I think we can all agree than directionless sandbox games with survival elements where you collect things and have lots...

I think we can all agree than directionless sandbox games with survival elements where you collect things and have lots of nonsensical upgrades is an overdone style of game, but which did this the best?
The concept doesn't seem that bad at all from afar, but some really bad games have been made in this style. Are any really worth your time?
For the most part I have avoided them, and off the top of my head I have only played FC2/3.

For clarity's sake the images are just examples, I haven't played any of them, and I'm certainly not advocating them.

great start

Don't do that

Otherwise, yeah, it's an insanely overdone genre. You can in part thank GTA3 and also Minecraft.

Subnautica is actually pretty good. There IS direction and progression, but it's not in the form of a linear game layered into an aimlessly big world. It's also not just pure autism.

I didn't mean to say they were shit, just that there's a lot of them, and at least some of the big ones (far cry 2 and 3) are terrible.

I also think we can agree that DLC and consoles are anti consumer practices. When something is as plainly true as "Ubisoft style sandbox games are oversaturated" I don't think it's assuming too much to think others realize it.
I didn't even think Subnautica would be considered in the same vein as these, but after thinking about it, yeah I think you're right. I am most interested in it for its 3D world, though. The main progression in the game (blueprints) is really annoying. I can't see how you could say there's direction, with the exception of fixing the aurora.

What would you say is pure autism, and why is this bad?

I've watched my dad play most of Horizon Zero Dawn. Other than the giant animal and dinosaur robots, it really does nothing special. You fight most of them in the same way, but if your hard up for fighting animal and dinobots, then I guess it's okay.

I've been getting mixed messages about Breath of the NO LEVEL DESIGN from Holla Forums, and I haven't played it, so I'm still not sure. I think it'll at worst be okay, if not slightly above average for this kind of game.

I do not comprehend this meme.

Did someone say sandbox and autism?

If you don't like Far Cry 3, you probably won't like any game of this type.

I tried Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and I think it was a bit tutorial heavy and didn't allow for much freedom during the quests. If you strayed at all from the linear path you'd get a prompt telling you to return to the path or you'd die.

Fucking Far Cry 3 is the pinnacle of this style?
Jesus christ

Market is already getting saturated with them. Mainly because they are all basically carbon copies from each other. Seriously, they must be using one and the same game design document for all of them. Time for some real game designers to shake the genre up or it will all crash and burn. Then again, that may be for the best at this point.

I just wish someone would make a game dead set on being a SURVIVAL game and nothing else.
The only ones I can think of that fit this are Cataclsm:DDA and that finnish RL with pictures of autistic finnish dudes shirtless.

I just noticed all those covers look the same, and have exact palette and presentation.

Two are blue n orange, one is blue and brown-orange, and only horizon isn't some derivative of blue and orange.

Far Cry 3 is a garbage game where you stare at the same landscape the entire time while shooting the same enemies with the same gun you had since the beginning of the game. In the last 5 years Zeldo's been the only open world game to have good environment diversity in its open world, as well as have decent mechanics.

From what I've gathered across the net, the open overworld isn't the problem with BotW. The three big points people have are

The whole glass-like weaponry stuff seemed to have died down lately. At the very least, the above three issues are mostly optional or skippable, but I'm sure everyone would want the next game to build off this open world and place dungeons and the like that people would want to seek out on multiple playthroughs

BOTW does it an order of magnitude better than the next best one, which is far cry 4 i suppose. The other two are so shit they aren't worth looking at.

All four are based around lush areas with small amount of green vegetation, all have the character of the game in shot, with weapons, all have broken custom white font with holes in the letters
If somebody would say one person designed all four covers, i would believe it.

Forgot the most important part - there's at least one mountain in all four images.

And highly contrast clouds.

Ghost Recon and Horizon don't have holes in the font, unless you count the break on the R for recon and the R in Horizon

I won't refuse to believe anything but that being a direct reaction to Todd Howard's "You see that mountain?" bit.

For the "See that mountain? You can climb it!" mentality

If you want Sandbox, play Romancing Saga III for the Snes and get shit on.

It really is amazing how much they imitate each other.

This is how you know Skyrim is a masterpiece. Everyone wants to copy o-it's greatness!

What's the point of even asking?

Are you retarded?

Are you fucking retarded? play some fucking games.

