Horizons just got a new update, and I'm thinking about buying it

Horizons just got a new update, and I'm thinking about buying it.
I really like the base game, it's almost all I play lately, but I'm still not sure if it's worth getting this DLC.
Does it add a lot to the game? I know about planetary landings, reworked interiors and now the character customization, but is it enough to warrant a 16 euro purchase if money is tight?

What do the anons that play this say? Should I go for it or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/158444-The-Empire-Bias-Will-the-favoritism-towards-one-major-faction-ever-stop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump?

It's still the same old shit it was at launch with zero content.

Also apparently they upped the grind required to get anywhere again.

But I like the base game and its grind and the content it has.
Does that not count for something?

If you like the base game then buy the expansion. Exploring planets, engineering your ship modules, flying fighters is good. I stopped playing because they lean a bit heavily toward grind for my liking, but all the horizons stuff i've played has been decent.

Even the normalfags are pissed at Braben.

Pic related my dude.

Is that how the community feels?
I haven't really had any interaction with them

Oh sweet summer child.

I never interact with other people in game. Then again I do mostly type-6 space trucking so most interactions I get are failed interdictions from NPCs.

I've been at 100% with the federation for a while but I haven't gotten any promotion missions. I think the game is bugged on me.

You should write to the support, they're actually surprisingly competent

I don't know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Just send a ticket to support, or visit some federation stations regularly

that's what I've been doing for a while.

I haven't played in forever so I'm far out of touch with any changes they made. I was, however, a very active player for an appreciable time my brother was even an ambassador for Frontier, went to places like Pax, and I was a mod on the second most active place for the game. I was among a handful of players spearheading what to do and when and where for Alliance Powerplay, I tested out the gigantic ships before Frontier officially released them, etc. It was entertaining enough with someone to play with, but the issue was that everything takes forever. People complain about the grind, but what's worse is no grind at all. When you have the cash on hand to purchase and maximum outfit an Anaconda, and pay the maintenance on the damn thing, there's really nowhere up to go from there. You could really, really grind to get that giant Fed ship (the fuck was it called again?) but I flew one of those fucking brick shithouses, and they are not anywhere near worth the time, effort and money required to get them. Way too slow, way to vulnerable, pain in the dick to fly.

The only thing I truly enjoyed was planetary landing and exploration. The way they made things to scale was absolutely well done and it made it seem like you were actually closing in on a giant rock in space to land on the surface. That shit was great. Outside of that though, if is anything to go by, everything has gone to shit since then.

Frontier claims to listen to players, but it seems like a mixed bag at best when it comes to that. I can tell you fucking horror stories of how utterly abysmally they fucked up the math and mechanics behind the Powerplay system, horrible fucking coding that remained in place for months, but I'd rather forget that nightmare.

It's pretty much as you described. Once you have it all, there is FUCK ALL to do.

Eagle is my favorite ship. It is so fucking fun to fly. Unfortunately they decided to make the thing made out of goddamn paper, so at best you're a mosquito in space. They shine really well in CQC, or at least they did, who the fuck knows anymore.

I forget the name of the ship but the goddamn Imperial Cruiser that can outrun everything in the game is absolutely retarded. I think maybe the Viper outpaces it by a tiny amount, but if you're in a cruiser sized ship and I'm in a little zippy Eagle, you should not be able to catch up with me if I decide to GTFO. Keep in mind that the playerbase has been tossing around accusations of Braben not-so-secret bias towards the Empire ever since the dawn of the game.

Get a vulture. Same size but it can (at least it COULD, dunno if it got nerfed again) go toe to toe with an anadonda and win.

I'm still stuck with a Cobra Mk3 outfitted with the best shit and 10m credits
Where should I go next? I mostly bounty hunt

Who cares, every part of the galaxy is the same.

They made the promotion missions rare as fug. I went from outsider to baron in a streak of promotion missions, since I kept doing the planetary scan cheese for money, and had stacked up so much Imperial rep without a promotion mission.

You're thinking of the Imperial courier. Engineers make that thing absolutely fucking retarded. Fully combat fit, with a dirty drive tuning 2 or 3, it can hit 450m/s with a boost, and pretty much stay above 420m/s forever.

I've got a couple of those kicking around somewhere but as I've said I haven't played in ages. Probably over a year and a half or something, the last time I played was when Horizons was in (open? closed?) Beta, and you had to buy the expansion pre-release to test out the landing on planets. I don't know when that was, but it was a while back. The Vulture was godlike, especially with a buddy in another one. We'd charge into the deadliest conflict zones and absolutely fuck shit up, with Pythons and Condas spawning all around us, absolute mayhem.

To your point however, Vultures are certainly powerful as fuck, even despite lacking versatility, but they are not as fun to fly as an Eagle, which is my favorite ship because of how it handles. If I need to fight any ship in the game reliably, I'll use a Vulture. If I want to enjoy darting around like a dragonfly, I'll use an Eagle.

