What is your favourite twist at the end of videogame?

What is your favourite twist at the end of videogame?

Mines not a huge right turn but its subtlety is why i love it.

I fucking loved it. It was pure Kojima bullshit but i love the way it does the credits.
and then you get the nod to it in MGSV ending after a long credits break with "2014: Big Boss dies" to remind you that if you stopped playing 4 when the credits began you would have never seen the actual ending to metal gear.

Not some shocking twist or narrative shift like shadow of the colossus or crackdown or something but i really like how it one two punches you with the credits first before the cutscene.

10/10 kino confrimed.

>>>Holla Forums

Daily reminder that kino is german for cancer.

Pretty much how I felt about it too. I don't think I'll ever play it again and see all the cutscenes from beginning to end though (or any other MGS for that matter), and that is one of this series' biggest sin; full of incredible and memorable moments but most of it is completely separated from gameplay.
On one hand, it's good because you can just skip everything if you want to, but on the other hand it doesn't feel homogeneous. On the flip side, the Naughty Dog route of characters slowly walking and talking being merged into the game is arguably even worse because it kills the player's own pacing.

The part where the fight with Liquid Ocelot starts and you see the life bars reminiscent of MGS1 hit me hard. That's how developers should do handle those moments.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is so conflicting to me. It has some great moments that are perfect send offs to the series but so much of it is absolutely retarded in gameplay and narrative. I can at least appreciate it as a giant fuck you to everyone who likes MGS too much. The game would've had a better ending in my eyes if Snake just shot himself.

German for cancer is "Krebs", not "Kino". But other than that yeah, people keep using the term for pretty much anything that could even remotely be considered enjoyable.

The biggest issue with playing the game again is Act 3, it is a pain in the ass every single playthrough.

You know thats just a greasy way to mask loading right? its not stylistic at all.

The originally intended ending for the game was Snake and Otacon being tried for treason, after which they are publically executed by firing squad

I heard about that one. That would've been good too.

I think Kojima really wanted to make it clear that it was going to be the last game for sure this time but some execs probably wanted a slightly less depressing ending.

That doesnt really gel with peace walker, because he was told 'the kids love monster hunter make a multi player psp metal gear' and there are a few moments in that more solid than events in the numbered games.

But weak bosses aside peace walker is a fucking fantastic handheld game regardless.

I seriously doubt that's the only reason. They have far too many moments like that and they're too damn long. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact it gets in the way of the overall pacing.
An even better example of this mindless filler are the ladder puzzles in The Last of Us, which are completely braindead. I would much rather these moments have meaningful interactions with the world and make the player actually think, than forcing us to do what is essentially busywork.

It is absolutely the only reason. Look at games like the last of us on PS3. Love or hate the game it looks detailed and has very large, very cluttered environments with no loading screens at all. Thats because the "naughty dog load trap" has been a long time recognised technique -even though i believe it was first designed by the gears of war team for the xbox 360- to slow the player to the slowest possible speed and distract them with a low quality sound clip of talking to allow the game to load more of the level.

Funny thing of course is MGS4 probably did this at times too with codecs since the games that do it frontload a huge loading/installing sequence to mask it more later. But a codec feels more like a cutscene whereas the forced slow walk feels restrictive and needlessly controlling to them.

The one where you have to kill your son or nuke Boston.

Todd pls.

My favorite part was going back to Shadow Moses and having a freaking Metal Gear battle with Liquid in the end of the mission.

That shit was so awesome. This is how you do fanservice right.

I hated the end for MGS 4. It was for nothing.

Solid snake's life was meaningless and then he dies. Also it makes it worthless to play TPP because you know that Solid snake just kills boss anyway.>>12357910

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The game is all about choice and how what paths you want to take through the game influence the outcome. In the end, your choices didn't matter at allME trilogy does this, too, to a much more aggravating effect

Matosis is shit (just as absolutely any youtube video game critic)

There is sadly very little Peace Walker stuff in youtube thats not "YO WASSUP YOOTOOB ITS YO BOY" wiggershit.

