Low refresh rates

so why did you buy into the jewish game of flat panels? Don't you know this is how (((they))) win?

Other urls found in this thread:

flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1465304750
lagom.nl/lcd-test/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wut

if you want to scalp your trash go to craigslist not here.

plebeian detected

Monitor shitposting thread? And you're wondering why people are so defensive about using flatscreens (protip: it's because they're flat).

flat is only good for women tbqh

Do HD cathodic tube screens exist?

I sure miss waiting for 15 minutes for my monitor to warm up, and then getting a headache right after. Those were good days.

they've been beyond HD well before LCDs hit HD due to arbitrary resolution, but the ones designed for it look best. You want pure analog ones, HD consumer shit is really bad but a GDM-FW900 is a holy grail monitor. they are also christian not catholic

your mom got tired of your father taking 15 minutes to get ready which is why he left you and you grew up the way you are with a gsync monitor nvidia shills sold you unsure of why your life is falling apart

they are connected, trust me

why?
less power
less heat
no mercury (assuming LED)
no worry about vacuums
lighter
takes less space
no noise from electron gun
no flickering

Playing stealth dark games like thief on crt was the best anyway. There is no better dark than Total absence of light.

scalper_lays_his_bait.png

Because I don't have the space on my desk, plain and simple.

Yeah alright user.

I swear, there's this one fucking autist who never shuts up about monitors as if anybody actually cares.

Everything you like or dislike is a meme

Please child, leave

Hit too close to home? You sure flipped your shit fast.

Fuck no, my desk's 60lb CRT used to be enough of a pain in the ass.

My friend's family used to have an older '46 TV. This thing was massive, it must've weighed 100 pounds or more and took so much depth space you really had to have a big damn living room to get it to fit in there nicely. My 48 Bravia I just bought weighs about 10 pounds, can be mounted on a wall and takes depth space of about 8 inches of space if on top of of something. That's the deal.

Same goes for PC screens, you have so much more utilitarian space with flat screens and OP especially seems like bait, with a comparison pic from when Doom 3 came out or so.

Get a life, faggot.

CRT-CHAN IS ARA ARA THICK CHRISTMAS CAKE WHO LOVES YOU AND WORKS HARD TO DELIVER BEST EXPERIENCE

LCD-CHAN IS A FLAT YOUNG BRAT WHO JUST HALF ASSES HER WORK BECAUSE SHE KNOWS PEOPLE WILL PUT UP WITH HER BECAUSE SHES A LOLI

Lcd hasn't improved much since doom 3, same principle design.

as always on Holla Forums

it is spelled thicc user

Catholics are the only true Christians.

Are you still on a shitty TN, poorfag? Sadly, I am.

Why would you lie like that?

My laptop has an insane max viewing angle, it keeps an almost exact same pallet for up to extreme angles over 80 degrees.

And CRTs have perfect viewing angles so this seems like a moot point. Unless you wanna pay $500 for a LCD.

Buying a CRT monitor for $20 was the best decision I ever made, blows my LCD out of the water in quality.

Same here. Also comparing my Matsui 26in TV I bought in 2007 to what it is today, the TV viewing angles are insane as well. On the 2007 one too much to the side or up down and it would be shit.

And I don't think anyone is arguing that CRT is bad either.

I remember the ol' days when I had enough deskspace to fit these.
I'd honestly go back if it wasn't for the limited space.

You can't change it without changing the very principle its based on. And the only meaningful alternative has a usage period of 5 years at half brightness

My point was that LCD/LED technology does not stand still. My LED monitor, which I use as the main gaymen monitor, has very deep blacks, perhaps not perfect, but very decent indeed.

Same point of failure, digital design.

Are you talking strictly monitors for computer use or TVs as well? Because I already and other anons made a good point that space is a real good reason for going flat.

Deskspace is only a problem if you have a really shitty desk, a not desk, or you're a hoarder.

Once you put down a CRT anyways you can put stuff (like mics and shit) on top of it anyways

What CRT do you have, for reference?

Give me price points, user.
What's a good native 4k CRT that's less than the cost of an equivalent LCD?

I won't pretend that the infuriatingly short half-life isn't a problem but you may as well be comparing steak to cake here. Other than the presence of minor ABL and image retention that shit is as perfect as image quality can get.

Still have an HD Samsung plasma with tolerable response time and see no reason to upgrade until full backlit LCD can push out 1500 nits or more. HDR is a meme right now but goddamn, it has potential once displays for it aren't trash. Dolby Vision is targeting a 4000 nit peak so we've got a long way to go.

And yes I owned a 30" Sony CRT when 720p LCD was the hot new thing. Geometry distortions bother me more than black level imperfections. Even Triniton screens had about 1440 lines which makes them slightly bettet than 720p resolution wise - and that's if you ignore flicker. CRT for anything beyond composite video isn't half as good as people like OP make it out to be.

