Indie dev here

Indie dev here.

Game is on Greenlight. I've followed other indie titles, meshed up elements from games from the 90's which were critically acclaimed, added some history and made a small demo so far.

It's not a platform 2d game. It's not a FPS. It's an MMO turn-based game with real-time world mechanics.

No game journalism website, even for indies, will cover my game. Probably because I refuse to give a dime to them for doing their job. What do?

Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907046271
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lD9Qkf-mts48vUAyTOtZTIg2-gjT5WDxmz_sg28eIGQ/htmlview
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907046271
archive.is/QmooX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We don't care about your shit game user

Are you even trying?

Uh Oh. OP. You're gonna get bullied!!

Bring it.

Killing yourself would be a good start.

Shill everywhere and anywhere. Get gameplay videos and screenshots and post them on leddit, vidya forums, 4chin, etc.

Tell us more about your game in great detail and why you think it's good.

go shill on 4cuck instead

You guys know the drill

What game, fagboat?

I'm not shilling. I'm the guy behind the game development. It's not shilling when the owner himself of a company is putting his head up for the people.

It has no fantasy aspects whatsoever. It features real sound effects from swordfighting to armor/shield sounds. It features fifteen ancient, dead languages being spoken in some sort by the warriors. It is based off the surging of the European civilizations after the fall of the Roman Empire, and you are a leader of a band of warriors laying waste on the other tribes for personal glory, wealth and such.

It has no faggotry with wizardry and such, it's simply warriors sticking their swords and spears into the bowels of other people, no SJW shit aside. Just something with a huge influence out of games of old.

I'm not spoonfeeding you. Read what the game is all about and check the Greenlight catalog. You'll spot it quite easily.

We drill OP?~

You might want to post the fucking game before asking for our opinions.

Post game and post key nigga. Until then this thread is hot air.

i scrolled through 5 pages of greenlight and couldn't find it
this is why your game gets no attention you stupid fucking faggot, you need to shill and get that shit out there

Are you implying magic makes things automatically suck? I respectfully disagree but have to say that magic can indeed be the anathema to a setting or game if not properly implemented.

Can you tell a bit about mechanics you plundered and new ones you came up with yourself? How about some information about how far you are into development? Which features can we expect in terms of the MMO aspects? Is it this game: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907046271 ?

If you can't bother into ticking a box and flipping a page, you're not my target audience. You're a lazy faggot who wants everything to be catered to your needs and whims. As I said before, this game has plenty of 90's influence, and that means, you faggots will have to think and do some effort to progress, instead of gaining archievements for every three clicks of your mouse.

OP is insecure about his game and probably afraid he'll piss off his faggot friends if they hear he posts on hatechan.

I think he's trolling the thread

Why would you post on an imageboard just to lie?

Kek, now i am sure this is a bait thread.

Tick the fucking RPG tag and look for anything that remotely looks historical.

What I'm saying is that the lack of magic and fantasy elements makes the game less marketable.

There isn't many new things per se, but mainly things which were quite good in the past and are not seen that much in today's game, such as unique equipment attributes and tactics which need to be used according to a unit's training and gear, multi-lateral unit progression (the same soldier can be trained in different paths, resulting in different outcomes and unpredictability in some way for the enemy), you are not the "king" of the tribes, you are simply a leader of varied greatness which can join with other leaders (guild system) to form bigger armies which can either fight other armies, conquer cities or lay waste in a bigger more cohesive force.

I can go on if you'd like.

So if I'm not overt, I'm lazy for not advertising. If I'm too overt, I'm a shill trying to advertise.

Nice try. Others will make it and find the game because it's fucking obvious how to do it; tick a box, flip a page. You didn't, because you're incompetent.

Truly anudda shoah
Have you contacted the ADL yet?

OP hasn't made anything and is just trying to get people to raid generic historical games on greenlight.

Is OP retarded?

Pay me for finding your game.

>hwat gaem?
Good news , this place is growing it's own variety of retardation , we don't need to import anymore

Turn-based combat, real-time world.

What if I didn't? What if it's just a raid? The game looks shitty, right? It's pure generic historical garbage that literally everyone has tried before and therefore shouldn't be funded. Right?

Tick a box, flip a page on the Greenlight page. If you can't, again, you're not my audience.

post your shitty game you giant nigger faggot

So basically this thread has no reason to exist. Quality shitposting OP.

Your game is history just like all these other failed greenlight games, so it doesn't stand out.

really nigger?
you would have been better off doing a (1) and done shill thread, now you've just pissed everybody off

the jews are getting crafty

Maybe if the game was good and OP wasn't a massive faggot then he would get neither of those responses

Is this reverse psychology or something? I'm sorry but your game is shit and I say this as someone who's never seen it because you're acting like too much of a faggot to show us, so that's my first impression of the game. If it's a 2d MMO that isn't Advance Wars Online it was already bound to be shit, but this thread confirms that your game, whatever game it may be, is total SHIT

it's almost as if it's a bad idea to try and shill a game here

I was mildly interested but hey, you really convinced me to not give a fuck.

Good fucking job, nigger, a potential customer alienated by your shitty thread. You deserve a promotion.

good luck with that

Also, youtube, smaller youtubers.
I saved this doc a long time ago in case I ever finished my game.
Feel free to use it.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lD9Qkf-mts48vUAyTOtZTIg2-gjT5WDxmz_sg28eIGQ/htmlview

So the game actually exists? I guess OP knows the one who made it and wants it downboated to screw him over.

He didn't even give his game a Massively Multiplayer tag despite it being an MMO, no wonder no one found it.

this is an old ass list

better than nothing faggot

who you callin a faggot

Thanks a lot, user. I'll try contacting them. It's exactly what I could use in this stage. Godspeed.

If you're not interested, then don't post, how about that?

Oversight. I'll correct it to prove I'm the owner. How about that?

If you're gonna be a faggot then don't make threads , how about that ?