Right, but look at Half-Life (especially 2). Are those long conversations when you're locked inside a room for several minutes really necessary to load the next area?

Also, MGS4 still had pretty hefty install time and size, and there were traditional loading screens when moving between areas, but those were fairly short. So spreading that massive work load throughout the game just to show how tech-savvy your dev team doesn't seem like the only motivating factor here.
In fact, I seem to remember that Vanquish had some of this too, where in certain sections the character starts walking very slowly and the camera switches to first-person view and you have listen to some dialogue, but the major difference there is that those moments were few and far between and very short, whereas modern Naughty Dog games seem to revel in how disproportionate their ratio between exposition and action is.

I wonder if Kojima chose the same initials as the Trans Pacific Partnership on purpose

Its specifically the stuff where it slows your character down. There are two reasons slow movement is used in games design:

MGS4 still looks fucking good.

I guess the main character not being a robot after all was the biggest twist of them all as the game goes completely off the rail in the last 30 minutes.

I know i should seen this from a mile, but we saved his ass so many fucking time… Not the biggest wtf moment in my life, but put a smile on my face.

Great, now I have to get my PS3 back from my parents' place and replay my favorite Metal Gear. Had to get it for dat CFW so I can pirate P5 anyways.
The MGS4 twist was great, but I was still left wondering what happened to Plissken. Where was he, huh Kojimmy??

Wasn't he killed by Ocelot at the end of MGS2 ?

Pliskin died in the tanker

Kojima should be barred from writing games ever again after this bullshit

Honestly, he is too in love with theme he was trying to push in MGS2 with Raiden, and does it in the worst and most hamfisted manner. A better way would be upfront about Venom not being Big Boss, hammer it into the player that Venom's passing resemblance was being used to build up Big Boss' reputation, and at the end, after all your hard work, all credit goes to Big Boss.

Should've left Huey around a little longer for him to say something like "YOU'RE NOT EVEN THE REAL BOSS".

But we see him later.

Good twists :

Bad twists:

Bravely Seconds 'twist' was the fucking worst.

Good twist

Bad twist
>you are Rimmanah

Fuck man, that would have been perfect, you see Big Boss do something legitimately bad, you get a GOOD twist and the game makes a lot more sense. Something like would have worked well too, why was Kojima so obsessed with MGS2's Bait and Switch and yet completely miss the subtleties of the very twist he wrote

Alright, I never picked up Second because of how much Default's second half infuriated me. What did they do this time ?

CUT IMMEDIATELY TO VILLAIN SAYING HOW HIS ARTIFICIAL HAND IS PLAYING UP

I WONDER WHO VILLAIN IS, OH WHAT TWIST, WHA HAPPEN??

DANGANRONPA 2 SPOILERS
Everything about pic related

Xenoblade is in a spin off reality set between Xenosaga's opening cutscene and its second cut scene.

Bravely Second's twist was that Ringabel organized everything to get the Sword of the Brave Revolver-Ocelot style, not that the Kaiser is who he is.

When John was the demons.

All my dads are dead

In Grandia II, you find that God is dead.

>Why, the cat's, of course. Sissel's.

>Not that both God and Demons were ancient ayys.

Plot Twist: The Series.

It's bullshit, why would you force your paying customer to sit through some asshole-nobodies name to scroll through your screen for minutes before seeing a true ending of the story?

are you not familiar with gamings master ruseman?

Still one of my favorites
You've been playing the game believing that you're having flashbacks and may possibly be altering time
You're actually witnessing the possible future

The face on the upper left would make a great reaction image. Too bad the other elements are in the way.

Time Paradox doesn't even begin to describe that fucking series.

It was his idea to have Raiden take Snake's place but the nuance and subtleties of it was likely thanks to Fukushima.

big boss was in the game you dork, he just didn't have a voice so you're wondering "There's a voice actor for Big boss?" you fucking nigger, the game is still trash.

