It's such a shame that Homefront the Revolution still gets so much hate...

It's such a shame that Homefront the Revolution still gets so much hate. Most of its issues were resolved within 6 months of release, but it somehow reached meme status where people continue to pretend that it's some kind of disaster of a game instead of being a remarkably good sandbox FPS that launched in a barely functional state.

Other urls found in this thread:

tcrf.net/Homefront:_The_Revolution
youtube.com/watch?v=PsTR49Wk67w
vocaroo.com/i/s03kMGSXeJzp
vocaroo.com/i/s1HAO2KMm3RI
youtube.com/watch?v=Fk10PzMRPmE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh, shit. I wonder why they got so much hate.

I just couldn't stop laughing at the idea of north korea invading the us.

It's like presenting Mexico as a legitimate threat. What are they gonna do? starve to death at us?

What exactly makes it good, user? I will unsage if you give me a compelling argument of how this game is any different from all the other ubishit open world meme games.

I heard they were originally gonna make it China but didn't want to piss off chink investors or something.

Define good. I'd say its good enough considering the development hell it went through, my main issue is that the world itself is genuinely interesting but gameplay wise it just feels bland without little quirks like there are in something like Metro.

Also playing the Beyond the Walls DLC really shows that the gameplay is more suited to something with a more linear level design since you take a lot of damage and loot is lost on death.

Why do American in particular seem to struggle so much with alternate history scenarios that don't involve Germany magically winning WWII?

What is specifically implausible about Homefront's alternate history scenario where Korea rebuilt after WWII, and a tech company was founded in the 1970's revolutionized the world? I've never actually seen a compelling argument poking holes in the scenario.

If you hate Ubisoft's games, you'll probably hate this, too. Although it depends on what aspects of Ubisoft's games you hate. Because Homefront avoids the worst design pitfalls such as mandatory busywork.

This series looks like the most generic forgettable shit I've seen.

Damn shame. Now that would have been good.

Has that ever happened? Nigga if Japan didn't strike back with toshiba and honda, Korea certainly wasn't going to strike back with Daewoo and fucking Samsung.

Please stop making me laugh so hard dear leader, my sides can only take so much.

Too little, too late.

It was originally China, but they pussied out and changed it to NK at the last minute.

Fuck off gook, your country was always shit.

It's very apparent that they pulled a Bioshock Infinite/Singularity on the game in the last year or so of development. Probably around the time they hired new narrative directors.

Weapon lockers? The magical hack tools? The gas mask that is kind of pointless? Those drug dealers who stand around in alleyways? These things are all remnants of a much more ambitious and, dare I say, less generic game.

They scrapped the side missions and replaced them with the job board. They scrapped more than one main mission. They scrapped gas mask filter changing and scrounging. They scrapped the original drone hacking and remote piloting system and replaced it with those hack tools. They scrapped the original stash system.

tcrf.net/Homefront:_The_Revolution

Several of the game's "generic" design elements are blatantly the result of major design elements being scrapped and replaced with "Get it fucking working because we don't have time" replacements.

The subway was supposed to be a proper hub. You would return there after missions, upgrade your weapons with Cook using blueprints you'd found, and use a map on the wall to fast travel.

It's a little frustrating. They basically Mafia II-ed the thing. It's a really good game, but it's also a shell of a game.

I actually enjoy Far Cry to some extent but the thing that kills these games are the shitty quest doritos you have to follow to get anything done. BotW is my GOTY not because I enjoy it (I haven't played it) but because it has finally caused the masses to realize that following little glowy quest doritos all the time is not the only way to make an open world game.

I don't think you understand. They didn't "strike back". The APEX Corporation invented everything from the internet to the personal computer to the "A-Pad" and "A-Phone".

youtube.com/watch?v=PsTR49Wk67w

Homefront: The Revolution has no real narrative connection to the 2011 Homefront game. It was never China.

I didnt know it went that far, all I thought was that they removed co-op from the campaign and added generic challenge side quests when there was a video a dev uploaded on his channel saying that there was plans for a serial killer sidequest.

Its sad though, Crytek refusing to pay their employees resulting in many leaving really had an effect on Homefront and it genuinely could have been a legit great game after how bad the first game was.

have a cartel overthrow the government and now you have whole country ran by a cartel that specializes at dodging/fighting law enforcement literally next door. are you gonna invade. yea i can see how well that war on terror has been going for you america, how longs it been ten fucking years?

Yea, the "Butterfly Killer" sidequest. It was almost entirely removed, but you can find all the journals and then find the killer's body. Originally you were meant to hunt him down.

The job board is a piss-poor replacement for meeting NPCs and getting jobs from them, Dying Light-style. When I played the game, I actually bemoaned that there was no focus on using your camera to document crimes – kinda like Beyond Good & Evil. And it turns out there was a character with an entire series of missions focused on that.