I only see you and me here
who do you think

How am I being a faggot? An user got me something I could use, and I thanked him. If you're going to give your constructive opinion on the game, than I'm thanking you too. If you're just antagonizing because the Greenlight link isn't obvious, then maybe I'm not the one being faggot here.

I take that as a yes to my question about the link. I do like the ideas you've presented so far but I've noticed that you haven't answered my inquiry about the state of development at the moment. You seem to have a plan but how far have you come with all of this?

The art on that page doesn't look impressive (the first two pieces presented on their own already look drastically different in terms of line thickness) which can be a bad sign in two ways. 1. This is the final art. Fuck, it's bad. 2. This is not the final art. You are very early in development.
The animations look clunky. The 'realistic' sounds are not impressive and by god, no terrifying screams of pain? What is this? The terrain is some flat shit.

The gameplay is… Well, it's actually very hard to judge whether it is god or bad just from the footage. It mostly just looks like any other game where you move little toy soldiers from parts of the grid to the next.

Your behaviour here also shows a strong misunderstanding on how you should actually market your game. On imageboards of all places you want to come in with as much humility as possible and explain why you think your shit is good in the most personal way possible. You want to show what makes your game truly unique as early as possible. You want to talk about the things you are excited about yourself.
The people here yearn for well executed passion products. They want to get behind developers that love their work and present it without any condescension, be it that air of superiority that the mainstream media and companies give off or the elitism you've shown here. They want detailed explanations of what you do in the game, not No Man's Sky-ish sales blurbs.

Otherwise you end up with this thread. 99% of the posters are now shitting on you. GG.

A little better, but you're still handling this terribly. /agdg/ anons have posted their games on here and received good feedback Rustfag's spergout aside and people don't magically absorb news about new games through thin air. Greenlight is mostly shit anyways so most people don't dig through that manure pile, they hear about greenlight campaigns elsewhere and vote on that one specific game.

what did he mean by this

I'm assuming it's this game. steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907046271

I only skimmed over it but frankly, it looks uninspired and very amateurish. Or at least the entire visual part is. If it's your first game then you shouldn't be surprised that it sucks and that nobody will cover it.
Stop copying what you think is "guaranteed" to succeed. That's not how it works and never will. Make what you actually want to make and put all your effort into it, create something original, even if it's a niche game. Chasing trends is never worth your time.

Also, be honest and present yourself. You already fucked up by complaining in this thread but not straight up showing what you've made, so you're not even giving anyone a chance to tell you what they think. I went out of my way because I'm curious about indie devs in general and want to give genuine advice. Whether you take it is up to you.

this is why there's no hope for the gaming industry

with mods like mark and devs like this faggot OP, there's no hope

now that i know what game it is im downboating it fuck you op

I hate MMOs because I think they're boring as shit, but good luck in your game. Holla Forums is a great place to get real criticism, but be prepared to get called a faggot a lot.

Try the amateur game dev thread. I think there is even a game dev board, but you'll have to find it.

I get what you're thinking: It'd come off as too pushy to put the greenlight link in the OP. I'd agree with you on that one. But when people ask, post that shit or you're just wasting everyone's time.

Oh, I didn't quite understand at first. The game is at a demo stage, as you can see by the gameplay video. It's enough so you can play with someone else in multiplayer battles, but there's a lot of ground to go, still.

The artwork being different is something intentional; the culture of each soldier reflects different arts, and you'll see soldiers being different if say, a Pict meets up with a Saxon.

Screams of pain are something not completely done yet, but you can hear at a part in the footage where one of the soldier critically hits the other, and a grunt is heard.

I'm very humble to those who show humility. You, for example, kindly asked and inquired about the game, and here I am answering. My passion here is to deliver something that was done the way it was done in the past, with updates of what worked in today's game development scene. I don't mind shitposters. You are my target audience, because instead of arguing back and forth for fagginess, you're genuinely interested in conversating about the weak spots of the game and what really got you going.

Yeah, it's something that needs to be done if you want to sell your game, however, and regardless of the huge shitstorm of shit games, a few good ones can be seen here and there.

If you want to use the word "inspiration" instead of "copying", that's more accurate. I've came here other times and got shat on because of blatant shilling. Now, I've made it covert on what the game was, and the response was slightly better. I'd like your opinion, obviously.

The project so far is amateurish because it's what there is for now. It's very early in development. There's very few of it complete, but it's there.

Will do.

It was already posted several times.

Keep trying, user. Also email streamers and youtubers. They can get you lots of exposure.

Two posts after almost 20 minutes of your original post is wasting people's time faggot.

I-IT'S JUST AN ALPHA

You are doing a fuckng awful job.
Listen up here, you double nigger. You came here to sell us your job. Good, it's always interesting to see people's work, and despite being internet most trolly website, I, and a lot of anons too, are often reasonable guys rather than shitposting faggots.
So I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Alright, merchant, sell me your goods, and let me be pleasantly impressed with it.
Instead of selling me the fruits of your labor, you come here, acting might and cocky, like we are somehow lucky you decided to grace us with your game, and you even pretend we shill for your game, despite showing us nothing about it but the basic idea. Do you realize how much of an asshat you are being here?
Be a man and admit defeat, try again with another approach and I might give you a chance, but you look like a complete nigger, so most likely yoi will keep doubling-down without showing us anything that will make anyone consider bothering to actually search your game.

TL;DR you are a fucking imbecile, get the fuck out.

