Why the beat em ups are dead?

Why the beat em ups are dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/21/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-4252017/
please
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That looks like a pretty fun game

Games genres come and go in cycles. Platforms died, then they came back. Fighting games died, then came back. etc. Typically a genre gets over saturated or stale and dies off. People miss it, and then it comes back.

They're not, I think. They evolved into 3D brawlers like God of War. It's essence lingers on in dungeon crawlers and souls-like games.

I'd like modern beatemups way more if developers would knock it off with the pointless upgrade shit.

The way he's holding the gun would dislocate his shoulder. I'm not even K this is a huge glaring mistake.

RTS is doing really well with MOBAS like LoL but I wish therr was more variety

Ist not the same

The name of this game is NightSlashersX and is a Beat 'em up maked for data east

They're not really dead. There have been some new beat 'em ups that have come out recently like Mother Russia.

Working on it m8, hold your fucking horses

because their is no point in making a game in this genre when their is MAME. How do you compete with free?

Since when? In the last year we've got a River City Ransom sequel, a Kunio remake, Double Dragon 4 it's crap and games like Tecmo Koei's Musou series and Senran Kagura carry the spirit on in 3D. If you're not hung up on muh 2D side scrolling pixelated retro aesthetic, there are a fair few options.

We're getting a Kunio fighting game supervised by Arc System Works next week.

blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/21/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-4252017/

Wrong, kinda.
The original "Night Slashers" was made by Data East
"Night Slashers X" is a fangame made with OpenBOR, embed related

Failure to adapt into 3d games properly I'd say.

There have been new Kunio Kun games, there was that 2.5d one on 3ds and there's River City Ransom Underground on PC, it's a sequel to the US release of River City Ransom and it's pretty good, especially when you get going.

There was also Double Dragon 4, and Double Dragon Neon which had a pretty good soundtrack.

I don't feel like beat 'em ups can be complex and rewarding when you only have one combo button.

Tokyo Rumble got me interested into the series so I started playing the first one on the NES. It's fun as fuck. I recommend it for anyone who wants a nice game with good sense of humor.

Later in the nineties more mechanics were introduced to make the games more varied

Final Fight 3, Streets of Rage 3 and many fangames like SORRemake and Final Fight Gold did this.

The modern beat em up would be Musou games.

Shadow Warrior 2 and Bayonetta are very much alive

Why the English language is dead?

You'd love the GBA remake of RCR. River City Ransom EX.

Also I didn't know SORR had hidden moves and shit, fug.

I'll give it a try, thanks a lot!

Most are boring and have no variety.

They split into musou, "cuhrayzee" and other subgenres.

There is still tons that come out in japan all the time

Like? I want to know, mate.

Shit genre. Very boring and limited, hard to balance and make fun.
Even during the age of genesis there were attempts to spice it up with elements from other genres like leveling up special moves in Bark Knuckle series or adding complexity to Golden Axe magic systems.
And they they went and added fighting games and RPG elements into games like Guardian Heroes and capcom D&D beat em ups.

So naturally it evolved into either musou series that are all about button mashing and stat grinding or stylshi action games that are about precision and creativity.
And any recent attempts to revive the genre ended up as fucking garbage.
So I'd say it should stay dead for its own good.

Suda 51 and Platinum games make good modern beat em ups.

Everyone else just makes shitty musou games.

I'd kill for a no more heros 3.

There is like 7 new Kunio-Kun games on the 3DS alone.

Are they playable without knowing japanese?

The pic I posted. It's trash, I wish its sprites were used on a real game.

Dunno honestly, it's hard to follow retarded japanese names. But Kunio Kun games were fun because of abundant RPG mechanics in them, and during NES era at that, so my point stands.

Trash.
Trash.
Huge nostalgia trip with light RPG elements and mini games in the vein of the original 2 and 3. So yeah.

Absolute fucking trash holy shit are you serious nigger?

Mugen-tier autistic fanwank at DONUTSTEEL sprite edits. Nothing of value.

