Do you call the PSone a "PSX"? At what point did you start calling it that?

Do you call the PSone a "PSX"? At what point did you start calling it that?

I still, always have and always will simply call it a playstation. anything else is gay beyond my comprehension.

The PSX was a Japanese-only PS2 with hard drive and DVR function. I don't care that gaming magazines started labeling PS games as PSX, they were retarded then, and we all know they are retarded now.

Blame this

Since before the goddamn thing released.

PS1, but I saw the term PSX appear after the release of the PSone.

I always found PSX really pretentious

I don't like it but it's what was used for a long time. PS1 wasn't a relevant term until the ps2 came out. I guess PS just sounded weird, PSX too technical because everyone always just called it playstation. I want a PSOne just for the look of it even.

It was referred to as the PSX until the PS2 came out, and until the revision was called the PSOne.

just as the developers intended

It's playstation, PS, PS1. PSX has lost its meaning over 15 years ago. It was a prototype name, it was used for years by journos (remember how we used to disregard them just a few years ago?) and was part of common discourse until sony named the Playstation 2 the Playstation 2. That set the precedent for calling them by their numbers.

The only people who call the Playstation a PSX are idiots looking for le old fag cred

Same, but I'm not Anglophobe.
And when the PS2 started becoming more popular and we started playing it exclusively we called it Playstation, too.

OP is a faggot.
post rare PSXes

I called it the Playstation until the Playstation 2 came out at which point I started calling it the Playstation 1, but I don't get triggered by people calling it PSX.

Honeslty i just called them playstain, and when i got the ps2 after my friend had a playstation we just called it the ps1 or said whose house we wanted to play playstation at.

When PlayStation2 came out. Before then it was just PlayStation because it was the only one of its kind. After that all people wanted to play was PS2, so then that became the default PlayStation. But since PS2 had backwards comparability, it was a moot point anyway.

Depends on what you're playing, really

Where I live everyone call it "play" later "play one", on internet I just call it playstation. In the magazines I used to read back then they called it the PSX and found it kinda weird, what does the X stand for?

eXperiment(al)

Developers and magazines called it the PSX or PS-X unceasingly, and only called it the Playstation or PlayStation right before release, but most commonly PSX. Systems were usually called by short forms, such as 2600, Jag, Lynx, XE, GG, SMS, Gen, Sat/Saturn, DC, NES, SNES, N64, GC/GCN, Neo, TG16/Turbo/PCE, and 3DO.

Yup. Nobody cares enough about that short-lived VCR thing to get confused. except shitposters

I originally called the PSX, then PS1 when the second one was revealed.

I call it "the playstation"

what is that image

I was calling it a PS1 before the PS2 was even a thing.
Get on my level.

I called it PS, but once I saw people sperging over "PSX" on imageboards I started to call it that just to annoy them.

Who are those people?
I expect them to be some sorta psychological consultants working over phone/internet, but chances are they are some shitty jewtubers.

Please post more Quentin

I know Mark>implier and PewDiePie (middle and right) no idea who the other guy is.

As embarrassing it is do admit I can recognise pewdiepie without watching any of his videos. The people who work suicide hotlines really are unsung heroes who deserve more recognition.

I didn't have internet access until shortly after the PS2 was out. Then I saw people calling it the PSX online, but fuck that, it's the PlayStation. PSOne is the small model, but for convenience's sake, I'll call the regular one PS1 to differentiate it from PS2 and later PlayStations.

No they aren't, they tend to fuck people over by sending the police anyway and don't give any useful advice, just normalfag shit like "it's going to be better" and "seek help". I can't complain too much though as anyone calling a hotline like that was never actually planning on doing it anyway.

At this point since PS2 plays PS1 games you might as well call the PS2 the Playstation and forget the PS1 exists. PS2 even plays CDs and has a near identical controller, I mean the PS1 is literally 100% worthless afaik

my nigga

At the time it was always called the PSX it definitely wasn't called the PS1 because nobody knew there was going to be a PS2. It probably came from some internal shit Sony put out that led most sites at the time to refer to it as the PSX just like Nintendo did with the Gamecube and "GCN".

