One Week, One Vidya - /owov/

DINO CRISIS

The purpose of this thread is to have a new game to play roughly every week so that we can discover new stuff and talk about it.
This week we're going to try Dino Crisis.

Dino Crisis is a horror game by Capcom that was released in 1999. It was originally released for the PlayStation and later for the Sega Dreamcast and Windows. It was also produced and directed by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami.

The game centres around a special forces team who must find a way to survive in a secret government facility that is being infested by time-displaced dinosaurs. It features similar gameplay to the Resident Evil series.

PC version: theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/dino-crisis-pc/
PS1: romhustler.net/rom/psx/dino-crisis-u-slus-00922
Or look for one yourself, they're all over the net

[EXPLANATION IF NECESSARY]
If you opt for the PC version, you may need to download this utility: speedrun.com/dinocrisis/thread/hac0k/1#9gh0r
The game comes on a iso so you will need the appropriate image mounting software.
If you elect to emulate the PS1 version, it is recommended that you use ePSXe: epsxe.com/download.php

I've run both versions successfully with minor issues.

Trying new things comes with the risk the thing you're trying may not be very good.

Previous threads:
Valdis Story : Abyssal City - archive.is/wTk5B
The Suffering - archive.is/PPPOx
Outcast - archive.is/asoEK
Naval Ops: Warship Gunnner - text: ghostbin.com/paste/6ynmt text+pictures: go4up.com/dl/ffcf2664f70dd8/1_week__1_vidya_-_Thread_#3_Naval_Ops:_Warship_Gunnner.7z sha256sum: d11c876bed53d79624d65d7328365948c494aef9e19e5d98393d8a82c513166e
Elite Warriors Vietnam (one user's utterly failled attempt) - Text: ghostbin.com/paste/95yjf text+pictures: go4up.com/dl/7d6f6af11a5de0/Thread#4EliteWarriorVietnam.7z sha256sum: c9eece5e1d26bb8aa48f945233bc20b530177b9c10a61cea86e4b8ba5ea83ef5
Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (Thread revival which wasn't properly archived before it fell off the catalogue) - u.nya.is/fetldp.png
Ronin - Did anybody archive last week's thread before it fell off the catalogue?

Other urls found in this thread:

demul.emulation64.com
go4up.com/dl/7795556c8d5034
go4up.com/dl/7c96046cdc9c82
archive.is/GYWnd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The greatest crime of the 21st century is the lack of R34 of regina

Trap.

If you want to emulate the Dreamcast version, use Demul.

demul.emulation64.com

If you are on an AMD video card, enable the texture fix in the options. I reccomended playing with vsync enabled for the smoothest experience, without it thing tend to run a bit too fast and drops frames to try to slow down.

I never knew.
Is it better than the Dreamcast version?

Great choice OP

nice atmosphere & cool music.

nah. DC versions are usually the best when it comes to games from that period.

I'm having issues running it, my audio is all slowed down. I'm going to try this guide here: forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-amd-ati-gpu-performance-guide-feat-dolphin but have you ever had the same problem?

This is one of my most favorite vidya.

Recently played through this on Dreamcast. Really great marriage of Resident Evil and more action oriented gameplay. Good ideas and constant tension in the beginning. I will say the last part running around getting keycodes to activate the generator was a fucking chore and annoying as shit. Nothing beats that fucking final boss. (Fucking oceanic T-Rex chasing down a speedboat what the fuck)

I love how not a single memo you find mentions dinosaurs. One mentions "creatures", another mentions "monsters", NONE mention dinosaurs. It's like they found them more of a nuisance getting in the way of the real scientific experiments, and not even worth jotting down. Because of this, you go the whole game not knowing why there's fucking dinosaurs all over the place.

pc or ps1 (played with the psp)?

Personally, I would go with ps1 on psp.

The final part straight up tells you the 3rd energy generator somehow tore open a portal in time and reverted some sections of the facility back to its pre historic version, complete with flora and dinos. They do beat around the bush for a long time though. That explanation is also complete nonsense.

God the part after/just before finding the 3rd energy reactor is the hypest shit ever
>yfw powering it up

The audio slowdown in Demul is mainly a CPU speed issue, not GPU. In my experience. Works on my i7-2600k 99.8% of the time.

Sick.
Less sick but I'll take it.
I meant to, but I didn't really give a shit - and I was the OP of all people. It kept the thread alive for a week and that was about it due to the game's mediocrity. I'll record its existence in the pastebin, but nothing of value was lost. If you REALLY want, I can post the webms I made, but even they aren't that interesting.

Seriously, thanks for doing this. I wanted to play this and present the Dreamcast version since, from what I saw, it's the superior version, but RetroArch's default emulator wasn't worth anything and I was close to having an aneurysm. On that note, does anyone know how to use 7zip to stitch files together? I downloaded the Dreamcast .rar from romhustler and the .rar file contains 20 files within it.

I just played through this about 2 months ago for the first time. I was itching for a RE style game that I hadn't played before. The only complaint I have is that there aren't enough enemy types. Everything else was great. Level design is complex enough you have to think about where you are going without it being overwhelming, puzzles have a lot of variety to them, and the cheesy action movie plot that makes little sense kept me entertained. I really applaud the keycard overwrite puzzles. I had to think about how I'd go about getting an ID for the bodies I got fingerprints from, which is more involved problem solving than any recent games I've played. The game's a real gem that doesn't get enough recognition.

why isnt there a modern action horror game with dinosaurs that are vicious as fuck and will rip you apart if you fuck up, dinosaus and soldier of fortune tier gore go along so well

Great game from the time when Capcom had like elventy-million IPs and they were all good and utilised.

