Wine 2.6 released

What games are keeping you on Windows, user?
Wine finally pulled CSMT into the main release today, so everyone who isn't using wine-staging benefits from improved vidya performance along better Shader Model 5 support for DX11 vidya.

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=499
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31379
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=232343
askubuntu.com/questions/177192/how-do-i-create-a-32-bit-wine-prefix
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Man, the Wine devs are on a roll lately.
Haven't used Windows in years.
Fucking finally.
CSMT can still be hit and miss depending on your hardware, but it's definitely nice to finally have the option in vanilla.
It's all shit.

I've been waiting three years for this shit to work.

DX12 wine.

Actually Cheat Engine lol.

Video games.

By the time I'm done compiling, the packages will show up in the official repos…

I could use a new CPU, I manage to max mine out all the time doing actual computing tasks and not just on games.

Isn’t that exactly what you want? It’s an anime game, after all.

Why gourd have bedroom eyes?

Is that why i've suddenly seen all those updates for Libretro today?

Not falling for this again. I'll just pirate windows, and gut it.

At this point I'd rather not play them if I can't get them native or functioning well on WINE.

Hope you don't plan to take it online.

God dammit I believed the wine meme and decided to install gentoo. For fucks sake, I haven't even installed wine itself yet, all I do is rice my desktop. It's literally all I do with my computer now in my free time, choosing colors and programs for things like I'm some fag interior decorator

Suzuha best girl?

for some reason I can't install GNU/Linux on my current computer, it just keeps saying "out of range" when I boot up the usb.

it's got something to do with my graphics card, it's a 1060. I'll give ubuntu 17.04 a shot though.

The real meme is that free software turns you gay.

AA2
CM3D2
Honey select
The list goes on

This seems like the best solution

If anything, they'd target Linux users more, as they are tech-savvy and more likely to be using their distro due to privacy concerns/hiding something.

what are you? a faggot?

what a homo

I hope loonix users are busy making lists of all the games that work now so that they can actually try and lure people with the "but you can play games too" argument for once, instead of pointing to obscure tech threads with walls of text.

What bothered me about wine was browsing through their website only to find nobody has updated info on the games i like even tough they are pretty common. Or said info was super old and irrelevant

You said it yourself, it can run binaries natively, but games are more complex as they require tons of libraries as well.
Some stuff works 100% perfectly on Wine.

Isn't it comfy?
My desktop isn't even that pretty but damn do I love to tweak it. It's like a game built into the OS.

That's good to know, maybe i can finally run Clementine instead of Winamp Lite, i hate heavy featured music players, but of all them, Clementine has the least clutter

I don't have many DX11 games without Linux ports, but Inside worked for me last night in spite of the missing lighting effects and no Steam overlay. I'll wait for PlayOnLinux to pick up the latest x64 Wine builds and try those: if they don't fix it, I'll file a bug report.

Clementine has a Windows version dumbass

You can use ncmpcpp. If not through GNU+NT then through Cygwin.

New list of games supported?
I'm ready to dump windows or at least add some linux to my boot choice.

gotta get those Compiz wobling windows so you can have proof of being a pro haxxr

Spinnan cubes are passe, it's all about the tiling meme now.

I pretty much stick with native games (and other emulators) for Linux now, except for games that I already know work well on WINE.

Redpill me on Linux, been using windows since 95 and looking for a good alternative that can still run video games, not interested in videogames from 2015+ except for Arma 3 and Xcom, handful of others. Would I be able to play MMOs?

All the ones that have issues with wine, aka 99% of them

On the contrary, they'd target Windows users more because it takes less work to open more computers with a 0day. Any GNU/Linux exploits are likely focused on servers, not desktop computers.

Also typically the criminals they look for are dumb as rocks when it comes to computer security. Why bother looking for exploits in TOR when you can just target the stupid pedos who enable Flash while on hidden sites?

