Is this supposed to be a stealth game, Holla Forums...

Is this supposed to be a stealth game, Holla Forums? Because I've tried every single method to sneak past people in this game and it always ends up with me shooting everybody. The fact that guys can see you from 10 miles away doesn't help matters. Is there any way to sneak kill people from behind or something with the machette?

Playing this just makes me wish I was playing Deus Ex.

Inb4 git gud faggot.

ITT we post games we think are overrated.

Considering the game eventually ends up being you against mutant ape monsters, no, the stealth isn't supposed to be anything more than controlling how you engage the firefights.
Crysis 1 is a little more developed in that aspect though iirc.

Then the game is trash. The nigger from the beginning makes it a point to tell to "avoid contact", but at the end of the day you just gotta shoot everybody? I guess I just suck but it would be better if this played like FEAR 1 or something minus the slow mo. Even, say, that part at the beginning when you're supposed to get into the carrier, there's a million guys standing guard outside. It's pretty much impossible to take them all out, so the best course of action is to stay underwater so they can't see you. Until this boat comes around and these two guys see you anyway. Next thing you know, you got a small town's worth of people gunning for you.

Feels more annoying than challenging.

Most old shooters like this are complete shit anyways.

No OP, he's saying that both going gun ho or expecting to sam fisher this is not going to work. Or specifically that you should find a balance depending on the section and or your capabilities.

What I'm saying is git gud faggot. Not joking.

Crysis and the other Farycrys have more stealth than this

Get to the cave without killing anyone I dare you ;)

or anyone noticing you

Never have I seen people refer to Farcry as a stealth game. Until now.
What next, mgs is a stealth series?

No other way around it, I guess. Guess I'm just not in the mood for this kind of game at the moment.

I've just been really in the mood for shooters from the era. Already played through Doom 3 and FEAR several times. Tried Half-Life 2 but it bored me to tears.

That's a normal reaction.

That's fair but consider that it's not a typical shooter, rather how it's intentionally difficult and advertised as such. And yes, I know that FEAR has a similar reputation but FEAR never made me break a keyboard against the wall or punch a subwoofer.

Half-Life 2 is filler: the game, with a couple great moments buried under hours of padding of you just walking/driving/boating to the next setpiece with a couple enemies here and there to remind you that you're in a shooting game and not a "walk across Europe with a mulatto" simulator.
I still think it's worth finishing for a couple bits like that bit where you walk across the underside of a bridge, fucking scary even without VR mode and so so you can recognize all its bad habits later games picked up instead of improving its few good ideas.

you fucking suck faggot

Was that a legit question? No, farcry 1 was never a stealth game. While it has multiple routes and a semi-stealth system you were never meant to actually sneak your way to the end. Especially when there are highly perceptive murder-monkeys on every level after the bunker waiting to gangrape you. Hide behind bushes and trees, wait for the enemy patrols to turn around and mutilate them.

I get the feeling this is a thinly veiled reddit thread. If you were talking about farcry 2 or blood dragon I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But, 1? Really? I never hear this game get mentioned here or anywhere else.

Idk about 1, but 2's stealth is my favorite. I can't stand 3's because it's all knife take downs or silent snipers. In 2 you have to get over the jankyness and how extremely unforgiving it is. Still much more functional than something like stalker. Stealth in 2 goes something like:

Farcry 2 for me is one of my goto stealth games. It blows modern shit like dishonored out of the water.

Nah OP, this is a far cry from actual stealth

What are you trying to say here? Did you not read the OP?

Why would anyone ever do such a thing?

pls

tikka tikka tikka motherfucker

Far Cry 2's stealth isn't too bad. Especially if you've been in the bush for a while and aren't fully stocked up.
WIth the design of the game you really couldn't go full stealth with the 6P9, MP5SD and dart rifle because if you got discovered you're pretty much fucked in open combat and you'll probably have to end up having to get rescued by one of your buddies. Then your buddy gets wounded trying to save you and you have the choice of using your sidearm on them or sticking a few too many morphine syringes in their arm and letting them slide away as their eyes stare straight at you.

99% of stealth games have no stealthing at all.

s-s-snake this is a s-s-sneaking mission!

donald cuck
cuckald drumpf

Pick one!

If I pick game can I have stealth too?

The stealth is just to make run and gun harder as you attract more enemies.
it wasn't overrated at the time and I rarely see it talked about now
I'm biased as fuck as I did my first $1000+ build for this game

The console version always sat well with me a lot more, horrid autoaim aside. The start is pretty similar, but the later mutants are far more interesting and the powers you get are fun, especially since it feels uncommon to get stuff like that in many FPS. Sure, it makes the stealth much more casual, but it was never fun in the first place.

But it's years since I played either, so who knows.

Not really, there are instance where you can totally avoid combat but most of the time the idea is
You've succeeded in doing that once either everyone's dead before they could really pinpoint your location or you're at the objective and nobody is shooting at you or chasing you.
Crysis goes for the same approach but gives you a magical "relocate with total impunity" button in the form of stealth mode and the rock is mostly a tool to confuse enemies when they're almost onto you so you have time to kill a couple before they pinpoint you.
The only way you can really stealth at all in Far Cry is get through places where there is nothing remotely close to you.
The newest official patch makes pretty much all stealth impossible by the way because they outright see you through solid objects.

If you're close enough to stealth in the same sense as actual stealth games you've already "made contact" you double nigger.

Triggered weeb detected

Keep going faggots.

The early parts are supposed to give you stealth as an option to either entirely avoid combat or, if that's not an option, to set up ideal ambushes etc. You are not supposed to remove one guard at a time. This goes to shit a few levels in but it does work early on.

Timeshift does everything HL2 set out to do but better. Mostly because Timeshift is a shooter with a gimmick attached and HL2 is a gimmick with a shooter attached.

Shadow of Chernobyl's stealth is perfectly functional once you know the quirks of the engine, primarily that loading a quicksave automatically makes faggots near you detect you and that even changing guns makes sound. It really clicked for me when I cleared out Dark Valley's bandit base with a suppressed AN-94.
If this was removed then even the annoyance about see-through foliage could be forgiven.

I'd have liked to have seen a game that was designed from the ground up for the powers they added, I suppose in many ways that might be Crysis.

>>>/oven/

lmfao casual niggers ruined games

Jesus Christ I bet you'll complain about the G36 actually having recoil as well.
Both are great games but FarCry actually requires skill instead of bring a cakewalk with fucking invisibility mode.

Its like you're the Spec Ops from Predator instead of being the Predator himself.

Stealth is pretty-much broken/impossible, I found myself evading most firefights early in the game, and it ramps up significantly in difficulty in the last third. Honestly it's a bit of a hard pill to swallow and I think the main reason it was praised were it's high-quality, colorful visuals for the time.

Crysis 1 is better in every conceivable way. Hell while we're at it, the other Far Cry games are better, too.

Holy fucking Christ, I just played through this game and I could not fathom if I was somehow absurdly bad at doing the sneaky or if the AI was psychic.