I think calling it an MMO is unhelpful. People immediately think of long term grinding and 3rd person perspective, WoW style games. Just call it a multiplayer strategy game.

anyways I'll give you my opinion fag

graphics: total shite, at least give the ground some mottling, variation, walking paths, stones and all the other shit you'd likely find on the ground in a medival village
the unit graphics aren't too bad but the ground, trees and grass are horrendous

sound: boring. make it more visceral, make wind blow and wood creak near structures, and make soldiers scream in pain when they get hit rather than just a gay impact sound
probably choose more upbeat background music for battles as well, that depressing ancient drone just kills the mood

UI: disgusting, ditch the gay white scroll theme and go for either dark or light and transparent panels
a lot of UI elements such as tickboxes are also too damn big

gameplay: looks to be the only thing you have going for you, it's impossible to tell if its really much fun just from the video but it does at least look like depth and thought went into it

marketing: this thread proves you have a lot to learn in that area
your selling a product so tell us what the damn product is, what it does, why you enjoy playing it and why you think i should play it too (beyond the obvious reason of muh shekels)
also lose the stupid buzzwords
its not an "online, massive multiplayer strategy game that combines real-time strategy with turn-based combat", its a multiplayer war party simulator where you start with a bunch of loincloth wearing street shitters and turn them into a conquering army

There's been other devs who posted their game, sometimes with a link to a demo, and asking for advice and there was next to no shitposting in those threads if I recall right.
I honestly don't see any obvious inspirations. That was just a general piece of advice.
Not a very good excuse, I'm afraid. The concept art is very generic, lacks depth and has bad anatomy. 99% of the reason why games get coverage is because they look good or different. If you want that, hire a better artist or tell your current one (if it's you, this applies to you directly) to practice for another 2 or 3 years before trying to go professional. They're simply not at a stage where they can ask money for their art or expect people to become interested by it. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's just how it is.

You will get more coverage if the game comes along further and is more polished. Sites won't cover something like this because it's too big of a risk. There's a lot of projects in this state that never actually get finished.

You should get a very basic prototype up and polish it as much as possible, and then start telling people you could make the game better if you had more exposure and more resources.

To be honest, I could help you, but your game needs to improve a bit. You have a decent start, but a lot of other indie devs get that far, and they never make it further than that.

Good luck user dev. I would say you just need to polish the fuck out of what you have and stop trying to add new features. Maybe then you can get people paying you more attention.

You want to take the merchant analogy, right?

What I'm selling you is an inferior product compared to what the other merchants are selling. But I can guarantee to you it will outlast what other merchants are selling by a lot. This means that yes, my product is not top-tier quality, but will give you a lot of bang for your buck. You'll want to use it and at the very least get some marginal knowledge of history in a time period where you don't know crap all about because there are maybe two or three games out of this period.

I don't want you to shill my game, and this is your main fault here. I want your genuine opinion on how you can help me boost marketability on fringe/outside media, since the "mainstream" won't. If you shit on me, I'll shit on you. If you get assmad about it, fine, I don't care. Those who didn't got my attention and my humility. I don't think it's a concept you're quite familiar with, hence your asspain being so overt. But it's alright. You'll keep on blaming me for not being overt with shilling while telling me I need to shill more then blame me next for being a shill.

I could go with that. But it'd still have the MMO tag, right?

I can work wth the ground and UI. Well, the sound as I said was recorded as realistic. A spear striking someone is actually the sound of a spear striking flesh. Swords, knives, so forth. I'm not using coconut effects.

All artists were acclaimed by past projects. I get that you don't like it, though. Artwork is not something everyone gets along 100% of the time. But yea, some of the graphics will get redone for some units.

Polishing is all I've been doing in the last year. There's enough of a groundwork for programming, but there's a ton to do in exactly that department, like others said with the ground, the UI and even some of the sound. But I appreciate the feedback, maybe it's what it is needed, after all.

I found the game under 10 seconds but I guess it shows your job is not in marketing. You are insulting your "audience" when you hold the shitposters responsible for their hamster-tier attention span.
Either way you have to dedicate time and resources to this as in

OP, you will find that half of the replies here are hatred just because you actually finished a game and you want people to know about it. The rest of the comments is nitpicking just because you made it in a genre that's cool to hate. There's no constructive criticism or game dev advice to be had here. And before somebody shits on me, no, there's not game advice to be had almost anywhere else either, especially reddit.

My advice to you is that you ignore all this jealously and autism and just show your game without asking for opinions.

Hello Yandev.

Okay, great argument. Pat yourself on the back you stupid fuck.

I feel like that's very generous or the standards were pretty low.
Untrue. The most successful games tend to have beautiful art or stand out by looking different and it's something most people can agree on. Competent design is universal. I can guarantee you that with your current art you will not break the bank and become the next indie success story as it's a step above programmer art.
If you don't intend that and simply are in it to practice, that's fine. But judging by the fact you threw your game on greenlight, you're probably expecting more or have something riding on this project. So don't be surprised and blame your audience when you do fail.

That's great advice to give someone to make sure they never improve and grow a bloated ego. Every bit of critique has worth, even if it's not very constructive. Trying to figure out why your work is bad is the first step to improvement. That goes for every discipline in life.

You really fucking suck donkey balls at this.
Show me the game, give me screencaps, videos, and make the job of helping you for fucking free out of mere sympathy as simple as you can, or don't even fucking bother. Make me worry for it, instead of insulting everyone here by pretending that, since you made a game, you deserve any kind of help. See what I mean right? You outright came antagonizing and shitting on people when they asked for footage of your game, when you should have all the footage needed already posted.

And even then you got some helping posts, you should be happy, because sure as fuck you didn't earn them.

Game's far from finished, but players can interact with each other in a custom battle scenario with a few of the units. Everything needs to be improved, but it's already something that can be shown as a starting point. As others said, there is plenty to be done, and it's fine, I'll get it done slowly and surely. Even if 95% of the posts are simply autism and REE'ing, 5% are useful stuff I could use, and that's something.

You should almost never take criticism, you can disagree with me if you want but this is what I think. As a musician would not take criticism from people who listen to music, I suggest that game developers take no criticism when making games.

This doesn't mean that if someone points out an obvious thing, and you feel that thing is indeed wrong, you should ignore it. I asked for criticism before and from a very big list of 200 responses I noted like three things that I should improve with my game. Some would have been probably detected later in development anyway. OP can do whatever he wants. He can either listen to 200 angry people memetexting and shitting on him because he doesn't suck your cocks, or he can try to present his game and if you guys like it, fine, if not then he has to figure it on his own if he really wants to modify his game.