I believe your question is "what should I do." Bounty hunting is far more fun, but pays less over time than boring spacetrucking. Spacetrucking is dull as fuck, but if you know where to go and what to buy (there are websites with trackers of prices to plot best routes) you can rack up good cash quickly. One thing you can consider doing, if you have the time, is playing Power Play and space trucking at the same time. That's very grindy but you don't need to do it forever, just hit the (what was it, 5 million, 10 million? Maybe 50m) bracket, while simultaneously spacetrucking. Figuring that out takes more effort but any place where players coordinate what to do for PP will have that info for merit truckers.

What? There are classes now?

You should play no man's sky

No, you can give some random materials and looted parts to an NPC nigger to put some experimental slavshit in your ship to make it better. It's a whole RNG system with varying rolls, it's pretty annoying and dumb. You can have Imperial Eagles that go over 800m/s stripped down, and Anacondas with 50-ish ly jump ranges.

???

That's not what I meant. If you want a galaxy that looks different then you should play NMS.

Now I understand the complaints about RNG. Wonderful, just what the game needed. I had thought people were talking about mission offerings or something, but that's worse.

It's not about looks, it's about infrastructure and "culture". It's completely irrelevant where in the bubble you are, nothing changes mechanically.

Again, sounds like NMS is right up your alley
Which should really show how bad a game would be if you put focus on the things you want to see

I'm not following here.

Except for the part where everything is objectively better in fucking Empire space, which seriously makes me want to punch the devs. I mean how far can you really push it with the favoritism in a technically multiplayer game?

Not to get too offtopic here though, has anyone heard anything about Star Shitizen? I don't follow that noise, but I'm assuming it's still not done. Has Roberts killed himself yet? Have any of the backers? How many years does this make and how much more do they have to go? I heard there was a dogfighting module released some time ago but I've heard exactly jack shit radio silence since then.

Such as?

Now say you do "culture", alright?
How do you deliver that culture?

Of course you can't have cities in planets, that's too much work. The only way to do it would be having fully explorable space stations, in which you would place NPCs, that would need to have different dialogue from each other, which is impossible to do knowing the scope of the game.

And even if you did manage to do it, what would be the point of spending time working on this?

I completely understand what you want, my point is that there is no way to make it without spending thousands of hours and millions of dollars working on it. Which would be a huge waste of time for almost no reason.

Feel free to provide how you would do it, I personally can't really come up with anything.

I'm not going to type out a book so I found one for you instead.

forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/158444-The-Empire-Bias-Will-the-favoritism-towards-one-major-faction-ever-stop

That information is from 2015, but I'd bet serious money that very little of any of that has changed, and in all likelihood some things have been added to that list since I last touched the game. The most egregious example are just how ridiculously good Imperial ships are compared to how they should be, the Clipper when it was created was incredibly imbalanced for months on end, they could interdict and take down practically any ship, and any time things didn't go their way, they could escape from literally any ship/player in the game with no problems. A second thing was that a couple years back, there was some thing going on with trade or powerplay, I forget, in which Imperial players were making LUDICROUS amounts of money hand over fist for a fraction of the effort of anyone in non empire space, and that remained totally unchanged for a long time.

If you just decided to look around you'd easily be able to find more player complaints, far more dedicated and frustrated players than myself have taken the time to elucidate exactly what the fuck is wrong with the picture.

the look?

No, you don't. Space Legs is the last thing I want.
The bubble in ED only differs in which meaningless goods are legal/illegal. There are no pirate havens, no systems with unusually abundant resources (Pristine Metallic can be found anywhere), no staging systems where the police is on your ass much faster than usual. Powerplay is meaningless, the various system status' are almost unnoticable and if they are it's usually in a way that annoys the player. This is the sort of differentiation the game needs.

There's only two powers out of eleven(?) that even make a noticeable difference. That's Sirius, having everything discounted and better prices, and the one Fed guy that makes bounty vouchers more valuable. Fuck if I know anything the others do.

I don't really feel like that would make that much difference. I do agree powerplay needs to be expanded, but in completely dfferent ways.

Dunno man, it'll come eventually I guess.

It could, if done right, but that would mean giving more agency to the players and both FDev and the forumdads hate the idea.

Giving people more agency and making it all work with perfect balance is, honestly, not that easy.

I just don't think Frontier has the manpower to implement a fully player-driven universe.

A fully player driven universe would be a gamble in my book. ED has its flaws, but it's still better than the fucking cancerous spreadsheet simulator that is EVE. I do not want ED to go the way of EVE.

I have never played EVE, how does that work?

Well, if playing in a puddle of no content is fun to you, that's your thing.

I cannot think of a reason for you bothering to post this unless you're butthurt I just said EVE was shit. The fuck are you attempting to imply?

