Strange and Deep SMT thread

Let's talk about the re-release of Strange Journey
or maybe we can ignore it and just play Strange Journey since it da bes out of all of the Shin Megami Tensei games aside from 2 and 3.

fun fact, all the chanting in Strange Journey is just variations on jack frost's "Hee Ho" thing.

Fuck it, it's an SMT thread

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/w1f1qx3z7cf0rc4/Shin Megami Tensei.smc?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/2pbd65jcm0cxpd4/Shin Megami Tensei II.smc?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/e83k2zaxc1sgxjz/Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei.smc?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'd fuck Jack Frost

I've been meaning to get into this series for a while. anybody have an infographic detailing witch english versions are the most faithful translations to help me get started?

you'd freeze your dick off, he's basically a tiny snowman.

Maybe I'd feel something again

Why is magic so shit on MC in SJ? Sword/Gun are lightyears ahead.

We already have this very same thread

Does anyone have an archive of the time Holla Forums played Shin megami tensei nocturne?

SMT MCs are traditionally shit at magic. The only reason to spec in it at all is if it doubles as magic defense. Otherwise, crank up physical stats

All these Hes and you chose to be a Ho.

I don't get the point of Deep Strange Journey's extra content, especially since a waifu looking girl in tights is leading it when the original was uh, avoiding that stuff as far as I've played anyway.

Are they changing much of the gameplay or is it just a modern remaster apart from the extra content?

What are ya, pedo?

In smt 3 i flooded magic with points and got mana drain. It was fucking hilarious to drain all the bosses mana and made them completely useless. I also had MC play healer and debuffer. MC with mana drain, daisoujou, garuda with mana drain and a physical demon. I think im gonna play it again soon.

…Wonder if it's just your party giving manly chants.

Why do I get the feeling that the new girl in Deep Strange Fantasies is going to be shitty waifu bait or set up for bonds route 2.0? Also is that Hard-Type hack for 3 good or does it do what every fucking romhack does to make it "harder" by just stacking the deck as hard as it can against the player?

Play it with the hard mode hack.
Gives more spells and a higher mp yield universally and makes pierce work with magic too.

Yes, overall demons have more skills on them meaning when you fuses there's more potential inheritance skills.
The extra MP makes using magic a lot more viable and the added skills are either early game weak skill + debuff or some godly like level 80 skill with no in between though.
If there was an issue the way it handles buffs and debuffs is retarded.
You can only go to +2 in buffs but -4 in debuffs and enemies can be +4 in buffs but only -2 in debuffs, feels a bit too try hard in trying to make the game harder, I get it's the hard-type but it doesn't feel as fair in nocturne when you lose when you could only set yourself up to half what you want but they can drop you by double of what you can to them..

I think it's gonna be just some waifu bait. The only change I could tolerate would be making the item command dependant on agility. The protagonist being able to use an item before everyone can act was pretty cheap at times. I hope there's no retarded retcon like the one they're probably going to do with radiant historia. The new waifu has a fucking airship in a game where there were no fucking airships. That can only end badly.

no thanks

SMT 1 and 2.
The music for SMT1 is godly compared to SMT2.
2 has the issue you may feel lost at times and there are many things that aren't hinted at all. 2's dungeons are also way larger than SMT1's (excluding it's final dungeon). This can be a drag.
Overall I liked 1 better. The setting for SMT2 was pretty great but I don't know how they could fuck up that bad with the music. I cared more for the SMT1 heroes as well and they were mute compared to SMT2's heroes.
SMT1 Pascal >>>>> SMT2 Pascal

For smt 1 and 2 you need the ordens patches.
dropbox.com/s/w1f1qx3z7cf0rc4/Shin Megami Tensei.smc?dl=0 < SMT 1
dropbox.com/s/2pbd65jcm0cxpd4/Shin Megami Tensei II.smc?dl=0 < SMT 2
Enjoy my dude.

And here's Megami Tensei 1 and 2 on SNES in a single game.

dropbox.com/s/e83k2zaxc1sgxjz/Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei.smc?dl=0

The change to the buffs/debuffs is seems fucking retarded to me and at best just forces you to rush demons with dekaja and dekunda, I can only imagine how much of a miss-fest Matador must be without deka. I do like the sound of magic being worth a shit and demons having more skills to play around with however. Might give it a shot sometime.

