Breath of the Wild on Switch sells more than the Switch itself

How does this even happen, Breath of the Wild on Switch sold 925,000 units in the US while the Switch itself sold only 906,000 units in the US, right now there are 19,000 people who's enjoyment of Breath of the Wild consists of them looking at the copy hoping they manage to get a Switch someday.

PR STATEMENT BELOW

REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Nintendo Switch, the new home gaming system that people can also take on the go, has sold faster in its launch month than any other video game system in Nintendo history. The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. That makes Nintendo Switch one of the fastest-selling video game systems of all time. Notably, this sales surge was accomplished in a nontraditional month for a console launch.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console. That means that Nintendo sold more of this game for Nintendo Switch than it sold Nintendo Switch systems, for an attach rate of more than 100 percent. This may be attributed to people who purchased both a limited edition of the game to collect and a second version to play.

This was all enough to make The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild the fastest-selling Nintendo launch game of all time, as well as the fastest-selling game ever in The Legend of Zelda series.

“Nintendo always strives to offer consumers something fun, new and different,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “With its various play modes and the innovative features of the Joy-Con controllers, Nintendo Switch provides unique experiences that people can take with them anywhere and share with anyone.”

While Nintendo Switch sales are off to a record-breaking start, shipments have not yet been able to keep up with such high demand. Nintendo is working to make sure everyone who wants a system is able to buy one, and more systems are continually being shipped. In just over two weeks, the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game will launch for Nintendo Switch on April 28 with more content than any other Mario Kart game in series history, including 48 racing tracks, new Battle modes, new characters and other additions. Competition on Nintendo Switch gets even hotter heading into summer, with the release of the ARMS game on June 16 and the Splatoon 2 game on July 21.

A full accounting of worldwide Nintendo Switch sales, as well as other financial information, will be provided on April 27, when Nintendo issues its fiscal-year earnings release. For more information, keep an eye on Nintendo’s investor relations page at nintendo.co.jp/ir/en.

*Data regarding physical sales of games are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.

many games were faulty at release, and instead of getting a free replacement, fanboys and parents just bought more copies.

There has to be a typo somewhere, I refuse to believe that neckbeards would-

Oh.

You can literally return the broken game for a replacement.

And instead people just went to the store and bought more copies, a few of the broken switch videos had people with bags of brand new games to test.

You can return it to the store you purchased it from for a replacement.

The actual post explains it anyway suspecting people purchased both a special edition release and a regular release, probably because they think that the limited special edition will increase in value if kept in mint condition, a far more likely probability.

Or maybe because there were less Switchs available than BOTW copies?

This. I bought BOTW Switch but didn't get a Switch. I got the game about six inches away from me.

Could you not find a Switch or did you just rationalize that the game won't come down in price by the time you actually want to buy a Switch?

replied to wrong person.

A-are you going to kiss it?

Oh boy, here we go

[CITATION NEEDED]
How can a game be fault on release and another off the shelf copy working?
Are you implying game stores were selling literally broken cartridges or something?

The answer is right here OP
Nice namefagging btw

Does this include the wii U release?

The PR release does but that's an additional 460,000 units, on top of the 925,000 Units for the Switch, this is also only the US numbers.

Yes.
I'm confused. Are you implying that the Switch doesn't use cartridges, or are you trying to imply you require an ambulance sent to your house to treat that nasty bump on your head?

Because the Switch is selling out. People stack on games while still waiting for their system to arrive. It's normal.

Now that the OP's shitty thread is solved, let's rework this as a /namefagv/ thread. Put on a name and discuss vidya, and ignore everything ece3d9 posts!

Just finished Trails of Cold Steel. Not my thing at all, but god DAMN does Sara make my dick diamonds. Besides Persona 5, what other games let me frost some Christmas cake?

No it's not. Do people actually do this?

Hey, Hey, I considered the two probabilites and personally considered it a combination of the two, but I mostly thought it was funny that the game has an attach rate of greater than 100%, has this ever happened before.

Happening right now.

Anyone else feeling like gaming as a hobby is dying due to the sheer stupidity of people that would do this?

i dindu nuffins i'm a good boy, i buy limited editions months after they've been released so they're dirt cheap
I seriously have a nearby store full of Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs 1 limited editions. Think I can make some good money selling them?

This is legitimately more autistic than the preorder meme. BoTW isn't even that good to begin with, I found it to be even more boring than Fallout 4 and Bitcher. Wow, I feel sorry for them.