And ironically Microsoft has to make compatibility layers for their own old systems, which WINE often beats in performance because they're not Pajeet-tier garbage. On top of that, Windows 10 has completely broken support for a lot of older software. Tons of old games don't work in W10 but run flawlessly on WINE.

Why not foobar for Windows and deadbeef for Linux?

You misinterpreted his post, OSes like windows they just autopilot that shit, where as with linux they have to put effort into botnet your shit. That may seem good thing at first but not when you got billions of dollars and a literal army of manpower at your disposal. And since linux users are about 3% that just means they just need to put that manpower into that small demographic. It's basic logistics really. It will only become a problem for them when linux has a larger amount of desktop users.

I think your problem is just that you are a faggot deep down inside. Me, I don't spend time color-coordinating my scheme or shit. But I'm lazy, I pick dark background colors because they're easier on the eyes and otherwise stick to utilitarian shit. There's nothing wrong with ricing when it makes you more productive (pro tip: split screen and multiple virtual screens are great). But if you're competing for world's prettiest screen display, maybe that's just your repressed gay tendencies coming to the fore.

Anyway, it's your PC, so do what you want, but eh, don't blame others for how you choose to spend your time.

There's a whole DB for this: appdb.winehq.org/

That's actually pretty true. When it comes to old videogames, Windows is cancer while WINE still runs them fine.

Are you retarded? Just use Mint or something.

Pretty much all the games I care about don't work.

Fucking gook devs.

Found the retard. It's all the same shit. The only things that matter are: 1) what repos you use, and 2) whether you're compiling from source.

I never understood the tiling meme, why go through the trouble of installing and configuring a window manager that makes your computer completely useless just for the sake of it?

It's the repositories and the package manager that's the reason it's shit.
I ain't got time to search up a repository for every fucking application.

apt-get is fucking cancer.

Absolutely plebeian.

What about them? There's a spin based off Debian stable, if you're looking for less-new-but-more-reliable installs.
Why?

INSTALL GENTOO

every time, i fucking hate you fucks.

There is literally nothing wrong with Debian.

Because it actually works really well for a certain kind of person. I tend to arrange my windows in a semi-tiled fashion anyway, and having a WM that does it automatically lets me save layouts, maximize screen coverage, and keep everything looking pretty.

I still keep a floating WM around for certain edge cases but otherwise there's no point.

Debian and derivatives = Gentoo > Slackware > Arch (and other weird distros that mimic Arch like Alpine)

Multiplayer gook games, especially mmos, are known for using anticheat software that's basically a rootkit. That shit won't work in wine.

systemd

The default repos haven't be updated at all.

systemd is cancer but your non shit-tier options for avoiding it are Arch, Gentoo, and Slackware. Arch sucks, I don't have the horsepower to compile everything, and if I wanted to use BSD I'd just use BSD.

Try devuan or voidlinux

Your just mad because you couldn't get past the install without a gui.

No, arch is trash.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

So use testing or unstable instead of stable.

I'd like to know exactly why you think that?

Devuan had an autistic fit when I tried to introduce it to my LVM+LUKS setup. How's Void, though?

It combines the worst aspects of Gentoo and Debian, then serves that dumpster fire with a side of developer indifference and shit community. Arch is what you use when you're too incompetent to use Gentoo but not lazy enough to use Debian.

Even those are out of date.
Rolling release > stable scrubs

You have to go back.

Did any of you fags figure out how to get baldies working yet

I like stable.

You know I'm right, nigger. It's composed of a vast horde of kiddies who think they're leet because they know how to read a wiki (You), a smaller but still very present contingent of people who didn't even bother to read anything but the Install Guide, and a tiny minority of actually competent people who are burnt out trying to help the other two categories and just tell them to RTFM even when there's a legitimate issue.

Arch is garbage, even without getting into architectural issues.

Doing that shit isn't going to be enjoyable if you don't literally have full blown actual Autism Spectrum Disorder. Gentoo is a Real Autist Distro. Try Mint or something for mentally normal people if you actually want to get something done.