The sidequest they removed where you discover Sam Burnett has a morphine addiction is genuinely sad, even when you listen to the hissy, unfiltered audio files. Sam is grief-stricken by the moral hypocrisy of the revolution. You're fighting on behalf of people willing to kill each other over food.

They even removed Sam's death scene for some reason.

Crytek fucked the game with their fuckery, but I think some blame lies with Dambuster. They made the decision to reboot the project as an open world game. The game was originally designed like Metro or Crysis 3. And TBH the hub system reminds me of Wolfenstein: TNO. You'd interact with NPCs, upgrade your gear, and then use one of the tunnels to proceed to the next area.

The open world design is such a huge mixed bag. When it's good, it's good. But it diluted the game. It's incredible how tight Beyond the Walls plays compared to the main game.

Best girl.

Beyond the walls really felt like Crysis 2 but with a Half Life 2-tier atmosphere, not that thats a bad thing since theres some good moments like stealthily taking enemies out when they crowd around the dinner or when you're at the town and can snipe enemies or run and gun using the houses as cover. The game as a whole would have benefitted from levels like these but at the same time it came at a time when linearity was automatically viewed as bad and Far Cry 3/Skyrim size maps that take forever to travel through without fast travel and invisible borders everywhere was viewed as good level design.

Looks like someone who gets their intel from tumblr.

If you started working on a WWII FPS game right now, and it took 4-5 years to make, by the time 2022 rolls around, people will hate it for being "yet another generic WWII game". Trend chasing generally only works if you can knock your game out in 18 months or so. Games that take 3+ years always get fucked over by audiences who genuinely believe games take 6 months to make and Call of Duty WWII "ripped off" Battlefield 1.

Holy shit, people bought broken shit and weren't happy that it took them HALF A FUCKING YEAR to fix it. What a shocker.

Doesn't justify the game still having a negative reputation in 2017.

Fuck off with your shit game shill

Why is it a shit game?

It's mediocre at best. It was ok to kill time with, but it was not fun nor good.

Does it still run like hot fucking garbage regardless of the graphics settings? I tried it during its free weeking a long time ago and nothing, even outright lowering the resolution to the absolute minimum, would make the game run at a stable 60fps even though I exceeded the minimum requirements quite handily.

that's probably because everyone stopped playing within a month due to its barely functional state, ya dingus

decent but nothing amazing
completely forgettable
the only half-way fun thing was the crossbow and that was op
you mean the ruined town, non-ruined town or gas-covered ruined town?

The requirements are complete nonsense. Especially if you're someone who values 60fps. However, the game has been patched a few times since the free weekend. There's a chance the game just disagrees with your PC for some reason.

I have an i5 and an RX480 8GB and manage 60fps locked at 1080p with everything at maximum except shadow resolution.

The soundtrack is exceptional. The music in Beyond the Walls is particularly good. The yellow zone themes are also very good. The Ashgate chase music, for example.
Uh… What exactly were you expecting from a game set in a city? Each zone has a distinct visual identity and level design traits. Yellow Zones are very different to Red Zones. The only game that can really compare when it comes to incredibly detailed urban environments where many buildings have some kind of interior is Dying Light.

The Shipyard mission is particularly great in terms of level design, as are the DLC missions.

The recommended are almost exactly my specs (intel/nvidia), with my CPU being quite a bit stronger. I couldn't pull 60fps at ``minimum settings and resolution``.

The two best tracks from the DLC. Homefront has a dynamic music system that plays chaotic, distorted versions of tracks when you're low on health. Strangely, the game uses full ogg tracks instead of sequencing together pieces of music semi-randomly, and therefore more dynamically like Crytek's older games.

vocaroo.com/i/s03kMGSXeJzp

vocaroo.com/i/s1HAO2KMm3RI

Game takes place in an alternate history, where North Korea pulls a Japan and has a massive industrial overhaul in a matter of a couple decades.

The developers commissioned a mockumentary explaining the rise of the Apex Corporation that was watched by a whopping 19,000 people.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fk10PzMRPmE

It's a really good mockumentary. I actually get chills during the scene where it talks about how the father died of cancer and handed control of Apex over to his son. Crazy what you can do with some stock footage, a good narrator, and some effective music.

don't forget about glorious Hyosung, which create rebadged Suzuki frames original motor vehicles

i swear hyundai/kia are the only half-decent things to come out of korea, and it took those people over 25 years to get their shit sorted out

At the same time it didnt help that Homefront barely had any marketing behind it. Most people also never knew when the game would come out.

Oh boy I sure wonder why we hate it

Fuck off shill

I want to punch that face

Is Beyond the wall free?

You talk like FC3 was remarkable or something

This is the most pathetically obvious shill thread I've seen in years

The game was a 6.5/10 at best, but it was barely better than the dry mediocrity of the first game.