Collecting modern games as investment

Will 7th and 8th gen ever be valuable on same level as NES and such?
or is it that collectors are dying out and new kids mainly thanks to digital distribituon just dont colelct physical at all

If you listen to Holla Forums it's the "new kids" that are to blame for why retro games are so expensive.

so in few years fallout 3 will be collectors valuable while something like yakuza4 wont because its not normalfags compatible?

8th Gen is pure garbage. In my entire life, I've never been turned off by the announcement of a new game until now.

I'm not even going to get into the cluster fuck that is portable gaming this gen either, between Sony hating money and Nintendo deciding that the 3DS doesn't need variety, I do not have the energy this early in the morning.

Only 20 games on the Wii U will be valuable, because, face it. There were only 20 good games on that poor system. Nintendo treated people who expected quality like dirt THEN expect us to buy the fucking Switch when it launched with fewer games than the Ouya? When it comes to collecting Wii U games, most of the owners already have all the good games, so the only thing you'll see on the shelves is shit and expect first print Bayonetta 2 to be overpriced since it came with Bayonetta 1. The later prints are just Bayonetta 2. Oh and Wonderful 101 is another hard find, cherish it because games on Nintendo home consoles aren't going to get better for a while.

The PS4 is an absolute joke compared to the PS2 and PS3. There's a couple of quality games here and there but the rest are so shit you might as well pirate them on PC and call it a day. And that desperate appeal to older, loyal playstation customers comes too little too late to do anything.

Xbox One's biggest draws will be heading towards PC in a year or two. Hell, the only reason I even purchase an Xbox every time is to play Dead Rising and Halo, but since Microsoft enjoys porting everything I have to keep my graphics card updated. That reminds me, I need to upgrade again because HURR DURR modern PC developers can't optimize worth a shit.

PC is fucking weird now. We've reached the point where 2D games require 8GB video memory, not because the game is demanding but because the developers are so shit and believe that their larger files and demanding games will curb piracy. Well, they also curb legitimate sales too. Don't even get me started on the Early Access fad and niggers like Double Fine just making the situation worse for PC gaming.

7th Gen , ironically still has the most hope.
About 70~80 games on the Xbox 360, since all of the good ones have been ported to PC. With the exception of Saints Row 1, Gears 1 , Crackdown, and the Forza series. Until a decent emulator is up and running, people will still pay a decent price for stuff like Otomedius. And there's a few quirky games like Ninja Blade that still gets people's attention.

300~370 games on the PS3 will remain valuable, due to the limited print releases and being region free. You won't believe the amount of games that never got released in America and Europe. It's like they hated making money or something. And then there's system and account sellers. I encountered a fucker trying to sell a PS3 that had the X-men arcade game AND marvel vs capcom AND the Simpsons arcade games on it, since they're no longer available for 800 dollars. Never buy those unless the account the games are tied to comes with it.

For PS3 game collectors, the scalp is nevering-ending.

I've never sold a single game I've been given or purchased my entire life. One day, I hope to transfer all my games to a long lasting medium, set up an emulation room in my home and hope it survives a couple of generations alongside my guns.
For a gaming historical value, I'm using my collection of quality games to actually graph the decline of quality across all Genres.
RPGs , both Japanese and Western suffered the hardest quality wise in the last decade. I mean, we went from quality Holy shit Bravo! Bioware to SJW Bioware.

Japanese RPGs went from "Wow this is amazing, I can't wait for more!" to "Holy shit there's more DLC than content!"
Fighting games have been on a rollercoaster for a decade now, especially when SNK fucked up KOF12 and it took a few years to recover from that and Capcom keeps on fucking up Street Fighter, but the FGC needs Street Fighter to survive so they're just going to keep getting cucked by Capcom.

Oh, one more thing. I may be an extreme idort and buyfag, but I do believe in piracy. Hell. Fuck this entire generation of gaming. I support pirates. Developers shouldn't get a single red cent from releasing incomplete games. If they did this shit back during the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era, they would be out of business the next week. I'm just tired of blind loyalities. I'm tired of raging fanboys. I just want good videogames that can take my mind off my taxing job, is that too hard to ask for?

I long for the days of when games just worked, perhaps we'll reach that point again sometime in the next year after everything falls apart.