Yes let me use my mountains of free time to download 50 gb games and play them despite a 90% chance they're shit based on past experience

So not only are you full of shit, you also lie, I hate liars like you.

I was under the impression that Wii U emulation was a year or so off from being playable

heard it's 'playable'

Dude, relax, buy skyrim remastered edition.

The newest iteration of the cemu emulator gets released tomorrow. That shit is playable. If you don't want to wait, then go give your shekels to the fags who develop the emulator, and they'll let you have an advanced copy. how fucking ridiculous that we have to pirate emulators now jesus fucking christ

That's what I mean when I say the overworld is the problem. By creating this giant sprawling space full of collectibles and no linear progression, they've thrown away level design and fleshed out dungeons. Dungeons have always been the meat of Zelda games for me, and if this doesn't have that, I'm not sure it will even be worth my time any more than H:ZD would be.

Unless it's comparable to PS2 tier emulation as far as performance goes it'll be years before I can play it regardless

I recall an article praising how that you could get ingame and play (on a high end rig) at low fps for a few minutes right after zelda: best of the worst came out, so I sincerely doubt that in the past what, month? it's improved that much.

Honestly, from all video games that have free roaming:

Best Fantasy RPG: Skyrim
Best Sci-Fi space rpg: X Rebirth
Best Sci-Fi action rpg: Mass Effect trilogy
Best Sci-Fi fps rpg: Fallout 4
Best open world millitary simulator: ARMA 3

Everything else is just either worse or less enjoyable. That's a fact. If you complete everything you will eventually find yourself unable to play anything else.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hello Mr. Howard.

Doubt all you like, but the fact remains that these faggots are 1) making huge boatloads of cash on the development of this emulator and 2) they're making leaps and bounds in progress. In 1.7.3, the physics were broken. No water, no magnesis, no stasis. Link would sink into the ground when he stood still. There was no grass, and the game ran like ass. Well, all of these are fixed. I'm not saying it runs perfectly now, but you can't deny that they've been making huge improvements. See for yourself.

Forgot to mention - best stealth rpg Deus Ex Mankind Divided.
Also MGS V as best goat simulator.

I didn't deny they were making progress, I denied it was playable. That does look significantly better than the last video I saw, though.

Op, zelda is weeaboo trash, forget it.

The previous video footage is actually taken from 1.7.3d.
I didn't imply that you were in denial about their progress. I directly challenged your assertion that the game was not in a playable state. Well, it is.

O-oh well

That is also an exaggeration. The WiiU emulator currently only takes advantage of a single core in your CPU, so you don't get any special increase in performance from multicore CPUs with hyperthreading. As for your GPU, it is true that this emulator has problems with AMD products, but it is also true that you don't need to purchase a motherfucking TITAN X to get this game running. There are affordable solutions that the average person who spends a lot of time playing games on PC already has access to.

No excuses. You have no excuses.

What meme? Just sausages.

Well I'm broke and won't be upgrading for at least a couple years, and I have a shitty AMD GPU (HD 7770)

Same boat. Not many good games to play anyway other than maybe Snake Pass and I already upgraded my GPU once.

I doubt I'll build a new PC before 2020 and it can't have Windows 10 either. I'm more than satisfied with my 2010 PC.

The Long Dark would be so good if they just stopped excusing their shit design with "It's not supposed to be realistic!" and they just gave up on their stupid strong independent woman focused story mode.

It gets so close to scratching that survival itch, then you find out shit like making arrowheads requires you to fucking smith them out of scrap metal in a forge located inside of a old whaling ship. Instead of, you know, chipping off some fucking rocks or better yet, fire hardening the arrows instead of bothering with that.

Wine will have Dx12 support by 2020, r-right?
I'll just be able to dual boot Win7 and arch or something again, right? Right user?

You won't need to upgrade in order to play this game. I imagine that you'll see immense progress on this emulator by the year's end. Give it a try, user. Just slip it in. Get used to how it feels. Don't resist. You may end up enjoying yourself.

Weapons breaking isn't an issue, it just forces you to think on your feet, if you're running out of weapons you need to be less shit.

Who would have ever thought that would be the case, I agree those Dragon's are stupid but the boss fight with the corrupted Dragon was great, it was great flying down a frozen valley shooting it's corrupted points, more boss fights like this please.

