RTS Thread - Space Elf Edition

Try to remember any memorable RTS games that came out in the last two years.
Okay now that we've all failed to do that what are you playing right now anons? Anything you care to give your best attempts at shilling? Heard there was a lot of 40k fags hyped for some sort of MOBA coming out in two weeks :^)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/601540/
moddb.com/mods/tyranid-mod/downloads/tyranid-mod-v05b2-for-soulstorm
moddb.com/downloads/freeui-085-for-dow-soulstorm
moddb.com/mods/ultimate-apocalypse-mod/downloads/ua-thb-v1885-full
mediafire.com/file/ecrd19idx79ikw9/CFW.rar
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well, gekokujo for M& got a new submod the other day.

Well, any anons becoming a Jewish Shekellord in Offworld Trading Company?

Watersport with the xeno scums is pure heresy.

It's such a shame that image set was ruined.

None, plenty of RTT though
Someone bomb Australia already, holy fuck.

Grey Goo? I thought it was pretty good but man why is the genre so dead?

I think we just peaked, the best has been done ages ago, it's all downhill from there.

consoles

ASSFAGGOTS and console focus in 7th Gen.

Creating a truly good, deep, and lasting RTS is one of the hardest things to do in the field of game design, and designers are undervalued in the industry these days because corporate execs would rather follow established formulas than take a chance on breaking new ground. The only creative things that tend to come out anymore are done by indie studios and they often don't have the resources to provide a quality experience on all fronts including graphics, story, sound design and so on.

There is definitely design space right now for a new breed of RTS to eat into the success of the overdone MOBA market but no one is trying it.

Its called Dawn of War 3 user, and its shit.

No, that's not what I'm talking about. You're correct, DoW3 is shit. There's a much better way to hybridize the genres that absolutely no one has tried because they're too busy sucking the cock of established MOBA formulas and can't/won't break it down into lower level design abstractions.

Dawn of War 3 could have been that if the stylization, the animations and the RTS mechanics weren't absolute MOBA tier garbage.

All they needed to do was to give the OG Dawm of War a facelift with some bigger better designed maps and add some MOBA power like abilities to the Heroes while keeping of slightly upgrading the RTS mechanics.

Maybe add some Hero based gamemodes to attract the ASSFAGGOTS crowd.

Instead we got this switch and bait piece of shit that shits on everyone equally.

Honestly of the problems with DoW3 I think their implementation of MOBA-like mechanics was among the least crippling.

Just about everything about it is bad, from a visual standpoint, to a serious miss in terms of capturing the setting or immersion, it's a depressing trainwreck on a lot of fronts. But, somehow underneath it you can almost feel this nascent embryo of a really good, playable game and that just makes it even more frustrating.

Literally the only RTS that appeals to me is WC3 since theres a ton of micro'ing spells and playing guessing games with what build the other guy is going for. Too bad it's completely infested with map hackers and if blizzard ever made a WC4 they'd surely fuck it up.

The closest RTS to a moba is wc3 and even then it's not the RTS aspect of it.

What the fuck do you call C&C4 then?

Riddle me this, Holla Forums:

What is better, to have an RTS with an assload of factions to choose from that really aren't all that different from each other aside from a few unique units and economic advantages (like Age of Empires) or to have an RTS with a handful of factions that all play dramatically different from each other (like Starcraft).

Personally I prefer the AoE style. It's easier to balance the game overall and I find it annoying to constantly see other players playing the same faction due to limited choices.

Extreme asymmetry in RTS when done right is what makes the game interesting.

Notice how much more commercially successful the StarCraft model is than its competitors?

But user, StarCraft died ages ago. Worst Korea doesn't count.

asymmetry or bust

RTS as a whole died ages ago, but StarCraft is the least dead in the genre.

I dunno. It just feels to repetitive to me. Instead of "oh wow I'm up against ABCXYZ factions in this match, I wonder how this will play out" instead you just get "oh look it's XXXXYZ again."

tib wars KW is better example of why lots of factions with slight changes doesn't really hold up

Comes down to execution of balance and design. If the game is done well, each faction will have multitudes of viable strategies to employ, and a proper map pool should encourage diverse builds and strats as well, so you don't end up with a stale metagame.

Using less asymmetry doesn't fix this problem, it actually makes it worse, because then you're effectively up against only the same faction every fucking game forever except for minor differences that may not even be impactful.

I agree there should be plenty of static maps for competition to cycle through (and hopefully not collectively veto until they are playing the same 3 over and over), but I'm also quite fond of randomly generated maps. I just like being surprised when I enter a match, by the terrain and by the opponent faction choices.

In general I just don't really focus on esports elements in RTS games, I think they tend to hurt more than they help. An RTS should be fun with friends and random idiots at LANs.

Starcraft niggers need to fucking leave
Red Alert 2 and Generals are superior in every way and form.
Fuck the gooks and fuck Blizzard

Now now user, we're all civil folk in this here thread. Come tell us exactly what RA2/Generals does right and why it should be the model for new RTS games instead of Starcraft.

red alert 2 is indeed superior, generals however is a lite star craft 2 tbh

You seem triggered, user.

I didn't say I thought StarCraft was the best game, I just stated facts. It is, factually, the most commercially successful, and least dead RTS. There are reasons for this.

Starcraft 2 is shit and Generals was released 2003.

FUCK THE GOOKS

it's also made by EA and not west wood

EA LA was still Westwood at that point
After that they fucked off

no, they lost everyone who stayed after tib sun that made it westwood half way into red alert 2, this is why both of those games are incomplete

Fuck it, theu managed to make a great fucking game and thats what matters.

A still born game in an attempt to milk a franchise of a dead genre.

the b team only managed to make a decent game because EA at the time had more things going for it to not worry about some RTS pc title

This is truly the age of mediocrity.

There is a possibility they will fix Steel division (Eugen has made big gameplay change in the past, sometimes even after release…) or that the solo will be nice (original wargame solo is a lot of fun, the original multi not so much).
It's a RTT though.

An abberation that originally was supposed to be a F2P multiplayer-only title for the Asian markets because EA wanted a slice of the pie before Blizzard brought out Starcraft 2, but then EA, being he incompetent fucks they are, decided to slap a singleplayer campaign onto it at the last possible so they could sell it as a full AAA title. All while still forcing the release to be March 2010 while SC II came out in July.

It never ceases to baffle me how retarded these people are.

I've been playing a bit of DoW Soulstorm with Eldar since I got tired of IG.
I also remember some huge mod being mentioned a few times for it, but I can't remember the name.
Does anyone know it?

Ultimate Apocalypse? Really should re-install that one of these days.

That looks like it.
I'll check it out.
Thanks.

ive just let rts go at this point. but if i were to pick one up, id go through the total annihilation campaign again.

He's obviously dousing that bitch in promethium in preparation for a comfy bonfire. You sick degenerate.

I only do pro hillary sonic fanfiction reddit discords.

I've been meaning to try Ashes of the Singularity, know whether it's any good?