Yakuza 3 could be considered, due to the controversial differences between the US and JP versions of the game.
Yakuza 4 won't be a collectors item to normals because Yakuza 5 was considered the more successful game; BUT to hardcore fans, 4 is totally worth the investment.
Yakuza HD flopped harder than Steel Batallion 2 due to being on the Wii U, brilliant move SEGA.. Yakuza 0 failed to draw in the newfags but alerted SJWs that people were having non-feminist approved fun. I wish the other spin-offs would hurry up get translated because hurr durr I fucked up my Japanese PSN account a while back.
At the moment, I believe they're hoping that Yakuza remake is going to revitialize the series in the west and draw in a bigger audience. Because , frankly, I want to the Yakuza series to succeed but if the wrong groups get their tentacles into it, we might as well kiss everything that made it great goodbye.

Fallout 3 is already getting fondly remembered due to how lame 4 was, desite New Vegas being better than it in every imaginable way, except for the bugs and glitches.

Only low print games I'd imagine. Overall not really since 7th gen is when manuals started dying and 8th gen is nothing but 1 page sheets with generic information not related to the game.

so when we talk about low print you mean japanese releases and asian ones? (Okami HD physical comes to my mind)

seems with me having only western usual releases its not that worth it to keep them

You're a fucking faggot.

Get out of here scalper.

I switched to Japanese games a few years ago and I noticed that they are generally the only ones who still give a fuck. Excluding FF15 ofcourse. I was amazed when P5 didn't have a day one patch! I thought there was something wrong with my connection.

Thing is that most people don't care. I personally never play games on release anymore and always wait until all the patches and DLC is out. People who played Witcher 3 on release got the short end of the stick.

Early Japanese PS3 games like the train simulators and Aquanauts. Low print PS3 western releases like Cold Steel, Persona 5, Afrika.

maybe niche games and JRPGs would work but nobody is gonna pay you 120$ for a used copy of the 10millionst installment of james bond or call of duty.
I think if you are a scalper there is nothing wrong with it, if hipsters are your prey. Their money is a waste for them so it is better for you to take it. Neckbeards pirate their shit anyways and usually look for bargains.

Supply and demand.

Fallout 3 got a huge print AND is digitally available. Contrast this to Xenogears on PS1.

Yeah. Western Releases are usually hard to find something that's worth saving.
That was the one that got away. I'll never get another chance to grab something like that for 100 bux.

Scalpers are a love/hate thing.
They milk normals and make it uncomfortable for them.
They gouge the hardcore and make it a complete bitch to complete your dedicated collection.

You gotta learn to deal like a retarded jrpg character. You get what they want, at a cheap price, so you can recoup your loss when you aquire what you want.
I mean, if you're planning to resell. If you're a hard collector, every addition to your collection is a gain at a loss.

Sometimes I wonder when I lost control.

the only 7th and 8th generation games that will be worth anything are games that are obscure ass hell or came in with a good collectors edition that was released in limited numbers. Anime games fit that criteria since they usually don't large printings and need collectors editions to justify a physical release.

Without any shadow of a doubt. Will take a long fucking time for it to happen, but it will.

Wish it were the case. Mainly since shit's so common, there's no reason to scramble for shit. Wii games are an exception since it's Nintendo and shit latches to that fast, and the Vita since it was a fucking failure. Vita's still good regardless.

Scalpers are purely negative thing and the only one who would say there's something positive about someone who's sole direction in life is to create artificial scarcity for luxuries is pathetic and only defensible by others that are equally pathetic.

its just image searched

No.
\thread

Meant

It's a depressing thought to one day see HALO 3 RARE 360 GAME $200 without any hint of irony.

Agreed. They are cancer in the video gaming world.

They are a cancer literally everywhere.
Do you know how many pieces of hardware can NEVER be documented because of shitheads hoarding them?

im just trying to decide if its worth to keep anything from my ps3 games

Scalpers are already trying it. People have been taking advantage of the Switch and those limited releases of PS4 games and shit.

Nope. But I agree. They are scum.

I wonder what percent of them are Jews. I'd bet it's a lot higher than the percent of Jews worldwide.

It's less than you would expect Holla Forums-kun, a lot of it is actually chinese people at manufacturing plants. Which is a big reason why countries need to start manufacturing locally instead of that shithole.