Personally I'd say the games biggest fault is that after 140 hours I still want to play it but I've exhausted all its content.

Have you tried Skyward Sword? The dungeons and shrines are great in Breath of the Wild, but there just isn't enough Dungeon, and their boss fights aren't standout like other Zelda games, that's really their only problem, the final Dungeon is excellent but it's not like a traditional Zelda Dungeon, the puzzles aren't mandatory to progress, they normally just hold secrets.

Honestly that's just like every other Zelda game to me. None of the boss fights have ever left a lasting impression on me to be memorable, let alone remember their names. The only ones I remember are the one from Majora's mask where you chase it as the Goron and the giant skull from TP. Compared to other Nintendo games like Metroid this is a huge step down. I can list off almost every boss from every Metroid game I've played in order.

botw is the lamest open world ever.

Gohma
King Dodongo
Thingy inside Lord Jabu Jabu
Phantom Ganondorf
Volvagia
Little Amoeba that controls water
Twinrova
Bongo Bong

Lord Shakalaka
Goht, the one where you chase as the Goron
Giant evil Fish
Two giant sandworms

Queen Gohma in a pool of Lava
Plant version of the thingy inside of Lord Jabu Jabu
Phantom Ganondorf, although he's only the mini-boss
Helmaroc King
Bongo Bongo but a robot and with no drums
Molgara, Chugga chug chugga chug
Giant fat Ghost
Monster Ganon puppet

Multi headed plant monster you fight with Baboon mini-boss
Giant flaming Goron
Okay well I forget the water temple boss
Giant floating skull you chase on spinning top
Queen Gohma yet again
Big Dick Bee
Yeti man's wife
Giant Dragon in the Sky
Zant
King Moblin.

Metroid is kind of easy because it has the sculpture of all the bosses right before the end in Super and the two head one in Zero Mission.

But can you name all the Metroid Fusion bosses?

Not counting the repeats from previous games? There's Serris, Nightmare, the B.O.X. Security robot and the SA-X that immediately spring to mind, but that game was pretty weak in terms of boss fights since a bunch of them are either repeats from 2/3 or giant X cores. I also remember that one that jumped up and you had to shoot it in the vag to get the high jump.
As for the Prime games I can list pretty much all of them from memory

This one had weaker bosses overall, I might have missed one

I think this game had the most stand out boss fights since Super, even if half of them are "x Guardian"

I have played Skyward Sword, as with nearly every mainline Zelda to completion (exceptions the 2 DS games and FSA). One thing I noticed with SS in 2011 that while the dungeons themselves weren't up to par with the games prior, the "overworld" segments (anything not the sky) were built almost like psuedo-dungeon crawls where you make pathways to earlier spots as you gain more access to areas in them. BotW has elements of them where the expansive overworld if a sprawling assortment of dungeon pockets and less of a hub to reach the real meat that some of the more offending overworlds in Zelda can be. BotW takes a lot from Zelda 1, but like the first game, those dungeons weren't themed or given much of a special attribute outside of enemy types. The 4 Divine Beasts have buildup as these major events, but they all fall into a same gimmick of finding consoles and tilting a part of the beast for puzzles while there's little in the way of enemy threat. Sure, it's not falling into the same routine that the 3D games have gotten into a rut in (oh, I'm walking into a big room and the door locks behind me. I'm about to fight a miniboss and find the item after this), but it lacks variety. Say what you will about the stock jungle/ice/lava/sand temple, but that usually at least gives a unique look to each dungeon than the same rustic ancient-tech.

As an idea that will help go with the open-world approach, don't go with the big build-up for the main dungeons. Have it where nearby townsfolk mention how they saw something strange or new stirring activity in ruins close to them. The dungeons can range from an obvious spire on a mountain, an almost missable hole in the rock, viewable under the water, etc. Bring back the variable design and aesthetics of each dungeon with some unique gimmick or puzzle about it, like draining the water from the submerged ruins, opening the canopy for light, stuff like that. BotW has little gimmick areas like that, such as the all dark realm, the mazes, that castaway island. There's even old ruins that are just sprinkled about in BotW, but they mostly only lead to a shrine. These make it so the dungeons stand out as arching setpieces the series is known for. It also makes it so replays make you eager to tackle your favorite dungeon first and skip ones you don't care for. Hell, one commenter suggested having optional dungeons hidden away not tied to the plot, but unique areas for a challenge and loot. Speaking of, you don't have to put in special tools in the dungeons, but perhaps a special weapon or so like the ones you earn after the Divine Beast completion– but they don't break as easily and cost so much to repair.

