Roguelikes (and lites)

So, ive been playing Nethack (and i'm shit at it) and ive been screwing myself over by way of this Bones file where I kept spawning angry water demons and its now claimed 4 of my characters and the bones file is now an absolute deathtrap.

Wat do?

Other urls found in this thread:

thangorodrim.net/borg.html
sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My introduction to proper (?) roguelikes was Elona. And I liked it for what it was, but when after like 6 hours total worth of gameplay some random ass mob one shotted me reducing all my progress to zero I realized why so called "roguelikes" are so popular among kids these days - while giving you the similar thrill of perma-death they also respect your time as in you still get some sort of progression out of your play time even if you got killed.
Needles to say BOI and ROR are the best examples of this more or less new type of games.

If nethack is your first roguelike experience, maybe start fresh, delete the bones, and avoid quaffing from fountains (assuming that's how you got the demon). If you want to stay legit, maybe skip the bones area and come back to it later.

I know it's not a strict roguelike but tales of majeyal is pretty good, especially if nethack is kicking your ass
I love nethack, but it's a pretty brutal trial and error start to roguelikes

The core mechanic defining roguelikes is unified turn based movement and actions. Random dungeons, permadeath, item interactions, etc. are all accessories.

Btw why is the Shiren the Wanderer series (or even Torneco No Daibouken) so amazing?

It has graphics and music?

Because facing is taken into account.

Elona is cool though, kind of a life simulator with roguelike gameplay. It only has permadeath if you're an idiot that selects the permadeath mode when you create your save file, the game has too many random shit and too much progression for that.

I was a long time ago, so maybe I did something dumb like that.

Yeah elona isn't conventional like that, you can do some crazy stuff like owning museums, farms and shit, but those take lots of investment.
The normal mode in elona has you "permanently" losing stats, gold and items, but other than that all progress is maintained.
I think the permadeath mode is there simply for an extra option, for advanced players that try to get high scores on a single life and shit.
There's a gene system in the game that I haven't messed with yet and I think you can continue from a permadeath world as a new character as a successor to your previous one, or something like that.

Elona sounds interesting. Anything I should know before getting into it?

Prepare to die often and all that.
The best part of it is figuring shit out, if you read guides or wikis you'll kinda ruin it for yourself.
So don't get too attached to your character and go explore.

Speaking of Elona, weren't there a bunch of text files for Elona+ that never got translated or something? Or did someone already get on that?

Calling all fellow cucks! What features were cut lately? Fork never ever

I've stopped following updates. Crawl devs are really fucking annoying the past year and .20 is going to be possibly the worst release.

There's a new Gnoll playable race made by a good dev, with a really stupid name that some faggot dev picked. Bultungin.

is Risk of Rain a good game?

how about forget the last and focus on the former instead? Nothing good can come out of something that has the word -lite at the end of end it

I just want a roguelike where I can control an army of dudes, kinda like Dorf Fort but with more options and less shitty updates/UI.

I'm doing that to specifically avoid the atomic autistic shitflinging that comes from people getting their g strings in a bunch over the Berlin Definition of what a roguelike is. That, and to make clear that, no, Rogue Legacy isn't a roguelike but we can discuss it since it does most of the shit Roguelikes like to do at a surface level

got to 20th level in brogue today. I had lot of hope for that character, but I was relying heavily on staves and unfortunately hod only come across one scroll of recharging and no recharging charms.

Technically every action game, such as Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, could be considered a roguelike by that definition. The game runs at however many frames per second, with one frame being one "turn". It's just that the turns happen continuously (like Crypt of the Necrodancer). It's even tile based, technically, since the backgrounds and engine are based on tiles. Hell, even a 1 px area could be considered a "tile".

I thought Roguelikes had to include the following?:

Just seeing the suffix made me want to write paragraphs of autistic screeching. But you're not an Indie™ Developer throwing labels around to trick steamfags into buying shovelware, so whatever.

Still, what exactly is Rogue Legacy supposed to have in common with Rogue? It's a cheap Castlevania knockoff with metaprogress. There are roguelikes with metaprogress (Japan likes it in their Mystery Dungeon games), but outside of player ghosts neither Rogue nor the major roguelikes (Angband, NetHack, DCSS, ADOM, etc.) have any kind of cross-game continuity; it's not a roguelike trait.