I never got the mod work, made me sad…

i played it and it kind of bored me. its got a very 'tug of war' or trench warfare style of gameplay. horde vs horde. your numbers vs their numbers with some rock paper scissors thrown in with not a whole lot of variation or "unorthodox" strategy involved.
did you enjoy the toybox wars maps in warcraft 3? or maybe you just like the theme of it, where gigantic hovership battalions shoot the fuck out of eachother? you might enjoy ashes.

of course, its entirely possible that im full of bullshit and didnt give the game a fair chance. for all i know as the game escalates it becomes something completely different.

now that i think of it though, the way im describing it reminds me of what i think of the 4x rts games like sin of a solar empire, which im also not super fond of. i guess its kind of like those but streamlined perhaps? thats usually a dirty word, isnt it?

What kills me most about Starcraft is the lame mirrored maps. It makes every single solitary match feel exactly the same because no matter what every single player starts with exactly the same amount of resources and platforms and ramps and FUCKING EVERYTHING IS THE SAME.

That's what AoE2 did so well, randomly generated maps. You could play Black Forest a dozen times and every time the flow of gameplay could go differently because the map wasn't the same fucking static mirrored piece of shit. You had to think dynamically and be on your toes and scout to find terrain advantages and weaknesses that you could use, instead of just having the static mirrored map memorized and knowing ahead of time where every little thing is.

All I enjoyed in SotS was seeing the fighters swarm around, and Homeworld or EaW catered to that so much better. I do like my meatgrinders. is it even remotely like SupCom?

I know this is rampant in starcraft 2, But there were definitely maps that didnt have mirrored starts
Its just that the mirrored ones were more popular out of fairness

Its a shame not many games do this anymore
Can't even remember the last one, AoE3 probably

one of the things that kept me playing age of empires 3 as long as i did was the huge variety of variations of random map and changing my deck to adapt to what i might expect on a given map type.

some maps might have a fuckton of things to hunt or little gold and you could specialize in lightning fast harvesting of hunted animals, or go for super cheap plantations (a gold mill that usually takes an ungodly amount of wood, if you havent played 3)

It's rampant in every Blizzard RTS, and it's gotten even worse now that things like DOTA have taken over the world. It's insipid – it's not just one game with the same set of maps. It's one map. ALL THE GAMES have the same one map. Every knockoff DOTA clone has the same fucking one map and the Chinks absolutely eat it all up.

thats absolutely true, taking a game more seriously generally leads to homogenization like this, for better or worse.
even disregarding the competitive spirit people tend to like maps with choke points more because out mobilizing people or their defenses is considered 'the gay'

800 wood isnt an ungodly amount user
Still I loved the decks, probably something that shouldn't have been tried in an aoe game, but it still (mostly) worked out
The real problem with the game was the unbalanced expansion pack teams
For the natives, the aztecs get quality infantry and good walls, something the other teams sadly lack, which you might think make them worthless, But the shitty Horse people can demolish walls in a couple seconds and the Iroquois get cannons (subpar ones compared to europeans) and a cheap single pop rage infantry unit with around a 1000 Hp
The Asian teams were even worse, Japanese units were basically superior to any other unit, India had elephants and Chinese were the most OP team in the game
Chinese might come across as being horrible, having army groups being built instead of individual units, But god damn those walls have absurd Hp and their units are absurdly cost efficient
Those Ch-ko-dos or whatever the fuck they're called are cheap as shit and have around 50 ranged damage

But that Map is practically what DOTA/MOBA/ASSFAGGOTS genre is all about, you know it was all based off a custom starcraft map right? Its still doesnt make the genre any less shit though
I miss the hero arenas in Warcraft 3

Supcom FAF, AKA Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Forever. RTS lives on in Supcom FAF.

But i prefer FA over FAF

u bloody fokin' WOT m8

Come on user
There are definitely differences and some people prefer the original unbalanced version

FAF devs shat all over the Cybran, I can see why people may prefer FA.

Don't Cybran have the best anti-air?

I'm not even a cybran player and even i know they didnt deserve to be shit on so hard because they were already useless
All enemies of the princess will be destroyed!

I don't remember who had the "best" AA because every faction worth shit got T3 homing SAMs. Ayy Lmaos got non-homing T3 Worthless-Pieces-Of-Shit.

Their mentality was that they should be a "Rushing" faction or early game, but gave them absolutely fuck all in terms of ability to do that. Hence the cancer that is "Balance" mods.

Mostly depends on whether they have as omni-sensor nearby or not
Otherwise Restorers are technically best anti-air air in the end game

And then they tried to balance that with that shitty experimental bomber that was almost an end gamer all in itself which is probably why most people don't like seraphim

Really makes me wish they would just go back to stock FA balance. Cybran really need their teeth back.

Guess my other question is, what context is Cybran bad? I've mostly just watched team games, and Cybran seems to play a relatively important role there, at least in the late game.

But obviously 4v4 team games aren't fully representative of factions.

No real ability to bite late game. The only thing useful they bring to the table is their stealth which is nice for hiding other experimentals but in a 1vs1 scenario? Unless they win early they are at a tremendous disadvantage late game cause frankly they have no real game ender unit, Scathis was until it was nerfed the wrong way.

I dont think that was their intended Idea, but it just so happened that the cybrans biggest strength over the other teams really shines before tech 3 when omni-sensors can be put out easily
Still they do have plenty of good tech 3 units, megaliths and loyalists for one

They're generally weaker than the other teams in one way or another, never having an advantage except in stealth or naval, One which becomes almost worthless in tier 3 and the other being a rarity due to air being more useful than sea most of the time
Still if you are having problems attacking an enemy base heavily fortified by SAMS, the megalith can be a life saver if it attacks from the sea
They also have a few gimmick units like spider bombs and the loyalist self billy

The only problem with Megaliths honestly is their cost, they are just not that cost effective.
That is funny as shit when that happens.

Overall I'd say Cybran are quite adaptable but need a little more bang for their buck.

My biggest complaint with Cybrans is the severe lack of Dostya related lewds but other than that they play like NOD in the sense that you can push anyone's shit in provided you're adaptive enough.

Even then the scathis isnt all its cracked up to be, It was somewhat possible to resist if you were shielded heavily enough, or at least until you blew up their scathis with a large bombing run
The UEFs pinpoint commander sniper on the other hand was the bastion of game enders, even more than the paragon or the Seraphim nuke launcher

I wish there was a mode that disabled game enders until a certain time has passed
Sort of like sudden death for worms, except this time with artillery and nuclear explosions

If I remember correctly didn't someone once make that an option?

Is it in FAF?
Or maybe a mod?

Lack of SC lewds all round is a disgrace.

I have no idea, think it was a mini mod that added certain game options. Like after a certain amount of time had passed you'd gain access to Tech 2 units, then Tech 3 and so on.

3 fractions focused on different things like in RA:YR or mental omega is the best possible system

How about an assload of factions, all dramatically different from each other ad focusing on different resource
Fuck fey and their shitty crystal lizards
DD was best team

and focusing on different resources
My keyboard is fucking up again this is what i get for wireless

Imbalanced and horribly unpolished but god damn fun just for sheer quantity. The campaign was also great

To change thread direction a little, has there ever been a decent and balanced RTS game where you can design your own units? The only ones I can think of are WZ2100 and Earth series

Depends how far back we're talking and whether RTT hybrids are acceptable.