This is all part of how you can take the fresh ideas of the latest game and improve for the next. They have that huge exploratory world back, now they need to bring back the old feeling that there's a ton of hidden layers just under the surface of the earth just waiting to be spelunked.

I beat Skyrim, GTA V and BOTW. Don't care for Far Cries or AssCreeds. Played Just Cause 2, didn't beat, will play 3 eventually. Tis a fine style.

>>>/reddit/

You fucking idiot Breath of the Wild could have been the exact same game but otherwise have good dungeons had they just put effort into the level design of them.

It's not an inherent problem with the open world, it's just an issue with the particular game. If anything, the Open World could have complemented the dungeons but Nintendo always has to fuck SOMETHING up so they didn't.

Why is Nintendo always so close but so far?

bump

I disagree.
I love me some sandbox open world games where I can endlessly collect and upgrade shit.
Fuck off.

Any that are
Good
Playable on a garbage PC

minecraft

I still haven't met anyone actually using the emulator. Let's wait a week or two to check if there's something new. I know the emulator is doing fine but if the specs are really that restrictive then it will be cheaper to actually get a Nintendo console.

its probably meant to convey a sense of scale

These 'directionless' sandbox games actually make the best games IF there is seamlessly integrated multilayer, and a 'living' world. They don't work as single player games. The MMO is actually the best format for the genre. Which is funny because I don't know of a MMO game that matches this. Black Desert On-line attempted to do this but quickly went to shit. EverQuest Next was going to do this but was bought and ruined by a New York Jewish Investment firm. Ironic.

I've played BOTW a fair bit. Haven't finished it yet though. Here's the problems I've seen.

the whole time because she sounded identical to Mipha.

FC3/4 get rid of all the down time which I just can't be fucked with.
Zelda looks like something I would've fuckin loved when younger but the 'awe' of exploration and wandering is boring now.
Blood Dragon couldve been one of the best if it wasn't just an expansion and was instead the major focus.

But it's mostly the writing/world building that lets me down with all of them. It's all so shitty and post-modern that I'm totally reliant on gameplay, which gets old fast.

You are told about Hestu around the Twin peaks stable, and you meet him on the road to Kakariko, there are two npcs who mention the thing behind Kakariko and there is a mini quest where and NPC asks you to find the one in Tabantha.

Some old GTAs I guess.

Not really. The only time I see people complaining about open worlds are shitposters on here demanding that there be something to do every 5 meters in an open world instead of a lot of empty space like a normal world's wilderness.

The original appeal of open world games was that you can just fucking roam around enjoying setting and the views. Be it GTASA or Morrowind, you could just fuck off and enjoy the scenery.
I think it's ubishit started to shove icons and collectibles into every square meter of the world while also displaying it on the goddamn map.

overdone, but I don't really think it's ever realized its full potential.
I've never played one of these games and ever felt like the world was meticulously hand-crafted by a human. They all usually sacrifice quality and memorable encounters for enormous exploration potential in an empty world that feels like it was generated by an algorithm.

Not my cup of tea with the way it's currently implemented. If someone ever made one that did it correctly I'd probably play it quite a lot.

Try SOTC or XBX. Actually try XB1 as well.

Fuck you Far Cry 2 is good.

dubs confirm.

It was the best Far Cry by far, replaying right now.

if you want to walk around in an empty space then go outside
you'll even get exercise, fatass. games are supposed to have content.

Fallout 4.

Unironically. Some features are a bit less underdeveloped, but it still has more features than all of those games combined.

And it's all garbage.

If you want to walk around a realistic empty landscape then go outside you faggot

The only decent thing about Fallout 4 is the gunplay, and that's only when you compare it to 3/NV.

ZELDA A CUTE
A CUTE I SAY

10 hours in

Good

Bad

It's a solid game so far, easily the best Zelda since Wind Waker.