Would you really listen to people who never made great games, how to make great games? I have a bunch of criticism I'd have to give to OP, but I'd rather hold myself and say nothing. You guys either actually give his game a chance and play it, and really, honestly, try to help him, or you can shit on him.

Look at all the actual shit indie games that were made by hipsters, that's where your hate should be driven. Not at some guy who is trying to talk with you guys and ask for some advice, this is just autism. I know all I'm going to get for these type of responses is memes as responses, but whatever, unless you made a successful game and you can prove it to me then I have no reason to listen to almost all the 'criticism' given here. And no, yanderedev wasn't right for throwing an autism fit. I hated him from the start because he had no artistic vision or passion. He just came up with a shitty meme idea and everyone sucked his dick. Then instead of making his dream game he basically listened to random guys on the internet tell him what to do, lol.

If 33 UID's are present here, and about 5 of them were cordial and actually engaged into arguments, that's good enough in my book. Their feedback sure work into improving the game, and I'll improve it because it's what I want; a good game that people play and enjoy.

I'd like to hear it. There'll be a free demo available soon so anons can play with each other and find out how the experience changed their perception, or not.

Actually, I hate hipster games. And if there's something I actually hate are 100k kickstarter campaigns for 2d platformers which you can pitch in $200 for your name on it. But also, it's not something everyone will get it on the spot, and me being here is trying to ask people "look, I want to do this, what do you think that should be improved, and why?"

I'm not saying you should listen to ALL criticism, that's complete retardation. But those 3 things that you got from 200 responses could've been very important things. Artists and designers generally don't see a lot of their own mistakes and they absolutely need someone to point out flaws, because on your own it's an incredibly hard and slow process.
Even if someone who has no idea simply says "this sucks", it should tell you that you might be doing SOMETHING wrong and it should get your gears going to find out what it is so you can improve it. And if a lot of people say it then there's definitely something wrong.

Those indie shitters you mentioned do not listen to critique, they never even ask for it because of their bloated egos. They sit on twitter, reddit and Tigsource in their cirlcejerks and blend out anything negative. That's why they suck. And you're telling OP to do the same.

Why is this on greenlight. I wouldn't even consider starting to sell the game at this point. I'd have a an alpha with all the core features implemented before I'd do anything like greenlight. Also, if you're expecting humility from anons in any situation, lurk moar.

I'd like to speak to your manager/handler/wrangler, please.
You're being a detriment to the game you are making. Please tell him to put someone else on the job of selling this game to people and to put you in the corner where you can be a codemonkey or some shit.

I'm actually impressed that there's an actual game and that this isn't a shitpost thread. Color me surprised.

Well man, I hope the best for you. You want to make a game and improve it, and you admit that it's not doing great in terms of popularity, and you want people to help you. I'll just say this, show what makes you game great and different from other games and why people should play it, that's it. Don't let yourself down by 99% of people raging at you, they could've simply told you to post some pics or just ignore you. And don't introduce changes in the game just to pander to people, make the game you wanna make.

Post the demo here. I'd say that it's necessary to make it as easy as possible for people to try your game. Most people are not gonna search for your game, so you really have to make it as easy as possible for them to get it and see why your game's interesting. Just learn this at least, this was a mistake that triggered some people, but you can fix it next time you post your game.

Maybe, that's not guaranteed, but you're gonna waste a ton of time looking for that criticism. And I'm just saying that you need some people who are willing to be honest with you and not manchildren who throw tantrums. Rarely you find people on the internet who actually care about you and what you make, and want to help you and the game improve. It's hard with your friends to find that connection, let alone on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that 'friendlier' platforms would be good. I'm just saying that if you actually have a group of people that genuinely cares about your game becoming better, then you're a lucky guy.

I disagree. The indie shitters made exactly what they wanted to make, a pretentious piece of crap. They also do listen to criticism, but from people in their circle. And most of the times they pander to the most stupid shit. Let's be honest, if you were to go on tigsource, reddit, and other stupid shit sites, you also would ignore most of what they say about your game, I also would too.

I'm telling OP, because I know how you feel when you want to show something and you want people to like that, that you should not let people influence your artistic vision. I'm saying that in this thread most of the criticism is actually just pure retardation instead of people being honest. Anons could've been more helpful and directly tell him to post more game media, but they called him a shill, told him to kill himself, called all mmos shit, a jew, retarded, told him to go to 4chan, etc. Maybe he is new to imageboards, or at least newer than us, and he immediately thought that it's a bad idea to associate his game with such retards. Just try to be a step above cuckchan, is all I'm asking. He just wants to show his game to you guys and he's obviously not a master in communication, no need to shit on all that he has done. He didn't went to tumblr, he went to you guys.

I think that you should consider criticism but after you really put some thought into the change that you want to make. Most people will never bother being honest, they'll drag you down.

Also, most people here never made a game or finished some classic games, so again, no need to listen to their criticism. That's all I had to say, my post was too long.

Anons could've been more helpful and directly tell him to post more game media, but they called him a shill, told him to kill himself, called all mmos shit, a jew, retarded, told him to go to 4chan, etc.
I'm not new to imageboards, but the biggest surprise was when you actually call out those people and then get called "incompetent".

Like here, saying that he wants to call my "wrangler", when he can't even read in this thread: The GL link, the part where I said I was the dev and can't even have some common sense to figure out that I've only shat on the shitters.

But you do have a point. Not every piece of critic is going to be taken to the point; if it makes sense, though, it makes sense, and I'll act accordingly.

Meant to greentext.

It's shit.

You are a retard. I hate you, go away.

I just looked through all of your posts in this thread. NEVER did you post the link or acknowledge that the ones posted were correct.

You say that you 'shit on the shitters' but all you are doing is alienating potential customers.

Keep in mind that all of the games that came from imageboards at least show a demo or way to try the game before purchasing it. And thats only after you give the name of the fucking product.

