Rom hacks that are basicly sequels

What are the best romhacks that get rid of the original levels and plot?

Ones I'm aware of

Any other recommendations?

This is how a thread SHOULD be done.

Would Chex Quest count?

That's a ban.

I haven't played any of the Fire Emblem romhacks, but I have a friend who says there are some really good ones out there.

What's this

Elibean Nights is supposed to be an interesting spin, and Tacthack has the potential to be good if it's ever finished. Fire Emblem 8: Master Version is superior to the original.

All the others I've tried are garbage though.

There are practically hundreds of Pokemon Gen III total conversion ROM hacks floating around that nobody gives a fuck about because there are just so many.

Super Metroid Redesign fits, I think. It's got enough changed that it's pretty much a new game.

Why the fuck are they so popular? Is it just really easy?

1.) Pokemon is popular

2.) The tools for making ROM hacks have been around practically since 2003

3.) The community is massive for them

Tons of Sonic hacks are like this.

I'm still waiting for this to be finished.

Dragoon X Omega II was made from FFI and literally everything about it is different. It has an original setting, totally new gameplay (with just one character, but it still feels less cheap than the base game), new graphics (pics related), and new music.

Nuh uh cause you can GOOGLE IT
*/a/utistic screeching*

Seriously though, what's the deal with Final Fantasy -1? My google-fu is weak.

have you tried wording out the -1?

Forgot those. Touhoumon and Vega were neat

Is it good though?

Kajar Laboratories' Prophet's Guile and Crimson Echoes, and Silver X's Dragoon X and Dragoon X Omega II come to mind. Platformers like Mario, Castlevania, Mega Man and Sonic have boatloads.

Ah, it's referred to as negative one. Thanks.

It's really fun. I've played straight through it and the original FFI. DXOII is more difficult, but more due to resource management rather than rng bullshit like in FFI. Still, there's an easytype hack if you want that. It also has 2 postgame bosses and one postgame dungeon.

Also, Legend of Iowa is a similar total conversion for LoZ. That one is fun too.

Oh, not a ROM hack, but I highly recommend Zelda Classic. It started as a no-frills Windows recreation of The Legend of Zelda, but it soon got a life of its own thanks to its level editor and open source. There are entire games fans have made out of its engine. It's basically 2D Zelda Maker.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about this one. Is it at least a better sequel than Chrono Cross?

Looks too unpolished to be a sequel.

Hyper FUCKING Metroid and Metroid Rogue Dawn come to mind. Both are excellent.

It has quite agood chunk of quests made for it. I should take another look at it.

Seeing as how Chrono Cross doesn't even feel like a sequel until the last-minute infodump makes it click together, I'd say so. The writing can definitely be a little clunky at times, though remember that it wasn't even finished, so probably the best way to experience it is via the CEMemorial YouTube channel with annotations. If you decide to seek it out, the version to avoid is Flames of Eternity - it claims to have the balls to finish what Crimson Echoes started, but the creator is outright discrediting and disrespectful to the original team and replacement dialog is even hokier than the base hack for the most part.

Hacks like The Legend of Link and Koopa Kingdom Escape are also quite good

Didn't Mario Adventure have a different title screen?

Anyway, check it out.
Also check out Super Mario Bros 3Mix

hyper metroid is indeed amazing

metroid rogue dawn I couldn't get into, the minimalistic art style combined with the cringey fanfiction-tier premise just put me off too much also I got literally stuck and hadn't saved in a while

yeees! I was gonna post about the legend of link! fucking amazing work even if it's mostly just ripped gameboy assets it expands the LoZ ROM to two megabytes (a 2MB NES game!) and it's just crazy insane good

Hyper Metroid had a cringey as fuck backstory as well, but I play these games for the gameplay. I wish I could help you, but I haven't beat Rogue Dawn yet.

The hack is supossedly called "Koopa Kingdom Escape", but it says Mario Adventure on the Title Screen. It's completely different from the Mario Adventure we all know

Fucking amazing hack, you can even ride yoshi

Bumping with Extra Mario Bros, excellent Mario Bros hack with Metroid elements

As for Sanic total conversion, check out Sonic Megamix 4.0, Sonic: Advanced Edit and Sonic 2 Delta.

you could say that for every Mario game ever

How much did I get right? I've only played NSMB, and it was while back.

Swap the last two.

bump

I always thought one 2d mario game per console was more than reasonable. Even between the Wii and the Wii U that's a 6 year gap between games. Assassin's Creed has a new game every 6 months.

I love you guys..
Please don't leave me

I dicked around with the romhacking tools a fair bit and it is relatively easy

Did Nintendo copy the name from a rom hacker or is it Vice Versa

hi

hello

There is a ROM hack AND a fangame of the same name, so pretty sure Nintendo looked at them and took it as their name.

