Gloriously stupid character design thread

Why is his forehead the size of a skyscraper?

How would you have like him to look?

It's an ant though.

It's not??
ohh wait yes it is

It's even mentioned in game that it's not a true metal gear: no nuclear launch capability.

It's also mentioned that it could be modified to launch nukes.

IT'S NOT A GIANT SPIDER METAL GEAR, YOU DOPE! IT'S A GIANT INSECT METAL GEAR! CAN'T YOU COUNT THE LEGS?

The nanomachines part was most likely done to justify making him fight with his bare hands

Nanomachines, son.
Do you know what baldness is, user?

One of the things everyone fails to bring up is that Metal Gear is now more of a "Brand" title and not a specific indication of being a walking nuke launcher.

This started with Metal Gear RAY which is built to… disable other metal gears and features zero nuke abilities.

Yeah, but Armstrong's head always seemed slightly too tall to me.

A lot of people probably have bigger foreheads than you think, user. They just have hair covering most of it up. It can be really noticeable when a woman combs her hair all the way back and gets an instant manface.

Please dont kill me with your mind

He isnt. Thats the whole point. The world shifted to using cyborgs but he saw the strength nanomachines had and used them to his advantage.

THE BETTER TO HIT YOU WITH MY DEAR

For me this dude still takes all the cakes ever

It's also to give him a duality with Raiden, different approaches to transhumanism. Raiden's modifications out and out replace the human body, while Armstrong's modifications drastically modify what's already there, and according to Doktor the latter theoretically has more potential than a full-body replacement with metal and carbon nanotubes. Certainly Armstrong outclasses all known military cyborgs, up to and including Raiden himself; Raiden only won by virtue of Sam's macguffin sword.

I thought it was a praying mantis.

That's now how you spell "strength of your convictions." Also, he continually prevented repair by destroying the core cluster.

The convictions that couldn't put a dent in Armstrong until they had a firm grip around a red sword. Destroying Armstrong's heart was about the only way to kill him anyways, probably if Sam had known that he'd have done so himself way back in the DLC chapter and saved everybody a lot of time and effort.

Obligatory.

It's got awe inspiring digging skills, so just slap a nuke on it and it can just go underground where the country is then blow itself up.

The giant pizza cutter is for those two pizzas in his bag

I've seen pants like Tidus's, where the legs can zip on and off to change their length. All he really did was cover one arm in armor and zip off the pants leg on the same side. Aside from the basket weave, the rest of his outfit isn't all that ridiculous.

He's still technically a cyborg. His whole body, with the obvious exception of his brain, is nanomachines, and his brain would have to be encased in one of those cyborg shells.

But Armstrong's body is entirely replaced. It's just entirely replaced with lots of little robots, instead of artificial muscle fiber and metal plates.

Nah nigger his heart is essentially an engine\factory that keeps putting them nanomachines out. They circulate in his bloodstream and can be automatically or reactively activated when needed turning his skin into that funky shit. Maybe his brain had a chip placed in it to help control but otherwise that's all Armstrong, why would he have imperfections (the scarring, the weird forehead mole\bump) if his body was entirely malleable?

You don't understand how the nanomachines work, user. They don't replace his body. They're in his body.

I am 99% positive it says in-game that his entire body is made of them. How else would he be able to simply fuse his arm back on? Did you see any internals in that stump?
He needed to keep it secret from the public.

And, even if I'm wrong and the nanomachines simply inhabit his original body, he's still a fucking cyborg. That heart sure as hell isn't natural.

Time to rewatch all the futurama movies

Because his body obviously isn't designed to be entirely malleable, despite the nanomachines being able to make fire blasts from the ground it is consistently shown to be massively energy demanding and if his power runs out he'd just melt into a good of some sort, the nanomachines obviously have some sort default "mode" or state that basically accomplishes what his normal cells would do on their own on top of all the other features and gimmicks he's got.

Compared to the other party members, not too ridiculous.

While that dress is ridiculous, I do like how it gives you just a peek of her thighs.

IT'S NOT A PHASE MOM, THIS IS WHO I AM NOW!

Did someone get really assblasted at all the remarks about the overuse of belts in designs back then?

This shit writes itself

Could be wrong, but I think I heard Nomura decided to challenge the people doing the actual rendering with trying to get that to work with the actual game, or something.

Really though, you want to see batshit character design, have a Nooj.

He's probably worse, because on first glance it's just a fancy Landsknecht style anime mercenary, but the more you look at it the uglier it gets.

Hmmph. While I can count your belts with my hands, try counting mine!

Everyone knows hedgehogs don't run fast.

how do his tails even spin

SA1 flight animation explains everything.

I think Seymour's hair is still more ridiculous.

The hair made me stop playing FF10. It was way too retarded even for JRPG standards

You were expecting masculine characters with absolutely normal hairstyle in a SE game?

You can't make this shit up. That's actually real?
That's fucking hilarious. There's no way they didn't make that as a joke.

It was a joke. Nomura was actively fucking with the CGI team because they said some shit about one of his designs or some shit.

I can see it.

Is it an ongoing gag then?

To be fair, I would assume that it's easier to make a 3D model for a character that can be used throughout a game (specially animated scenes outside the game's engine notwithstanding), as opposed to having to redraw a design over and over like you might in a manga or anime. For example, going off the opening for .hack//Roots, I don't think Bee Train bothered to put that many of Haseo's belts in the animation, compared to the 52 he has here . Though, I suppose maybe there's a chance it's not even the same outfit, but a similar one intentionally. I don't know. Maybe it's just that he's still a novice beltlord by that point. I still need to look into G.U. and its related media, so I can't exactly say what the case is.

Not that that excuses baffling design choices.

I honestly kind of a "Belt Quest" style game, where all the equips are belts of some sort, with each one on the body adding further to defense, buckles as accessories granting special effects, and two or three belts fastened end to end as a whip-like weapon for both combat and exploration (which can also be customized). I mean, don't even try to hide that the protagonist is naturally going to wind up looking ridiculous by the end, or ignore that factor, but instead purposefully embrace it.

They did everything right with him. Truly he his the embodiment of the USA.

I really do have to wonder what that "sword" is made out of.

white Yakub

Tidus looks like he-man in that picture. It's a pretty big improvement.

10/10

He's got antenna that he hides to appear human.

Armstrong is fucking badass you total faggot.