I've used Void once, and aside from some issues with ALSA (including an error message I couldn't find a single search result for) it was probably the most pleasant Linux distro I've ever used. The system used barely any RAM and booted up in 11 seconds on a hard drive. If I wasn't hoping to do /agdg/ shit I would have kept it and tried unfucking my ALSA setup, and I still recommend it as a less retarded alternative to Arch if you want a comfy rolling release distro.

I have an alias set up so I can type "xsearch [package]" and find what I'm looking for. Then I install it.
Meanwhile on Windows I have to open my browser, search a website for an installer, possibly dodge spyware tricknology if I'm a dumb normalfag with ads enabled, download an .exe, open it, read through and approve an EULA, maybe dodge more spyware trying to install itself, and then close the installer.

You sound like someone who truly surveyed and appreciated the depth of the GNU/Linux world and didn't just install Ubuntu/Mint once and toss it in the trash because it wasn't what you were used to.

Void, at least on principle, is nice. runit works very well and xbps is an excellent package manager. It's like a much improved version of Arch.

However, if you need to install anything that isn't in the repos, good fucking luck. Anything that uses OpenSSL or a package that doesn't share a name with the Ubuntu repo is fucked. Definitely not ideal for vidya.

So the solution to these problems is to goto a distro with even more of these kinds of people.

Are you retarded? There is going to be those newfags in what ever distro you go with unless the learning curve is big enough like gentoo.
At the same time while you complain about how arch is full of retards you've decided to lower yourself to going to an easy to install and use distro witch i garentee has a shit ton more of those people you that are complaining about.

I wasn't aware that using computers was an opportunity for you to show off to the nonexistent crowd of normalfags who care about your expertise at configuring X.

My only regret is that wallhaven are cucks who hide the anime tiddies behind registration.

Are you a normalfag?

I'm sure you'll say so. I enjoy using Debian stable, make of that what you will.

Are you trying to make yourself look retarded? Fuck off and stop ruining a Wine/Linux thread with your faggotry.

All of them. Individual trouble shooting for every single game is ridiculous. I'll probably have to deal with this shit once DX11 is dropped though. Virtualization better not be a meme.

Here's a question to forget some of the shitposting.
I'll admit: I'm a casual linux user. I got Ubuntu in my laptop because I couldn't get my dock to work with Fedora, Mint, or Arch. But I draw, shitpost, and listen to music fine. I just don't really follow the news for it.

So! What the fuck is Wayland and why is everyone hyping it over X? Is it just X hitting a giant wall due to keeping legacy things? And will Wayland make gayma
n easier?

I wasn't the one who complained to a gentoo user about his distro.
But sense you want to talk about wine, hows 2.6 on your non-rolling release distro?

x is old and people are still hoping for something else despite the fact that it will never come.

Do Wine and F/SN Realta Nua get along?

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=499
seems like it works.

Wayland is a display protocol defining how a display server should talk to applications. It will benefit developers and the security-conscious more than casual users, but one nice thing is that you get fancy composition without extra latency.
Fedora is using it by default now and other distros are planning to follow suit eventually. You can still run X11 vidya in it through XWayland with a single-digit FPS loss, but a lot of Linux software and games are built using libraries that already support Wayland so you won't have to worry about that much.

32-bit 2.6 is already available through PlayOnLinux, I'm just waiting for the regularly late 64-bit build to come up tomorrow.

I only missed some doujin/indie games from the Windows XP era, but latest WINE updates now let me play Iji (at least the old version, haven't tried the new one yet) and Castlevania, the Lecarde Chronicles. Even Diablo 2, Eternal Daughter and AM2R work, so I guess nothing, except for the Streets of Rage Remake (Akuji the Demon and Pekka Kana 2 still run fast as fuck and I don't know why)

Some old games I've played that run fine under WINE:
System Shock 2
Thief Gold
Thief II
Deus Ex GOTY Edition
Arx Fatalis
Morrowind GOTY Edition
VtMB
Dark Messiah

Just install Arx Libertatis or compile it yourself: it runs natively on Linux and adds useful shit like widescreen support.