So nintendo being jews as usual
I remember there being a Pokemon Black before B&W

It's a FE7/FE8 romrack that plays like the Shining Force series. I kind of rolled my eyes at the anti-religion themes, but I appreciate it for being more than a palette swap. Looking forward to it.

You have something against being anti-religious?

If the Emperor just let people worship him and become a warp entity then the Horus Heresy or the fall of the Imperium never would of happened

The problem is they all play the same.

Rock Man 4 Minus Infinity

Touhou Mario is fun as fuck.

Never ever is what I'll say by default until it actually releases

It's a damn shame, Wario Land 4 has such great controls and gameplay. It just suffers from being extremely short

This. Even in fantasy, atheism proves to be the number one downfall of successful civilizations.

It feels a bit two-dimensional as it has antagonists with paper-thin motivation. To put it into perspective, it's like Old Media trying to describe 4chan or gamers. They get so many fundamental things wrong with those subjects that it looks unintentionally silly, detracting from the serious tone it has. (ie, what pic related references from)

IT'S TIME TO LEVEL UP

I feel like this is hilariously old

have some good stuff, shitlords nintendrones.

It is, and that mainly comes down to the fact that theres so many documents and guides. I also dipped my toes in off and on, and I managed to learned how to do a few neat things like catching your own starter. Despite not really having much experience with ASM/coding/whatever

This is an issue, oddly enough. I usually just end up just taking an interest in hacks that improve original games in some way. But you can imagine how that will end up after a while.

I've wanted to try prism personally, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Hyper Metroid

basically SM Redesign but way better

but you'll get fags bitching over the story since it's "what if the endgame of Other M and Fusion never happened but Samus became used goods later in her life?" and shit

What black magic is this?

Are there any good hacks of games past the N64/PS1 era?
I don't mean PC games, I mean strictly console games. I'm actually genuinely curious, I've never actually found or seen ones that aren't just texture replacements.

The XBox version of Morrowind has some mods. Same with Halo, I think. Other than that, I can only think of CTGP-R (a Mario Kart Wii mod compilation), Project M, and some New Super Mario Bros. Wii hacks.

SMT Nocturne for PS2 has a hardmode hack, but it doesn't add any new assets, basically just numerical and gameplay tweaks.

Halo 4 actually had a pretty large modding scene, that made the game somewhat worthwhile.

Like what?

One of the first things in the search results was this.

FF6 Brave new world is miles better than the original even though one of the creators is a horsefucker

wait until Pokemon Prism becomes a official thing, kek.

Jesus fuck I'm not bad at mario and I've played other rom hacks but an are they all tough. I'll git gud I know but it annoys me when getting stars is more of a puzzle than a platformer. I don't play one of the most fun movement games ever just to solve minor puzzles and look for hidden locations. Also Super Mario Galaxy's OST does not sound as good in midi. They should have just mainly stuck with other N64 game soundtracks.

Also some of these hacks are a gold mine of keks.

Be glad you aren't playing Last Impact.

I did. And yea I dropped it mainly because the maps were way to fucking huge. Bigger isn't better with Mario 64. It doesn't need to be easier, just less tedious.

Have you played them? They play pretty much the same despite being a 3D environment. And even then they're still rehashes compared to the 3D games. And they didn't even come close to Galaxy levels of good.

I don't like the term rehash, but both 3D Land and World are structured very similarly to the 2D games, in movement and level design. It says something when you don't even have analog movement, even though you're playing with a circle-pad/joystick.

Reminder

How are they the same?

Movement is straight from Galaxy except for the triple jump. Level design just follows what Galaxy started.
It's like saying that Metroid is exactly the same thing as Metroid Prime, there's no resemblance whatsoever.

Are we talking about the same games?

I need some help with Mario 64 hacks.

I can't find a rom that I can actually expand using the tools, so I found a download for an already expanded version, but it seems like that it's not the original and some faggot broke all the textures.

Can I get a working download?

I hadn't realised I was already posting in this thread, how embarassing

Go read the thread about 3D World specifically, anons there already explained it really well. To put it in short, you can only move in eight straight directions, you have two speeds dictated by a button press instead of variable speed dictated by how far you're holding the stick, moves like the side flip don't actually alter jump height, speed, or momentum like they did in previous 3D games, and levels are designed as straight-a ways divided by 45 or 90 degree bends and don't at all resemble an organic worlds like in previous 3D titles.

However, I'm now assuming you're that autist who claimed movement in all the 3D games are the same because every difference that exists "don't matter" because you say so. I don't see how else you could have played all the games and claim movement is the same.