If you're playing on a tiny professional CRT you're basically one of those dickheads who spends two grand on a record player: You aren't technically wrong about the quality, but you're still an insufferable faggot and most people will play shit on a modern device because they can't stand the pretentious bullshit and pathetic self-validation that usually comes with it.

1440p is better than 1080p, not just 720p. We were perpetually stuck on 1080p for years due to lcd and 16:9 taking over 16:10.

You will never know how comfy this is

honestly the best argument

Poorfag detected. You pay for quality with CRTs, unlike LCDs.

Comfy is a code word for shit. The word you're looking for is awesome. Nice cat, though.

S-Video looks gorgeous on a CRT. I think that's the sweet spot for most classic consoles (sure RGB or component are better, but they are less common / require modding).

awesome means truly incredible or awe inspiring. old technology we've all used before is anything but that.

I don't think even 1/50th of anons here had high quality CRTs growing up, tbh.

crtfags are literally worse than ass autist at this point tbh

you gonna point us to an affordable CRT 1080p+ monitor that doesn't weigh as much gaben and supports DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort/whatever standard input is being used?

Why would you use a digital signal on an analog display? Just stupid.

I'll pay for quality, user, but CRT is also ancient tech, meaning it should be dirt cheap to produce maximum quality.

so im going to be plugging my current __ with a __ into a 1080p+ CRT ___

Modern gaymurrs

Not necessarily. Compare hose nozzles. Solid brass machined nozzles are much older than the modern design using zinc and plastic, and are also much more expensive to create.

Now here's the kicker, when zinc is in contact with copper (which is what the end of your hose is made of) in a wet environment, it rapidly corrodes, and also glues itself to the copper, ruining both the hose nozzled, and the hose, and the plastic rapidly deteriorates in sunlight (which the nozzle is going to get a lot of, sitting on the end of your hose all day).

So on one hand you have the older tech which is more expensive, but will last a lifetime, and then you have the newer tech which uses trash-tier materials so that you'll need to replace it over and over and over, spending much more than if you had gone with the more expensive, quality option.

Similarly, CRTs cost more to create than LCDs, but they also last much longer.

Try harder, faggot.

Or, more realistically, you are probably advocating the maintenance of a second computer with a dedicated VGA out? What?

I bet he doesn't even think diamond is the hardest metal.

7/10 for effort and execution

Where are you finding a newly produced CRT for $20 fam? I'm specifically talking about the manufacturing cost, which directly translates into the end-cost for the consumer on new products.

where the fuck are you getting
from user?

Had some huge ass ones when I worked for a graphics design company. They were heavy as fuck.

LG OLED TVs in particular started with a 4 year lifespan, and the new ones are now estimated to last 11 years. I don't know about other manufacturers, or which one that user may be referring to.

flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1465304750

ok then

some fag posted it earlier, like they always do. it's why you visua-philes(?) and audio-philes never make any real headway.

lcd displays dont give you eyepain and headache after using them for more than 1 hour, unlike crts.

You can get 144Hz LCD monitors, can you get CRTs which refresh that fast?
Nigger there are plentiful monitors with a response time of 1ms or under, and anything below 5 is a meme anyway.
Any modern day monitor has at least three types of input, what are you talking about?
What are OLEDs?
And CRTs weren't? Not to mention they weighed a fucking ton.
Citation needed
This is the only valid critism.

Reminder that CRTs are a fucking meme, LCDs aren't as bad as people say, and SEDs will never save us all from Korean technological Jewry.

thats wrong though. crts break after 2 - 3 years, lcds last a decade and more.

Fucking hipsters.

Yes, exactly.

Are you 12, retarded, or just have a selective memory? CRTs gave lots of people headaches. To the degree that stores sold filters to put over them, and plenty of workplaces offered them to lessen the impact on your eyes because it was so common.

There are a few tricks to help deal with this (lower resolutions at higher refresh rates, lowering brightness, having good lighting in the area, etc.), but for some people, headaches were just part of using a computer.

Born in the mid 80s. 'Muh crt headaches' is just as ridiculous and overblown as 'muh msg headaches'.

I'll just pick up a framemeister sometime this year. It'll give me more flexibility than a PVM or a Ikegami for the same price.

What about normal LEDs? I'd say the are somewhere between LCDs and OLEDs in terms of image fidelity.

The numbers reported are the same as OLEDs (60-100k hours), but is that when the display is expected to shit the bed and be completely unwatchable, or when the backlight reaches

So no one still hasn't told what CRT they are using.

BUT I NEED MUH WIDE SCREEN

Well, I've had my LED main since 2012, and my PC stays almost perpetually turned on. Well, maybe not perpetually, but I'd say about 50-60% of the time. That's about 25-30k hours, haven't had any issues at all so far.