Couple of days ago the guys over at the radcorps thread pitched me an idea. Since their game nights are restricted to games that support 16+ players at a time, and RTS/RTT games are mostly 8-12 players per match, whatcha fags thing about doing an RTS game night in form of an FFA tourney?

Sword of the Stars is a total war type of deal but it has RTS combat with customizable ships.

I'd be interested, depending on the game, but how does a FFA tourney work?

FFA is large games by elimination instead of 1v1 or team vs team.

Basically everyone enters the arena and wrestle to show who's boss of the map.

Jesus man, reminds me of one of my friend's games.

Sounds hella fun. Make it happen guy. I'd recommend making a thread closer to the date though.

They can be, the winner usually is the person who knows when and how to commit their forces, which means you have to watch several fronts at once than just the one. Used to do these sorts of matches on R.U.S.E. all the time and they were pretty fun and usually kept you on your toes

If you want to complain about something, complain about the games being "competitive e-sports."
Mirrored maps merely reflect the state of the game and the people who play it.

Guys, I need some new RTS games. What do you think about this Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation game?

And what do you think about this Endless Space® - Collection game? is it even a rts?

Scroll up; No, it's a classic 4X.

Veil of Crows: store.steampowered.com/app/601540/

user , Althoug this game is Early Access its basically Stronghold + Mount and Blade Warband + total war games

RPG Elements for your heroes

Stronghold for managing your castle/town

Total War when sending your armies to fight other settlements

can you build your own walls in that game? Are there population limits in that game?

You can build your own walls

there is a pop limit and it depends on the the castle/town that you have

Tried Kohan, Spellforce, Ground Control, Metal Fatigue, Dark Colony, Battlezone, Rise of Legends, Culures, Majesty, Dark Reign, Sacrifice, Armada, Empire Earth, Kabuto, Armies of Exigo, Golden Horde, Submarine Titans, Perimeter or any of the classic shit?

How about Castle Strike?

Ashes of the Singularity manages to be so way off and far too slow honestly. I don't mean it should be gookclick but holy fuck it badly needs air transports in that game.
There is no "meaty" feel to any of the units in the way they move, fire or sound. Escalation also fucked over original Ashes buyers cause it's what the original should have been. Unit AI is also kind of retarded in terms they will sit and be shot at rather than engage plus it tends to get confused and stuck. Overall it's a nice tech demo but needs far more work.

what do you mean new? just something i like that you may not have played? have you tried age of galactic empires? dont expect to be blown away but its worth the time to check out especially if you like the setting.

Now you have my attention. Never heard of this game before, will give it a spin.

…what? You realize Cybran is inarguably the most powerful Faction in FAF right now, right?

What the fuck game are you guys playing?

speaking of CC generals ZH

what the fuck were they thinking?

forgot

Ignaront OP, thats not an space elf

user please, in terms of tier 3 land units, the cybran are always lacking in comparison to UEF, mostly due to the mobile shield generators
In Tier 3 air they have the stealth advantage as long as no one has an omni-sensor lying around, which completely ruins any surprise they might have during a bombing run as well as disrupting stealth dog fighting
Aeon on the other hand is overwhelmingly best team, Harbingers with Mobile Shield generators will rape any other ground unit, Bricks and Percivals are utterly useless in comparison, and restorers are arguably the best anti air unit in the game
All of this is only pertaining to tier 3 though
Only team i know thats stronger are the ayy lmaos

No, it's cause the people who play UEF are fags and the people who play Aeon are little girls.

It's a reflection of the War on Terror. Even with all our technology and numbers (USA and China) they still can't beat the Hydra that is global terrorism.

To install Ultimate Apocalypse you need to install these first:
moddb.com/mods/tyranid-mod/downloads/tyranid-mod-v05b2-for-soulstorm
moddb.com/downloads/freeui-085-for-dow-soulstorm

Then you install this:
moddb.com/mods/ultimate-apocalypse-mod/downloads/ua-thb-v1885-full

Maybe user just finds xenophilia worse than beastiality.

I wonder if there are many games where the "terrorist " faction turn out to be the most advanced? C&C come to mind with Nod. Consortium from Act of War is another.

I know they act like terrorists, but they're nothing like the GLA

I know that. My friend didn't.
They are more of a Merc Organisation in aesthetic, sort of Bond Villain tier

FUCK YOU TIB WARS FUCKING UP MUH LORE

So, in other words, you're playing vanilla and not FAF?

LOFUCKINGL

I was gonna respond to this too but then I saw

Oh, thank christ, you're just trolling

Nigger please, Harbingers win out as a more useful unit over all
They cost a quarter less, Build 25% faster, can fire in all directions with a quick radius meaning they can easily hit any unit type and aren't prone to overkill
Not to mention reclaim and repair really helps out on the battle field and also keep up the economy and they're shield recharges after battle meaning they're harder to wear out with consistent runs

The percivals only advantage is being a damage sponge and dealing large damage to other single targets with a long reload
They get raped by hordes of smaller units mixed in with the big damage dealers
Sure a Percival might easily 1v1 a harbinger in single combat, But when large groups confront each other, the Percival ends up overkilling too many units
I've found spamming a few dozen Shitty tech 1 scouts with my Harbingers will end up fucking over percivals

Basically The reason the Percival is not as good as the Harbingers all comes down to the fact that Percivals NEED to be supported
Honestly though, The UEFs strongest advantage on land are those mobile factories, provided you can actually protect them, They can always push back any land battle.

Fuck off back to /leddit/

You are retarded, Restorers dominate all tech 3 air battles with the exception of Cybran when their are no enemy Omni sensors lying around
Their only weakness is being unable to be built or placed by/within CZARs

In a tech 3 land battle, they win most of the time, Those mobile shield generators allow those shitty tanks to get in close, but rather its the sniper bots and artillery you have to worry about
In fact the seraphim dominated almost all tiers in one way or another, regardless of air sea or land

I don't know what they're like for FAF, but normally the reason no one plays them at LAN parties is that they're just to strong

Except that it's not

10/10 user

When will nodfags ever learn.

I bet you hate black people fucking your wife.
:^)

I am trying to think what actually is off with Act of Aggression, but can't put words to it.

I’m going to be straight here. I am a cuckold, but I am also a white nationalist. I believe that whites have contributed more to humanity than any other race, space travel, anti–biotics the list goes on. But when it comes down to it, blacks are just better at fucking. Theres no shame in admitting this. There is no shame in admitting that despite the infinite intellectual and moral superiority of the white race, black cock is just better at pleasing women.

The reason white women are turning from the cause and running to niggers is simply because they are not being sexually satisfied. Can you blame them? If you dont get enough to eat at home youre going to go out to eat. The only way to save the white race from miscegenation is cuckolding. My pure white wife is my angel, the apple of my eye. And I want nothing but the best for her. So every friday she gets to have her fill of big black cock. And our relationship goes on like normal. We love each other, and plan on having a child soon. She also shares my red pilled beliefs.