Some of it will be rare, most of it won't due to constant re-releases, I have like 400 PS3 games, I bought all but like 10 out of bargain bins and only a handful are rare at this stage but any of them could be reprinted at any time, If you accept this it's an OK hobby but it is never a long term investment.

Keep the JRPGs and VNs then.

Mainstream games are too common but games like pic related are worth the space.

plebs
that's why i have invested in rare bottlecaps ,when ww3 comes and the EMP from the nuclear blasts fry all electronic devices and whipe all DVDs,cartridges and whatnot , me and my investment will be safe and after the nuclear fallout settles i will emerge as an undisputed ruler of the nuclear wasteland

Many of my PS3 games (Japanese games including Japan-only games) will likely become rarities in the future, but I don't buy them with that in mind.

That's not what an EMP would do.

Fresh out the Fallout 4 hype, I sold some kid a collector's edition of Fallout New Vegas for $100. That will probably be my best 7th gen transaction.

Perhaps that's the case. But scalping still feels like a very Jewish thing to do. Then again, I'm not sure if they have the foresight needed to do it effectively.

It's not a jewish thing to do, it's just a shithead thing to do.

No

been in any nuclear blasts recently and lived to tell the tale? no? then shut up

But that's literally how all of capitalism works. You should be celebrating it because it's the diametric opposite of communism.

rereleases like the essentials collection?
what about HD remakes for example Ico+SotC or god of wars, do they decrease prices too?

Considering his original statement, I do get the feeling that he's looking more to make money than just what to keep around.

Admittedly I'm not sure how print sizes compare, but it's not as if Xenogears sold poorly. At all. It still costs a solid $30-40 where I live, probably between reputation and being a PS1 Square-Enix game. Plus, Xenogears is also digitally available on the PSN as well (in NA anyhow; PAL never got the game outside of imports and people with NA PSN accounts, the latter of which admittedly being a good idea on a "get access to more games" front). The likes of Tales of Destiny/Eternia and Suikoden II would be better examples, especially the former two as they outright have no PSN rereleases for whatever reason (Konami did take five years to put Suikoden II on the PSN after having put the first entry up though).

On a quality end, sure (though with JRPGs, depends on who you ask, quality on the whole has declined; I certainly don't like the trend towards cutting content to make paid DLC from). A number of them are fairly cheap though; Ar Nosurge PS3 seems to have become much more available where I live, perhaps due to the Plus version on the Vita being brought over and dropping demand for the PS3 original (at least amongst owners of both the PS3 and Vita).

I just dont want to end selling something that may become valuable later
found a old PS1 Crash Bandicoot and sold it for something like $50

but for ps3 seems I will sell the mass appeal games like GoW3, Killzones, Ratchets, RedDead, NHL, JournyCollection, MMidnight club, modnation, MGS Legacy
while for now keeping Ico collection, Demon souls and Yakuza4

Yakuza 3 and 4 are in a bit of an odd spot where I live. As long as Gamestop still stocks them (which locally is an issue in itself; the bulk of copies are congregated a goof 40-50 miles roundtrip in the capital, meaning the locations branching of of it don't see copies come in that much), most other stores have to remain competitive with their prices to move their own stock. Multimedia stores around here have taken to already asking much more. with Yakuza 3, I've seen one chain asking maybe $25 or so for it (better places ask maybe $13), and or Yakuza 4 they ask about $35 (better places asking $15-20). And another multimedia place (which has since closed down) was asking a whopping $60 for a horrendously beat up copy of Yakuza 4. Though, I'm not sure how much credit to put in them; some games they've had a habit of asking way too little on, but other ones they ask way too much. Try Folklore or At3 for $34 or so, or Trinity: Souls of Zil O'll for $28.

In general though, 7th gen is in an odd state. Especially as far as systems Gamestop still stocks for. 360 and PS3 games should for the most part still be rather reasonable in price right now, barring some of the newer releases which might be like $30+. With the Wii though, there's a handful of games where the price has already started going up steadily. Obviously Xenoblade, Metroid Prime Trilogy (especially the steelbook original release), and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn have been expensive for a good while now, but some others like Fragile Dreams, Dokapon Kingdom, and Arc Rise Fantasia have been creeping up as well. I'm not sure how much 7th gen (DS aside, that's already gotten hit hard in some ways) will start getting hit by scalpers and resellers pushing marked up prices once Gamestop stops stocking for it. Makes me wonder if people felt similarly unsure of how sixth gen was going to be affected.