Thanks for the list mate, just got back from the Outside.

being retarded, depressed and having aversion to change is keeping me on windows

I still can't get vanilla Dawn of War to work through Wine, for one thing.

Ubuntu is really easy to use, user. It even got a new release today.
If you're really worried, you can dual boot. The installer offers to set it up for you.

Tried dual booting on an old laptop but failed, installed Mint over it but didn't really bother to figure out how to install shit, it seems too obtuse for me. I'm afraid I'll run into some weird technical driver problems or something and won't know how to deal with it. I'll stick to Windows 7 until it becomes unusable.

Holy fuck I have no idea how I fucked up the Linux Mint install. Was it because I used Rufus to create a bootable flash drive?

I mostly burn bootable CDs and DVDs, so I wouldn't know.

How about someone post a game screenshot they are playing, ON a linux OS? It was a nightmare for me.

Recalling a year ago, playing M&B on linux required installing 10+ libraries, some of which didn't even exist on the repository or whatever. GoG said "need this library, that one" on the game's requirements, but it didn't list ALL of them needed. I went to the forums for a week asking around which packages would help, tried tons of libraries, x86 and the 64 or whatever varients. The game was still missing the attack sounds when you do an attack, there's a woosh sound on every weapon that was missing. It just irked me.

Then I tried to run the windows install or something via WINE. Don't make me dig those muddied memories out of my brain. That failed miserably and I gave up. Sorry linux, it sucks that I still play games, otherwise you'd be a nice OS. Not that i'd need anything it has though, like f.lux or redshift or whatever, that works in windows too :^).

Can linux even run DOS games or emulators besides dolphin? WINE helps with emulators? Possibility in the future?

Dark Messiah.

Well i decided to try wine 2.6 on my side bitch ssd and i got CEMU running bretty gud, the only thing wonky is the fullscreen mode which sometimes works and others just doesn't

It's not bad at Dota

will it run bayonetta?

That's pretty cool. Do you need a beefy rig to play wiiu games?

not exactly but i'd say mid tier pc's from the past 4 years will work well, i ve seen $50 cards like the hd 7850 running Mario Kart 8 pretty well

I have some questions. Dolphin emu let's you play wii games, some work with a regular controller, others require nunchucks to play properly. How does the Wii U work? I'm trying to remember, its a little hand-held screen with accelerometer motion detection right? So how do you play games without a motion controller?

When Wine doesn't work, do you generally try VMs? If not, why?

aww shit

So far you can emulate stuff like blowing on the mic or leaning the controller using keys for Wii U, but it's kind of hard

The Wii version of Twilight Princess had a fishing minigame and you were supposed to waggle your nun chuks to get fish out of the water, this could be done on keyboard via keypresses but was really hard to do well

That's a retarded question because Linux can run any software as long as it has been ported to it. DOSBox has been ported to Linux and works fine. As for other emulators, that's up to their respective developers. The problem is when people write their software exclusively for one platform with no considerations for portability. The code will be full of assumptions that hold true on their system (e.g. Windows) but not necessarily on others, and getting rid of those can be a real pain.

Still having issues, black screen on LinuxMint 18.1 after 5 seconds of looking at the desktop.

Maybe my hardware is giving the OS issues? Resolution issues could explain the black screen but not the boot errors. I wrote LMCinnamon 18.1 to flash drive in disk image mode with Rufus. Currently in the process of stockpiling solutions from the internet, most of the information is from 2016 though.

WINE is for faggots. If the software doesn't have a native GNU/Linux port, it's not worth using.

Wine/GNU/Linux is truly a masterful experience.

You can do better, but I'd never tolerate worse.

Anyone know how to fix Dark Souls 1? Never beat it.

Install Windows Media codecs.

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31379

Feels ghetto as fuck, but it works surprisingly well, all things considered.

TY

I think I found the solution, have to disable secure boot. Just to make sure, after I switch to Linux Mint will I have to reinstall all my videogames and steam?