-t. CRT reseller

CRT Pig Disgusting. OLED & Quantum Dot are the new hotness.

Asus republic of gays are releasing a 4K Gsync HDR monitor at 144Hz sometime in third quarter of this year.

Jesus don't post that, you'll summon the turbo autist that bought that shit.

I'll buy two, one for me and one for my wife's son.

Get back to me when you can measure your response time in nanoseconds and do perfect 240p and non-square pixels plebe

A quantum dot HDR screen would be great for /agdg/ shit if I had money, but I don't so I'm stuck with a crappy Asus 1080p 60Hz monitor with shit colour response. If I ever see a good CRT at a secondhand store I'll probably buy it for vidya even if I think widescreen is superior for vidya, which benefits more from extra horizontal than vertical space.
By the way, if you're stuck with a shit LCD monitor you should probably run it through lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and adjust your monitor settings to get the most out of your display.

They might as well call Full HD(even though Super HD would be more consistent with the naming they chose) 2k, because it's 1920x1080.

CRT's are objectively superior in every single way except 2 - geometry and convergance.

But having said that, one pro tip: Do not fall for the PVM meme.

What about flickering?

You should have stayed.

This fucking fucking shit right here. I will never regret that choice I made in Nier. You deserve the truth before you die.

Shit baker tbh famalamborghini.

meme

Fuck, wrong tab. My eyeballs hurt. Must be this LCD monitor :^)))))))))))))))

You mean LCDs, OP? Because CRTs can also have a flat screen

Is this fucking bait?

POWER CONSUMPTION

CRT refresh rate wildly varies, and depends on both scan rate and the resolution that you use, since larger resolutions require more lines per frame.

trips confirm

tfw no SED

You CRT fags are still around? Holy fuck.
You're nothing more than niche at this point, for emulation and playing old consoles.
All that shit is out of date and inaccurate.
Just give it up you eternal neets, get a job and buy some new shit.

Got a source for this shelf. don't care about the lighting but i could use something wide enough to fit an original xbox

Seems to be a custom-built.

CRTs were great for gaming. Problem is, they weren't great for cubicles. They were large and the fonts were less sharp. As business use was exploding, the market followed. Those of us that wanted to play vidya held onto our CRTs for a very long time but no advancements in CRTs came after so we eventually had to concede.

It's less of an issue now as there are no go fast games anymore.

Framemeisters have gone out of production and a replacement model has been announced but no word on the release or features. It is more expensive than a monitor.

Buy a better homes 4x2 cube shelf. Fits an xbox with an inch to spare on both sides.

I have something similar now but my pc engine/suitcase has the damn rca cables on the side so it just fits and the 1 inch on the side of the xbox worries me because there are vents on the side.

Threadly reminder.

SED would still be fixed pixel, lacking one of the major advantages of crt. It must be understood that the crt tube is a vacuum bulb, light cant penetrate it, and because it uses things like shadow masks or aperture grilles, the perceptible dots far exceed what any lcd is capable of, even 4k. While there is no 4k analog signal sending an analog rgbhv signal bypassing a digital receiver would show more detail on high end monitors.

Mod that shit for rgb with a 9 pin din. Pce is too beautiful to waste it on rf.

I have a super grafx for that. my pc engine/suitcase is rca. I am finding the side by side sega cd, laseractive and master system are the biggest problem for shelving

I would place those extra long boys on the surface, not on the shelves

I need that for the virtual boy and statue shit

You need a glass tower case for your statues. Or to put them on top of your $12,000 monitor.

My mbuster is on the monitor. I think i am going to need three of these things. If nothing else taking pictures always shows me where i need to dust and vacuum.

you actually own a PCFX? System never appealed to me, couldn't find much of anything that caught my eye like the TG16's library does. Your dreamcast is missing its stand, by the way.

Gotta say tho, that monitor is pretty small. 14"? Jumping from 13" to 20" was amazing for me - I think that's something a lot of LCD people don't realize. 4:3 is a much larger screen space. My 21" 16:10 monitors pale in comparison to my 20" CRT which towers over them. 16:9 is even punier.

Fuck off to leftypol you massive faggot.

I have two i bought before anyone in the USA cared that they existed. I mainly bought it because i thought it would be fun to have at least one system where i own all the games for it. Still working on it but it is still possible. I regret not buying a sega mark III after seeing the prices on them now.

I have not found cammy since my move but sakura chun li and ibuki are on a nice shelf not crowded by transformers.

Wrong, that info came from MyLifeInGaming and they couldn't get their facts straight. They go out of production next year and are still sold for the regular price at official micomsoft retailers. A new model has never been announced with stockholders saying that this might be the last scaler of the same class that they'll make. If you think the ebay r prices are high now wait until theres no alternative, the regular price will be 4k instead of the 300 USD you can get them at now.