Monogamy is a tool of the jew. Just give it a chance once. Its exhilarating. Theres something deeply majestic about watching a toned muscular black stud going in and out of a beautiful white woman. Try it once.

[spoiler]sage for offtopic]

Don't fall for it.

THE THINKING MEN`S FETISH

I mean she is wearing gloves it wouldn't be farfetched to believe the man couldn't be wearing them as well

Can they somehow not fuck up everything?
It would be really nice

I asked around for it a while back, basically the response was "lol no, download our new version instead goyim! We deleted the old version!"

I found an installer for version 20140722 in my Downloads folder, is that old enough?

We need to get you a version that works so you can cap the match and upload it.

These fucking numale instagram faggots.
Keep doing god's work based eagle-san.

Oh come on, Cossack, Battlefleet Gothic, fucking Ultimate General, Total Warhammer.

It ain't a hard list to think of.

You fags aren't going to be playing online games this time around? :^)

I wish Rise of Legends got it's sequel.

How did Starcraft get so popular in Korea anyway, why Korea.

It did, it was about magic or some shit.

Why?
Why would you prefer autistically selecting 8-10 units, attack-moving them and then having to repeat it 5-6 times until you got your whole army moving?
Why would you want a clunky control scheme that leads to excessive micro or sub-optimal control of your army?

I get the argument that deathballs become mandatory and the best strategy, but why would "clunky controls" be the first solution to that problem when you could instead have AoE damage for certain attacks and it even seems there's such a thing like Psy Storm anyway?
Large blobs of death are cool to get rolling but if the idea is to not have the game dependant on them, then lower those units effectiveness in combat and have specialists being more effective.

Because if there's one thing I certainly don't miss is not using specialist units because I'm too fucking busy micro-managing my basic units.
Is it really that heretical to ask for a control scheme that allows me to get 50 Zealots and 20 Dragoons to bumrush the oponent's army on their own while I spend the battle micromanaging my Templars and Archons abilities instead?

Random question - I remember people said that AoE2 HD was made from unfinished Alpha code rather than final release code. Did they ever fix it up completely so that it essentially matches the release code, or are there still some problems with it?

No they're fucking garbage and this is why:

dA / dt = -B
dB / dt = -A

This formula explains that in a fight between two closely but not quite equally matched sides, the sides will not trade equally but rather, as the fight progresses, the larger side will enjoy a geometric increase in their relative numerical advantage as the lesser side loses firepower at a disproportional and ever-accelerating rate. In real life, it is one of a few formulas that produced the HMS Dreadnought and the resulting global naval race leading up to WWI.

This formula assumes two things: that there is no significant geographic advantages or disadvantages and that most if not all units can fire at the same time. Deathballs (and navies) are efficient at reaching both of these conditions and so they are efficient at producing the conclusion: the winning side will continue to win by greater and greater margins and the possibility of a comeback is quickly eliminated. This is backwards to all points of modern competitive design: that comebacks should be possible if difficult to prevent players from feeling too helpless and once a game has been decided it should be over quickly to minimize the time spent being helpless.

SC1 neatly and accidentally sidestepped this problem by making movement and coordination of large numbers of units very difficult, so the game was decided in dozens of slow messy skirmishes across the entire map. Spellcasters aren't a good solution because spellcasters are boring as shit to watch and SC2 is already way too reliant on dumbass spellcaster AoE to deal with the fundamentally backwards problems that deathballs produce. LotV took steps to fix this by encouraging harassment but it's still way to dependent on the spellcaster band-aid.

Advertisement, massive amounts of advertisement. And US being massive Weebs, but generally advertised the fuck out of it. Starcraft was never popular in Europe and don't think Russia either but could be wrong about that It was mainly an Asia and North America thing.
Games Workshop really could have sued the shit out of them and killed them off early at one point but never did, adding to their list of near constant fuckups. It would have been the one time where their lawyer spam would have been welcomed
That was Rise of Legends user. Steampunk Italian City States vs Arabian Nights vs Aztecs with Lazers.

Here come the shit-eaters again.

Space Thread people should be the last to call anyone a shit eater, considering the state of the genre.

I don't know when you started playing these games, but I can tell you that any Warscape game is so different from what used to be the standard that it might as well not have 'Total War' in the title.

WaWa itself is a half-baked game bloated with DLC and cut content that people found appealing after experiencing the disappointments that were Rome 2 and Attila.
On its own, maybe it is even acceptable.
But it is an abysmal Total War game.

Prostagma?

Isvoli!

Jesus this shit only gets worse by the second.

Why do they looks like legos?

More like, the US wastes so much money on tech and resources to predict and counterattack terrorists while all they do is hide c4 into their rectums and run very fast at very expensive buildings, while at the same time ruining the West's reputation in the face of its people

I don't fucking know, Starcraft's artstyle was already dumb looking to me, but it's even worse when others try to imitate it.

The terran's had a good art style in the original. They looked like 90's cgi, it was pleasant to looks at. Nuterrans look like they belong on a shitty mobile game.

Wawa makes the most out of whats possible with warscape. We'll never see another Rome 1, deal with it you butthurt "patrician".

Ask Ass Deffect Andromeda.

Like I said, eating shit.
But that's all right, someone has to do that too.

fix'd

Warscape engine was not designed for melee combat. It sounds retarded but I'm not even shitting you, that's the truth. Only thing decent about it is that we may get a WW1 game out of it eventually

Do you have any idea how much dicks toxin general sucks against anything heavyly armed ? Chinks roll all over him.
Even with 2 scrap upgrades gla units have nothing on chink overlords or usa defense.

Was that even remotely good or was it meh tier ?

Heavily Overlooked Tier. Generally unique setting with a good campaign Dark Crusade style. Felt they had a good expansion pack planned but it got canned.

I know. Which is why one has to wonder what the point of using it for games that have melee in them is.
Even Empire and Napoleon had a good deal of melee combat in them and the engine was specifically made for those two.
I do agree that their best bet would be a WW1 game, but it's not like the battles are the only problem with the new games. Research, replenishment, robotic generals and agents (somewhat fixed in WaWa), construction, unit recruitment and even taxation are all terrible. The campaign is probably more fucked than the battles at this point.

I really wish they'd get rid of warscape and make something better, but it's their new approach and design philosophy that are flawed now.
A new engine won't make them better developers.

looks like a retarded child of command center and starport

I do wonder if Halo Wars was only bad because of console controls of if there's other things KB+M couldn't fix

Small corridor maps
Low population cap
No map editor

My mistake for not explaining that point better.
Large blobs of death are cool to get rolling because they look awesome, shooting lots of bullets, hacking lots of body parts and engaging in bloody combat. It's a very enjoyable spectacle and I'm sure a lot of RTS fans play these games for the large scraps they get to watch.

If they have a fundamental problem in terms of how the game progresses (in this case, eliminating comebacks), then that problem should be solved but not at the expense of such a neat spectacle IMO.