I wouldn't put it pass Atlus making some dumb retcon or locking an ending behind DLC. I guarantee you there will be forma/exp/macca grind and "real difficulty" DLC. Personally I wouldn't mind a few more demons being able to mark the map with icons and shit. But does SJ even need a remake, Its hardly dated and hell the old design are way fucking better.

Really you can hop on at any point. Just pretend that SMT4 and 4 Final don't exist as they are irredeemable shit. Soul Hackers is the best game

forgot to post this as well.

I've seen this list so many times and this has always rubbed me the wrong way.

The PSX version is the definitive version of SMTI and II, right? Albeit untranslated?

No, it's loading is cancer.
All you miss from the ps1 version is an optional boss fight that gets you a demon you've sadly already out leveled the usefulness of.

DO NOT SEXUALIZE THE JACK FROST

So stick to SNES version. Kinda good to hear, but I was hoping that the PSX version added enough new content to warrant replaying it. SMTI is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time.

On another note, this really needs updating, especially the Devil Survivor 2 section. It wasn't an epilogue that got added, it was more like an entirely new game. Well, expansion pack would be a more fitting term, I guess. Hinako best girl, Fumi is a close second.

I'd say always take any guide list with a grain of salt. I really wouldn't recommend P3 or 4 as a starting point at all Then again I wouldn't recommend P4 at all but thats just me but the chart has some alright information.

Also the music on the PS1 version is fucking ass compared to SNES version.

Also how's the Imagine private server coming along? I've had a really big urge to play that shitty game again recently.

The girl leads to a new alternate ending, so the content will be pretty much the same if you ignore her. My problem is with the art and the fact they are making the game easier with this remake (you are allowed to save anywhere now for instance).

Is there a tutorial online on how to use the patches?

How can i play the game with this file?

Persona was a fucking mistake and anyone who still praises it should commit sudoku

I wonder how they will work social links into this game.

take all the alignment questions and make them about dating instead, then give you a token alignment choice near the end.

so remake it into SMT:Apoc?

Fuck you, I don't want to play soduku, I would rather commit 切腹 than play that game. Also Persona ain't that bad, stop being a h8ter for nice things, maybe persona 3,4 and 5 waifuing is the only light in the tunnel?
But its not as bad as lets say #FE that shit pissed me off, it was not even a megaten game, it was just Persona in an idol setting.

Because you're right. The owlbro demon is a demon that "reconciles friendships."

You should have read what it changed user. The creators listed all the changes and tweaks on the page for the hack. It isn't just "fuck you, all enemies have double damage and HP" It actually mixes the game up in a pretty fair way.

anyone know how much more hours is smt 4? ive played like 80+ hours and the plot still keeps expanding and not in a good way. i just want it to end. i dont want another one in my backlog

Tell us what you are going to do next and then someone can tell you how much longer you have.

So basically SMT3 but with 4's rules and skills and less bullshit RNG shit?

I can dig it.

ive found out about the black samurai and she wants me to find tayama again to find his shameful secret. i have a feeling i have a long way to go

Poor modern gamers, they'll get stressed if they lose progress! Fuck that.

And I'm still going to get that extra ending because I've already 100%'d SJ on my DS. I really hope they won't lock it behind a DLC or make it into some ridiculous bullshit.
By the way, is soul hackers a sequel to the saturn game or a remake?

So it's gonna be a neutral route 2.0 where you can save zelenin and jimenez? There's no way that won't feel cheap.

Exactly.

It will be meaningless. The neutral route is all about taking matters into your own hands and fight with the power of humanity alone. If there's gonna be some human-looking non-human waifu bait (probably a tsundere too because atlus has terminal shit taste) and some magic demon that will help you out it's not the human route anymore. It's just a route where an altruist (until his motives can be established) demon helps you out getting all the hate from law and chaos factions.
I don't buy it. It makes no sense.

I'm pretty much counting on fuckery or beach DLC :^). I really need to get around doing lawfag route and hidden boss in SJ.

Its a sequel to the first Devil Summoner, don't think it's a direct one however. 1st one will never ever get a translation anyway, just like If…

How the hell are they going to bullshit this one.

re release? Does it have anything new?