Breart of the Wild definitely did it the best

Hear me out for a second;
Most games of that style give you a world and then make playing through the story optional
Zelda inverts this; they give you a world and make not playing through the story optional.
I think Zelda did it the best because it at least gives the player a direction without necessarily restricting their freedom. Giving the player no clear direction is known to make games boring (unless you're muh immershun faggots)

I really enjoyed Far Cry 3. I'll probably replay it at some point, I recommend it.
I want to play BotW but Nintendo is fucking dickheads and launched their new console a year before there's enough content to really decide if it's worth it, and it's too expensive, and a Wii U is worthless at this point. Maybe I'll emulate BotW.
Ghost Recon is probably just some more Ubisoft copypaste shovelware, if you want open world Ubisoft Far Cry 3 is the one and only game you should consider.
Horizon Zero Dawn has political shit in it and is on PS4, so fuck it to hell.

I can tell you my only experience with BotW has been through emulation. CEMU runs the game just barely well enough to give you a sense of how the game plays on actual hardware. That said, its pretty slow as fuck outside of the shrines (in the shrines you do get steady 30fps depending on your hardware though) I managed to get past the first few chapters so far and it just makes me more hyped for when the CEMU devs optimize their shit finally

It's running 26-28fps outside of shrines for me. What are your computer's specs?

i7 Skylake, GTX 970, 14GBs of DDR4

I have the GPUFence fix enabled but no speedhacks.
I get a steady 30 fps in shrines, outside of shrines its about 10 to 25fps depending on where I am

You should be getting more than that. Did you follow everything you could to raise the FPS like moving Cemu to a ramdisk and increasing the pagefile size?

Should i give in Holla Forums? I kinda want a bloodborne machine. And on the plus side my friends will let me borrow Horizon just so i can play it a while and shit on it completely so they won't ask me to play it anymore.

you should get a shader pack, it will crush your ram but it gives you 25-30fps outside. I've got pretty much the same setup as you.

Its even more shit than you realise. The only reason to get a ps4 is for weeb games. If you're not a weeb, pass on a ps4.

That's completely retarded. Why would I want Windows to favor using swap space over RAM? I think most of these "speed tricks" are written by retards who have no idea how any of these things work but swear on them like banana oil salesman. I rolled my eyes when I read that tutorial telling me to disable hyperthreading cores on CEMU as if hyperthreading somehow has a performance penalty

This sounds a tad more realistic. I'll try this and see what happens

It doesn't meet my 10 games criteria yet.
To me there must be 10 games i absolutely wanna play on a system before i buy it.
For now my list looks something like:
Feel free to shit on my taste.

Soon, user, very soon. It's funny how the one time an emu dev team sets up a patreon scheme, that emu's development hurries along at record speed. I know Wii U uses PowerPC so that's a large part of it, but even then it's going quick. Capitalism works

I've seen some affinity trick as well, supposedly disabling cores makes cemu run faster.

The thread of of a core is significantly weaker than the core without threading enabled or selecting specific core affinity. Intel and AMD both have the same results and it can be about as much as 70% thread performance of the core. A 4-core threaded processor would look like this in affinity breakdown: logical processors (0-7) 100 - 70 - 100 - 70 - 100 - 70 -100 - 70

I'd say it's nearly impossible to miss those in your first playthrough. But even if you do, at least for early game, it's not that big of a deal.
I'm saying this because very early in the game, when you are told to go to kakariko, you also find a fork in the road to Akala. Well, using my usual exploration meta skills explore branch options before going through the main one, so you won't miss colectables, a technique on which I became too reliant on thanks to damn linear games I went to Akala before going to kakariko, did a bunch of shit and even bought myself a set of armour, all before getting a single inventory upgrade or the hero's tunic
btw, FUCKING HERO'S TUNIC BULLSHIT IS STRONGER THAN A SET OF ARMOR, WHO THOUGHT THAT MADE ANY SENSE, THAT'S STUPID SHIT, THE ARMOR LOOKS COOL AS FUCK BUT IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU ANY KIND OF BENEFIT, DOESN'T EVEN HAS A SET BONUS
Anyway, game design for finding Hetsu and great fairies is preety well done in my opinion

Breath of Wild game is by far the best open world since Morrowind

Yeah small dungeons is a problem, but no game is perfect

Not gonna shit on your taste, but I am gonna suggest some stuff you may not have considered:

Third-person Minecraft with an actual story and some really satisfying upgrades. Your inventory gets reset each chapter, though, when they send you to a new town (you keep the abilities though). Slow pace and without Minecraft's "do anything" kind of progression, definitely more directed. Combat is only slightly better than Minecraft, though. I wish someone who made a cube game would also know how to make swinging swords at monsters interesting. It's not hard but everyone seems to fuck it up.