You said it yourself, it could make the game better if done right. It could also make it fucking worse, as you directly mentioned, hence why I said it's a GAMBLE, yet even though it's something you yourself said you still decide to vomit some snarky retort for some reason.

It doesn't. EVE is notorious for there being absolutely no rules enforced, which is a nice idea, but the way it gets executed it pretty horrible. If you think you've ever seen grind, you haven't seen shit until you've seen EVE, even though they claim there's zero grind because your skills increase over absolute time. The worst parts of EVE are 1) the controls, you control your ship like you would control a character in an isometric RPG, you click somewhere and your ship slowly makes its own way there, there's no direct control and it feels horrible like you're playing WoW in space, and 2) managing everything is a pain in the dick. It's called a spreadsheet simulator for a reason, and not in a good autistic "you need to efficiently manage all these things" way like SpaceChem or something. Look around for EVE vids that aren't combat and you'll see.

why would someone think this is a good idea

should i use mouse and keyboard? Ive never tried it before but all video of people using it looked awful

Mouse and keyboard is fine. I have used both that and a HOTAS. While a HOTAS feels more natural, the difference between those two things is like the difference between using a controller and using mouse+keyboard for an FPS. With mouse and keyboard, you can aim much more accurately, and because you're using smaller motions to control your ship, you have a faster reaction time and you are more precise. You have the mouse set up so that the farther away from the center dead zone your invisible cursor is, the faster your ship turns.

All you need to do is set up the keybind correctly. A and D to strafe side to side, Q and E to roll left and right, R and F to strafe up and down, and then all the rest to whatever you desire. 1-4 for your speeds, tilde for full stop, etc.

I played combat for a long time, and if I had to play competitively against someone else right now, I would use M+KB. You have better control, and you have far more keys and controls at your disposal than using a HOTAS, considering ED has half a gajillion keybinds.

thanks m8
i wanted to get into pvp anyway but havent gotten to the point financially yet where i felt it was a possibility

Shill thread

Good thing you didn't bump it then huh?

(15)
responds within 5 minutes of posting despite thread being inactive

I do it exclusively to trigger retards like you

Hahah.
So they are also starting with ye olde "re-launch with a new subtitle every now and then"

Pretty much, except they're more like early access expansion packs I guess
It's not.. great

It wouldn't even be hard to fix all the systems being the same shit, just allow for radical changes to their social/political structure
one system might be overrun with pirates, another system might be xenophobic and attack any outsiders that stay too close to the main station.
Maybe another system has been taken over by a weird cult and you hear people muttering prayers and scripture over open radio channels
hell, maybe 2 systems are at war with each other and when you are in one of them raiding parties from the other will appear and harass traders
any of that is more interesting than the current system where basically all stars feel like the same shit just with different layouts for the shops

oh sure, him responding within 5 minutes of you posting is absolute stupidity, but you saging a thread to call it a shill thread 5 hours after there's been any activity totally isn't horrendously retarded at all! There certainly aren't multiple levels of redundant hypocritical idiocy at work here, no sir

That describes me. I have real hobbies and only play video games a few hours each month. Elite seems like there's always something new and exciting going on to me.

Go away Pecisk. ED the same as SC, as scam.

I dunno. I paid $30 for it and seem to have gotten some decent fun. I only play solo "offline" (Yes I know it's always on). Fuck MMOs.

Its fucking endless grind with merits that dissolve after allotted time.
Pointless exploration, and Braben fuckhead tried to release his DLC as EA, then took it down removing all the negative reviews to relaunch as single.

Fucking cuck

"Am I fitting in yet?"

Oh the newfag angle, same shill new tricks.

nearly three years and I still agree with that guy

Yup. Got dirty drives 3 on mine and it boosts to about 484. Fucked up entering orbital cruise and had to fly 60km. Took like a minute lol!

I wonder if he is still sperging somewhere.

This is a game that has less content and variety than either of the two previous Frontier (Elite was a tiny ass thing originally coded by puncturing clay tablets with a bone so disregarding that) games. One of which fit onto a single floppy disk. Make of that what you will.

If the original games ran at a decent framerate and didn't require me to own a flight stick and play them through Dosbox I'd be all over them.
Unfortunately that is not the case

You don't need a flight stick, and framerate can be alleviated with grafix mods. Dosbox… yeah.

You'd think so wouldn't you? apparently not, haven't been able to find anything about it

Also you do need a flightstick, the keyboard controls are awful.

Look up Oolite, GLFrontier, and FFED3D for Elite 1, 2, and 3 respectively. They're sourceports. Oolite still has the garbage keyboard controls but you can set up a gamepad for it if you have one. The other two work just fine with mouse steering, just click and drag, right click to shoot. don't shoot near a station or the space cops will kill you You should use the autopilot for everything out of combat anyway.