I don't even feel like gaming as a hobby is dying.

Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Isn't it because of scalpers?

What the fuck

Gaming isn't dying though.

This discussion was already had, there are no numbers that show that Scalpers make a large enough contribution to be statistically relevant.

There are a lot of AAA games that are worse than FO4. I only disliked FO4 for the lack of good writing, graphics, optimization, and real depth, but somehow it's still a lot of fun. Just my idiosyncrasy though, I do love open world sandbox games more than anything, you don't have to agree with me.

You know very well that scalpers are the reason for this. Every GameStop branch has a famous scalper or two which the management endorse with commission.

Citation needed

I wouldn't consider Nintendo titles to be AAA. They're AA or somewhere in between, consistently.
Hell, I wouldn't name something as big as Pokemon as a AAA game.

Unfortunately, the industry is fucked and now there's only indie and AAA, with budgets being huge or tiny, no middle ground.

Wasn't Nier Automata AA? I think it's the western market that's devoid of AA games.

3th world user here. It is very simple to answer that: Countries that dont have nintendo support normally buy games and consoles from US market.

The problem is: normally is easier to buy games than consoles, mostly because it can enter illegaly passing through metal detectors etc..

Ask the people that bought limited editions of comic books in the 90's. I just don't see modern Ubisoft titles ever becoming collectible, or enjoyable for that matter.

Seems like it should, or at least some minor contraction for the AAA industry.
I was hoping Nintendo would get hurt hard with the Switch, get them back into taking greater risks and innovating.
So far though it seems like they are being rewarded for offering less in terms of titles than any previous console they've released.

All of the major companies have been doing that, releasing a remaster instead of a new title or sequel and somehow, someway people keep buying it.

It's the consumers fault for supporting this I know, but can't help but feel down over the sheer gullibility and stupidity of normalfags.

BoTW's development budget is, at the very least, twice of Fallout 4's development budget.

For today's standard, Bethesda GS' games are technically AA despite of how big Zenimax is.

Are you new to the business? Stop being that guy and get a grip with reality, nerd.

Was Fallout 4's budget 30-40 million?

I'd say nice try but you didn't even make an argument, you made a claim and then expected everyone to take your baseless claim at face value. Are you a Feminist?

Maybe a newfag like you but I'm pretty sure the majority knows already. Whatever, it's not like it's illegal so it will keep on running rampant thanks to dorks like you.

This is the result of people rebuying their games after participating in a two-day meme

Approximately, based on Skyrim's development and marketing combined budget of 85 million, and nuff said Skyrim is still Bethesda's most expensive game. Marketing for these games sometimes costs more than the game itself.

Stefan Molyneux would have an anuerism.

I'm surprised they could make it as cheap as that, you'd think Fallout 4 would be more expensive than Skyrim, with the move to PBR, and the increased budget for the games VA.

There's a reason why Zenimax never announced the budget of Bethesda's games. They're cheaply developed games on rehashed engine.

How can I argue with that.

I thought it was because the company was run from top to bottom by kikes

Given how many normalfags fell for the Wildlands meme, I have to wonder. Maybe not The Walking Dead's first issue levels of valuable, but I think I could get a decent nest egg. Still, I'm gonna research this some more to be safe. Second opinions are appreciated though, thanks.

No this is only a joke for this thread, I was expecting that guy who claims everyone to be a shill would jump in and call me a shill, but they never showed.

Isn't the Switch region-free? With all the artificial scarcity some people must have imported.

i'm suprised they didn't do hollywood accounting to multiply their budgets using internal positions.
works for activision.

You do know BotW is a Wii U game right? The switch version is just a hastily made port for the nogames box.

Did everyone forget that scalpers exist? They're eating through anything Nintendo related now.

This is not the route I want Nintendo to fucking take, god damn it.
I don't want them to see the normalfags eating this shit up and say, "Oh! They want more games that are EXACTLY like this! Yes". Then proceed to churn out more rehashes like BOTW. That game isn't even original in itself to people who play games out of the Nintendo ballpit.

It's going to happen, they're going to do it. Screencap this and wait 5 years.

OP's as retarded as the people who buy games as "collectibles."

wow we sure do have a lot of scalpers in the industry.

Oh fuck off.

Just let them rattle their cages.

Of course they're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make will serve as a warning to the rest.

[citation needed]

People who want to support good games by buying them while boycotting shitty hardware? You do know that CEMU is a thing, right?