Anyway strange journey is not really good. I played it out of boredom but it's really repetitive

SJ's hidden boss isn't that big of a deal. Just like the final boss. If it's not your first playthrough, it's not difficult because you can get demons over your level and have access to the best equipment. Since the extra boss can't be accessed on a first playthrough, it's not really difficult to beat. It's just a pain to get to him because it's basically doing the whole Sector Grus all over again.

And if… won't ever get a translation because the faggot who was 'almost done, just fixing minor bugs' with it lost it and won't admit it. In other words, he took that project hostage.

The full kagutsuchi encounters are interesting. Kind of like mini bosses that give nice XP and items when you kill them. Some of them are waaaay overtuned though.

Like the uzume in ginza tunnels, that comes in with 2 little fuckers who just spam magic up, or mazan on your entire group, while she does the same thing but also uses hama. And if you kill her 2 little buddies she spawns a demon way above your level that will 1 shot you.

I had no chance of defeating that encounter, so I just wormed my way out of an encounter on 8/8 kagutsuchi.

You still have quite a bit to go. If you really aren't liking it you'll be happy to know there's a fourth ending you'll be able to reach before the three normal ends.

I really hope its not shit.

To be fair, they and 2/3 of the crew were giant faggots. The 8th day of DeSu:OC basically turned the demon king ending into P4 level power of friendship ending and the original game was already chaosfag wankfest. My beef with SMT was its Lucifer cock sucking. The original MT basically made Lucifer into the Messiah. While the smirk system sounded retarded, I don't see the problem with Lucifer being controlled opposition in SMT4/4A (his design in SMT4 was still retarded but his gold form looks pretty cool) considering that SMT1/2 (I don't remember which) implied that Lucifer was a reverse Piccolo.

Lady Lucifer played a role similar to that. If I were to do this idea, I would have the MC remember the events the previous playthrough and change the outcome in a certain extent. While the combat and dungeon crawling might need improvement, I would also like to see the demon negotiations improve too (maybe have status effect or HP affect negotiations). Have enemies do demon co-op or hybridize it with elements of press-turn? Stop limiting status effects like bomb and strain to enemies abilities.

They are adding dexterity. Why? The stat system seems pretty balanced already. What does dexterity even do?

So when's Lucifer Dick

Heard about Deep coming out, and decided to finally play my copy of SJ that I've had sitting around for a year to prepare. I waited too long on this game, holy fuck. I love it so much. I only just finished Sector Antlia and I think it's already in the running for one of my favorite games of all time. Since I'm still barely into the game yet, are there any tips or quirks I should be aware of going in? I love the SMT games I've played, but from what I've seen there are a lot of instances of optimal or "intended" builds for the MC that will fuck you over if you don't do it right (like the fact that building magic in SMT1 will fuck over your main character royally). Any noob tips or pitfalls I should be aware of? For the most part I want to go in blind, but I want to avoid anything that might ruin the experience.

FUCKING
BRING IT

I remember playing DDS and having my ass handed to me within the first ten hours or so, is the game that hard or was I doing something wrong?

Learn to love the grind. Save often. You will die a lot. I never finished the game since I went Law and the final boss was too difficult and I didn't have buffs. Shit's hard. I will pirate this and try to beat it again since it's easier.

Is it true Aleph is constantly being reincarnated just to watch everything fall apart around him as punishment for betraying YHVH or is that just stupid fanlore?

FUCKING FUCK. I love this Artstyle.
Why did we ever have to abandon it? Did they hire a different artist?

I'd seen this before playing SJ and thought it was impossible maze like crazy. But its really all very simple and easy when you play the game.

That's Kazuma's work, he used to be the lead artist for almost all their work and one of the co founders of Atlus, he still works there and helps design demons but due to purse ownerfags outnumbering SMTfriends it's generic anime artstyle has taken over.
Shame Kaz's work is superior.

I think they must have tuned up his AI script. Fucker loves to do Focus, Taunt, Dekunda Taunt, Andalucia, Andalucia. Full wiping or nearly fully wiping, even with full kaja and attempting to debuff him.

I basically had to get lucky and have a go at him where he didn't combine Andalucia with either taunt or dekunda in the same turn or it was game over. Also dervish is so fucking annoying it made me have to fuse 4 force immune people.