Bought it but haven't gotten around to it yet but all the reviews say it's pretty fun, if somewhat crazy tonally.

If you didn't like the first time around you won't like this one, but I'm excited for it.

Free trials now go perpetually, until you hit level 35, which is nice.

Only played a bit so far but it's very solid.

Easily my GOTY last year. Solid writing, fun combat, kickass music. I love that there are no "idiot ball" characters and very few, "I'm mad so we're gonna fight even though you came here to talk!" situations (and the only one I can think of offhand immediately resolves in talking, not death). If you're put off by the animu designs, don't be - the writing is more Shakespearean or Greek than your typical anime fantasy bullshit. Story is intertwined, with each of the five characters chasing their own goals and only occasionally interacting with other characters.

Sorry, started to rant there. I fucking love Odin Sphere. The original game is included as well but it's a bit clunkier - they definitely made this version easier, at least in usability.

Musou game. Might be worth a shot.

I liked the first Crackdown, Demon's souls is pretty open world too.

I agree with most things but the combat is a step back, possibly to encourage players to rely more on the physics gameplay, but an step back regardless.

Programmer here. Hyperthreading is often an issue as those false 'cores' are dramatically slower. Having a shitty scheduler move a thread to a hyperthread in a CPU-bound application will create noticeable artifacts. If it keeps bouncing it around it will fuck with perceived smoothness. You'd think the scheduler in Windows would be smart enough to avoid this and use them for background garbage and you'd be wrong.

Also, disable the page file entirely. Swap is an outdated concept.

Demons is probably the least open of the souls games.

I was under the impression that Windows uses the page files for things other than virtual memory; and there is a lot of poorly engineered Windows software that for example, allocates all of the memory it needs at startup, and assumes that there is enough virtual memory to address it, even if it's unused.

GPU buffer accuracy, set it to low.

No.
Maybe you meant overcommit? As written, it's something many applications with fixed allocators do which is perfectly fine, but the OS assumes it's overcommit by default and only partially allocates pages which is pretty fucking annoying if you you were pre-allocating to avoid page faults.

I want Breath of the Wild Monster Hunter with multiplayer.
wait you have to pay for multi

I actually like the combat in BotW more than in the other games, especially TP (ignoring SS obviously). In TP you automatically raised your shield when you locked on to enemies, and even though you had a ton of cool special moves it was better not to use them most of the time. In BotW they took away directional attacks (attack with stick in neutral, get horizontal slashes, stabs if forward, vertical slashes if back), but none of those ever gave any advantages anyway since all enemies took the same amount of hitstun from each and they all took the same amount of time to complete their combo. Basically there's never been any kind of risk-reward factor to 3D Zelda combat, making it pretty boring. With the addition of parrying and flurry rush paired with much tougher enemies players are now encouraged to put themselves in very dangerous situations in return for a big opening. Guardians and Lynels are the best examples of this. This is the first time anyone's bothered making a skill video out of a Zelda game.

Open world games have run their course. When the traveling is literally just padding to make the game seem longer, its fucking ridiculous and down right obnoxious.
GTA games are the most egregious offenders of this in my opinion. Having some mandatory Drive from point A to point B sections built into missions where you get exposition from characters as you just try to drive as fast as possible to get on with the mission is truly terrible. I believe they even remedied it in later additions by allowing you to skip it.

Any game that has unskippable low interactivity walking/driving etc. sections is a sin, ie see MGSV. I can't particularly say I am interested in any of these games, they all look like utter shit to me with the exception of BotW but who the fuck would actually buy a Switch just to play one game?

I want Breath of the Wild Monster Hunter WITHOUT the multiplayer

dude its on the WiiU, and runs just fine…. for a WiiU game

You forgot the part where they give you essentially all of your abilities and tools you're ever going to get in the first 2 hours.

why is that a bad thing?

Why does anyone buy any system before it's already in its 5th year and on the verge of collapse? Why waste your time buying something until you know every good game the system will have?

Because I want to play that shit now. I'll play it until the next game comes out, then I'll play that game… and so on. Then, when you finally buy the system in 3 years at a $50 discount + a free 3 year old game, I'll already have played all the games you hope to play, and I'm playing newer games while you're grinding through your back catalog. Not sure why that's such a hard concept to grasp.