I also don't believe intentionnally bad pathfinding (even if in SC it wasn't intentional) is a proper solution. You don't get all your units to (fire at the same time) but you still get them in a nice queue, depleting the other player's forces. Your remaining army will be smaller than if they could all be used at the same time, but the difference doesn't necessarily allow for comebacks, not to mention that you now shifted the skill required to play the game from "coming up with a neat strategy to beat your oponent" to "out-micro your oponent", where even if you have the best composition, you might still lose if you're not fast enough at issuing orders.

Saying that SC1 sidestepped this problem "neatly" is wrong though. The skirmishes always played out in inefficient and frustrating ways with tons of troops dying because you were busy micromanaging something else at the time and giving an edge over "muh apm" faggots essentially making a game that should be about strategy more reliant on quick reflexes instead, which in turn destroys the possibility of comebacks and ruins the whole point of this.

It's just my opinion but I don't think the control scheme for most RTS actually works or achieves what it should, despite how used some people probably are to them and in the long run just generates problems that apparently nobody knows how to solve.

so how's gaylo wars going to be on PC anyway

What is your opinion on strong base defenses and structures? In Starcraft, any kind of attack with small numbers is successful because static defenses are utterly helpless outside of massed Terran bunkers backed by constant repairs from SCUs as they die by being sneezed at and there's no dedicated wall structures to disallow enemy movement.

In comparison, on C&C:MO, having a large blob of units that can kill the enemy's army efficiently (eg Tankspam, Anti-unit Heavy Infantry) isn't as profitable because attacking the actual enemy base, if it's moderately defended with walls and heavy structures such as Prism Towers or Tesla Coils, without dedicated Artillery or Anti-Structure units which are usually ineffective against attacking enemy units by themselves, is tantamount to suiciding all your units to a wall. No matter how big your blob is.
This could eliminate blobs and rather place a focus on good unit compositions as you can't afford to simply spam something cheap to eliminate everything on the map.

I think walls should be weak at first when you build them, but as time progresses upgrade to a stronger version. This way you have to have some pre-planning and visioning for robust base defenses while walling up, and annoying and cheap wall-up strategies are eliminated.

As for other defensive buildings, I think they should peak at usefulness in the late early and early mid game mainly to protect your resources from annoying harassment. Either that or have the resource collectors be capable of some combat. It's really frustrating if you have to pull back your production because one or two enemy units got through somewhere and are running around poking everything they come in contact with.

The way walls work in C&C is that you can only build small sections of it at time intervals and only in cardinal directions as long as something isn't blocking the way (like terrain slopes or other objects), meaning you can't realistically wall off your base from any unit rush in time if you are unprepared or the terrain blocks it.
To counter this, base defenses are strong enough to eliminate enemy tanks in around 1 to 3 hits depending on the armor on the tank and the amount of extra support/firepower bonuses each defense has (such as Tesla Troopers for Soviets or extra adyacent Prism Towers as Allied), but are expensive to mass produce in such a way that you are unable to maintain production of Units, Tech structures and Defenses at the same time.

However, defenses are strong enough to be also useful in the late game as Tech 3 Artillery Defense structures do exist in MO for all factions such as the Allied Grand Cannon or the Soviet Hammer seismic projector, which are effective against most dedicated artillery vehicular units but are somewhat weaker against infantry siege.

In the end all factions become "the Assassin" because units and resources are worthless if one hero can kill&raze everything while being an evasion tank.

I think base defenses should be the equivalent of half a decent army once set up, with a few already built and more optional. They should be enough to keep a small force at bay very easily but not deter a large invading army.
The idea is merely to give you an advantage while fighting in your turf.

The problem with defenses actually comes from a single point in the map being important, your base. There's no reason to defend anything else and there's no reason to attack anything else. As such, defenses will always be amassed together and either they are effective or they aren't, a binary outcome.
If instead there were small fortified structures that provide some bonus when you hold them and can be further reinforced but never as much as your base, defenses could be very effective against armies when in great number (your base) but merely able to stop raids in small numbers (other outposts). An interesting example of this are control points in DoW1

Defenses should also have different versions with varying costs and effectiveness so you could build the cheap ones for defense against simple attacks but build the better ones (or upgrade the previous ones) for harder attacks.
Only game I ever saw doing this was Empire Earth that had Palisades and Walls, the first having half the HP but costing only a small amount of Wood instead of Stone.

There's nothing clever requiring intensive micro to leverage the full benefit of increasing power.

Company of heroes had a solution in having upkeep rates for each unit one of the resources being a fixed rate income that was required for all unit purchases.

Mods for Company of Heroes further broke the power curve by enabling tactics that allowed for rapid reversal of fortunes.

Mangudai for AoE 2 function that way, if you move them in a group, stop, fire then move again, that's how you effectively use them. They fire instantly when stopped while horse archers need a second to line up the shot. Watching someone use that and slowly pick off a line of units is impressive but it can't be fun.

That reminds me of an idea I rarely see in RTS despite how simple it is and how effective it would be about balancing blobs.

In Age of Empires or Rise of Nations, you have Food as a resource and even a stockpile building where your farmers drop off any they collected.
However, Food is stored and used pretty much like every other resource instead of being a different game mechanic.

What if every unit had a base upkeep in food that added up and your stockpile buildings instead decided how much you can hold at any point?
In theory you could still have your blob, they'd just consume a very large amount of food, requiring your population to work mostly on that, but also giving buildings your opponent can raid to rob or destroy supplies and you can even have units doubling their rate when they are away from their base, giving a purpose to stockpiling and an advantage to defenders, who have more supplies nearby.

Or instead troops only consume food if they near a town, a fort or a supply wagon, otherwise they starve taking damage and getting worse stats. You could essentially starve blobs of death to cut in half their power and force a retreat, giving you time for a come back.

see

OH YEAH THOSE FUCKING DEMO BIKES

ALWAYS GET HIGH VALUE FOR YOUR TRADE OUT? SURE WHY THE FUCK NOT

Ive beeen playing thewqars of liberty mod for AoE III lately, have you guys tried it?

I understand and know how the rest works but I need help on this.

Never heard of it, but I love Age 3, I'll have to give it a try.

Im still not quite sure about it, i like the autism that goes into it and it is well done, but i still dont get used.

dA/dt is the derivative A in time, how it changes as time progresses.
Those equations are just a fancy way of saying "B gains more power per second the more losses A suffer".

Suppose that A and B are two armies with 2000 units each. B is never hit for the sake of simplifying things.
First volley and A lost 1000 units. B is now double the power of A.
Second volley and B killed 500 units. B is now not triple but actually quadruple the power of A.
And as more and more volleys are fired, the gap in power increases.
Unless you are a cheeky cunt and realize B will never manage to kill all of A, there will always be some of it to fight against B :^)

The consequences of this (and I'm assuming user mentioned this because it happened in WW1) is that, the more units you field, the bigger your odds of winning the battle but not in a linear faction, rather an exponential one.
So instead of fielding 500 units to battlefield A and 500 to Battlefield B, you're better off sending 1000 to A, win and then then send the remaining to B.