0/10, Terrible marketing tactic. You have no 'hook' to get us interested and frankly I would not buy from you at this moment seeing as how you are only shitposting and not making a single meaningful post.

Nigger please, you come here to talk about your game, you immediately set off on the wrong foot and then act like other people are at fault for calling you out on it. No shit people are going to make fun of you. The fact that you continue to stay in that mindset is why I called you a detriment to your own game. Get someone else to do the PR because you're terrible at it.

My definition of PR does not include bowing down to your antics.

You are wrong. He was asking for marketing advice because his retro game is not getting covered by any sites, you faggot. He did not want to present the game at first, he just wanted marketing advice. General marketing advice could be given without people seeing the name of his game, as OP was obviously not very inclined to shill the actual game.

Looks like mobile trash.

'general advice' will do what exactly? OP could easily, in his words, put in a tiny bit of effort and find a free PR book that could explain things better than any autist on this website.

Personal definitions have nothing to do with this. You have failed at this idiotic attempt at creating buzz for your game and now you are attacking the very people that are trying to tell you what went wrong.

At first I was angry but now Im going to shit on this game whenever it comes up. Thanks for giving me more shit games to add to my list.

What, you mean actually making a competent OP and making clear what game you're even talking about instead of making the people here go on a hunt for the shitty game you made, without you ever acknowledging if they found the right one? You mean actually starting out with some humility instead of how you earlier said
That's not how you sell people on your game, or anything for that matter. It should be the reverse.

Again why I tell you to get someone else to do the PR for your game. This is actual advise and you should be thankful I am still bothering to try and make this clear to you.

Here's your (((you))) you fucking retard, now go and fuck off to reddit where you can circlejerk about your nonexistent game all you like.

General advice from people here that made games and released them. If you made an indie game then surely you could give some small tips to other fellow game developers even if you do not know much about their game. He could've picked a book on marketing though, I can't deny that. But I don't see such a big harm in him trying out his chance here.

OP is playing you like a fiddle.

Into the trash it goes.

Why doesnt he go and post on /agdg/ then? No excuse for the hostility.

If thats true then hats off to him. The game is still shit and looks like a bad mobile rip-off game.

Also he even has genres wrong. Its a TRPG not RPG.

If that's the case then it sure is working, but he's still the bigger faggot for even bothering trying to ruin some shitty game that would have died a quiet death on its own.

Good on ya, OP for wasting people's time. That's all this thread is good for now anyway.

So please tell me how "create buzz" equates to asking for marketing advice.

I had humility when it was offered. You didn't. I sell people my game by explaining them what it is all about, and telling they can try out what we have done so far, and that's exactly what I said.

If you make a living by sucking dicks off people and begging for a shred of their attention, that's fine, but it's not something I'll do. The game is shit when you compare it to a fully fleshed out game, obviously. I'm not asking for a comparison on fully developed titles, I'm asking for advice and feedback with you having in mind it's under development.

Well, you obviously caught me, user. Now I'll retreat to my safe space with my fellow hipsters.

I got useful feedback, a list of people which can help share the game and a bunch of retards REEE'ing because they think everything that's not a triple-A game being sold is crap and all indie developers are crap, hence they shit on everything expecting them to crawl back but get asspain when the shitting is reversed.

Got more than I could ask for.

BECAUSE its such a shit game compared to full ones is the reason you should not be hostile.

Ive seen too many people try to make shit and think they are 'above' certain things. ALL of their projects failed.

You also say that you offered humility? All I see is you shitposting and being hostile. And if you weren't trying to create buzz then why give instructions on how to find your game in the first place? If all you wanted was general advice then why give info at all?

-10/10, would have been better off not making the thread or not posting identifiable info.

From personal experience, most of the critique I've gotten from this place was ultimately positive and very honest. So unless you were acting like a complete fuckhead or have thin skin, I don't agree with you at all. Cuckchan would be constant (1) posts, one sentence and no actual discussion. There's no exchange there to be had.

OP came here to get honest advice and he got it. Being told that he's acting pretty dumb by not showing his game is part of that. Other devs have managed it fine and admitted their mistakes and anons moved onto giving other advice.

See, a post like this?
It might seem rude and not tell you much at first glance, but I see this particular mindset often. There's certainly anons who are dissatisfied with indie games and their low production value and tropes they fall into. It's up to the devs to make sure they don't fall into the same mistakes indie shitters fall into. Sure, even if you make something truly good there's going to be people who will post this anyway, but there's still something to be learned from it, because that mindset exists for a reason. You don't want your product to be subpar, you want it to be good.

If you can only see the face which you want to see, is the problem with me or with yourself?

I'm just trying to do something very worthwhile for your bucks, with limited budget, time and labor. People had varied responses, and I gave them varied responses as well, all based off on what they gave me. You and others who are having genuine conversation about the topic are having the respect you deserve, and I applaud everyone who actually engaged that way, thank you gentlemen.

You'll see it improve and definately get some love in the near future.

Downvoting games on greenlight serves no purpose

You want USEFUL feedback? Here's some with me trying not to be angry.

1) game looks like a low-res ripoff of fire-emblem.

2) sound quality is bad and sounds like it was recorded with a laptop mic.

3) Greenlight page is dull and doesn't attract the eyes to anything. Walls of text don't get the point across. Try following the footsteps of DEVILDAGGERS and show the features in different ways

Just get a publisher nigga. How hard is it? Or just add waifus to your game and wait until faggotry promotes your game. Also you posted about your game here earlier didn't you?

if you think this behaviour is anything other than completely retarded you are delusional OP
If you actually want people to play your game this is not how you should act, even if it was never your intention to shill the game here.

-t hypocrite

YOU are saying that we should be 'grateful' for you gracing us with your presence. Also what have you done that deserves respect? You need to offer that first if you are trying to SELL US SOMETHING.

Again, all I see is hate on people voicing opinions. Maybe ask WHY they are angry instead of just shitposting?