Instead of just saying Killer 7 or something I want to say I'd like to see my favorite twist show up in a videogame.

My favorite twist is from Koimonogatari.
The story follows an antagonist who is practically unlikable and tasked with a mission to take down another antagonist who is a lot more likable.
It is very rare that an antagonist makes me hate them as they are fictional, but this one is just all the right cords.
Then one conversation changes his entire character.

Damn I really liked kikey kaiki, it's a shame he doesn't get as much love as the other characters in monogatari. Sage for off topic.

Nigga, he was only ever credited for writing the codec calls. At most, you could say he was the one mainly responsible for that MGS2 call with the AI at the end that everyone around here loves so much.

And goddamn, isn't that image cherrypicked as hell. You could easily find stupid bullshit in any of the other games in the series. For example, some people say The Boss is a fucking Mary Sue and they wouldn't be entirely wrong, honestly. Also in MGS1, why didn't Liquid die of FOXDIE immediately after his first contact with Snake in the torture room, and instead happened way later in the game?

Plus, you have to take into account that Kojima never planned any sequels ever (each game individually already has a convoluted plot to begin with, no wonder the mess kept piling up after trying to expand on it) and he straight up didn't even want to make MGS4 and was depressed during that time.

Also,
This doesn't even have anything to do with the writers, what the hell? And the music in MGS4 and PW was great.

You should probably also take into account that image says MGS on the GBC only has 19 reviews.

hi dummy

Yeah don't concern yourself with it, I didn't make the image and I'm not agreeing with everything in it. I do think that the first three games have writing that is much more compelling than what followed however.

As far as him only writing the codec calls, that's a massive amount of the game really. Most of the character interaction you have is through the codec because you're meant to be sneaking around as opposed to sitting out in the open talking to people face to face. Also have you got a source on him doing just the codec calls? I'd like to have a read.

Fuck that twist.

Well, BB (actually Solidus), did make a bit of a gurgling sound when Solid first saw him and took a close look. Not a voice, but he did utter some kind of sound.

Maestro Kojima is genius.

MGS4 is a decent game up until Chapter 3 where the entire game runs off a cliff.

PMD in general has nice endings

kojima stole most of his best ideas from other movies

and he made the final MGS (V) that should have been amazing 8-9/10 just a slightly above average 6.5/10

You will never tear down Kojima no matter how hard you try.

It is difficult to bring down someone who's that low.

You are a bastard.

HAHAHAHA
And i thought i was the only one hating that shit.

Go have some dewritos™ to sober up geoff.

Reminder that if you removed Xana you're a goddamn poofter.

you learned nothing from MGS2.

I can't fully wrap my head around Arkham City's twist. Like, it's fairly straightforward in appearance, healthy Joker is just Clayface. However the more I think about it the more I'm persuaded something in the scheme doesn't make logical sense, but I can't pinpoint what. Why enact the switcheroo when you lost the cure ? Was it really necessary if anything went right ? Was it last minute improv ? It bugs me.

I always try not to be the shit spewing kind of user, but fucking kill yourself.

My favourite ending twist has to be when it ends where it began sort of like Pulp Fiction, although it's a video game, or E.Y.E
sadly I don't know of that many games that manages to do it well enough to blow your mind

Wasn't it possible to make Venom female?

No. Female character creation was half the reason people played MGO3.

OP isn't saying that MGS4 is better than SotC but rather that MGS4 had a better twist than SotC, which is true considering that SotC didn't have a fucking twist at all.

Christ OP. I like it though.

the twist in sotc is that you're actually the one at the advantage against the colossus.

What did he mean by this?

The twist is that all mgs are shit.

Shadow of the Colossus' ending wasn't a twist, it was what you were told was going to happen from the beginning. The details were never explicit but the MC knew the deal was
After the MC ascents to this the dark god adds something to the effect of

The biggest thing resembling a twist in that ending was that the dark god actually kept his promise after he was unsealed. He was powerful again and the MC was no longer in a position to enforce shit.