One Week, One Vidya #8 - Gun

Gun

The purpose of this thread is to have a new game to play roughly every week so that we can discover new stuff and talk about it.
This week we're going to try Gun.

Gun is 2005 a multiplaform western TPS Playing on hard and it is giving me quite the challenge..If I may give some advice;horses are very useful (I guess that is to be expected in a western),the side quest's are worth completing as they are both enjoyable (at least the first few attempts) and the boost in skills gained is worth while,get the pickax ASAP (initially picked up from Iron Storm's review on Jewtube) as gold mining helps alot with purchases. Finally mouse support in some menus can be abit iffy requiring the pointer to be slightly to the side of the intended target and in the key rebind menu the current row selects next one it also doesn't seem to allow the use of more than the usual mouse buttons.

Originally released in 2005 for;
Windows (a direct port of the PS2 version, so capped at 30 FPS): theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/gun-5/ (The reg file is not required to start the game)
PS2 (Considered by at least one reviewer to be inferior to the 360 version): emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_ISOs/Gun_(USA)/150340-download
OG XBOX: theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/xbox-isos/gun-usa/
XBOX 360 (Considered by at least one reviewer to be the best version): downloadgamexbox.com/gun​-jtag-rgh/
GameCube: emuparadise.me/Nintendo_Gamecube_ISOs/Gun/66598-download
With a 2006 port to the;
PSP (Titled Gun: Showdown, features new side-missions, a multiplayer mode, and other additions that were not available in the console versions e.g. throwing knives and land mines.): drive.google.com/uc?id=0B3tvTjzKe4dkVE9hV0dNT1NSSEk&export=download target=_blank
If you just want to jump straight in, I've uploaded a self created already setup stock English PC version with the fix pre-applied up on the v vola ( volafile.io/r/HF33Go ), with a sha256sum of 4F4229D2B99E28B7599084D403CAD5C6B7A66CFB5024BDE924D3533122880518.
Or look for one yourself, they're all over the net

If you opt for the PC version (there is apparently no difference at all between retail,steam or GOG versions.), according to the pcgamingwiki page to use the native in AA, Fullscreen Effects need to be turned off. In addition play in ultra-widescreen and higher resolutions download (place the extraction results into the game root, the .ini file in the scripts directory is self explanatory.): thirteenag.github.io/wfp#gun
The game comes as a extract and play inside a rar so you will need the appropriate extraction software (If you aren't already using anything would suggest 7zip,7-zip.org ).

Trying new things comes with the risk the thing you're trying may not be very good.

Previous threads:
Valdis Story : Abyssal City 12005471 archive.is/wTk5B
The Suffering 12061887 archive.is/PPPOx
Outcast 12115075 - archive.is/asoEK
Naval Ops: Warship Gunnner 12163475 text: ghostbin.com/paste/6ynmt text+pictures: go4up.com/dl/ffcf2664f70dd8/1_week__1_vidya_-_Thread_#3_Naval_Ops:_Warship_Gunnner.7z sha256sum: d11c876bed53d79624d65d7328365948c494aef9e19e5d98393d8a82c513166e
Elite Warriors Vietnam 12217499 (one user's utterly failled attempt) - Text: ghostbin.com/paste/95yjf text+pictures: go4up.com/dl/7d6f6af11a5de0/Thread#4EliteWarriorVietnam.7z sha256sum: c9eece5e1d26bb8aa48f945233bc20b530177b9c10a61cea86e4b8ba5ea83ef5
Pitfall: The Lost Expedition 12247013 (Thread revival which wasn't properly archived before it fell off the catalogue) - u.nya.is/fetldp.png
go4up.com/dl/7795556c8d5034,sha256:5efd116f133c0470ffa6530b44f0943d8340c11ef85e252e1a4ed644d68df9b9
ghostbin.com/paste/twzyy
Ronin 12308820 archive.is/GYWnd
go4up.com/dl/7c96046cdc9c82,sha256:d53fefeae33ea2e089c6243e6d88f00e94cf75e296afad04ef3d8f6c3f018328
ghostbin.com/paste/nqd3m
DINO CRISIS 12367966
archive.is/i4TA9

OP Pasta (slightly modified) pastebin.com/PVtAQJBG

Other urls found in this thread:

web-beta.archive.org/web/20170423073650/http://8ch.net/v/res/12385019.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

God dammit quit picking games I literally JUST played.

Also two things:
1) I shouldn't have picked hard mode first
2)That bridge mission with the Indians was bullshit.

Thanks OP, didn't play this one since high school.

This, OP is not a gay finally.
I already completed this game myself way back when, so all I have to say is yeehaw motherfucker, and get yourself a pickaxe. Also spoilers on an end-game item:

it is extremely OP but you can't find any ammo for it anywhere IIRC

I felt really retarded as a kid when I couldn't figure out how to beat the final boss the first time through. Had to come back later, but otherwise it was mostly solid from beginning to end. What surprises me is how I love westerns and this game, but I can't fucking stand RDR(either). My only explanation is that I hated GTAIV as well, so it's due to me hating how Rockstar makes their games now. Are there other westerns out there anyone recommends?

Honestly Gun is 100% middle of the road if you haven't got nostalgia for it. Doesn't stop me loving it though.

I remember playing this way back.

