LAPTOP THREAD

Let's talk gayman laptops. More specifically, I need your opinion on 15.6" vs 17.3" for vidya and vidya devvan. Is it worth it going above 1080p? 1060 good enough or should I go for a 1070?

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-940MX.156033.0.html
logicalincrements.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I went for a 15, 1080p with 1070 simply because its more compact when traveling, but if you dont mind the size then you should probably go with 17"

Pure autism

I'm more into Tails or Yoshi

and as for 1060 vs 1070, it depends on how you want to play games. 1060 is for medium/ high settings whereas 1070 should run pretty much everything current at ultra. Im talking about 1080p of course, I wouldnt pick laptop with higher resolution simply because youll be sacrificing fps, but if you dont mind playing games at 30-40fps, then why the hell not, get 1440p monitor.

If I had one I'd probably like to have Elona on it.
Runs on super toasters and doesn't require internet, gamepad or a mouse to be played properly so you could play it anywhere.
Binding of isaac to I guess. I guess any keyboard only game that doesn't need internet is a good choice, so emulators are probably good too.

dubs

That said, you can buy a laptop for under 200 bucks that will play literally every good game there is. It's great.

Is this the gypsy again?

Seconded. I found a refurbished professional thinkpad for around that price I can play any good game I want. It's one from before the chiclet keyboards, too. It feels great

I'd accept that, if it wasn't for the fact that I need it for gamejams as well.

Dont get a gaming laptop. I fell for the meme a few years ago. Theyre heavy as shit, run pretty hot and have jack shit for battery life. Not to mention overpriced.

If you don't want to actually be able to play any games why not just get an Xbox Scorpio in a few months?

Just get a desktop.

I got a pretty nice $1100 laptop for around $700. 1 TB hard drive, 128 GB SSD, i7-6700HQ, Geforce GTX 960M, 15.6" monitor, 12 GB ram.

The downside is it came with Windows 10 and I don't feel like fucking around with it to install Windows 7 again.

Need a powerful desktop to handle all of those great modern titles right?
Fug right off. We live in an age where laptops can handle all good vidya pre-2007, why the fuck do you not have one? Morrowind, Doom, Myst, Quake, every RTS ever, emulators, all of the day bro.

I bought a new laptop recently and I've been questioning all my decisions as I can't find any games besides emulation. I don't know what I'm doing anymore Holla Forums

Have fun with your aliasing and poor frame rates.

Unless you're really a nu-male go for the bigger screen
Alright you're a nu-male.

Even the weakest of weak 5 watt x86 cpus can run all the classics. I love me some strategy/management/tactical games, personally. Off the top of my head:
Dungeon Keeper
Theme Hospital
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Transport Tycoon
C&C
Age of Empires
Age of Mythology
Age of Wonders
Stronghold Crusader
Warcraft
Starcraft
HoMM
Caesar
Zeus
Pharaoh
Settlers
Civilisation
Alpha Centauri
Sim City
Commandos
Panzer General

Reddit Alert

Check em

Haven't into PC gaming yet really, any place I could download those?

On a more serious note office notebooks are unironically the best there are for gaming. I don't mean low end stuff, I mean shit a suit would buy. Suits have cash and they get the best they can for work so normally when you get an office notebook you get a well built notebook with the highest end cpu/gpu/ram/whatever combo there is without any FUCKING MADCATZ-tier shit all companies that sell something with a decent gpu pull off.

wat

If you're amateur 1MA game takes hours to compile you're doing something wrong.

I already own a good desktop. I'm not even paying for this shit, my job is.

Really?

ASUS ROG branded laptops are fairly cheap given the specs on those
t. ASUS ROG laptop owner

Gaming laptops were notoriously shit before 2015. Today mobile i7 are virtually identical to their desktop counterparts (minus shit like an unlocked CPU clock) amd according to Nvidia a GTX 1070 and a 1070m are literally identical in every way

This is not a difficult question. Go to newegg laptops, filter for 'Windows 10' for OS and 'dedicated card' for graphic type and sort by price, low to high.

There will be a bunch of i5 6th and 7th gen laptops with a 940mx, for less then 500, probably around 450 or so, some of them refurbs (which normally isn't an issue, buy a warranty if you are concerned), and a bunch new for just over 500.

940mx can run Dolphin extreme well and will run most games extremely well for how much you spent. See source below.

notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-940MX.156033.0.html

Boom, cheap laptop that quite capable of gaming.

got that out of the way

Doesn't even exist, it's the exact same model designation and card as the desktop 1070.

What the hell are you trying to play exactly? 4k isn't worth it on a gaymen laptop in the most literal sense considering how much they cost. You want the largest possible real estate under 19" so get the 17". Also real gaymen laptops weigh a ton. Do you even lift? tl;dr get a fucking desktop you double nigger.