To elaborate the processor for the framemeister has gone pout of production but Micomsoft has enough to reliably ship until December. Anything after that would require a lost crate of em to be found which is unlikely.

are u retarded or fucking stupid

the alternative is the OSSC, which is better than the framemeister although it's not a total replacement.

LCDs only output at one resolution. Doing anything less kicks in the scaler and provides horrendous results. If you're going to call someone else stupid, at least know more than they do about the subject.

Only reason LCD won is because the gooks could chop up the failure 1080p panels and sell them as lower resolution monitors. LCDs and gooks brought monitor technology 15 years into the past. I had 1600x1200 CRT in the early 00s, then the next 10 years I spent on shitty LCDs because of college.

Backlight bleed is due to the edge lighting system on some of the LCD LED monitors.

Full array local dimming works better but isn't perfect.

OLED is pretty much perfect in the sense that it can self illuminate each pixel and also turn off individual pixels. However their brightness and life span and price suck ass.

As someone who works in the industry, I can make a guess that artificial self emitting screens are less than 10 years away.

If you have non organic self emitting screens, you fix the life span issue, also in theory the technology proposed can go 4x the peak brightness of an OLED. (or like 20x brighter than the peak brightness of a crt).

Higher dynamic range will result in superior highlight and shadow details, something most vidya players don't really think about.

why would you want to set your monitor to a lower resolution anyways?

because some content is made for certain resolutions specifically.

like what? besides, you can easily play those games in windowed

playing games windowed syncs them to windows' vertical sync instead, resulting in more lag. Plus full screen is nicer.

People keep throwing out CRTs at my dumpster. Most are shit brands, but there have been some gems. Not like I need any more, though, or have room for the things.

It actually fails in a few places where the framemeister excels but it has a few features I've been interested in but just not enough to buy it. It's a line doubler not a scaler so yes it isn't a replacement but a different product that has some of the same functions. The resolution switch lag is still there ti an extent but less so than the framemeister though and instead of one frame of lag the OSSC has none. Too bad the owner is a complete fucking jew and wants 50 extra bucks for audio over dvi before shipment.

I think there's been some revisions, I don't really keep track because scalers aren't for me, I prefer to use my monitors. I think one of them is called OSSC wolf or something? May be worth looking into - I just use retrorgb's roundup for news about this stuff, and he covers a broad range of subjects.

Yeah there are but the difference between the revisions are if its compatible with the audio over dvi expansion board or not so if you were an early buyer you're SoL and the new models with it integrated are more expensive than before. instead of mass producing OSSC models with the expansion already onboard they print expansion boards and charge you for installation. You can but one for 20 or so last I checked but I didn't feel like cutting traces and keeping it in place because I have enough DIY projects in the pipeline.

At least the OSSC is open source so I hope to see other the modifications and different versions that others will have in a years time. Currently although the plans and parts are out there only one guy produces them. You could buy the parts, get a board printed and put one together yourself but same problem for me as above.

How do CRT resellers win if I buy flat panels?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm really activates those almonds

16:9 and 21:9 are objectively better than 4:3 for video games.

not true, 4:3 gives no room for periphery and allows total focus thus a more clean playing field.

3:4 is also good.

16:9 is fucking stupid for video games. For a game where you have control of the camera you want pixels to cover the most sensitive areas of your eye as you can look around via the controls. That optimal area happens to be 4:3, that's why 4:3 became a thing. If you're watching a movie and can't change the camera position you need a wide display so you can see left and right. Most of the pixels you're rendering you barely even perceive. At 21:9 you get so little information out of 50% of the pixels that multiresolution shading shitting on them is imperceptible to you.

Peripheral vision is especially important in video games, faggot. You should also tell people to where scuba masks because it's more focused, the only important things are near the centre of your vision anyways.

Oh, I thought you were talking about CRTs until you said "OLED displays."

This makes no sense considering everything listed is a flat panel issue. Why are there actual lcd fanatics? I could see crt gaining a sort of following because it has a lot of positive unique things going for it, but lcd is shit in every way except space and power. Are you really that defensive over the display industry fucking you over?

People like you are the reason for locked 60 FOV in modern vidya.

4:3 usually targets 90 degrees horizontal fov. 16:9 shifted the focus to a vertically tied fov which is why so many modern games have that cramped zoomed in look so often.

4:3, 5:4 were better. 16:10 too.

What crt can do 144hz at 1080p?

Just use binoculars

Gdm fw900

I take back half of what I said. Here is a sneakpeak at the new OSSC taken from the mailing list. Just got the email an hour ago

I still want a framemeister but this is nice.

framemeister won't really be worth it in a few years.