I prefer the SFC style. I don't know why Kaneko felt the need to mess with his own perfection.

I think Kaneko was actually just hired early.
Then again, info on Atlus' co-founders is scarce so I can't be sure.

Dude you fucked up, you dekaja him and sukunda twice to fuck up his AI script so that he just casts dekunda+red capote over and over and over.

Also welcome to that shitty hard mode patch, literally it's number bloat and crit bloat the game. I really wanted to like it because of all the QoL changes, but then they just do random shit for no reason.

Fuck that, according to heretic mansion, 21 is earliest you can get dekaja on a demon, my MC was 20, and demons 17ish, and I already felt I was over leveled. Not gonna grind that shit out.

Got the win without cheesing him, scald was nice to keep damage pressure on him, while debuffing him and making him waste turns with dekunda every now and then.

Yeah it just came down to pure luck, look at that hard mode!

I mean I beat him first try after I got scald, it was close though, and I did get a bit lucky.

Scald helped a lot. Honestly the Uzume Full Kagutsuchi, encounter felt more bullshit, but I only tried that like twice and decided to skip it. Fucking bitch summon some dude that hits you with an attack that does 300 damage, when my MC with several points in VIT has 180 HP. In the same turn so you can't even debuff her.

I mean I get you are suppose to kill her before she does that, and I could probably do it if I actually tried to, but no point.

It's a bit of a moot point, the issue was that basically the only real way to reliably beat enemies with no RNG is abusing the AI.
God I hate shitty patches like that, "hey we have a ton of QOL changes, but lets add in some shit that makes the game worse overall"
Oh also later enemies crit fucking constantly because of the luck change, but they didn't really adjust the crit values a lot

I'm sure you're not wrong, but I'm not exactly dumping huge amount of time into this, just few hours tops every now and then when I'm bored to give it a go. The HP scaling bit has me worried though as it's already starting to get annoying.

Back to the Matador thing, I know back in regular game, lots of people would grind to lvl 20+ for matador, as that basically gives you the HP sweet spot to survive a bad round of bullshit from him, which would have been same in my case, my demons with 30~ more HP would have been able to survive his onslaught much easier and recover and keep fighting.

And I mean, abusing boss AI and getting lucky has been around in Nocturne and SMT for a very long time, only way to minimize it is to grind a shit load, and that is boring, time consuming, and kind of takes the fun out of it.

Yeah that's exactly my point, it is boring and time consuming. But that's near what you're required to do because of "lol hard mode"

Did you focus on getting the devouring skills? I think DDS is actually a bit easier than the other SMT games.

Except she only nudged you towards the path and never had a direct link to it until the end where Lucifer shows up to say good job.She never played a direct part in what you were doing, you just did it.
That's retarded because A: then it's suddenly not accessible to anyone who hadn't played SJ or B:Then you'd be doing only having new content after you beat the game, soul hackers just offered you to load a save to run the extra content through, not have you play through the entire thing again but this time steam rolling it till something happens, but that's a good idea so don't expect it.
You have a map, you're told where to go clearly and you move pretty fast across the maps, what's wrong with the dungeon crawling.
Really nigga.
Got to push SMT4 cancer into everything.
Dex makes Str worthless, it boosts gun, physical attacks and skills more then Str can per point so just having more Dex = More damage.

Lucifer reveals a certain character from nocturne suffers from what you stated for commiting the 'ultimate sin' (or something similarly ominous-sounding). Aleph temporally killed YHVH at the end of SMT2 so it's heavily implied it's him.

I beg to differ. Lucifer embodies the freedom aspect from Chaos better than any other chaos NPC you will ever find. What Lady Lucifer did wasn't altruistic at all. She just nudged you back towards the neutral or chaos path whenever there was too much law bullshit going on. She tried to never interfere much. The time when she appeared to the whole crew was after the 3 wise men basically told everyone 'go law because it's the only way' to present the other possible route.
The only time you actually make Lady Lucifer worry is when you are about to ressurect Demiurge.
Please no. Strange Journey had no time travelling/alternate reality/dream reality bullshit and there's no need to add some now.

I have no idea what this new woman is going to do.

I meant if they are going to do the save your faggot friends ending, just turn those weird dream sequences into a plot device or something.

