the story is slightly above average for a JRPG, and there are a ton of sidequests and worthwhile secrets scattered throughout the world. The only real pain is that, because of the graphics, it can be hard to tell what is and is not an entrance/exit. However, if you press the select button an arrow will pop up over every doorway that it's possible to pass through.

And anyone with patrician taste will tell you that Growlanser is far superior to SMT.

I've yet to play this game, but I keep hearing good things about it.
Is it better on an emulator or on original hardware?

Growlanser a shit

Sell me on this series. I tried one of the PS2 installments and I thought it was legitimately terrible. I'm willing to be convinced.

They're 2D sprite based games(except for 5 and 6, which aren't worth your time) so they should run fine on an emulator.

They're real-time strategy RPGs with a ton of depth, really good stories, and art done by a legendary hentai artist. Some of the games are like Chrono Trigger, where outside of combat you're free to explore fields, dungeons, and towns, and you encounter enemies on the map and fight them on the same screen.Others are like Final Fantasy Tactics, where outside of combat it's just menus. They're some of the only games I've played where the harder battles require all of your focus to win.

Was it Heritage of War? That one isn't very good. Once the series moved to 3D it really went downhill.

FF7 is trash.
It's not even the best FF on playstation 1

While FF8 is fun, drawing to max out shit is a tedious process.

You really don't need it.
Also you're supposed to play cards casually while you go along with the story and use those to make magics

Coal-Burner Caroline.

(checked)
/thread

Ah the rallying cry of the FF8 fags.

How did you get that from my post I will never know

It came out in 1997. This was a year after Mario 64. Two years after Jumping Flash. A year after Crash Bandicoot and the same year of Crash Bandicoot 2. The graphics were always god awful.

Boring fucking game that gets by on having some of the most autistic fans who can't let go of it because it was one of their first RPGs and hit just the right level of edginess for their tween minds.

I have to admit I never used cards for magic coversion. Does it give you full 99 stacks, or what ?

I don't think it's 99 but it's still a considerable amount

This.

It's good but not as good as FF6

Well I just used draw like a madman. Got pretty strong basic attacks.

Yeah I guess that's the way to do it if you don't want to play the sidegame, which is too bad because Triple Triad is fucking great

Most people talk about how it's overrated or aged poorly instead of delivering any actual criticism.

If anything it's a much better game than most people will lead you to believe.

This. FF6 and 5 really deserved a remake, at least like the one 4 got for the psp. But hey, at least we get a full remake of FF7 right? :^)

It's a turn based rpg, it's the same as any of em. There's no such thing as a good/smart turn based rpg.

But non-turn based ones are even worse.
Name me 3 actually good ones.

FF6 is one of the worst FF games, period.

back off she's muh waifu

Uhhhhh…..

Why would you think that ?

Materia System was cool, but could have been greatly improved
Visuals aged badly, really badly
Story is Good

I have absolutely no idea why people like FF6. I played most of it, but couldn't actually finish it because it was so boring and seemed to go nowhere with the story. The story being pretty much the only reason to play FF games in the first place.

How many unique enemy models are there? Color swaps and size changes don't count. I know it used color swaps, as most FF games do, but I think it abused them much less then others, despite the 3D modelling and animating being much more resource intensive that the previous 2D games.

it was revolutionary for its time but is hasnt aged well, especially for non-RPG fans.

It's not COMPLETELY overrated, like LoZ:MM, because it did change alot of things for the entire genre and industry at the time, like Half Life did. But like Half Life or Deus Ex, it just hasnt aged well at all.

Some games age better than others, like NES/Super Nintendo games and shit, but 3D games tend to age quicker. an example of 3D games that aged well would be SM64 or Crash Bandicoot and such. MGS maybe, depending on who you talk to.

I don't want to count, there's too many.
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_VII_enemies

It never is.

autism alert

Wait, wasn't that the one where they unnecessarily added voices to all the characters? Please don't tell me you want 5 and 6 to be subjected to that garbage.

Are you sure you played most of it? It only mostly fucks around until the halfway point.

There's no way I can remember where I got to like 15 years ago or something.
I'm sure that after saying "only half of it is bad" you don't actually think FF6 is a good game. Right?

