Now that the dust has settled...

Now that the dust has settled, who here knew as soon as this was announced that procedural generation can't deliver what they were promising?

>>>/out/

the awful color palette threw off warning signals in my brain personally. it just reeks of hipster trash who immediately think "not brown=gnodab"

Last time i tried it it still had that awful performance on my 650 ti with graphics on the lowest setting out of shitter. So no, its still unfixed shit.

I've been telling everyone procedural generation isn't a good replacement for actual, controlled, directed, and meaningful game content for a decade now.

The awful part about the game is that the space is not black, but pink, green, blue or yellow, and sun is a background, not a physical object.

That too, the whole art style threw up red flags for me. Not because I have a problem with it but because it's the Default Cheap Indie Game artstyle and that was just another hint that this was Cheap Indie Game Trying To Be AAA Done All Wrong On A Disc. I honestly don't understand how people thought Hello could go from Joe fucking Danger to leading the market.
I am honestly surprised so many people were duped. I watched the pitch live and I was like "lel" and everyone else in the stream seemed convinced and then comments popped up occasionally with shit like "hyped for No Man's Sky, rest of E3 was shit" on the Chans and I got tired of schooling them.

Now that OP has been banned for template threading…

Like, it has the potential to be interesting when it's randomized, which is what I thought this game was. When they started talking about multiplayer I realized they had a fucking permanent procedurally generated setting which is unheard of because it's fucking retarded.

It's not a template thread it just looks like one.

That wasn't the question.

Don't worry, i pirated. Everyone knows this shit is now No Man's Sky general.

I think it was merely another case of NOGAEMS and beating other companies to the punch in terms of genre. Pretty much exactly like how the first Saints Row only succeeded because it came out before GTA4.

Every so often TECHNOLOGY advances greatly within a single title, I was sure it was going to be shit until all the marketing hype and console port.

Procedural generators can have their uses, but you can't just built the whole game around one, especially when the building blocks are not handcrafted either.

Then again, the whole thing was a scam to rip off gullible suckers anyway.

if you remove procedural generation you're forced to make meaningful and different content so you can't rely on the crutch of a procedural generation system, but this ultimately makes your game far better.

I wouldn't even mind procedural generation if it was done in a way that wasn't so lazy and made actual sense. Imagine your normal fantasy setting with your normal, handmade dungeons and towns and all that but there's this one place that's randomly generated because it's actually the physical plane of insanity or a cosmic dumping ground of the universe's unwanted garbage.

Fucking THIS. I said this over and over again in every thread. These faggots barely had the talent to make two identical games, and then they were just going to jump into "limitless space sim where you can explore forever and do anything!" and everyone just accepted that like it was truth. Normalfags have a slight pass for that one because they just swallow the hype they are fed by every major gaming news site. But we had Sony throwing it's weight behind this, every major awards show and expo, IGN was fighting tooth and nail for the chance to to ask Sean Murray "what do you DO in No Man's Sky?"

I can only hope that the massive disappointment of this game was enough to convince a few normalfags to abandon and reject the mainstream media.

Well yeah and then the studio never tries any of it again and we never see it again for like 10+ years or ever. I can't think of many good examples but take like Daggerfall's massive (OK it was kind of cheating but you get my drift) world and stuff like Dragon Quest 7 being long as balls.

I knew and I'm glad the dumb shits that got suckered into believing it got a slap of reality. I just wish barren open world games got viewed the same. The only time I've seen those type of worlds work is with the game Fuel. Too bad the driving is average and the music is the most awful techno rock I've ever heard.

THIS WAS THE BIGGEST RED FLAG FOR ME. Let me explain.

