What are some video games that are good and don't have a story?

What are some video games that are good and don't have a story?

what do you mean by 'don't have a story'? Games that just drop you in with no context to whats going on, games with no cutscenes, what?

yup.

Tetris.

Doom, Metroid 1 and (i think) 2 are games that drop you in with no context

meant for

Pacman
Tetris
Pong

Most puzzle games. I would recommend Splice.

Doom and Metroid definitely have stories though.

The context is in the manual. Remember those things?

most arcade games and most survival games.

Who let >>>/neogaf/ in here?

Check em

haydee is actually pretty good, and has no real story behind it

inb4 400 shitposts

Devil Daggers

Russian marketers pls go.

it doesn't need to be greentexted

I don't think the OP implied any of that you nigger.

Basically X-Com. Or Jagged Alliance.

Story != context.

X-Com is a maybe since you have a premise and the plot does move forward as you find more about the ayys, but Jagged Alliance has a story, characters and cutscenes.

Fuck you, Liero.

qbert, breakout/dx-ball, soldat,

Heeeeh

Do you think it's fucking opposite day here or something?

Where exactly, aside from episode clear screens, does Doom have a story?

Call of Chernobyl

Tetris
Terraria
Euro Truck Simulator 2

RTFM

Minecraft

But it has a sub-mod that adds a story.

Dear Esther is a good one for that, as it drops you onto an island with no context

I was going to say X3 terran conflict, but it does have a story. The story is optional and you don't have to do it. I've played over a hundred hours of that game and never finished the story.

Tetris

Fallout 4?

i wonder who could be behind this

ding ding ding

Chess

This is some serious retardation, we are definetely being raided.

Tetris, hands down. This video is more or less required watching for being on Holla Forums in the first place.

Serious Sam is like that i think.
Context on what's going on is given you in a briefing on loading screens which you can very much ignore completely, just like i did.

minecraft is pretty fun.

I didn't play other Serious Sam games, but I love how Serious Sam 3 gradually throws the plot away, you start with cutscenes and iron sight, ends exploding aliens in the desert wondering if it had any plot to start with.

You played the worse game in the series.
Go check out the other ones

Concept of "not having a story" is a bit hard to define, since most games that don't have story telling, have player progression, that can be seen as the story of the game. And this raises a really interesting (at least for me) question: Is there a game that has absolutely no story? Not the story telling kind, nor the player progressing through the game kind? Can a game, given the interactive nature, even be void of a story of some kind? Now my brain hurts, thanks OP.

mount and blade, if you don't count the lore since it doesn't really matter much

yes, you autistic nigger
what the fuck do you think minesweeper is

Dark Souls

Minesweeper is a dark struggle of a man condemnded to sweep some mines in a unending war. Step up.

Can you even understand what player driven story is? Or do you need constant achievement popups to remind you? Just fuck off, retard.

something like mount and blade is, but minesweeper sure as fuck isn't

MINETEST

minecraft is shit since they updated it, gave it a story, and ruined it's simplistic magic and mystery tbh.

Minesweeper has deep fucking lore you dolt.

if you love sucking microsofts corporate cock

I see your point. This discussion went from 0 to internet way too fast. And I just figured out the game that is the only one that has no story, player driven or telling kind. It's not a computer game, it's:

The Game, you just lost it.

C'mon user, I didn't even open the video and I know it's the matthewmatosis one, everyone here already watched that.

Armored Core

this pinball game is an alright time killer. as long as having no glaring flaws preventing you from enjoying whats there as good.
as far as i know liero doesnt have a story, but it might.

the manuals give context, no?

*counts as good

Made a Webm of that.

i wish i still had hair

The Game is only so popular because of its long history and deep chan lore. The gameplay is nonexistent.

Completely bullshit video, included its premise. Anyone can be an astronaut or a pro gamer with enough work. It's simple: an average human can survive in space if provided with a life support system. An average human can win in pro gaming competitions with enough practice.
Also, Donkey Kong has a story: the princess is kidnapped and you gotta save her and presumable get sex in return. Alien Invaders has a self-explanatory story as well. Once the element of story is in, the element of BALANCE for story vs gameplay is there too. Literally everything the guy in the video says is wrong.

Casual spotted.

What about those text screens?

OTHER M IS FUCKING SHIT

The story is just that of SoC with very minor changes.

Monster Hunter.
Dude here are some weapons. Fuck off, go kill things.

Sure, but the average human isn't worth spending millions of dollars on to get them to space. The men in charge only pick the best to go up because they want the lowest possible chance of something fucking up.
No, many games in the "pro gaming" scene require high reaction times, which vary from person to person and gradually decrease in all humans after the late teens.