He is using reverse psychology and being retarded is part of his plan.

Looks cool, I'll take a look.

Once or twice. Linked directly. Got shat on. Didn't now, got shat on. There's no winning with some people.

Well, if you can't actually read and "Ctrl+F" to look for something, than you're just not who I want to sell my game to. If you take offense on the statement, it's on you, not me.

I showed you a product under development when asked. I asked about marketing tips.

I'm not even going to bother with trying to get you to understand how you're a negative influence on your own game by continuing to post they way you're doing. I hope you at least have the courtesy to show this thread to the people you work with.

Yeah you're sure giving them an example of how indie developers aren't giant faggots high on their own ego. If that's what you need to tell yourself then go ahead. It's not fooling anyone else though.

Yet you didn't show us what you're making and berated people for asking to show us. I had to go out of my way to look for a game I didn't personally care for to give a fellow developer advice that I feel he's not taking seriously, because you seem to keep making excuses.

See, the reason you got negative responses is because you acted defensive and didn't admit to your mistakes. If you ignore truly hostile responses or respond by being humble and give people what they ask for you'll look like less of an idiot and get more positive responses. Keep that in mind.

people were asking because you were hinting at what game it was in the OP. if you only wanted general tips then you should have just asked for that. Also this is the wrong board if all you want is tips. /agdg/ is the proper board.

Holy shit WHY IS EVERYBOIDY ON THIS BOARD SO AUTISTIC

because vidya is the only thing that keeps some of us alive. If I didnt have this passion then I would probably have killed myself years ago.

I'll try /agdg/ next tomorrow. Gonna take my advice from some anons and do some polishing.

Friendly-dev here, I've gotten some people through Greenlight a couple times.

A problem you and many many other Indie devs forget is that you need to build a community around your game before putting it onto steam Greenlight. Marketing is key, you need to shill your game to any Facebook group Yes, and facebook is really important for marketing, making up about 60-80% of votes. using facebook ads, shilling it to the appropriate Reddit and get people in your local game-dev community to help you.

Greenlight works like Kickstarter, it only gives you attention the first couple days, after this you vanish of the radar unless you reach a high number, like 1k+ votes. You also should have gotten in touch with niche reporters ahead of Greenlight launch and keep them in the loop so they could have run their article on the launch date.

Right now Greenlight is flooded but you can still get through if you get enough positive feedback, a friend of mine just got through with about 400 votes so reach for atleast that, as a final resort you can make "vote" deals with other devs that you'll upvote them if they upvote you. This is also used on kickstarter.

Looked through your stuff, seems you have done a lot, but you really need to get some more people involved if you want to make something really good, especially as Art reliant as your game is or change your art style completely, Empires apart does a very simple but extremely unique style that makes it very liked.

Also if you fail, you can still pay the price when Steam figures out how to go about all that. If you don't think it's worth the money getting it up on steam there are cheaper and more indie friendly alternatives but there are tons of stuff that can pay your entry fee if you send in an application.

Polish your attitude instead. It'll be more worthwhile than any amount of game polish.

A shitty OP breeds shitty discussion. I'm honestly going to stop bothering giving people advice because they never seem to want to accept it when they ask for it.

Give me a few months and I'll make a thread for playtesting my game. I'll prove this faggot wrong.

This is a fucking terrible way to look at this
Again do you actually want people to play your game if so then you want to shill it to as many people as possible
Your excluding a huge chunk of people based on a very stupid criteria
Image this, some guy tells you he made a game he wants you to play/buy and gives you very limited information about.
Are you really gonna go looking for
Because from my perspective your just some random guy that claims he made something worth playing. My first thought when I saw this is that you where just fucking around and there was actually no game to be played
also
your being a huge asshole again for no reason assuming that I can't read, when really this on you your pitch did not convince it was worth my time or effort to try to find your game and if you are ok with that than i can only conclude you don't actually want people to play your game

Not exactly setting the bar high there, are ya?

What are you making, user?

/agdg/ is pretty much dead btw so no point in really posting there.

You first called me a liar on .

Than you said it looks 'uninspired and amateurish' on . It doesn't have trendie characteristics. It's an indie game. But it was feedback anyway, and I'm taking it.

Then you said the concept art was "generic with bad anatomy" on . And then I told you one of the artists was not in the project anymore, which didn't seem to be enough for you.

Finally, you said on I'll blame my audience and the art is not competent. Well, I can't say anything more than what I already said; one of the artists is not involved, and some of it is getting redone. There are multiple elements being polished.

Where, exactly, have I not accepted it? I've engaged respectfully everytime. And please, do post your game, because I love watching what worked in the past and see what people did right and where they did wrong, so I can follow.

I didn't came here to shill. I came for general advice on marketing.

Yet people asked for the link, and it was posted. I want people to play the game, but it's not a generic title, and as I said before, it does not have marketable characteristics (heavy on history, no magic/special effects, very focused on a more realistic take on turn-based combat). It's a given that some people will feel as it is bland, and has bad sound effects, for instance, since all sound effects were recorded on studio and had minimal to no alterations to be coconut effects.

I hope that you will have the guts to give us the title of your game unlike faglord OP.

self shilling uh
well at least you are being honest about it, so not even mad… but
really man?

The Holla Forums thread is still plenty active, though.

I think he meant the O(riginal) P(ost)

Which was quite shitty

Yeah. It will be awesome. Set up your group, fight other players for territory, find your friends and kill some other tribes, enslave and pillage for gold and more soldiers, group up and siege cities, get your guild up to personally advise on the tribe's king.

It's going to be great. There are very few turn-based tactical games with MMO settings, and this one is going to be a clusterfuck with huge cool things in it.

Sounds like generic-greenlight-game #34291

Most of those things require player action and involvement to a scale that most current MMOs dont even have.

ok heres some marketing advice
You should view everyone as potential audience and yes that does include people who can't be arsed to find your game
heres some more:
Don't act like an ass, don't insult people, don't act like your game is to good for people. Don't act like you're better than other people. Never blame a potential customer for anything even if it's totally their fault.
You are gonna be dealing with a lot of retards if you really wanna get your game out there and it's important you always stay nice and keep your cool.
Which is pretty much the opposite of what you did this thread. You wanna know how to market a game? Well definitely not like this.