Not even close, see . It's just worse in every way. The long jump is pointless and the backjump is actually harder to pull off.
Point to me where Galaxy was just a series of blocks placednext to each other. The level design is almost nonexistent in some levels.
Prime gave you a first person perspective and turned a sidescrolling adventure into an FPS with the same Metroid pacing and exploration. Mario went from a sidescrolling platformer to a 3D platformer with very little difference. There's an incredible difference between the two.

You know what I'm not gonna get into this, I've had this discussion far too many times

If you wanna help with the 64 shit though I'd appreciate it

"Hey guys you know what would be a great Idea!? More of those slow moving platforms from Rainbow Ride!" - Nobody ever

This one also goes through the entire map, is twice as long, and is required to ride all the way through in order to get all the red coins. Which are placed in autistic places like on the top of a tree and below an archway you have to wall jump to get up. But boy I fucking LOVE standing still and waiting between doing this. I've died about 20 fucking times because of how quickly the fucker despawns when you're not on it

C'mon that game doesn't even get hard until world 8 and there's only a couple levels like House of Turner and Currents that really need it. Well, aside from the total lack of checkpoints in Charlie's castle.

shit list

mah nigga
r4mi is better than any of the actual megaman games.

In it's defense, star road is kind of shit. The inability to change prebaked camera angles fucked it hard.

Oh yea I'm not defending star road. I won't defend it though because they should have known better.

As someone who 100% the entire thing, that's probably my least favorite level of the entire hack, though music land is up there with it. Platforms that are impossible to tell the size and distance of, enemies in dick places, lots of tiny spaces to jump to/from, and it's all over a bottomless pit. It's just annoying and frustrating to go through.

The question is where the fuck is the invisible switch

Please help, where do I find the Mario 64 rom I can expand to apply patches to

Found it. Fuck that was bull. Also nice choice on the music. SSSV in underrated but its OST is extremely underrated. I would have been happy if the entire Rom hacks soundtrack was just replaced with SSSV's. Embed is a perfect hub world/opening theme.

That one's a bit tricky. All I'll say is to check around the darkness.

Why would I know?

You said you played a hack in full, I was hoping you knew something about the stuff required to play that shit

I downloaded a pre-patched rom.

fuck

did we play the same game?

Yes. The long jump is shortened incredibly in New Super Mario World.

This rom is really fucking pushing it with the slow rides. Fucking pissed.

Please pick up three more coins and take another screenshot thanks

That's a pretty wide net.
How about instead, we try to find Romhacks or Mods that have equal or greater quality and polish than the original game

There's loads of mods out there that add good content, but most of them are either buggy or just have that mod/hack feeling to them. What about mods and hacks that couldn't be distinguished from official content without foreknowledge?

i dont think thats true but maybe. either way, you definitely jump further than you do without it

Why? I'm way past it anyway.

Try it out yourself. You're better off just jumping while running. Nowhere in the game is it useful or necessary.

Wait I'm retarded. I was looking at the stars instead of the coins, I wanted you to have 3 lives, 3 coins, and 33 stars. My bad.

i just did before i posted that. it might depend on who youre playing? i was using mario

So was I. If there's a difference in length I can barely see it. In 64 you used to go almost double a standard jump. Here it's barely noticeable and again not worth doing.

Hey here's your 3's.

Any clue on this one? I can land on those steps on the wall but climbing up that 3rd one is shit. I'm thinking triple jump but it's not really doing the job. Why is this such a challenge on the first level? Jesus.

What the fuck. only thing that seems plausible is walljumping.

There's an owl in a random tree but it only shows up on a specific mission

I got it through dumb luck. Turns you you have to (I think) do a back flat wall jump off the base onto the platform above without pushing off to hard. Really fucking touchy. And you have to land on the lower platforms with a cannon which is easier said than done.

Why the fuck is a star for level 3? If anything this is mid game tier.

Forgot pic

Oh yeah no the difficulty curve in Star Road is more of a difficulty seismograph
Stage 3 and stage ghost world are two of the hardest levels right up there with stage 14.

i will agree that its definitely not double a standard jump. if you arent exaggerating then its certainly been downgraded.
i gotta imagine its because of the multiplayer. perhaps they want to keep things condensed so as to not 'leave behind' other players who havent made a far jump.
perhaps in another game theyll take a page out of sonic 2 and have a completely different set of levels for multiplayer.

Even if that were the case there's never an instance you actually need to use it because of the jigsaw puzzle level design. Honestly I got nothing out of it unlike 64.

you mean for 100% completion or just to complete the game?
either way, i could agree that it feels like it was mostly included as a throwback to 3d mario games, since this game seems to want to be nsmb in 3d.

Point is the moves are streamlined and made less fun. Octagon controls are fucking horrid.

oh im dumb. you mean the full on dash after you built up speed, not just holding the y button to run. yeah im not seeing much of a difference between that and the long jump.