Maybe their fucking numbers are simply wrong.

Question: How is Schick Hydro man "low" while Pepsi man is given meme status?

Even though many are less naive about being fed marketing now, still Pepsi man is somehow acceptable to the same crowd who would shit on the same concept.

Schick Hydro man is a force marketing meme with a game quickly churned out to promote a product = BAD
Pepsi man is a force marketing meme with a game quickly churned out to promote a product = GOOD also MUH NOSTALGIA

It's the same fucking thing. Doesn't anyone else notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Or you know, australians and europeans importing it because it'd be cheaper.

The whole meme around Geoff is his shamelessness when it comes to product promotion, and Hydrobot is the epitome of this. Pepsiman was just an absurd idea to begin with, but he ended up with a good video game. There also is some nostalgia about him.

Naw don't worry I agree also.Nostalgia plays a factor in this

No,Its not even that good

CEMU is a buggy and half-finished thing that still needs a way to go before most games can run well while still having sound, yes. You're probably a complete dope if you buy the Switch version, complain about shit hardware and then emulate the Wii U version though.

I'm more inclined to believe those are units sold to stores, not individuals. It's far more difficult to actually track physical sales to customers from each individual outlet.

Unless we're actually going to believe Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies within 4 fucking days.

You don't understand their mindset.
It's just morons thinking everything is going to spike in value if it's limited enough and they wait a while

With the Switch though its annoying, all I wanted them to do was a console with PS4 specs and a controller with no pointless gimmicks. Instead we have a home console as powerful as a cellphone with a neat ability to take it on the go.

It's unlike any other zelda because it takes away most of the elements that zelda had.

Newfag, get out. REEEEEEE!!!

Undocked is roughly as powerful as the Wii U, if I'm remembering right. Despite mediocre battery life and aftermarket chipsets that's not too shabby in the grand scheme of things. Wanting a PS4 or higher power console from Nintendo is flat-out foolishness in this day and age though, their focus hasn't been on raw power for more than a decade by this point.

Pepsi Man is both intentionally over the top stupid and also played completely ironically, while successfully achieving humor. Schick Hydrobot or whatever is a weaker attempt at the same thing, but it's more forced and much less amusing, like a ten year old saying "haha look how silly i am but no seriously buy my shit, btw I'm funny."

You can be totally dismissive of that answer, but it's the truth. Take it or leave it, I don't make the rules, that's your answer.

That's her left arm, faget

Illiterates get out.

I'm glad Nintendo doesn't cater to people like you, I like the Switch being a portable/home console hybrid since it completely rounds out my gaming experience along side my PC.

They've already said they plan to continue to make "open air" Zelda games. Now before you start to freak out, I don't think that really means that the next games will be exactly like BotW. and carry the same issues.

Nintendo likes to focus on a central idea/feature for each Zelda. And they don't like to use the same "gimmick" twice in a row. So on that alone I imagine the next game will have many of the things BotW lacked. Just with being able to choose where you want to go.

It seems like I JUST bought the WiiU, and now they come out with a new, expensive console to make everything WiiU obsolete.
I guess I'll just have to be late to the party as usual and just wait a couple years 'till the price goes down. Too bad Nintenjews are getting better and better at preventing emulation.

no user
stop being in denial that hipsters just want "nerd cred"

Its Zelda with open world concepts that have been used decades before.

BOTW is fucking garbage anyway.

Zelda 1 is a very open ended sandbox game. BoTW is just Zelda 1 done in 3D with some elements from Far Cry 3 and Skyrim.

Critical acclaim and commercial success, good job Nintendo.

One of my friends have bought almost every Amiibo, but he never bought a Wii U.
He just keeps them in their box on a shelf.

I spent $150 on a Day 1 Limited edition of Xenoverse 2 because of the kickass Goku figure it came with. I've played the actual game maybe 5 times since it came out last year.

Not even true. Fuck off

Hmmm, I hope you're not underestimating the problem. Treehouse may not go as quietly as you think, intelligence indicates they are behind the problems with the localizations.

I'm talking about how it borrows heavily from other games, you braindead fucking cunt. Learn to read.

Of course you'd a pseudo-philosopher.
>>>/reddit/ or just right out kill yourself, we don't need any of your vermin wasting precious oxygen molecules.

Be right. Just be right. I don't care, I want you to be right.
BOTW is the "Pokemon X/Y" of this generation.

literally because one is Japanese.