Well it's extremely overrated amongst normalfags, but around here people shit on it quite often, and at best will tell you honestly that it's just mediocre. Also the most overrated game of all time is OoT
Don't do that.

Half Life aged pretty well all things consdering. The opening train sequence is pretty much the only "it was great back in the day, trust me" part to it. Other than that, despite being the game which started the cinematic shit in shooters, it's also possibly the best example of how to do that while simultaneously remembering it's supposed to be a game.

Jesus no, that one was for the DS. The extra difficulty on that was welcome but not much else. The psp one is the same game, just with updated graphics and the extra content from the gba port. look up FF4 complete collection.

Lots of shit happens before the halfway point, but the story has a more coherent goal and direction after that. Don't be autistic.

It's p shit. Both in terms of gameplay and story.
It's morrowind of jrpgs.

Half Life 2 is the one that gets (wrongly) credited with that. The industry was already plagued with cutscenes everywhere and while Valve wanted to make a real story now that the medium was "more mature" they refused to take control away from the player. So they started locking you in rooms.

The "story" in Half Life is basically the intro and then there's a bunch of people you can mostly ignore throughout the games that can give you clues. In rare occasions they do need to unlock doors for you though. Like when you get the plasma pack or whatever.

Of course "lots of shit happens" that doesn't mean its good. Don't be autistic. You were the one who said:
Which means that half of the game (according to your statement) isn't good.

Stop intentionally misconstruing what I say like an autist.

I'm not though. That's what the thing you wrote actually means. I can't help if you have autism and thus don't understand social interaction.

FF7 isn't "11/10 the best game ever" but it is really good. For the record, I played it on a PSX emulator in 2015. My first Final Fantasy was FF6 played from an FFIII SNES cart in 2000. Even though FF6 is nostalgic for me, I still think FF7 did everything that it did better.

The game has fantastic art direction. The sounds, music, and visuals all just "work". Even the "lego man walking on a prerendered image" is forgivable when you consider that it was a just a transition from the usual "birds-eye perspective of a chibi walking on a tileset" from 2d games. In fact, one of the good things about the pre-rendered environments is that it allowed Square to use different dare I say it, CINEMATIC camera angles (the best ones were the airship scene at Junon and climbing the hill near the Corel reactor). The enemy designs are varied and some of them are whimsical, unlike post-9 entries (I like 10, but one of the things that irked me was the 5+ palette swaps for most enemies).

The gameplay is typical for a JRPG. Much of the joy comes from customization, because every character is the same besides minor stat differences and limit breaks. I spent most of the game rolling with Red XIII and Barrett. The materia system lets you make some cool customizations when you get a lot of leveled materia. If you aren't retarded, the game is really easy.

The plot was good. I wasn't heavily spoiled beyond "Aeris dies lololololol" so I could appreciate learning the truth about Cloud's head problems and about Sephiroth's true nature. All the characters have decent little backstories and the cutscenes are pretty good. I'm not a fag about "complexity" or "depth" in stories or any other literati buzzwords; if you are, then you should go hang around shitty coffee shops and hit on 16 year old tumblrites instead of playing video games. As said it's basically 90's anime.

Anyone with patrician taste will tell you that (relatively less known game) is better than (relatively more popular game)

demon souls, dark souls 1+3, bloodborne, Terranigma, crystal chronicals(GC), fallout new vegas (modded), icewind dale 1+2, baldurs gate 1+2, pillars of eternity. And others I can't remember off the top of my head.

there's only so much you can do in a turn based rpg, none of them have interesting combat.

Good thing you named rpgs with good combat

yeah… that's why I named rpgs with good combat…

Holla Forums is nothing but edgy faggots who like convoluted story bullshit. No wonder you retards hype up every fart Kojima passes your way.

Yeah, dark souls is my favoritest rpg, right after MGR

You're just too young to understand it.
Maybe come back in a few years, yeah?

well If your reasoning behind why it doesn't have rpg elements is because it has too much action game elements then your seeing it the wrong way. Would you consider a turn based game where the only options available to you are "attack" "defend" and you and every enemy had a health pool that goes up with every level?
"rpg" is loosely defined by having a character whose progression is controlled by player decisions. "Role-playing-game" has never been an accurate description because that would make every video game an rpg where a main character plays a main role or a party plays many roles.
Dark souls is considered an rpg because your characters type of progression is statistically controlled, that's the only thing rpgs have that other games not considered rpgs don't have, Otherwise you'd be right about MGR being an rpg.
but if it's simply because its not turn based then whatever jamoke I'm done talking to you

You are the cancer that is killing RPGs.