I love blob warfare so much. At LAN parties we used to do 40 min treaty mode in Age 3 so everyone would create the biggest, strongest armies they could muster, and layers upon layers of walls. As soon as the timer ends, you would have easily 1200+ units going apeshit at once. Served as a great benchmark for the CPU power of the host.

It also let some of the Indian factions in the first expansion really shine, as you could make 40 dancers boost the strength of your walls to obscene levels of HP as an alternative to building multiple layers.

Dreadnoughts arose from the concept of the all-big-gun ship. Pre-dreadnought battleships carried a main battery that was usually two pairs of 12" guns fore and aft and then a light battery of 4-6" guns wherever possible, with a number of them having an intermediate battery of 8-10" guns around the sides to increase the ship's weight of fire. Around 1900, improvements in observation, gun range, and fire control had reached the point where intermediate batteries could no longer reach far enough to be useful and the HMS Dreadnought was the first ship to follow this to its logical conclusion and drop the intermediate battery for a heavier main battery of five pairs of 12" guns. For the purposes of the formula that meant she was the equivalent of two and a half pre-dreadnoughts without taking up two and a half ship lengths in the battle line.

That part matters because until about 1943 fire control was still very rudimentary. Two ships firing at the same target would screw up each others' gunnery because the way you would dial in a target would be to fire a volley, observe the shell splash, and then adjust, so two ships firing at the same target would often mistake the other ship's shell splashes for its own and end up walking their fire away from the target rather than towards it this was eventually ameliorated by putting ship-specific dyes on the base of the shells so that the water geysers produced by misses would be color-coded. So those limitations plus very crude communications still largely based on pre-written instructions and flag and lamp signals imposed a fairly rigid method of battle: your battleships would line up fore to aft, their battleships would line up fore to aft, and you'd sail vaguely in the same direction with each of your ships firing at their opposite to minimize interference from your own side. In a fight between evenly-numbered fleets the HMS Dreadnought would be able to throw ten 12" shells per volley against a ship that could only return four, with predictable results, and the snowballing would begin.

So the moment that the HMS Dreadnought touched water, every floating battleship was obsolete. They were renamed from battleships to pre-dreadnoughts, the US Navy's prefix for pre-dreadnoughts was B for battleship and for dreadnoughts it was BB for battleship battleship, to correctly emphasize their place in the world.

The race wasn't just to replace obsolete pre-dreadnoughts, it was also to match the number of hulls. A ship can only sink once no matter how many guns it has. The formula we're talking about is more about this than all of the stuff above, but the formulas for that are buried in old war papers from 1900 and I can't find online versions.

I think a big exacerbating factor in this for SC2 is the lack of distinction in the handling of different units. C&C's units behave completely differently depending on their locomotion type (tracked, wheeled, hover, jet etc) and their individual acceleration/turn rate/fire on the move/turreted weapons and so on. Then there's stuff like projectile physics and firing height, like TibSun's disc thrower skimming and titans. It's not so obvious in RA2/YR, but MO (and most other big C&C mods) exaggerate it and make it a huge part of the gameplay. This isn't even mentioning other engines like TA's which took the simulation aspect even further.

Then you have SC1, which lacks most of this, and SC2 which is almost as simple, but in which the meta battle against the pathfinding and controls were taken away. If the units themselves weren't so easy to sync up, micro and reposition all in exactly the same way as each other, the logistics involved would be much more challenging and the deathball problem would be less of one.

Enldess Space is meh.
Boring ship design and combat.

The entire thing is not something you need to fix in the first place.
If you can't match your opponents strength in a death ball, then don't engage in a head-on fight.

Split your force into smaller groups and attack in multiple places. His giant stack of doom can't be everywhere at once.

Also, this problem would be further migated by proper logistics - being bigger means jack shit if you fleet runs out of fuel, spare parts or ammo.

Actually, one game that had logisitcs was Conquest:Fronteer Wars.

All ships had supplies that would deplete as they fought.
Ship could re-supply at supply depots or from supply ships, who had their own large supply store (which could also deplete)
But supply depots could only supply your ships if they had a clear connection (of warp gates) to a system of yours with a supply-producing planet (HQ).
Breaking that connection means that you could cut off enemy supply lines, and trough hit-and-run attacks deplete the enemy fleet of supplies with minimal losses.

Thanks for the history lesson user. It's actually a bit weird to hear that's how they calibrated their guns, with a missed first shot. I was expecting simple tracking devices in a shell they could use, but I guess that wasn't possible at the time.

The problem is a lack of places to attack since in most RTS there's the main base your oponent uses for tech and production and… That's it.
The only variation is resource nodes outside your base that you'll often fortify against rading as well or that don't matter as much if destroyed. Your oponent doesn't gain extra resources for breaking it down and as long as it made enough to justify it's costs, it's all good.

This! Why isn't this done more often? Supply Wagons in Rise of Legends could have a supply of both Food and Weapons\Ammo that they'd recharge when in towns, the first one depleting when accompanying an army outside of your towns and the second depleting as they fight.

Forts and other defensive structures could have their Supply pools as well units could drawn from but they'd require caravans or supply lines to replenish so you'd need to set up a trading network that keeps them fresh, thus giving your oponent a weakness he can exploit.
If someone showed up with a blob army, you could starve it to death, you could force it to leave but depleting all their ammo and you could raid caravans to cut down supplies. This would be a far better solution than making pathfinding horribly limited.

You should really try C:FW

I have a little mod I put together that I can make avilable too :P

I'm definetely gonna try it now, seems like Sins of Solar Empire but with more depth to it and a lot of mechanics I want to try.
There seems to be a mod called Conquest 2:Frontier Wars. Is it any good?

I wonder what happened to that RTS game made in the Freespace Engine?

The AoE-looking one?

The main developer died so they cancelled the project

I haven't actually tried that mod, so I don't know.

My mod just re-balances sides and adds new terran ships

Shit nigger, why the feels?

EA lied, Westwood died.

Dubs of truth and sadness.

it hurts

Well shit, never though console port RTS could be this fun. Bad pathfinding and shit UI though, they doesn't even bother putting tooltips on ability icon and hotkey for building functions and whatnot.

I find it really basic and boring myself, just two faction and the pop cop is too fucking low.

God, I wish the japs make more RTS games.

Attila is not a bad TW though.

There was a few hentai ones they made that was shilled here a while back.

H TBS sure but H RTS I have never heard of.

Here's the Conquest Fronteer Wars mini-mod:
mediafire.com/file/ecrd19idx79ikw9/CFW.rar

I think it's the latest variant.
Just backup the original file.

Remember, it was Ensembles last game and made for consoles as well. It might be handicapped but it has a good name behind it.

Definitely was a few shilled here a while back I remember cause I fapped to it Don't remember what they were called though.

Just search for Rance, there's a few games with that storyline.
It's all about Rance, glorious literal motherfucker, going around Japan and conquering every pussy he finds.
It's actually a decent game, but it can hardly be considered RTS.

Does it have mecha? I remember one having mecha.

A M A Z I N G

Is there any RTS with such focus on economy as in Settlers IV or Stronghold?
I really need some macro and base building in my life and my friends refuse to play SupCom.