It's an AR pattern rifle. The recoil from the standard caliber is so light they make stockless versions called AR pistols that people fire with one hand. Also, it's two sprites. They dropped the second one on top of the first so the weapon you use is clearer. It's fucking lazy, but they probably didn't want to make a whole set of sprites for each different weapon in whatever shit-ass game this is.

Get /k/.

Or just gb2 reddit.

If you know the basic gameplay of the series you can beat them without any problems. Just use a translation app on a phone/tablet for the ones with side quests and you'll never have to worry

Thanks a lot, mate.
I'll give them a try after I beat the first one.

The reboot of double dragon was pretty fucking cool though. Yea "beat em ups" are practically a dead genre, but every once in a while something magical comes around.

Go play Denjin Makai II, Sengoku 3, or any of the Knights of Valor games if you want combo-heavy belt-scrollers.

Because they made thousands of them with almost no differences in the formula. NARC, Double Dragon, Golden Axe, and Final Fight were pretty much just as good as anything that came after. That continued for a few years and then SF2 got big and fightan games were just more interesting to play and everyone switched to making thousands of those, instead. And then arcades died and since playing a beat'em up alone is kinda boring they died with them.

Many such cases.

This.
The jump to 3D made them die or adapt in the form of cuhrayzee or musou games, and the death of arcades also contributed.

I was really hoping that Gang Beasts game was going to turn into one, considering that one level that was like a beat 'em up. Seems to have just ended up a meme game.

A new no more heroes was announced a while ago though if I remember correctly.

wew

Moba's are nothing like RTS. Idk why people keep shilling this meme on here.

Of all the genres to call dead Beat em ups are the last of them

What deader genres are there? I think pretty much everything got revived at this point. Except RTS lol

Different company and it was made in like a week.

I just wanted Neon 2

It peaked a long time ago.

tbh how 2.5D fighters used the vertical plane was always way too janky for me imo

There was Castle Crashers, but I think there ain't that many pure 2d brawlers.

We all did.

Stealth, Racing, non cover based TPS, first person realtime dungeon crawlers like Ultima Underworld or King's Field

Those are constantly being released user, unless you only consider AAA games. And even then AAA racing games still pop up from time to time.

Is that even a thing though? I can't think of any game fitting this description, unless you mean enabling 3rd person mode in unreal or quake games.

Yeah, these are pretty dead.

I don't even remember double dragon 4 can someone fill me in on this?

yea he is going extremely specific like how is "Third Person Cover Based Shooter" a genre? The only good non cover based TPS I can think of were the first 2 socom games.
wtf? there are a shit load of racing games released all the time
I guess we could consider faggotty skyrim and the rest of the shit tier bethesda games to fill that void but we all know those game are pure AIDS so yea FPS dungeon crawlers are frankensteins monster at this point. A mishmash of a bunch of shitty elements only kept alive by Godd Howard.

ronk

yea I heard that Berserk Musou is total shit from everyone on this board and it's total shit from a musou standpoint which probably means it's just epic shit. Really sad what they have been doing to berserk lately. The recent anime raped it's corpse pretty bad and now this game is giving it more aids. It's a damn shame.

It was DFO all over again.

They all kind of boil down to the same thing given the lack of level design, so…

Nigga please, it's not complete shit, it just easily could be much more. Wish people would stop exaggerating so much and stop parroting second hand opinions.

no , you're thinking of Scott Pilgrim

As a huge musou fag I'd say that it's pretty shit.
It has very little moves, characters and enemies. And those that exists are all boring, bland, uninspired and lazy. It doesn't even look good. I guess they blew the budget on license alone.

That game didn't have any good sprite art. It didn't have anything good really.

so it was a bit like your post

They're alive and well on the next generation consoles!

This webm should tell you all you need to know.

The le quirky over the top humor of Neon ruined it for me.