Wtf does the "X" mean? Show me ONE marketing material that says PSX.

PSX was commonly used to refer to the first Playstation until the PSOne was released. Part of it was EBGames/Gamestop listing games as "PSX" games in their binders.

Yeah even like Gamespot and stuff had their Playstation sections marked as PSX. It was probably how sony referred to it in shorthand at the time.

No no, see, ps1 has ALWAYS been called a psx, you'll want to get it right. I mean, you don't want to look like an autistic jack ass because you know what the proper names of things are, do you?

No, because I'm not retarded.

goddamn look at this faggot

I called it that during the late 90's in AOL chatrooms once I saw everyone else was doing so and it was quicker to type out because still learning to touch-type back then.

I just called it the Playstation. my friends called it a PSX because of all the gaming magazines at the time.
Why the fuck did they even call it the PSX in mags?

I already explained what the X stood for. I won't call you a name for not reading, though.

PSX was never a codename
Newfaggots don't know the name comes from emulators developed at the time.

yes
before the PSOne came out because that was very late in it's lifecycle.

Yes, from the very beginning in the 90s.

I had 8 bit and 16 bit emus on fucking MS DOS. I used to go to library to download roms on floppy disks cause I didn't have internet at home.

People started calling the Playstation, the "PSX" after the PS:1 came out.

You know, it's honestly logical. If that new white Playstation is the Playstation ONE, then what do you call the First Playstation now?
It's stupid but that's how the cookie crumbled. the only bright side is that Sony kept the naming scheme simple and not fucking around too much like Nintendo and Microsoft did.

People had the same issue with the new Xbox One and most people call it the XOne/Bone/Box1, etc because calling it the ONE ,when it's the third system is retarded.

Hell. People crack on Battlefield for that shit too.
They could have called it anything. Battlefield Beginnings would have been better. Cheesier, but fuck it's not stupid.

I called it a PSX in like 1998 when other people online were calling it that. I mostly played imports at the time so I think the import sites called it a PSX and ebay auctions too.

I'm going to keep calling it a PSX because it makes people mad now. Thanks for reminding me, OP.

Nigger are you illiterate? Magazines and press materials were calling it that when it came out as shown in the thread. No one had a working PS1 emulator on PC in 1996.

when it was still being developed as a CD-ROM addon for the SNES, it had the project title "Play Station X"
when sony was asked for a TLA, they kept the X in it despite having dropped it from the product name

Gamefaqs had it listed as psx. Never knew why, i assumed it was an official abbreviation so i used it.

I wouldn't trade the PS1/PS2 days for the world, but the world would've been better off without the monstrosities that were N64 or the Gamecube.

I started calling it that when I got mine, back in 1997.

All right cucks, what do you consider the essential games one should play on the PlayStation

Pick a genre.

From the top of my head:

Front Mission 3
Vagrant Story
Gran Turismo 2
King's Field II
FFVIII and IX
Breath of Fire IV
Tenchu 1 and 2

Yes. Before launch.

Brave Fencer Musashi.

Any genre. I'm gonna be getting one soon to replace my old one that my brother sold off.

Good shit, anything else that's good but isn't something you'd normally recommend?

Nigga how you gonna badmouth the gamecube?

Here's some truly top-tier standouts of their respective genres that are still great today.

MediEvil (Action/Adventure)
Wild 9 (2.5D Action)
Spyro (Collectathon)
Crash 2 (Platformer)
Wipeout XL (Racing)
Chrono Cross (JRPG)
Final Fantasy Tactics (Tactical RPG)
Silent Hill (Survival Horror)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Metroidvania)

Thanks man. Shit I forgot about MediEvil.

I don't really understand the logic (or lack thereof) of this criteria. How does me not buying Bioware products make me "not a gamer." Why the fuck is "gamer" an identity phenotype nowadays? All "gamer" means is "game player," someone who plays games. How does me playing Half-Life 2 make me not a gamer just because I don't want to play Mass Effect Andromeda or World of Whorecraft?