0/10

Banished is more life raising sim with a group of settlers but it's comfy. Tropico series, again more sim than RTS. Children of the Nile? You can build pyramids n' shit. Need to carve out all the standstone as well.
Yeah, I'm struggling to think of some. Total war games maybe in the campaigns.

You pretty much said what is a problem. There is no RTSs.
There is shit tone of city buildiers. I don't believe you failed to mention Impressions Games.
They are fun but they aren't RTS. Which is annoying when you still want to play RTS.

Any one here still like Sins of a Solar Empire

Ahh, star wars mod.

Hope they've re-balanced it a bit.

They haven't, kek. I've had a very similar game to yours and I'm sure anyone who's played that mod does too. A bit ridiculous

Well that sounded lore-accurate.

I'll play with you user

Have you tried mass strikecraft spam?

This thread is what cancer fucking looks like, global thermonuclear warfare when so we can end it all

Twisted Insurrection staff seems to have adquired a liking to introduce new TS and TD song remixes to their mod. Wished they'd unfuck the campaing already, still too many goddamn Commando-esque missions.

Thought unfucking the campaign was their next goal?

They're remaking the whole of the original C&C95 Tiberian Dawn Campaign as of now.
Or at least, re-imagining them, but at least they can copy what made each mission fun to play through.
They got half the Nod campaing done now and about 4 missions of the GDI campaign done.

Oh and they also balanced multiplayer a bit so that Nod couldn't just curbstomp everything with viperspam+drillarty, since they don't heal on tiberium anymore and the arty now actually has paper-mache armor!
Too bad goliath tanks still die to 4 rockets though, but at least snipers are cheaper.

I tried TI a few months ago but got put off by everything dying instantaneously and it feeling really spammy as a result. Is that due to me being a shitter or part of the design? I got about 2/3rds of the way through the GDI campaign before getting bored of mining the whole map out to build 6 gorillion units and going for a giant all in.

The design is really terrible.

Main problem comes with most units, even the GDI heavy hitters, being mostly expendable glass cannons.
The other comes with maps starting you out with a really tiny squad of really vulnerable infantry that can die to half the shit placed on the map very easily UNLESS you go exactly to where the developer thinks you should be going to, Nod 02 and GDI 04 come to mind here as prime examples, although there are more of these.

Or not giving you tools to efficiently tackle on something on the map. Infact Nod 05 comes heavily to mind after reaching the Helipad base that can only produce Hornets, which was already a daunting task with the patrolling Scatterpacks and Snipers. Since they don't give you any tanks or production of thereof to take on a GDI base with a myriad of static Anti-infantry and Anti-aircraft defenses, riddled with Snipers AND with a War Factory producing Dragon HRVs which are anti-aircraft/vehicle units, it really becomes a slogfest of waiting and harvesting tiberium until you have a gigantic death blob of infantry+aircraft to attack-move the entirety of the base.

They said it's challenging. But the lack of saving mid-mission due to ARES limitations plus the lenght of the missions themselves once you actually have a base to defend (and even not that, since the later pure commando no basebuilding missions usually take up to an hour and a half to finish), and the number of shit you need to deal with to finish the mission, just makes it a borefest of not toeing near the instakill unit placed on the wrong side of the map to win. With no indication that said unit even exists and no way to predict such, other than suiciding an unit there to confirm if the area is clear or not.
Literal trial-and-error on what should be an strategy game.

Reminds me of what I think was the first Allied mission on MO 2.0
Look at this thing, doesn't it scream anti-ground railgun?

They changed the sprites of the Railgun/Flame Towers to differentiate from the actual Psychic Towers Epsilon's PsiCorps now have. I think they also reworked the fuck out of their single player campaings to not contain such bullshit spread around everywhere.
It's still jarring that most of this shit was moved or is still present in their COOP and Challenge multiplayer side missions though, nothing sucks more than the client failing to load a multiplayer mission 6 times in a row due to network failiures, only for the mission itself killing you instantly for moving near the shroud to explore around.

Forgot image. Even so, this tower really doesn't look like something that can shoot a beam of instant-fuck-you-and-die.

Pretty much summed up why most modding teams can't do Single Player Campaigns.
i.e. you can only do this and only this, any deviation from the formula and you'll be punished! How dare you have fun!

Is gookclick just a buzzword to describe a bad RTS or something popular among gooks, or are their specific standards to be met for it.

It generally denotes an RTS with the primary outcome of a match being decided by APM or "actions per minute"
Starcraft and Age of empires can be described as gookclicks, due to high end matches being decided by who can build their workers the quickest in an optimal build time.as well as multitasking hordes of small units in order to not take too much damage
Take age of empires for example, you can move your individual units out of the way of artillery fire and some matches are decided by this
There is also an optimal build method that all the pro players use in order to gather the best resources at the start

However the problem with determining if a game is a gookclick is that its difficult to know how much APM actually affects the match

Games on the other hand that definitely aren't gookclicks are CoH or supcom, which either give you automated squads with good pathing and will actually seek shelter, Or give you an absurd amount of units to the point that multitasking hordes of individual units is a detriment.

AoE matches are crazy. Someone linked that Spirit of the Law guy and he divides his cavalry to dodge a siege onager and it's just crazy how he times all his villagers getting out of the town centre.

With Company of Heroes I have noticed that infantry in artillery will often move away from a blast that's close to them

But when you say gookclick this gookclick that, I must ask: what is your experience with RA2 multiplayer. There the games are usually decided incredibly fast. AMP and good builds are very much the way to victory and in general RA2 makes starcraft at a pro level seem like a pleasant time.

APM itself is not the problem, unnecessary APM that adds nothing to the gameplay is. This is why Starcraft 2 is the usual poster child for gookclick and not SC1. Controlling your units is a core part of SC1 and naturally the higher your APM gets the better you can do that. SC2 demands APM from you with mechanics like larva inject which could easily have been automatic. The first is organic and the second is artificial.

Besides, a game being fast and requiring high APM are different things. RA2 really doesn't take much APM, it's all about knowing how to play the map, never stopping building units, and getting a good engagement. The only micro things you're ever likely to do are putting units in IFVs and controlling jets. A game like AoE2 is way, way more APM intensive even though it's much slower and matches can go on for an hour.

After a few complete losses to microed battle fortresses and their absurd range, I'd say unit micro is pretty relevant.

Yes, but moving a unit around and having it automatically shoot things pales in comparison to basically anything in any other game.

True.
I just want to stress how some RTS games like RA, supcomm and etc. have a very serious micro element to them, one that cannot be ignored if you want to be good at them.

have you played the wargame series?

Step it up user.

if someone wanted lewd of SC, what would they want to see? Purely hypothetically speaking.

OK, so they're thin leather gloves and the guy has particularly long nails that leave an outline on the glove?

Galactic Colossus with the experimental submarine

This thread is as dead as the genre

Does the Consortium even get a campaign in the expansion?

Anno if you count it as an RTS.

I just wanted some good RTS that focuses on economy.
Besides Settlers 4 and Stronghold.