If you're autistic enough it means you can get everything the first time you encounter it, there's never a sense of "how the FUCK do I get that thing?!" then the excitement of realizing how to get to it later when you gain whatever tool or ability is required.

At least you are honest about not playing them. You are in the right place.

skyrim
I'm serious; it's better than all of those games except maybe zelda

BOTW, Splatoon, Mario Kart are good reasons, though not good enough I'll agree.
I'm waiting for compatibility with WiiU so I can replay all the games I missed by not buying that console "just for one game" fifty times.
Also homebrew eventually.

But that's shit. Here's how every Metroidvania goes:

It makes you waste time when you don't yet know what tools you will get in the future and you're not sure if you already have the right one but you're not using it properly or if you're supposed to come back later. And when you replay the game, it does nothing but remind you that it's actually a very linear game with lots of backtracking.
Not to mention that the first segments of the game must always be piss easy and simple because you have a very limited amount of tools at start.

I still like my metroidvanias for every other part in the game, but this is never a good mechanic in them, it's just somewhat bearable depending on how they do the backtracking.

No, you're not serious. Any of those games is a better RPG than Skyrim, any of those games has combat better than Skyrim and any of those games does a better job at acknowledging your actions in the world than Skyrim.

BOTW alone already has much better crafting than Skyrim, more variety in weapons and skillsets (which is a testament to how bad Skyrim is when this was considered a flaw in BOTW), horses are actual horses and you can actually climb mountains.

You forgot

instead we have

You mean:
Because the Spinner and Dominion Rod in Twilight Princess were really cool tools but hardly a good argument here, and extra vision modes or shooting modes in Metroid are often redundant for the game except to solve specific puzzles which might include killing enemies that need a specific damage type.

Metroid might be the more egregious case since you'll often get a grappling hook that can only be used in specific instances and on specific enemies and that's it.

BOTW isn't meant to have a linear solution\path for you to follow with the tools given to you in a linear and predictable fashion but instead being creative with what you have. Sometimes the Ice Power is just a way to make platforms, other times it's a way to make cover against ranged enemies or to get you out of melee range from other people.

You can get new armors (like the zora armor that turns you into a turbo salmon) and semi-passive powers from the ghosts of the champions with cool uses, the runes are just part of what link can do

Far Cry, Wildlands, and Horizon aren't. Those worlds are completely dull and boring and utterly uninteresting. I'm not saying that Skyrim is some master of it, but those games certainly aren't any better.

Ah, you're just retarded, it's cool, I understand.

Yeah, I finished the zora and goron areas pretty thoroughly, got the master sword and hylian shield and did a ton of side quests before finally burning out. The zora tunic gave me hope that something game changing would come on another piece of gear, then I found a piece of the climbing gear that mentioned 'nonslip gloves' and went on a mad dash to find the rest in hopes that I could stop slipping in the FUCKING rain. Later learned that you cannot and all the set bonuses are basically boring passive shit.

BOTW is basically just a pile of gimmicks in a bland world with PAINFULLY simplistic content. It's like the entire development process was "wouldn't it be neat if ____" and they bore just gimmick after gimmick into it that are neat but don't add much. I'll take a boring old zelda everyone calls over rated over BOTW any day.

So is Skyrim save for a few neat landmarks. It's whole appeal is good looks but that's something those games have as well and better.
Unless you mean interaction with the world where they also win since nothing ever changes in Skyrim save for scripted Civil War battles where you get different flags, armor for the guards and a new NPC as the jarl and that's it.

Either of those 3 games does a far better presence at acknowledging the presence and effects of your character in the world than Skyrim ever does since that game is about the player and not the character doing what he thinks is cool and that's it.
If you don't like the setting from those 3 games or simply prefer the lore and story of Skyrim, that's okay. But as an RPG, Skyrim is atrocious and defintely worse than any of those 3 games.

So you're not gonna mention the grappling hook in Metroid? Because those 2 examples are still more than your 0 examples of "new tool with cool use that may greatly improve gameplay and keep you interested".

How can you honestly say this about that game while fellating previous titles where their entire run is collecting gimmick items with gimmick uses and painfully simplistic uses and content that's heavily rehashed from previous titles and always has terribly simple uses?