The guy couldn't throw his game into a genre which told me he knew jack shit about it. He could've said "it's an exploration-based MMO structured around warring factions and an ecosystem; like Uru and EVE's lovechild" and had everyone hooked. But he didn't, because he didn't know what he was doing, he was making shit up, we weren't sure what the game was like because neither was he. The planets with the wildlife and the buildan were supposed to be nice scenery for the core of the game or maybe for objectives, but gradually they realized they couldn't fucking deliver so we got the gradual shift to emphasis on exploration and ANYTHING. It's like a slideshow or one of those Unity Web Player games or an obscure programming experiment from 2003 but with nice art and a budget. Oy.

Saming all that.

it's too bad that shit like NMS just reinforces people's low standards instead of raising them. if you put two garbage games side by side they'll point and laugh at the more garbage game while praising the other because they're conditioned to consume.

It's not a now that the dust has settled bait thread I just wanted to use that phrase.

ironic template threads are still template threads and template threads are against the rules y'know

But it's not a template thread because the type of discussion it's supposed to initiate is different.
Sage because this is getting really stupid.

Having been duped by starbound previously it was pretty obvious to me that it would amount to boring nothingness.
As for how the fuck the game got hyped to the degree it did, I'm going to have to give the benefit of the doubt and assume the devs only ever wanted it to be a standard indie project until some retard sony exec thought it was the most amazing thing and dumped 100x the development budget into advertisement. What is a dev supposed to do in that sort of situation?
Or maybe sean murray is just a scumbag con artist, I dunno.

it's entirely possible for both of those situations to be true.

It's definitely both. Sean Murray accidentally oversold himself to Sony and they bought it. But even what he was promising initially he was never going to be able to deliver, the combat and economy claims are as old as public knowledge of the game.

Everyone on Holla Forums, you dumbass.

If this is what actually happened, can you really blame him? Can you really say you wouldn't sell off your shitty no name studio and basic tech demo you were working on for some absurd amount of money and go into hiding? Not trying to defend sean being a piece of shit or anything, but you know full well you'd probably do the same.

Do you think that if they never lied and marketed the game as it currently is, it would have been more accepted?

More than the game being shit, the worst part is all the lies that where around

Leddit, stop pretending.

You know how most people have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other?
I have Jesus and Buddha.
Multicultural agnostic background.
So no I wouldn't let myself do that but I wouldn't blame anyone else for doing it. The unethical part is the deception, not the rip-off.
But I'd start by not trying to make a game I knew I didn't have the resources for.

Kek no. It's priced at three times what it's worth.

I don't even know what this game is about tbh, never gave a shit about it. No need to thank me for blogpost

Without the pressure of the marketing, it probably would have ended up as a shitty randomized space sim. I'm fully inclined to believe there wasn't any intention for it to be an actual video game at first, which is why the actual "video game" parts are so basic and insubstantial. And if that's true, it's hard to be disappointed if there are no expectations.

The assumption is it started as some innocent project, got a lot of money thrown at it and turned into something else, sean sold out and capitalized before running away with the money. I don't think he ever intended to rip people off at the start and have no reason to believe he did until sony came into the picture.

Cool story bro.

BUT SHEKEL BECKELS SHILLions DO NOT LIKE WHEN POINTING OUT BAD GAMES

STOP DESTROYING THE HYPE MEME

WE NEED THE PRE ORDER MONEYRO

Thanks to that your thread will have a hard time going anywhere. Hopefully you'll learn something from it.

It's shit, everyone on this board knew it would be shit, and only the most blithering idiots on Gamefaqs thought it would be some amazing leap forward.

THIS

NEVER REMEMBER ANONS ABOUT BAD GAMES OR THEY WILL NOT BUY NO MANS SKY 2

I REALLY FEEL OFFENDED BY MEMES AN DNEED TO SHITPOST IT EVERYTIME IN THREADS I DONT LIKE

THESE ARE MY SHILL FRIENDS; ALSO I HAVE FIRENDS ON NEOGAF

Nothing wrong with procedural generation.
It's numale cuck devs that are at fault.

I fucking hate japan.

maybe it's just me but I'd tell Sony to fuck off just because I hate red tape. not that Hello Games were ever really independent but still.

Literally half/v/

Apply yourself.