I will tell my experience with gookclicks. APM is just this stat. Every time I play any of the two I never think of micro. I just do it. I found out that eventually over the time my APM just rose because I learned more and more what to do, not because I was faster clicker.
APM is just indicator of players doing stuff. Even on pro scene it wasn't indicator of skill, GoOdy raped everyone with Terran mech and 30 apm during Wing of Liberty.

Problem is Blizzard fucked up. they made SC2 shit by adding reaction time stuff like Disruptor and at the same time keeping skill ceiling. Only good gookclick game was SC1. You had to bother to control your units and that it what made this game fair on e-sport level. SC2 on another hand is shit like SC1 on casual level when you want to play RTS and on e-sport one because battles are random 50% of times. Just two blobs of armies a-moving each other.

Now fucking give me more games like Settlers 4 and Stronghold.

By RTS I mean game that can be resolved during one play session and have any combat.
Therefore no.

Anno has Combat at least 2070 does

Look I hate how luck cluster combat is in any game like this. Other wise I would enclose myself in Impressions Games.
Reason I keep talking about Settlers 4 is because it had actual armies and combat in it. And I only learned it after 5h game session where I didn't understood this game but after 3h I managed to balance everything. And combat was actually awesome afterwards.

However nowadays developers just enclose themselves to one resource and 0 base building besides occasional wall. I know Anno games good enough to realize it won't be same thing as sending hundreds of soldiers to their demise while min maxing eco in your base.

How did we go from this:

To this:

To THIS:

nice digits, but I was hoping you'd post one of these instead.

It's not terrorism if it's against the global oppressor.

FUCK YEAH TORCH THESE CIVILIAN BUILDINGS
THAT'LL TEACH THOSE GDI ASSHOLES
smh tbh Mark what are you doing

Clearly, the notorious terrorist organization is field-testing their newest weapon of terror on defenceless civilians.

You filthy bastard.

Could be worse
Could be Scrinfags or Forggottencucks

It's not to late to cast off the shackles of the global oppressor.

I'M WONDERING WHY THEY WOULD COLLAPSE A TEMPLE ONTO A MAN BEFORE SHOOTING HIM WITH AN ION CANNON.

I always wished the Empire got some Mecha Penguins for naval combat.

MY LIFE FOR MASTER LOLI!

TIME FOR HERESY!

Pretty simple, really.

DOW 1 was about large sprawling maps, big buildings were there to give it some scale and because they could actually fit. Also to make your bases occupy a fairly large patch so they could be discovered in bigger terrains.

DOW 2 however has a single building (not counting the beacons and similar structures) that is responsible for everything related to tech and production. It needed to be bigger and flashy since it has to convey the feeling of not only being the very important place where everything base-related happens, but also feel like an actual fortress you're assaulting.

DOW 3 however is going for a more skirmish feeling to it, with faster gameplay and since there are Power Orbs, your base does not need to occupy a bigger space either, so it's reduced to a small size because that's how much that building matters.

The idea that the main building should be bigger stems from AoE or Warcraft where your main building is a town of sorts that acts as resource dropoff besides producing builders\gatherers and as such it makes sense to make it bigger for emphasis and balancing reasons.
However, that's not what happens with DoW so the larger size is unneeded.

If you want a better, more lore-friendly reason:
DoW 1 was about a long prolonged conflict in systems that the Blood Ravens where trying to secure. Large, big open structures would make a lot of sense for permanent stay in there.

DoW2 however was about their passing by a system that was already colonized, and while they intended to make it a recruiting ground, FOBs like what you see as HQ were more than adequate for such a location since the primary resource they needed (recruits) was in the cities anyway.

DoW3 takes place in a world where the Blood Ravens have no stake and their very presence goes against the Inquisitor orders. As such, small modular bases make the most sense for one that plans to stay only a small amount of time on the planet anyway.

The new design is fuck ugly tho. In DoW2 it only has some not very well used shaders, but here it resembles a cheap plastic toy with garish paint.

Except DoW1 had modular buildings as well and they weren't actually that big, more deployed from orbit and looked like they could redeployed easily when it was time to leave.

I can't believe that CABALdrones aren't a thing that exist.

I'm trying to play mechcommander right now but I have no idea how to salvage enemy mechs. It seems completely random to me. Trying to target a specific location causes my mechs to stand still until the enemy is in range, and they miss most of the time anyways.

Total luck, do not worry.

MY LIFE FOR MASTER YURI

I'd note though that good micro does help a lot in the early game especially on small matches where one expertly-micro'd mech marine can cause substantial setbacks for the enemy.

And has uses in some lategame stuff like using manual attack grounds to have battleships fire on the sea next to subs and hit them with splash damage, or double dropping Ahwassa bombs (actually double drop is useful in situations throughout the game).

I surprised sexed two elfplayers with endless waves of fungus troops and bold waagh tower building. The knife ears never had a chance.

Is it because Eldar are a chore to play in DC in its current state (latest fan patches/mods etc.) or were they just incompetent?

No that's the latest faction they added. Israel, some middle eastern country I never heard of before.
But if you want counters to blobs long range arty is effective. at least in the wargame series.

DC? I don't know what that is. I was talking about DoW3.

At least you can talk

The last faction they added were Suomi and Jugoslavija, you're missing out.

Dark Crusade.

Is Starcraft 2 worth getting to play co-op with a friend and how bad are the expansions, I'm just looking for mindless fun here and I won't talk to him for a long time.

Good god

No real RTS, no matter how good is going to reach 1% of the success of MOBA have with millions of daily players.

Well since Westwoods C&C3 got canned they won't be a thing. C&C3 was going to have around 5 factions to play with

You can try it for free with the basic commander of each race. As far as mindless fun goes, it's pretty neat, though depending on your skill level it may either be a soul crushing grind to get to the fun stuff, or too easy if you can reliably roll brutal missions with low level commanders. The meat of the mode is in 'mutations' that introduce combinations of new mechanics to each mission, ranging from irrelelevant to oh god why. There's a weekly mutation mission with three random mutations, and a custom mode where you can add as many as you wish.

What's the fifth?

I'm not complaining about the size, more that the art direction has gone down the shitter.

Slap some nice shaders and maybe a higher resolution texture on DOW1 and it's buildings will look better than DOW3's, despite the models being well over a decade old.

Also it's not like all of DOW 1's structures aren't modular and rapidly deployed. All of them besides the stronghold just fall down as capsules from space and then dig themselves into the ground and unfold themselves into buildings. The stronghold is delivered by a thunderhawk gunship and unfolds a little. Presumably, recovering one would just be the same thing in reverse.

We need a lewd RTS where you can watch armies of cute elf girls be spanked after a battle.

Did the dying playerbase get worse or did I get better? For reference my gookclicks per minute are about 40-60 now.

The "meta" may just have degenerated into something retarded that can be countered by basic builds or you could be facing with statpaddlers that din't have their carry in that match.

If it's any consolation, I only play wings because I refuse to give blizzard anymore shekels.

Are you faggots trying to get me to play c&c again or what? It's working.

Nothing is better than some good 'ol C&C to spice up the evening with tank blitzes and nukes.