Gee, I just finished the desert dungeon and got this neat Spinner. What are those marks on the wall? Oh boy, I wonder what am I supposed to do now!
I just finished the Ice Dungeon and got this nice Ball&Chain that make me terribly slow and take forever to kill trash mobs but at least it can break ice blocks. AN ICE BLOCK? WHAT AM I GONNA DO?

And this isn't to mention the amount of rope cutting or crystal shooting that's always done with the Bow, the mandatory boomerang to fetch items and solve puzzles until you unlock said bow, the lantern to light torches in specific locations, etc etc.

The Magnetic Power in BOTW is already better content than pretty much anything ever in Link's inventory in terms of what you can do with it.

This is literally the only open worldish game that did stealth decently. The camps have good level design to sneak around in and it's actually really difficult to out maneuver the enemy. The only major downside are quirks like the fact the AI all share 1 hivemind. So even if you shoot and kill a guy before he can get a word out. Plus it's really hard to spot snipers, so sometimes you'll get spotted by one and not realize it till you're fucked.

So even if you shoot and kill a guy before he can get a word out everyone will still know exactly where you are.

Needs a Colgate logo in the bottom corner tbh fam

>>>/reddit/
They are obviously shit. If you are a fan of any of the games shown in the OP, you do not belong here.

And it's good.

The game is not much of an improvement from it's predecessors, but still beats other games in interactivity.

The original Operation: Flashpoint was an open world military simulator back in 2001. Wander kilometers away from your starting area, stumble upon a T-72 or Hind, steal it, then continue your mission. If you have not played the game, pick up the GOTY edition from eBay or drop 5 bucks on ARMA: Cold War Assault, as it was renamed for Steam.

haven't really watched any botw but god dam does the world look empty as fuck

MGSV comes to mind, but at the same time, there were miles of shit with literally nothing to do. Open World just made the Stealth much better.

Aside from that, I'd say FarCry 4 I enjoyed the most (and apparently, not playing FC3 beforehand helped me enjoy it more than most did)

BoTW has a few issues, but honestly I felt that night exploration without a torch should have been more dangerous and also darker. Not quite the early lizard dungeon, but a bit brighter than that. Having a torch makes it less dark near you but it's still unknown territory. Makes gliding more dangerous because you wouldn't know what you're gliding into. Still a solid game despite the dungeons being weaker than the overworld, but it will hopefully be a lesson for newer Zelda games. Would prefer to see a bit more difficulty (making potions a lot more necessary per say) but the variety of combat in terms of what you can do is quite nice. More upgrades for abilities and more abilities in general, make the dungeons much bigger (3D maps was actually interesting, along with changing the dungeon for what you were doing) and Boss fights tougher and more engaging in terms of moving (although the way you got into the beasts was often quite good riding a Zora and swimming up the waterfalls to shoot arrows was pretty nice, but do something with the bosses inside too.

Speaking of dungeons, did anyone else get almost a Morrowind feeling moving through them? I had a few "Should I be able to do this?" As I glided way above the dungeon itself, it almost felt… Untested? Not quite unpolished but almost like the method I used wasn't what the devs had in mind how I did it. One of the bigger ones was using the birds lower wind generators and climbing through a recently opened window on the side of it instead of solving the puzzle from beyond a grated divider. It's not a bad thing, in fact it'd kind of be cool to see more of that, where someone's skill in maneuvering actually gets them through things, hell make it harder than the puzzle itself but have a reward for it, who knows?

well, is there a sound mechanic? Cuz if they heard the gunshot

Let me add some more so you'll get to 10:

Now you have 11 reasons, blow me.

What I forgot with is also

If you include KH3, which may or may not be released for this system, you'd have 14 games.

It isn't really. 120 shrines and 900 koroks means you are constantly stumbling on something and derailing whatever you were doing before
It really rewards you for walking instead of using fast travel. I still find koroks I missed previously when going certain routes.

Sounds like the typical open world game thats flooding the market now. Large numbers of samey bullshit giving you a small reward

If this is the case, Cemu's thread handling scheme needs an overhaul. Throughput is obviously wasted for poor parallelization.

If you haven't played them, why speak out of your ass?
Can you not formulate an opinion for yourself or something?
I'm not saying any of these games are good besides BoTW, but really, take a hike on back to /r/gaming or something