My first impression of this game is that the core shooting mechanics are well done, but that virtually everything else ranges between average to incredibly mediocre. That being said, I like it more than Red Dead Revolver. I think the game's title threw people off compared to RDR, and that is likely a contributing factor to this game's poor sales. "GUN" sounds quite generic, and Red Dead Revolver has a bit of intrigue.

Ackstually it's several random autists. It was the same OP up until Outcast, after that it's different OPs every week roughly.

Played it back when it first came out and again recently on PC. It's not a bad game, but wasn't the best either. Up until that point, however, it was the closest thing I had to a really good old west game that didn't rely too heavily on spaghetti western tropes. It still felt a bit on the nose at times, but it wasn't full cartoon schlock.

All I can remember is the game lacking NG+ with the cool gun you get off the final boss and a voice yelling "A WHORE'S GETTIN A BEATDOWN AT THE OLD ALHAMBRA!" Might give this another spin.

At least it's not RDR, I'm guessing the people who praise that game are sonyggers. It's a goddamn cover shooter

Bump.

I remember this game fun times

This game is fun but it doesn't last even two days, let alone a week.

Got Gun with my 360 on release, shit kept me entertained a good deal while I was waiting for other stuff to come out.

Getting a pickaxe and finding gold was a good little 'tism time-filler.

You can glitch yourself into the first mission (it takes place outside the open-world map but right nearby) and then restart the game with all of your stuff, google it.

how annoying.

I was looking this game up a few weeks ago and one YT comment on a review was that it was good but was disgusted that it was basically an Indian genocide simulator. Sold me instantly on it.

Muh
NIGGA
I remember this game feeling way more expansive than it actually was.Still fucking great though, too bad the only Western themed game anyone gives a shit about is RDR nowadays. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST FUCK THAT WOLF

He didn't actually play the game to completion then. This was a big controversy at the time and, much like with Bully, was mostly driven by people looking at the advertising and not playing the actual fucking game.

It's been about a decade since I played it but don't you only defend yourselves against the natives when they attack Dodge/the bridge and eventually side with them?

You can scalp people which caused a bit of controversy. It was probably all manufactured by their marketing team.

Fuck.
The strangest things in life can be a bother.

just play the ones in the thread and then play other games
GUN is a short one even for an "open world" game

Do you mean Red Dead Redemption, or the original Red Dead Revolver?

Yeah you eventually side with Blackfoots to fight the Union Renegades, and Apaches once you learn that Cole's parents were a white doctor and an Apache mother. MacGruder killed Cole's dad and Ned took in the baby. Apparently Cole is supposed to be like 14 years old, appraently.

And when they attack you elsewhere.
Yes, I seem to remember that you might be half-injun too.

Ah, I remembered correctly

Was a pretty underrated game. A shame that the endgame was pointless.

I'M HOODOO BROOOOOOOOOOOWN

Christ almighty. Refrain from blogposting in the OP, would you? I don't give a fuck where you got your review knowledge from; did you really think I would skip the side "quest's" if you didn't direct me to them?

That said, this is certainly a weird little game and it'll be interesting to play. You'd never get something like this published nowdays, especially from a corporation like Activision.

Gun is the only game i've ever 100%'d.

RIP NeverSoft, you were too good for this world and excellent taste and suggestion OP, might as well replay this gem.

So is this a shooter game?

Also is it worth emulating the GC or PS2 versions to play in higher framerate?

…You were

It certainly produced school shooters if the media were to be believed at the time of its release.

Doing god's work user.
Downloading.

I meant both, that's what the either was for.

Out of those two the GC may have a framerate as the PC which is a direct PS2 port is locked to 30.

Did any of you faggots even play this game? Thread's dead, nobody gives a fuck. This place is dead.

ur mum wuz ded last nite

Welp, it's Friday and I don't feel like making another thread. Anyone want to take up the mantle?

FUCK no, this is my one fear

I played Gun years ago on PS2. It was pretty fun throughout but no post-game content to speak of aside from fetch quests

Took me forever to find out that you had to shoot fire arrows at the gas to help kill the final boss. Mostly just had fun shooting people

Yes, I can handle doing it twice in a row.

Just stayed up until 3 a.m. playing this and I can add it to the list of games where enemies suffer before they die. Thanks OP.

Can you please share this list by chance?

I made this thread web-beta.archive.org/web/20170423073650/http://8ch.net/v/res/12385019.html last week sometime. I didn't save the whole thing, I was just able to find this from internet archive. Most of these you probably already know of but I'll say them anyway.
The games I could remember were:
Verdun
Gun
Postal 1+2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games
Dwarf fortress
Solider of fortune
First Medal of Honor
MGSV
Hatred
Half life 2 mod called "SMOD"
Fallout games
Tremere in VTM
Hotline Miami. Webm related.
Brutal Doom
Manhunt
Resident evil games after 4
And you can look up Gore Reviews on jewtube for some more.

Just finished it, I liked it, getting a new weapon after each story mission made them more exciting. I ignored both the hunting and the poker missions but the rest of the side quest were fun or at the very least not boring.

I find myself already waiting fo next's week game! Cheers OP.

In CoD 2 and RO2 people will occasionally start to choke and shit while they die, if that's any good. Sometimes they'll beg not to/start crying in the latter also.