I want to be able to draw the map like in EO so that I don't have to step on every poison tile to complete it.

I understand why they did this demon co-op system. Press-Turn can be overpowered. Demon co-op is harder to setup with less reward but enemies can't do it. So how does someone make a combat system were the enemies can also affect you?

The reason why I put up with the randomly allocated stats is because how well rounded the stats were. I thought Dex only improves Gun which already bothers me. What the fuck does Str improve in SMT4?

Yes, yes. Lucifer doesn't force you but I doubt this new girl would either.

A guy who creates a new almost stronger demon than himself, that he does not control, in order to murder the Great Will… is controlled opposition?

And you think this is fine? Fuck off and die.

That's not the impression she gives me. The few lines of dialogue they let you hear in the trailers has her telling someone harshly to 'go die'.
Here you can see her being shoe horned as soon as sector B, and she seems to be angry at the main character for some reason.
So far, the impression she gives me is that of an self-righteous angry girl.
Why is she mad? I don't know. By that point in the story the main character has killed morax and gotten his rosetta but maybe she's angry at the team as a whole for going into the Schwartzwelt? I have no idea if I wrote that right

Let me give you your answer why.

If we are lucky, we are given the choice to gun down that demon on sight: I doubt she is even human, since you know, humans without a helmet die on the Schwarzwelt since the air is toxic

Except that it did.
Your future self fought Yggdrasil. Cu Chulainn visited his mom. The three wisemen came to you in a dream. Angel blocked the New Game Plus section.

Lucifer said that he used to be part of God. Also, Aleph > Demi-Nigger.

I'll watch that later but I can't understand moon.

So you don't have an answer. You know its retarded garbage, but you refuse to admit it. Then fuck off and die.

You can't save anywhere in P5.What a weird choice

Yggdrasil was just one side quest. I was referring to time traveling on a larger scale. Something akin to OoT, Radiant Historia, Chrono Trigger although I did phrase it wrong.
I don't understand the Cu Chulainn part and by dream reality I was talking about 'All this playthrough was just a dream! Now you can start over with this prior knowledge'.
I wouldn't call Angel blocking the New Game + section anything but a content block. The pillar was the same.
Anyways I still stand by my opinion that Strange Journey doesn't need to make the main character 'remember' its past playthroughs. That kind of thing never fails to feel cheap.

SMT3 already fucked with lore by being strongest yet only drawing with Lucifer at best while Aleph killed God.

If I'm being optimistic, I would think that it is a suspense save system (you can save anytime and it would exit the game but the save gets deleted when it is loaded.).

Fair enough. I'm just thinking of a way to minimize the new girl's role in the new ending. I would hate for another 8th day.
His mom was worried about him and went to the future to visit him. The quest was to contact Cu Chulainn to go see his mom (which is still a human).

It probably has something to do with it being in a handheld.

Drawing from previous examples when they add a new character into a story, they're shit and heavily forced into the plot no matter if you like it or not, bonus points for a re release adding them.
>He doesn't draw his own maps on graph paper so shitty nintendo formatting can't delete them all late game Fuck you nintendo you made me play through fucking persona Q and EO4 twice you cunts
The idea was is you're like an actual commander of the demons prompting these combo attacks, it's pretty much a low key almighty skill your character has to reward thinking about alignment, it's not strong enough that it can be compared to getting a full on extra attack like in press turn but it can balance how your character has a limited skill list potentially.
If you're referring to the MC it's not random, questions you answer at the beginning of the game decides your stat line, and you can sure bet one will give you optimal DEX, also a mitama which you can probobly password manipulate to cost 40-50 macca will add a good 16-20 into dex for pretty much nothing to make sure all your demons no matter what stats will have that lovely dex.
It improves your base non skill attack, but not as much as dex increases it but the dex stat also increases gun and physical/gun skills in general. Every change they make to their battle systems the dumber it gets

oh for fuck's sake when will atlus stop ruining everything I love
oh for fuck's sake i can already tell what a shit show it's going to be from your OP alone
oh jesus why do they want me to kill myself so bad?
strange journey, now with more anime, boobs, silly jokes, more jojo references than ever before, seven difficulty settings that are all still easy and almost impossible to die on

Since you keep coming back you must be a cuck.