In order for a game to be a roguelike, it needs to be like Rogue. I don't know why people have trouble with this.

Are you using Elona+ or Elona Custom?
The latter is modded and is further translated.
I really need to go back to playing Elona. I found an artist that does touhou sprites.

people associate any game with procedural generation with roguelikes even if its technically wrong to do it. the marketing for indie games has been really effective at getting that buzzword out there in peoples mouths.

This is pretty stupid. I selected a spell and didn't have enough power so the attack was melee instead. I'm in the rhythm of doing Z-a continuously. It's so easy to make an accidental melee attack that way.
I'm just waiting until I get either a barbed devil or a dragon going down there. I'm the type of player that likes to go for Mine's End first but I think I'm going to be going straight to Sokoban from now on.

That game was comfy as fuck lads. Are the new ones for the 3DS worth it? I might pirate them now that I got sick homebrew memes in my 2DS.

fuck off, your comment doesn't add to the discussion in anyway, it's just an autistic "look, I'm so clever for seeing and pointing out all those thing that are obvious but don't matter at all"

What about Roguelite-likes, OP?

I'm kidding pls no bully

Also OG UMoria is pretty simple and will fuck your shit up. Later Angband releases got kind of wacky for me, too much junk added for the sake of putting it in there

Fellow cuck here. Cant stop playing 0.1.9 or whichever it was. From what I've read not even their forums like new updates

For a lot of the junk that's there, I find that there's a lot of nice things as a consequence- variant wise anyway. I think a good example of this would be Poschengband.

Super Mystery Dungeon is okay.

so how do you guys feel about auto-exploring in roguelikes? I personally think that well designed roguelike wouldn't need an auto-explore feature. I can pretty much auto-explore first 2 or 3 levels of brogue without much thinking, which I don't think is ideal.then again, it's the beginning of the game, so I guess it can be forgiven? I hear in dcss you can use auto-explore far into the game and that it even has auto-fighting feature? What is the point in such thing? wouldn't it be better to make encounters such that you have to use your brains and/or reduce the amount of trash mobs?

Play NetHack only if you like your artifacts getting rusty from being dipped in water. You would expect those to be already rustproof like in other roguelikes.

thangorodrim.net/borg.html

It's an old meme, nothing more.

ADoM and ZAngband that I still like to play are strict enough while not being as autistic as NetHack. I don't get why they have put in there the Sokoban puzzle, for example.

The auto-explore in Crawl is primarily there to enable their oddly shaped (smooth organic shapes, doors that can spawn next to other doors, corridors that are more than one tile wide, etc…) levels, which would be infuriating without the feature.

Compare this to Nethack, ADOM, or Moria which are primarily composed of rectangular rooms connected by single-tile corridors, usually of a special designation differing from other tiles. This allows their "run" feature to work better.

Crawl's auto-combat has a similar justification, namely a number of enemies (bats, for instance) that zip or (imps) teleport around chaotically, and also ranged targeting that allows aiming beyond the cardinal directions.

Of course, one can ask whether or not these features add anything if they often need automation to avoid being tedious.

Somewhat different from automation, IMHO, are convenience features, such as auto-navigation/mapping and item search, against which the primary objection is that remembering where things are is part of the game's challenge.

nethack was my first roguelike ascension 10 years ago, so it's hard for me to tell people to play a better one as their first. If one can make it through nethack's bullshit cryptic trial-and-error gameplay, they will appreciate so much more the improvements that every other roguelike has made since.

half of crawl's appeal to me is that I can "Tab-O" mindlessly for much of the game, and reserve careful planning only for encounters which can kill me. It saves time, it doesn't take away skill or reveal some kind of flaw with the game. Also settings macros for casting spells/abilities is fantastic. I can just hit F1 to select a common spell, auto-target, and fire instead of pressing 3 keys each time. Again, when you need precision for an encounter that might kill you, that's when you stop using any automated keys.

talking about crawl's positives is making me forget how cucked the devs have been the past year.

sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/

Well, this was the main reason I asked about this, sorry if it wasn't very clear. Tho' your explanation about the shapes of rooms having an effect is interesting.

to each his own, I guess. I just feel that if there's auto-attack feature, something has gone bit wrong in the design of the game.

Infra arcana is fun. Played it actually yesterday, got murdered by giant mantis few levels in. Farthest I've ever got in the game is level 18.