Secure boot disabled, IOMMU enabled, most of the error messages are gone except for Radeon 000.1.000 invalid rom contents, still black screen. Running from flash drive Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1. Surfing the web for answers. Feel free to post suggestions. GPU is R9 390 8GB.

Found a web page, apparently my graphics card is not supported well.
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=232343

Well crap.

If anything I consider this a very nice learning experience, I'll just use Linux on older hardware like my near ancient laptops from high school. So yeah, hopefully my posts can help others with 390s.

Funnily enough, I just remembered I have a trashed desktop my friend brought from the barracks when he was summoned. It has no OS or hard drive and I happen to have an empty 500GB HDD.

TBH I just use Arch because it's the best option for a stripped down OS. I want to start as close to a blank slate as I can reasonably get while still being usable so I can build up the OS I want to use. Arch is exactly that, and AFAIK, it's the ONLY thing that fits that niche.

Why are you implying that its games and not the fact that there is no decent alternative? Linux is retarded asinine garbage.

those calves are fucking massive. I hate shit artists

Am I a freedom hating commie if I use a distro with systemd?

You're already a komrade for using Free Software.

You should be more worried about systemd adding extra bloat and bugs to your computer, though.

You disgust me.

Hello yes this is Holla Forums,

Install manjaro with XFCE.

Thank,

Holla Forums

I just installed Manjaro even though I'm pretty new to loonix. My first distro was Mint, I learned about packages and repositores but I was running 17.3 and didn't feel safe, felt vulnerable. Decided to install Manjaro because rolling release, it's less stable but I like having updates come soon instead of waiting ages.

I'm still pretty new but I'm feeling bold, I almost want to ditch windows entirely and use wine. I've successfully used wine in Mint, not as complicated as I htought it'd be. Just install wine tricks and whichever files the game requires. Although I tried running a mod on a game and wine didn't recognize the fily type and it crashed. But there are games like GTA V that don't run on wine and I'm still gonna need windows plus fuck having steam on my linux.

What icons are you using? I'm using Arc but it didn't change my sound icon.

I finally got League to run on Linux and not run like total ass.

what a waste of time

Kill yourself :)

>Retard that falls for the neetux ponzi scheme is the one that plays LOL
JEJ

Its alright, Gordon. We can't see the full last name.

Every time I get a fresh Windows install I get really pissed off and want to switch to Linux. Then I get things set up the way I like and realize Linux would take much more effort for a smaller pay out.

The only reasonable alternative to Windows is dual booting. This hasn't changed in the last 15 years and I don't see any reason to believe it will. If you are a casual gamer who only ever plays a couple of games that happen to run fine on wine/native linux you are just an exception. There are people who only use a tablet PC and are happy with it, but you don't see them going around trying to convert people to their side.

Depends on the Distro and your hardware. Newer hardware wants to fucking railroad you into Windows in any conceivable way. I have to use a fucking bootloader disc to access Debian since every other method failed and instantly boots Windows.

Sell me, someone who does nothing but play video games and browse the internet, on linux

Shit's blazin fast and you are the system's god
Also the repo's are great for installing required libraries and stuff.
However if you try to install something that isn't in the repo it turns into the kind of things you used to do to set up pirated shit where you had to manually copy the crack and run 5 thousand keygens and then search around as to why the insataller is just giving out a weird error and crashing face first into the cement while it turns out you were just pressing the wrong key but you couldn't tell because the rip you downloaded was in slavrunes or something.
If you don't mind having that kinda adventure every once in a blue moon then Linux is great.

I remember it being pretty bad when I checked it too, there are emulators with better game compatibility databases.

Ok who else has tried their pirated games ? I tried installing toukiden 2 and the fitgirl installer crashes due to some library error.

Then I tried running the version I already installed on windows and it crashes at the beggining I will try that solution for dark souls that was posted above and update. Maybe that will fix it. Dark sole 3 also has this issue.