I already own a desktop, faggot.

You don't need a gaming laptop then. Gaming laptops (and I mean real ones and not that sub-1000 dollar crap) are really more like slightly more convenient desktop-replacements than portable machines. I bought a gaming laptop because I wanted desktop performance but I didn't have the desk space for a full desktop. Gaming laptops are hardly portable machines

DYEL?

Let's set the record straight on one thing. You are not talking about a laptop, you are talking about a portable desktop. A laptop doesn't have heat output that will sterilize you if you were to game for 8 hours straight with it on your lap. A laptop won't cook a marshmallow placed next to the thermal output vent.

Who the hell spends 8 hours with a laptop in their actual lap? That shit will absolutely devastate your back and shoulders.

The same dipshit that think a "gaming laptop" is a thing.

You can go all /g/-autism on me but buying a laptop without a discrete GPU is absolute autism.

not sure what laptop you have but I see space constraints.
wtf are you smoking? Is that suppose to mean something? You don't like the colors red, green, or blue? Sorry to say I don't speak retard.

What do you think is pictured in my post you dingus? Kill yourself.

According to Nvidia laptops and desktops now share the same parts as of the GTX 10 series. The main difference would probably be something like a slightly lower clock speed on the laptop parts for obvious reasons but that's it

Why not instead just buying a new desk with that money?

Someone fucking explain what a laptop is supposed to be? Is it Holla Forums leaking?

I prefer to call it robot watersports.

logicalincrements.com/
Have you any laptop with the same specs for the same cash?

My entire laptop uses less power than a desktop monitor alone.

Nah, they're too busy autistically screeching about muh open sores and vim vs emacs dickslapping.

Just got my mom the cheapest laptop there is (Celeron 1.60Ghz). It's amazing this thing is cheaper than a phone or tablet and far more useable.

I'm a ue4 dev, so it was really nice to see my game run on it, at 20fps it's just barely playable, but still playable. (Of course I wasn't using 'Maximum Quality' but mobile project settings)

This Tor user who keeps on harping about 5W Intel HD cheapos being able to run all the good old games is speaking the truth. I'm trying to make a good game too, hence I'm trying not to make a bloated POS. (Even though my desktop rig is an i5).

That doesn't really happen anymore. Mostly because everyone came to realize that emacs is a disgusting bloated mess. Just like its creator.

So that's why you would dev on a piece of shit too?

OP i cannot stress this enough. If you want a computer for video game development for the love of God in heaven don't buy a laptop, if you buy the absolute most powerful laptop today, it'll work ok ( not really that great) for a year and a half, maybe two, then it'll start chugging like your sister after a cum swallowing contest. Laptop hardware is subject to much worse ventilation/cooling conditions than desktop pcs, and pushing what your laptop can do (which you will absolutely do every time you compile) will cause your hardware to slowly fry over time. I've been a software developer for almost 3 years (3 years in June) and I had a gaymen laptop to work on until February. It worked great at first and it was fun being able to have it in meetings, but Christ alive man, it's performance went to shit real fucking fast after time, and while my coworkers got to just upgrade a part when that happened to them, i had to eat shit until it became actually inoperable.

If you have some autistic compulsive desire to get a laptop though, get the biggest screen you can if you'll be doing actual work on it.

Jesus Christ I already own a damn desktop. I think I'll just buy an upgradeable Clevo because this is fucking retarded.

Just buy a thinkbook

If you want a portable platform for gaming either buy a dedicated portable gaming system or a cheap laptop and play mostly old games.

Gaming laptops are never ever worth it, I paid more for my first laptop than my first desktop, and my laptop couldn't run current releases well when I brought it, my first gaming PC was playing games for 2 years at max and 4 1/2 years at medium, I've only upgraded it once and that was because my GPU died after 4 1/2 years.

**My first laptop cost 2500 new and my first PC cost 2100 for all it's parts and I brought premium fucking parts for it.

Everyone who posts this kind of shit, do you realize that the mobile GPU market changed entirely with Pascal?

Best option: Build a fucking desktop.

But if you must have one, get a used one. Stay away from Gigabyte and msi laptops and avoid amd GPUs past the 8000 series. For nvidia, anything under the 600 series isnt worth buying. You do not want a laptop made before 2012 unless its an ayylmaoware.

this thread is full on retard, you should have asked about this stuff in Holla Forums

Nvidia got so horrorized by fermi being a nuclear reactor that they took advantage of AMD being completely unable to compete and gimped their own gpus while wasting effort and transistors on a bunch of retarded power saving features for their performance parts. Their new gpus are still the best out there but it's a completely retarded decision to pander to africans who get 40c ambient temps, buy 500$ gpus and stick them in a mATX case that has no fans and ultimately everyone is getting worse performance because of it.

XD brudder