If you want people to dig for your project and actually look this shit up with genuine interest without giving away vital information yourself then I hope you made a fucking viral ad campaign or alternate reality game. You coming in here acting as if people will care about your game is pretty dumb, especially if you gave no info about said game. 100+ posts before we actually start talking about this shit, kek

Make a game that isn't absolute trash. You know, one worth covering.

I want to cum inside that brat until she starts crying and then I want to watch her tears ruin her makeup while she blows me

Gotta start small.

Don't want to say since I don't have anything worth showing yet and don't want to string people along in case I do fail again.
I've been lurking in the dev threads and been meaning to make the project for a while now though.

I first called you a liar because indie devs can't make MMOs. Someone who says they're working on an MMO generally has no sense of scope so it's become a bit of a joke. Plus, you didn't link anything, so at first I assumed there was no game.
I don't recall you saying the artists aren't part of the project anymore, but whatever.
You said a few things would get polished and that's about it, which is not enough like I've said earlier. It felt like a very half-hearted response. I honestly don't care anymore because it'll end up being your problem in the end. Maybe you have to fall on your face first to see what I mean.

Is that fucking Krautandtea?

Watch me.

I did take your response as genuine feedback, as a tried-and-failed-and-trying-again dev.

Yes.

pretty arrogant for someone with your 'tried-and-failed-and-trying-again' status.

What will you be doing specifically?

Cant wait to play your game, faggot.

It is not my status, it was directed at in his spoilers.

I'm going to start up slow, then steadily build up for something grand. It's right now simply 1v1 multiplayer with a shitty AI for PvE. Later on we'll add a sort of point system for conquering territories which will track the players' battles, then later on move into real map dislocations and the sorts.

Good luck, then. Any game that requires a big playerbase will fail because indie developers cannot get enough sales to sustain it. Plenty before you have failed but I'm sure you'll be the one to figure it out!

T-thanks.

I made a really similar OP that was basically "How do you shill your game when all the journalists are bought out feminists and the entire indie industry is run by SJW cliques". The answer I got was "Word of mouth" and "Shilling on boards"

Also this line right here
This opened the floodgates for all the shitposters on here to shitpost about how they don't like that genre of game. You should have just omitted it entirely even if people would inevitably gone "What genre retard?"

Also if you where planning on shilling here you should know that pretty much everyone in /agdg/ gave up on this board. The last release thread was flooded with the rust-ripoff-dev autistically screeching about how you shouldn't have release threads even though release threads have been a thing for ages. This place is basically too schizophrenic to support anything, unless you somehow get the attention of the weeaboos who will throw their money behind anything kawaii enough. Any thread will get bombarded with people going "indie-shit" or rust-foot-fetish-fag-no-dev autistically shitting up the thread for no reason.

The cancer has overcome this place.

Wew lad that's some real bullshit right there. Keep making excuses for him though, I'm sure it'll help his game.

Hey, I remember that thread.
Also, fuck rust-ripoff-dev, that guy is an actual schizophrenic with a huge ego. It's always goons or cuckchanners or what have you who try to fuck up threads for ebin lulz or make themselves feel better, very similar to what's happened to the agdg threads on halfchan over the years. But there's been times where discussion works fine for some reason. I think ignoring them and focusing on positive discussion is the best solution.
We'll probably never go back to first exodus-tier of post quality but we can try.

I'm not so sure about Holla Forums but I've noticed post quality on Holla Forums has definitely improved after the hack.

I only really browse Holla Forums and I can't really say if it's gotten better. Though around 2016 I think there's been times where it was extremely bad, so it probably has.

Either way, the shitposting in this thread specifically could've been entirely avoided. I don't blame the state of the board for it.

I'm talking about the state of this board more tbh.

You can tell he was a sheltered faggot by the way he'd shit on someones completed game while all he had was a model. I remember even months later he'd still be working on the same fucking model.

The only thing I really remember from 2016 was the weekly Deus ex and Stalker sucks threads and constant Dishonored shilling.

It's quite sad because he seems like he knows what he's doing, but he's being such a faggot about it you just know he won't achieve anything with it.
I remember those threads too. They've died down, seemed like someone's attempt at trying to split the board by being contrarian faggots. The shilling still happens like with ME:Andromeda, but that's to be expected these days.

I don't know, man. I think some people see this place too negatively. I can still hold a decent conversation often enough, so I keep coming back.

A dev shilled his Hearthstone ripoff, Forgotten Lore, here a while back. Reaction was decent, IIRC. You just seem like kind of a cunt though, OP.

Although he also gave out free keys so that probably smoothed things over a bit.

Give free copies to relevant streamers/let's players, no fucking joke. They're cancer but they're an effective way of getting people to pay attention without going through games journalists.
It was dead on arrival, MMO's need population to survive.

I got a way to handle population fluctuations.

Duly noted. Will try it.

I called a few bullshitters on their bullshit. Hey if that makes me a cunt, whatever.

Yes, Ill release a free demo for downloading soon.

Nigger, we're fine with small time devs shilling their games here if they're open about it, but I sure as fuck don't understand the point of this thread.

Hey man, I work on a game started on Holla Forums with some other dudes.

One thing we fully expect in every thread, every single thread, is shitposting. It's unavoidable.. We still read them of course, and occasionally, some of them have fair points. I don' know if you're a long time poster here or this is your first foray, but if you've going to 'shill' (I know it's not, not the point) on here, you gotta be able to sort half-hearted shitposting from actual quality feedback.

Now, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I assume it went something like this:

"Hey, Holla Forums, here is game I made/helped make!"