/thread

Here's the header of the King's Field executable, released in 1994
It starts with the "PS-X EXE" string. Every game does. Now shut the fuck up.

King's Field
Intelligent Qube
Colony Wars : Red Sun
Gradius Gaiden
Xenogears
Tomba (1 & 2)
Rollcage - Stage II

I also hate when autists start shit like "PSX IS ABOUT THIS DEAD MEDIUM THAT NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT." Everyone I've ever known called it the PSX or PS1, mostly PSX.

SaGa Frontier

Now that's a resolution for "the playstation".

PS1 was written PS and PSX in German and British gaming mags when it was new. PSone and PS1 got into usage with the small redesign and PS2 becoming available.

Precisely.

you mean the brother of the Twokinds furfag?

When did kakashi turn into a cuck

Post more.

Twisted Metal and Colin McCrae Rally are good PS1 games as well

I always refereed to this the Nintendo 1

That's Jack Septiceye. Or JACK SPEDICEY.

Because author of that image said so.
Get fucked lol.

we posting cringe now?

You mean the playstein consoles? That's what they were always called.

I always called it the playstation until the PS2 came out, after which I proceeded to call it PS one (like the name of the tiny/slim model). Nowadays I just refer to them by their number i.e.
PS Single, PS Double, PS Triple, PS Quad

t. chad

For once I'm glad it's a thumbnail.

because it was nintendo's worst console until the wii u?

allow me to make your day

I call it The Playstation, I refer to the others as PS2, PS3, etc.

In my eyes if a console has a sequel, than only the first one get called the full title and the rest get shorthand.

Always called it PSX, mainly due to 90's magazines referring to it this way.

…Damn, I only got three of those. (Lemon Lube, Biker and Janitor) I'm pretty sure overthrow princess is Kuro Inu.

I think Small Island Nation is Far Cry 4, I don't know never played it.

I'm REALLY interested with the Bath tub.

No one cares if you "got" them or not, this isn't some game where we fight to see who's the biggest turd.

consider that it also doesnt matter that you dont think it matters

So what this thread teaches us is that the only people who call it a PSX are retards who bought, or at least read, old gaming magazines and regurgitate shit from them the same way my generation has retards who bought or read Nintendo Power and parrot the whole "Samus is 6'1" and over 200 pounds" stupidity.

basically, yeah

PSX= cool and hip and trendy
PS/PS1= fucking normal

PS = Photoshop

Here's your (1), Schlomo.

Why did I do this

Post more I feel like punishing myself today.

or people who always called it that and just never could be arsed to call it that. It also helps with differentiation of original PS models

Is PSX the name of the magazine or is it called something else and they just plastered PSX on the cover for that one issue?

How? It was gorgeous and had buckets of great games.

What were they thinking

A simpler time. I wish I could go back.

I just call it the Original PlayStation.

If you call it anything other than playstation or playstation one consider suicide cus you're a stupid goy.

If I had a time machine I would just go back to the early 90s just to buy up a bunch of video games that have been lost to time.

-t. underage

Since like 96 or 1997, it was all over the place, I remember seeing "PSX" everywhere like on the old CheatCC websites, message boards, irl etc.

This was all before Microsoft had entered the videogame space too. At the time a friend of a friend burned me a bunch of PSX games and he labled them with their titles like Metal Gear Solid and then wrote PSX underneath that. It's mostly the old school PSX players who use this term for the PS1, the original PlayStation, not the PS2/DVR that was only available in Japan for a short time that was something else and came well after the PS2 had released, which was obviously post 2000 and after the PSX reign.

People called it PSX back before the PS2 came out.

It makes sense to call it the PS1 now, but back then why the fuck would you call it a PS1 when there was no PS2?

Because that little screen is cool.

Why do people play handheld systems? Phone games? Tunnel-vision ignores the small size of the screen.

Because people want to be contrarian faggots.