None of the PS1 Crash games should be going for that much, given how common they are and all having PSN versions as well. Though, for whatever reason, the first Crash Bandicoot has commanded the highest prices.

well thats what I dont get with all those prices and I just cant seem to get definitive answer also wanted to sell it because of remaster coming soon, thought it would affect price
and with that Yakuza4 will it go up or down? I had luck I guess because guy was selling it for 6Euros

I don't even have a PS4 (as of yet), and I've still made mental note to check for Gravity Rush Remastered when out at stores just in case one turns up cheaply. Not even for reselling, but just so I won't have to deal with that shit further down the line when it might be even more expensive.

Kiwami, you mean? I could maybe see it affecting the priced/demand for the original version. Sometimes remakes don't cause a noticeable change in price/demand for the original version, especially if the remake doesn't sell that well to begin with, or isn't considered a necessarily better experience. With Yakuza though, for series fans I'd wager a guess that having a version of the first game playable in English without being dub only might cause a good amount to ditch their PS2 copies. And of course there's always potential for a new entry, remake or not, to bring in new fans that then go looking for earlier entries. I seem to recall Path of Radiance's price shooting up around the same time as Fire Emblem Awakening's western release and subsequent increase in awareness of the series amongst people that hadn't looked much into it before.

Anyhow, in regard to those multimedia places, for better or worse they don't seem to follow the prices or logic that Gamestop and other independent used game stores here do. That one can ask way, way too much for some games, but other notoriously expensive games can occasionally be much, much cheaper than anyone else would ask (hence why I go there). It's mostly been in relation to older system though; kind of rare that I've found 7th gen games there (DS aside) that were at substantially lower prices than elsewhere. Did manage to find one game that averaged $30 there marked as $12 (and which I got for about $6 after discounts).

I meant the crash bandicoot for ps4, not yet selling Yakuza since I have not finished it yet since I bought all those games to play them and to flip them for profit is nice little bonus but to wait or not a years is the question that still haunts me

NES games and such are not valuable. They are being hoarded and listed as insane prices but they are not rare or valuable. Look up that $300 game you think is valuable. There are 40 more listings around the same price all waiting for that impatient sucker with too much money. If you are buying at the current prices you are a fool. Take a trip 20-30 miles out of the nearest big city and go to their yard sales, junk and pawn shops and you will find the same stuff that is being listed online at a reasonable price because that is where the price gougers online get it.

Oh. I don't know then. Again, it might depend on how the Crash remakes turn out, whether the originals wind up still being the go-to.

We never had NES here (gommunism) its just NES somehow stuck in my mind as something valuable and rare
and those yard sales are so cool shame we dont have them here

I'd wager that most games/systems in general aren't all that rare anyhow. Unfortunately, the relationship between scalpers that want to hock shit for as much as they can, and hipsters or millennials looking for games they grew up with that now have too much money to drop and not enough common sense to wait for good prices, means that even common games can see highish prices. That blows the market up, since few sellers want to feel that they're not making what they could be (because the scalpers are managing to ask $X for Y game instead of $X/2 or whatever it used to be), and the average customer sees those prices and assumes it's the norm. Thus, a new average is established above what a game ought to be worth. The SNES and Gamecube in particular seem to get hit noticeably hard with that. I at least started picking stuff up for the Gamecube before that happened, and can still manage some worthy finds every so often with a bit of luck and perseverance, but I can't justify getting an SNES at this point. Far too much of what I'd like to play on their costs way more than I feel can be justified being dropped.

That's what's happens when you're stuck with eating shit from pirates.

Yakuza 1 isn't particularly rare or valuable though, complete copies go for about 30 bucks, and that's just ebay.

I was referring to the thread title.
The only valid reason to collect shit is because you want to have it at a later date.
Anything else is scalping, which makes you subhuman scum.

pls no ru*sian shit
but pic related was first major console craze for average people around here

Tip top kek schlomo. Keep cornering the market with your pristine Stadium Events for the NES

Nevermind

cool, have fun waiting 40 more years for when the off-disc content will barely have more appreciation value than a ford aspire