Has anyone tried this? I would've been satisfied with retroarch if their core ports are up to date...

has anyone tried this? I would've been satisfied with retroarch if their core ports are up to date, but they are only updated every few months, meaning when games crash I need to forget this "all in one" convenience thing and go back to downloading the most recent version of a specific emulator for a specific console again and adjust settings. This launchbox program is supposed to combine everything, but I'm afraid I'll download more bloatware or something and waste time adjusting settings and other tedious tasks that are routine for emulation. What are your opinions?

Other urls found in this thread:

leakforums.net/thread-767656?page=14
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Organizing games is autistic just use steam tbh

Google Crack launchbox. Someone uploaded hin xml file

Launchbox is literally just a fucking launcher for RA or other emulators.

It is unnecessary and you need to pay to get all the features
just use windows explorer like every sane human being out there.

surely there must be more to it, like launching with a game selected from the launchbox, or game-specific emulator settings (because the emulators themselves are too retarded to have this feature, and only have global settings that need to be re-adjusted each time you play a different game)? Is there really nothing to it?

Can't get much more retarded than that
Just like get a package manager.

Compiler your own cores. They are up to date, they just don't do official releases all the time.

ie. Install Gentoo.

every time.

layman -a roslin (only run once)
emerge bsnes (installs)

bsnes installed

emerge -auDN world -j(number of cores)

wow so hard to update my packages from source this is mind blowing please i need to write this down so i will never ever forget! Windows it's the only way simple enough to handle emulators don't learn linux it's a waste of time it has no games except for emulators but this is so much more difficult than poking around the internet looking for a download then running some installer.

If Retroarch is crashing on you, then the problem lies somewhere between the keyboard and the chair.

On the jizz crust covering my keyboard?

Actually he was complaining about the cores in retroarch being out of date, a problem which user's suggestion solves

If you've got a better way than either compiling it yourself or finding somebody who will do it for you, I'm all ears. You can even automate the compiling (even in Windows, though it's easier with a cron daemon handy) to be sure your cores are all updated daily.

The only thing launchbox does is leverage what is already present in RA (for RA in particular) with the exception of the library and playlist system so yes in short launchbox is a fucking launcher and does nothing else.
I dunno about game specific config or overrides for the other emulator but in RAs case it simply uses what RA already has.

How about you update Retroarch?

When I made that post I wasn't referring to retroarch; some standalone emulators like Dolphin only have partial overrides in which you can't adjust all the settings you normally would and some[emulators] don't have any at all. Retroarch has always had core and game overrides and that's one of the things I absolutely loved about it. Or maybe a thing I didn't hate about it, as I think this should be standard for emulation

leakforums.net/thread-767656?page=14

Have those faggots never heard of the Unix philosophy? Write programs that do one thing and do it well.

step it up user

It's good if you want to spend more time looking at menus than actually playing games.

I'm fucking retarded and want to buy a raspberry pi
What can you emulated well on it?
I'm fine with native res.

indeed

Nobody said he had to buy it new.

thanks user.

They weren't written for unix systems and they still have a straightforward purpose: launching other programs.

I was planning for a while to buy a Pi and use it as a linux box so that i could leave the PC exclusively for games and i could do my browsing and office tasks in linux, but after watching this post i could not be more convinced of avoiding it. Not like the Pi was good enough for a desktop anyway.

re: frontends: try attractmode, it's free software and easy to set up with anything that supports launch arguments

re: raspberry pi: there are chink boards for the same amount of money, sometimes with faster hardware and without any of the sjw fuckery

The only software that comes to mind that fail the UNIX philosophy test is almost every single modern internet browser. Even Iceweasel fails that test hard and that's Stallman approved™.

saging for off topic

bigbox lags like hell. What shit is this? Seems as if launchbox trys to load every image again and again. Good lord, at least i didn't pay for it.

x86 if you shill for ExaGear or Retroarch.

It is shit to be honest. I never bought it but I somehow managed to have both 3 and 2.
It is good as micro computer for certain projects and only because it doesn't have decent x86 alternative. At least it didn't have, there are Compute Sticks or other small PCs.
Unless you want to use its touchscreen port or pins just ignore it and buy regular PC or Arduino. Install regular Linux on it and enjoy not having ARM processor.

What operating system do you use? Is it GNU/Linux, with the gigantic kernel and userland designed by standards that reject simplicity for consistency to the point of giving /bin/true multiple options? Is it Windows, which combines its shell and its commands into a single program? Is it BSD, which introduced cat's -v flag?

The unix philosophy is dead. And I'm ok with that. It really isn't that great.

Works, Thanks user

I use Launchbox. It's pretty great tbh.