Also i always hear that dreamcast emulation is painful to set up. Should i stick with the pc/psone version, or is this one different?

From what I can gather around the web, you have to have a fairly performant rig, as well as preferbably not amd based, to emulate Dreamcasst without problems. I've got 10 year old amd hardware and I haven't gotten it to run without issue yet. I have got thenps1 and pc versions to run with very little effort and very minor issues.

I can't believe I didn't notice this thread. I sonetimes feel like the singular dino crisis fag in this board. Dino Crisis 2 when?

I sure hope you fags got the best ending. Faithful ending to the series never ever.

That exists.

two points: 1, you do not want another Dino Crisis in this day and age. 2, it was released seventeen years ago.

I meant a thread dedicated to Dino Crisis 2. It's my absolute favourite game.

who is this jizz juggler?

Sue Kalergis/Sue Lightning.

It's a he.

Its a trap

"yes"

did I say "she" you negroes

Seems like I'm seeing more and more of Dino Crisis lately, hopefully the devs will take notice.

I hope Kawaii_Girl will do something.

Here it is along with the thread before that.
Pitfall-TheLostExpedition - 12247013
go4up.com/dl/7795556c8d5034
sha256:5efd116f133c0470ffa6530b44f0943d8340c11ef85e252e1a4ed644d68df9b9
ghostbin.com/paste/twzyy
Ronin - 12308820
go4up.com/dl/7c96046cdc9c82
sha256:d53fefeae33ea2e089c6243e6d88f00e94cf75e296afad04ef3d8f6c3f018328
ghostbin.com/paste/nqd3m
Hopefully my next (next week if that's OK?) attempt will not be shuch a failure that it only attracts five posts.
It is simply just ensuring that all of them in the same directory/folder, then highlighting the first one (.e.g InsertTextHere.rar001). Finally hit extract and wait for the process to complete.

Probably the focus testers would die within 10s (more like 5s) and bitch really really loudly all over shitter/facefag (Yes NDA's, however my first point still stands).

This reminds me I still got the disk and my ps2 to play it on, might as well see if my old file still is on the ps1 memory card and see if I can't unlock the rest of the costumes. When I first played it I didn't know jack fuck what I was doing, and blew through my ammo like an idiot.

this year
twelve pages

Fuck me I can't unsee.

I don't know, but I don't trust Capcom to make an actually good conclusion/continuation to DC. In this case, nothing is better than something. Especially after the disaster that was DC3.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME

WHY CANT I HAVE FUN ANYMORE

Never been able to get this piece of shit running.

Like, at all.

It used to be one of my favorites too, but that was because I played it before the first game because I was young and it was what I could get.

After playing the first game it completely dethroned the second one. I played both of them again not long ago, in release order, and god, I became very bitter towards the second, because it was a completely different game than the first one, which I loved very much.

Maybe you just like horror games better, user. I was also a bit disappointment at how starkly different they were, but at the same time I absolutely adored the quick action-oriented arcade style gameplay on DC2. It was satisfying. Not discrediting DC1 of course, which was a slow crawl through atmospheric puzzle-oriented gameplay. Also DC2 has pic related.

I liked the action-oriented, more arcade style gameplay of the second when I was younger. Being able to earn "credits" and buying guns was a lot of fun back then. But when I replayed it recently it just felt shallow, and got boring. The first game felt much more elaborate and interesting.

I was also not a fan of the controls in DC2, given the gameplay. There wasn't a good and reliable way to fight many dinosaurs at the same time. It specially shows when you play on hard difficulty, since there are a lot of them, I think they never stop respawning, and they just don't give two shits about your bullets.

I believe the only reason it feels shallow is because DC2 didn't go full action, but rather tried to retain some of its predecessors' horror mechanics. There is a few puzzles, the few segments with the T-Rex, and a few spooky areas with spooky music. It didn't drop it completely, which it could have done. Personally I like it, since the general atmosphere/music/art(or graphics I guess) was fucking amazing. I do agree about the controls, even after playing it so many times they are still a bit clunky.

bump

I'd love to play the game for the first time, but I've already done that and got all the endings.

Which one of you cock goblins is making the next thread ?

I do as I readly have a hopefully way better game in mind than last time.

Tried to get into this game but it feels poorly designed, like the developers just didn't give a shit.

>way better game in mind than last time.
The last thread that I did (Elite Warriors Vietnam) only got five posts before it died, hopefully this next attempt will do better.

Good answer user :^)
What's the next game?

A magician doesn't reveal this tricks :^).

I didn't know about these threads until this one, but I want to try whatever comes next. Seems fun.

Poorly designed? Dude it's just resident evil with dinosaurs.

I archived the Ronin bread before it died
archive.is/GYWnd

Even in european cover art there was a mention: makers of resident evil.
I have to say. They kinda put their autism on overdrive when it comes to puzzles. I didn't mind. It was fun to make notes and put my brain to the limit. Also i liked the more improved inventory.

Farming these was great to get easy extinction points.