To be fair, stealth games have fallen so far from the peak of Thief 2 that it's excusable to say the genre is dead. At best modern stealth games are platformers/FPS with mild stealth elements.
It used to be until the early 00s. Wasn't incredibly popular. Only ones that jump to mind immediately are Die Hard Trilogy and MDK.

No, my post was god-tier. In fact it was so good it melted your brain apparently.

well yea I stated that I was just saying what I heard from people on this board

just wow I mean holy shit this is somehow worse than the 2008 e3 duke nukem trilogy trailer. Also how does this version of double dragon look worse than the originals? Also Arc Systems are involved and this looks so terrible why?

which is a shame because musou sucks dick

what an incredible country

Are people forgetting games like Dragons Crown, Scott Pilgram the Video Games, or anything recently by Platinum?

FPS has never died. Even the sports genre (the most normalfag of all genres) can't match the FPS genre in popularity.

Can we all agree this is the magnum opus of 3D brawlers?

Where does this go then?

Into your mom's pussy while your dad watches from the closet.

The beginning of that video reminds of the beginning of Ideas Man.

Don't do this to me user.

It's going to be for Switch

They're not, but now people hate them

It's better off left dead after all.

last good beat-em-up i played was MK shaolin monks on ps2. I believe beat-em-ups are dead because no one thinks to use them in any manner and just go "guns" and then you get no hand to hand combat.

It's a bygone genre from a bygone era, unfortunately.

Sequel, when?

Because gangs now just flat out murder people instead of fist fighting.

Infinite lives

/thread

been enjoyin this game, nice beat em up. armor sets allow you to use certain weapons better.

Not good. Who thought the NES versions were the definitive versions of Double Dragon?!?!
(Should have used the Arcade versions of 1&2 or at least the SNES version of Double Dragon)

Uhh… I'm pretty sure Dragon's Crown is Capcom D&D beat'em up part 3, it even has some of the same devs from ToD & Mystara.

I don't understand why nobody does something similar.
It's not like Dragon's Crown was extremely expensive, it wasn't a 3D game, it had no cinematics and the music was bland as fuck and the animations always looked like they were expanding the sprites through some cheap Flash techniques… but the gameplay+sprites+quests was 10/10, I played it till my numbs went numb.

Finally, I see people posting 3D beat'em ups like God of War, Arkham, the Xbox Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta. I do believe that was the proper evolution of the genre.

So we are talking about 2D retro beat'em ups, I guess.

Koei is responsible for the lack of 3D beat em ups. They patented the Dynasty Warriors system of "fighting a bunch of dudes in a three dimensional space", look it up its true.

then you wouldn't have a problem linking it , would you?

They were too simple and refused to evolve. One attack button, jump and movement, that's it. They all started to feel the same due to their limitations. They paled in comparison to Fighting games and 3D Stylish Action games replaced them thanks to their in-depth combat.

I would love to play a 2D Beat em Up with the same complexity as a Fighting game.

You're talking about the early Beat em Up's. Many of the later Beat em Up's actually did have more complex move sets.

Paprium is coming out this year on genesis. If you look past the shameless nostalgia bait it actually looks pretty rad.

Shit, I googled it. Instead of finding evidence to back up my bullshit claims I found this juicy number
please use archive.is/articles/2014-08-26-capcom-files-lawsuit-against-koei-tecmo-for-patent-infringement
Granted this is from 2014, so take relevance with a grain of salt

Oh, I forgot that direct links are verboten.

Dragon's Dogma is a beat 'em up.

Beat'em ups are dead for two simple reasons.
One: They're fun
Two: They're side scrolling.
[Current Year] Industry doesn't want to make games like that.

Do you mean Dragon's Crown?

With Netherealm? never ever, unlike midway, netherrealm only does fighting games and hates to innovate

because by and large Moba's did kill off a lot of the RTS scene outside of the big hitters like Starcraft
Not to mention Moba's were derived out of Warcraft 3

Because they're not fun with only one person and nobody to fucking punch BECAUSE THEY TOOK THE HEALING ITEM CARL YOU FUCKING BITCH.

My supreme nigger.