Come on user, it has Marie 2.0! You know how much people love Marie. Every thread keeps having someone say "no marie no buy" in it so they have to add Marie to every game now!

It is pseudo-random. While the personality test increases the chance of a certain stat increasing, it isn't a fixed growth.
That sounds retarded. Why not just make Dex increase accuracy or something?
Is this about the gay story mode in EO or did Soul Hackers had some stupid shit added?

Soul Hackers was rather restrained, they only added a new postgame dungeon where you fight Raidou (and Raido) and the Soulless God from his first game.

He's a Brazillian-Brazillian in the US version, but all the nationalities switch around depending on what region the version is from. So in Japan, MC is a Jap, not a glorious and realistic burger.

VASTLY superior. It's like when you compare the new shitty artist who did the characters of the new Langrisser with the older one. I'm sure that, as the true fans of SMT are -aka people who played most of them and not only PE 3 and 4 - , he's also pissed at the shit that have taken over Atlus after Persona 3. In his case, he should be getting less work I assume, so to him it's even a monetary issue.

Hes getting dosh for strange journey deep, he did the redesigns.

How good is the DS emulator on Android? I've never played a Atlus RPG before and I feel like diving in balls deep with Strange Journey.

Its the best at the moment, until mGBA add nds support or MelonDS will take off. Desmume dev is faggot which butchered wi-fi support.

He's retired and gets paid for every game they use his designs in. If anything he wants more lazy rehashes.

lewl, you know she's gonna be Marie 2.0, enjoy getting all your fucking endings revamped to suck just for her to receive an exclusive game-prolonging route, new stratum, new meaningful bosses, extra Gore/Zel/Beanboy scenes and full satisfying conclusion. It's random atlus persona waifu time user~

This is game that is really close to a main line game. They wouldn't shove waifu shit in a setting were it doesn't belong, right? We will be able to kill her or play the original untampered story, right?!

Even IV:A at least killed your childhood friend and let you keep her dead. If they add a waifu character I hope they allow her to be not immune to consequences.

Probably. All the optional stuff added to 3DS releases of DS games by atlus has been optional. This applies to both DeSu and the EOUs, as well as Soul Hackers.

>mfw there will be no way to save him because even if you could ditch Marie 2.0 in his place he would be abused as a God and he doesn't want that and giving the girl Gore's brilliance instead of him would be a dick move

All three files linked to you are prepatched versions played through any SNES emulator. I just downloaded them and checked myself as I am also interested in the series origins.

Starting with Kyuuyaku 1 now.

Also I tried emulating SJ earlier, but it was running like dogshit. I didn't really feel like tweaking any of the settings. Will that actually make a difference or should I just go buy a copy?

He's retired? Where you got that info from? if it's true, it do explain some things.

Strange Journey IS a mainline SMT game. This port is one of the mainline anniversary projects, after all.

They already shoved Marie 2.0 in there. So you're way too late.

I've got a 3DS, a Wii U and a PC. What's the best way to go on a strange journey?

What that version of Desmume that upscales the resolution

With that*

After about 6 tries finally killed Hardtype Dante 1. After 1 shotting Thor and his goons.

Fuck him and his 99% crit rate rebellion. Once he started the provoke spam it was abandon ship balls to the wall offense, focus physical attacks, tornadoes going off left and right, demons dropping like flies. But got down to just MC left, and Dante had been limping for awhile, and got the final hit in before he could murder me.

There is just no way to save anyone that went demon since they are okay with their choices and don't regret it. Adding "the power of friendship to save my friends" would be so out of place. I like Jimenez and Zelennin but they made their choice and push they beliefs no matter what. The crew isn't even *that* close to beguin with.

Well, the thing is, all the additions on those games were basically more post-game.

SJ unlike other DS game ports has no post Final Boss State, so there is no real way she won't be shoved in while we are in the Schwarzwelt but if we are lucky, she will appear once and then be a really LONG sub quest you can just ignore that or give of the choice to play the Original SJ or the "upgraded" story, like DeSu 2 did with the Triangulum

I thought it wasn't a Main Line game because it was not set in Tokyo. At least if I recall correctly that it is why it is not SMT:IV

I think it just wasn't a big enough project to get a numbered title, but its mainline status is nonetheless obvious. Kind of like Peace Walker.