Ain't that the truth. I enjoyed being asked to do more advanced walljumping and shit than what Mario 64 requires, but some parts of the hack are just ridiculous.

I don't mind advanced stuff either but Mario hacks in general tend to really hate checkpoints for whatever reason. Like Scrooge 64 which is just a marathon of asshole clenching jumps over bottomless pits. Miss one jump and you can lose fucking 10 minutes or more of progress.

Are fanmade level makers like SMBX or Zelda Classic allowed? Because this looks really impressive for a scripted event, even though it's already been done in a rom hack.

If you're going to do that, at least post the one that's done in a romhack.

good thing emulators let you make your own checkpoints, if you choose to use savestates in such a manner..

Well, Mario 64 doesn't really have checkpoints to use in the first place.

Because that's literally any romhack that is only an objective fix.

Trying to decipher your post. You mean that only romhacks just add things that are fixes to the prior game?

He's saying that every hack that's just a bug/mechanic/translation fix falls under the category of

Fucking makes no sense if that's the case. I'm playing through Star Road right now and I can easily say the original is a more well designed and paced game. I would rather play Rainbow Ride than half the levels in this game. I there even a hack that does level design half as good as 64? The stuff isn't full of bottomless pits and awkward jumps and slow moving platforms? And an environment that works well with the camera? Shit how about a better Camera? It wasn't great in 64 but it was usually never an issue thanks to forced display shots and the like.

He wasn't talking about Star Road.

I know. I'm comparing Star Road to the issues with these romhacks because I'm currently playing it. I've been through about 5 now and so far they don't compare to the original game.

Then how does his statement make no sense?

Ok I see it. Jesus fuck Holla Forums needs English lessons.

Also if anybody's using sm64hacks.com be careful on some of those hack download links. I'm getting redirected to some pretty scummy shit. This probably has to do with the hack on their site just recently.

There's gotta be a better place for you to learn English, user

I meant more than just fixes/patches, but I should have been clear. I'm talking about mods/hacks that take about as much effort to complete as the game they're modding, with professional-level results.
This doesn't include shit like TF2, which is a commercial buyout of a good but non-polished mod.

Something like a Total Conversion Mod that you'd swear had a team of 10+ developers working for 4+ years on it.

A maxi mini hack for smw is good.
Also BTTC

Bump to last the night. Still looking for good rom hacks but so far the best I'm seeing is Green Stars.

im the best romhack

Fuck you

I think Green Stars is the best one I've come across. It's not autistically difficult or annoying and it's not to linear in most of its areas. Only problem I have with it is the maps can be a little larger than they should. And some stars turn into rather tedious easter egg hunts.

Anybody have Super Donkey Kong 64? I can't download it for some reason.

Mod, not a romhack.

Aside from some bad voice acting, this is really an excellent mod for System Shock 2 that really changes up the RPG mechanics while adding new features but keeping the core gameplay the same.
Underwhelming if you play it expecting a real System Shock 3 but definitely worth checking out.

Try super mario 74 if you want a similar pacing to the original. The original is way too fucking easy, 74 is a bit harder, the end is kinda bullshit but not too bad. Star road is actually hard, yet doable. if you want pure insanity I suggest looking up the Star revenge 2 mod or super mario 74 Extreme edition. Those 2 are near impossible to 100% and were created to make SM64 speedrunners weep.

I've been giving 74 a shot actually and while it's not really that badly paced or designed the levels are pretty bare and boring while the music is pretty shit. I'll see if it gets better but that first world is such a trainwreck jesus christ.

Not even close to 120 but the math doesn't add up. My shit corrupted?

Is there a list that includes Super/Hyper as a tag?

There is this battle city hack with bosses and shit. Also the Rock and roll racing hack.

Figured it out. Turns out I didn't get a single star in MMM and just forgot about it. It was my bad assuming every level would show up on the list regardless of whether you've actually gotten a star on it or not. Was kinda fun. I used some save states in maybe 2 or so places. the latter being on the Hidden Palace Finale. But it was mainly because I would clip through the floor and have to start all over again so I decided fuck it. I guess I'll go for the replica stars but I'll probably use a guide to tell me where they are. I don't feel like easter egg hunting.

So, does it live up to the original?

None of them do. Star Road comes the closest though. If you're autistically good at the game though and can pull off some complicated shit with little effort then you're right at home with most of the romhack community.

Either play this or Green Stars if you want something close to the original experience. I wanna try Super DK 64 but I can't get a download link on the SM64romhacks site.

Here you go.
mega.nz/#!cwkiXDZT!bIRP7w00pnLGm2B4kCwlFRqSg_WwMFsqu_OwTNKPV1c

Many thanks user. I'm one of those faggots who actually likes 101% DK64 for some reason so this should be fun Though it's made by the same guy who did Last Impact so maybe not