Being a killer instinct fan is suffering

More like half the time. But I actually enjoy the fix linux game, because I know I can always dual boot and play the game on windows anyway

Has anybody tried steamOS as desktop OS?
Seems to me it might be the best linux to have your graphics cards work right away as well as controller support and what not.
Given I like debian I was thinking about just installing steamOS.

it's just debian with steam, if you want some packages from steamos, you can add them in yourself if you really wanted to.

The main problem I have with games that don't "just werk" in linux is that the fifteen minutes I spend getting it to work are usually more fun and fullfilling than the game itself.

Doesn't it have graphic card drivers better integrated? Kinda like ubuntu has/had (been a while). Installing the graphic card drivers was always a bit annoying.

I have a windows 7 partition for if there's something that absolutely won't work on wine (the unoptimized bullshit that is planetside 2), but most of what i've been playing lately works well or even has native support.

Hoever I do notice a dramatic difference in performance, I wonder if I used a better grafix card it would be less dramatic of a difference (I use gt430 which was lower-tier when it came out five centuties ago)

Turns out it didn't like running off another partition drive. Installing it directly to my wine prefix (C) made it work.

CPU usage is high though, more than i'd expect as just overhead. Wonder why that is.

Nice one, Gordon!

What is a distro that just werks that's systemd free? I can't find any ubuntu based distros without it. Trisquel doesn't have it I think, but the last major release was 2014 and I don't know if it's at least getting security updates.

I love clementine

you will want multiple computers eventually since it's a pain to close everything you're doing to switch OS

RX470 drivers
Xorg not playing nice with my monitor-video card combo
SystemD dependencies forcing me to use an older kernel because I refuse to update

Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and… shine. Not that I… wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until… well, let's just say your hour has… come again.

i'm trying to run melty blood on a mac but it keeps crashing when it tries to install xvid,
if i try to run without codecs i get pic related. is there anything i can do to fix this?
sorry for being a faggot

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

I finally have mint 17.3 not shitting itself running the way I want it to, but I just can't be assed to try and play my vidga on it. This is mainly because all of my games were installed on a 1TB harddrive to save space on my windows boot SSD. All I want to do is just run that shit on my 1tb HDD and not install shit on my linux SSD.

does winetricks work on mac ? id so you can try on a terminal

winetricks -q xvid

It will install xvid to your wine config and maybe you will pass that step

Being as I'm not some neet with no marketable skills it isn't games that are keeping me on windows.

Ok so for the record after this milestone release i am able to run the grand total of

1 game
1 emulator

that i couldn't before, back to windows for another year

will gallium nine ever get upstreamed?

What games are you trying to run,did you look them up on the appDB?
You arent just launching the binary with wine and then giving up because it doesn't immediately work out of the box right?

Make sure your .wine folder (your wine "installation" instance) is a 32-bit version.

You can have multiple wine "installs" if you wish but the easiest way would be to follow this: askubuntu.com/questions/177192/how-do-i-create-a-32-bit-wine-prefix

Turns out that I was using the stock Nivdia drivers instead of the proprietary ones which are better on Nvidia.

I am trying to launch Dark Souls 3 but it fails to boot, Toukiden 2 fails to boot after trying some winetricks shit

just do

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=[path_to_new_wineprefix] winecfg

The folder must not exist wine has to create it

example:

winearch=win32 wineprefix=/home/gordon/.wine32 winecfg

everytime you want to do something with this new wine prefix you will need to specify it first in the command line, or delete the old prefix if you want this to be the main one

My previous experiances with Linux havent been great

I just don't see it being worth the hassle when it doesn't seem to have any advantages over my pirated Windows 7

sudo pacman -S nvidia

That's literally it.

Nigger are you running the same fucking install?

No, he wasn't. He was implying that while his distro worked, he windows did it better than his linux distro.

To clarify, by "Better" I really just mean easier and I didn't have any real reason to boot into linux

Counter-Strike…. Metal Tacos?

ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER etc.