Pretty sure he was memeing.

Somebody is triggered.

Is it?

Did I take a wrong turn and end up on reddit?

im not done talking
but if you simply think its because its not turn based then I am done talking.
you haven't actually said a damn thing other than "favoritest rpg, right after MGR".

bub, your shit is all over the place, you better start giving some examples of what you think an rpg is or im just gonna assume that you think Dark souls isnt and MGR is.

Try Ultima, Wizardry, Fallout, Arcanum, ToEE

This fucking idiot can't even into IDs.

I think while developing it they had a few ideas they wanted to get across. They wanted a serious antagonist who causes some real damage in the world and the party must reap the seeds of what was sown and try to make the best of it. Here's the problem:

they forgot to have good characters, good story beats (the few there are - are fucking terrible), good game play, good art, and good music. It's absolutely one of the worst FF games of all time. The people who like it can't defend it, instead they attack better games in the franchise.

If everyone starts calling something overrated, the value of that appraisal becomes a point of contention because no one is actually saying anything about it other than a lot of people think highly of it. Then, since everyone else is saying its overrated, who is saying anything highly of it?

there's the problem with your line of thought.

wrong. You just don't like the genre and have nothing to contribute.

No.
Planescape Torment isn't that good either.

that's just because it's a bad game, but that's a different story.

I just brought it up because neither of these "RPGs" held in highest regard from the 90s are very good, even compared to similar games of the day. desu

Ok these might be interesting but the rest of what you give is either action rpg solely focused on the action part or action with pause.
I will never get this recent notion that turn-based is inferior and then giving pausable games as an example or something that barely passes for an RPG.
The appeal is in the thousands of combinations of items, spells, attacks or dialogue options that you get. Something that is hard or impossible to get in action games.
No dark souls weapon upgrades 1-10 don't really add anything, when the opposite comparison with final fantasy spells evolve the spell into something completely different cure-cure2-regen-cure3, barrier - reflect - wall, the all- combinations, final attack + something, etc all the shenanigans with GFs in ff8, junctioning spells to attacks, health, resistances and etc.
You don't get to do that shit in such depth in action rpgs. And that is usually the appeal.

ff7 is a good game with solid game play and an enjoyable game play system to interact with. planet escape torrent is goon bait and like a lot of classics on that platform really aren't very good which is why they've had such little influence.

See, here's a funny thing. Your criteria for rpg is obviously as loose as your mum's asshole and you consider mods to be fair game. Then you proceed to say this about turn-based rpgs
So what is JA 2 1.13? Is it not an rpg or maybe its combat is less in depth than that of meme souls?
Come on, make my day, underage faggot.

I think FF7 might be the ONLY JRPG where anyone fucks. If you keep the relationship between Cloud and Tifa good (cleverly concealed as a relationship points counter the game never shows you), there's a really nice scene later on where they talk about things and then fuck. Without a good relationship, it'll be a much less personal conversation with no fucking. I legitimately think it might be the only JRPG to convey sex between main chars, even if the sex is not shown but clearly implied.

The only thing that bothers me is they fuck and sleep on a grassy hill, with a big rock as a pillow, on an audibly gusting, windy night. Not even a blanket! That's retarded.

:^)

nah

What a pity.

It's only ambiguous if you're too autistic to get the hint.
I can't believe I didn't pick up on it as a kid. Is there another JRPG that even does this?

Xenogears?

Yes, it's a timeless classic.

No.

I actually like this.

lol fag

It was good when it came out. Then it was raped by its extended-universe tie-in games and movie. These days its just nostalgia and trolling. Should you play it? Naw. Would you play it? You tell me.

But if you really want to know if it is good or not? Play the fucking game and find out yourself

Maybe…. it's either the best or the second best FF game depending on your taste.
It was the last good one in the entire series before squaresoft shit the bed.

He was cheeky motherfucker for the most of the game.
It's expanded universe that made him edgy emo faggot.

It's fuckig great JRPG that didn't age at all. Unless you hate genre as a whole, not play FF7 is missing out.