"SHILL" "GO BACK TO [other website]" "FUCKBITCHCUNTMOTHERFUCKING SHIT GAME"

These are not to be taken as consensus of the board, and more than likely someone really bored. Most of the people that post here, (myself included) are very jaded individual, usually cut off from human contact besides here, and maybe their steam friends (myself included). Give them the benefit of the doubt, that's all I ask.

It might take a bit to find, but this place can offer some of the most helpful feedback you can imagine. There's no identities attached to posters here, for the most part, so there's not pressure to hold anything back. Which is obviously a double edged sword.

Take everything you read here with a grain of salt, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

And for the rest of you, new thread soon. With love, Fred

Please don't invite faggots into the one decent general thread

i'm really hoping you don't come to /agdg/ with this massive fucking ego.
there have already been plenty of egotistical shithead devs on this board. we don't need another.

I want to witness the next yandev actually

yeah and fuck you too buddy.

Look, buddy, I don't want to scroll through the thread and work to see what the game is, I just want you to post the link, have me see it, and get it over with and rate it as good or trash.
That's all I ask. I don't give a fuck about you. You come here and act entitled and say OH JUST PUT IN THE WORK TO SEE MY RETRO 8BIT PIXELSHIT GOY! and everyone will see you as a retard.

Fug I missed that, what happened? Anyone got archive or pics?

Redsky release thread:
archive.is/QmooX

First it was 50bd08 shitting up the thread, then he disappeared and 3165d9 (rust fag) took over with the same feverish autism. It pisses me off because people thought it was /agdg/ drama. /agdg/ never really has drama unless someone posts awful code that will fuck them over later. It's really just 1 autistic faggot who has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but make 1 model going around acting like he has authority.

Downboated, fam :^)

Naaa man,OP went with

Literally over and over again. Didn't post mp4 of gameplays, didn't post screenshot of sprites, didn't even describe the game other than "generic moreorless" fuck him and fuck this shit game

Your game is shit. I don't even know what it is but it doesn't matter: it's shit because you don't actually want to succeed. If you did, you would have either come prepared or come open to criticism. You came with neither. At least you were prepared for the shitposts, because there wasn't much else that could come of this. And the actually helpful posts you did get you do not deserve.

Consider having someone else do PR because you are awful.

You are easily worse than the shitposters. At least they're being honest, meanwhile you sit there, forever an ideas guy, unable to create the stuff of your dreams out of fear that you will be judged by anonymous retards. I'd feel pity for you if I did not think the world would be better off without you.

Wow I hadn't even read your other posts before I wrote the above. I fucking nailed it. You are exactly the kind of "creative" faggot with too much ego and not enough rationality. Definitely kill yourself, you have no redeeming qualities.

on a serious note, did you actually told them the games name?

OP IS A FAG AND HIS THREAD IS SHIT

The HD remake of that game was surprisingly good

As a guy who has tossed his YT channel here, you are going to be told you are a shill.
Everyone is.
Even people who aren't.
I've been called a shill for posting other people's videos, sometimes, and not my own.

That's the fucking point, just get it over with to avoid the porn spam like FO 4 and Evolve, and get some discussions going on the genre and expectations, don't be the worst of both worlds like you've decided to be.

Hell, toss your game into discussions of the genre it fits in and be cover if you have to, people don't mind if you contribute to discussion meaningfully.

Instead you were blunt but expecting people to appreciate the half measure you gave, which is never the case.

Either way, good luck with your game bro.

Dear guy, hope you drown in pigshit. t everyone

You don't belong here, fam, sorry.

Okay be real. Are you just here to try and get some "harassment" so you can cash in some victimbux?

Jesus Christ, OP, if you want to stroke your ego and get some feedback then just go and fucking say so, not try this piss-poor parody of an attempt at subterfuge. Is it so hard to make a thread:

op is a faggot and can't even shill his own shit without being a fucking idiot.

CTRL + F
there's your mistake OP
share your gaem with similar interest people like on related forums n shit

I felt the pain and cancer building, but I decided to power through.

At this point I had to stop and take a little break.

At this point I had to stop reading.

Take your gamemaker bull shit back to reddit and then delete the source code you cancerous faggot retard.

Dear user,

There is a link to the game in the thread. If you have any constructive criticism to it, please add to it, I'd be glad to know about it, like other anons did. Thanks.

That's ok user, even if your game gets greenlit, I'll wait until it's part of the next 25 shit games for $1 bundle at Humble Bundle or IndieGaia :^)

Man peteyboo is on that list

But no isocitration or raocow

Stopped reading there
>>>/out/

KILL YOURSELF
but xDdddd le i forgot my sage rite guise?

dude i bet your face was redder than mr krabs grabbing a penny

no sageroni macaroni

I sure missed halfchan

wow its like 9gag shit all over my dick

Why is Holla Forums suddenly so fascinated with suicide, It's like that term has spiked in popularity over the last month? Was there another exodus or something?

Hownew.ru

New enough to have been here a few months after this sites' creation. I notice patterns coming on from external sources and certain words used more often. God forbid I ask about the surge of frequency for certain words are.

sage for off-topic

Don't even fucking bother, there's been a flood of really young or retarded people.

Nah faggot, people have been suggesting suicide forever.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's noticed this board is stagnating like crazy. Summerfags most likely. Well, now I have to wait until July for the brats to right fuck off back to the shitholes they crawled out of. Thanks, user. I'm out.

Yes, although, not as often as you'd like to think.

Holla Forums is still small to bring in summerfags, the PPH didn't even budge during summer.

The board has just been invaded by everything from reddit, antifa to fucking goons and the posting quality has gone off a cliff, you where around for the first few months when everything was great but now this place is basically some god awful mutant with parts from SA, Reddit and neogaf.

at least small boards are still good

I wish they where faster, I miss /bane/

Gee, how original.
If you made something interesting that hasn't been done a million times already people might take notice.

Everything's been done already user.
You expect original ideas from an industry that can't even make old genres right?

Your Post has 2x1, 3x2 and 3x4.
That's about the most interesting thing about this thread.