Anyone have any recommendations for Rougelike Open World games...

Anyone have any recommendations for Rougelike Open World games? Stuff similar to Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode or CataclysmDDA

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!gxlk0KaZ!nL4ZnGgnbJ76y5fqFKh0P01V78xw45w9ggoOEEzmlpo
github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/14789
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unreal World is one of the best. Pretty sure it's the game that inspired DF's combat system, plus it's more complete than DF's adventure mode.

I'll go check it out

Anyone here checked Caves of Qud?

Currently in the progress of beating CLIVAN. If you like unforgiving difficulty and a game you'll never finish, play it. The map itself it rather small and most of the gameplay will be slugging through hordes of enemies in underground dungeons. Basically the first boss will determine if you even have a chance of living. Only good advice I can give you is: always eat corpses first and save your cans of food for later.

I've heard about this but never got into it.

The Ivan's are great games for sure!!
Much more could be made with the base system imo.

Yeah, sadly no one is using the engine anymore. All the mods are dead and there's no games from it.

Ah damn, looked on the forum and they were still active in 2016. So this has stopped too now.
Well, we might hope that someday some codeaffine dev decides to steal ideas shamelessy from that nifty game.

I've beaten CLIVAN, I think it is a bit easier then original IVAN. There are more dungeons, dungeon levels and shops with good loot. You have much better chances of finding items which make winning easier. There are more rewards for praying. I think its better then original IVAN even if its easier.

Advice: Don't eat kobolds, spiders, snakes, rotten food.
Use wands and potions on first boss. Make sure you have fire resistance and keep all wands and scrolls in a chest when you get to second dungeon. Precise and sharp small weapons are overall better then inaccurate big weapons (but first boss is an exception and they train your arm strength pretty good). You should be able to beat first boss pretty often if you want to get anywhere. Observe overmap after you beat the first boss, find the second city. Sometimes its pretty far, you can get lost and starve if you don't observe.

Elona is alright if you don't mind animu.

i've tried plenty of roguelikes but i just can't

for those who do, what do you get out of it?

Real proper tension and difficulty. A game where death and losing actually has meaning, and with many roguelikes the sheer number of systems and the way they interact is amazing, like using a cockatrice to turn enemies to stone, but if you pick it up without gloves you will yourself turn to stone, shit like that.

ADOM

There are so many little things to keep in mind when playing the game; like always collect wands of fireblast and striking (they're especially good against later bosses), always keep the wands in a case so they don't shatter from explosions or loud yelling from underground frog fishermen. Get an item that either lets you levitate or increases perception. Vanilla IVAN is harder than any more, but it's also more boring once you finish it.

Three things really: Replayability, freedom and difficulty. When I play a rogue I want to experiment on how to beat the game with different skills, equipment and strategies. If they don't work, I want the game to let me know how much I fucked up.

That's true. Still, if you manage to get past underground frog fisherman, you beat more dangerous half of the game. I think wands of fireballs are only good for blowing up kamikazes, especially veteran ones. Wands of striking are great when paired with bear traps.

After you beat Elpuri there are still things to do. Getting all endings is a good challenge and will last you for a while. Especially in CLIVAN. So it only becomes boring after you manage to beat everyone, including Sherarax, Ischaldirh, Oree and Petrus. That's more then enough for me.

I like them for interesting gameplay mechanics and good resource management.

This one is early access I think? I heard it was one of the games that keeps getting worse(or was it abandoned entirely?) from a friend, can't say it for sure myself though

what is this game?

Rougelike

think someone somewhere whipped together concept art for a pirate themed rl.

Trying to make a point buddy?

They don't like typos.

Oh fuk I feel retarded now

It's ok. You look retarded too.

You are what you eat

TOME
ADOM

This tbh

Honestly, weird as hell shit I almost never see elsewhere. In Stone Soup and Elona, for example, you can mutate rather easily, and in Qud, it's part of building a character, and it feels really cool to do that. In IVAN, you can wish yourself arms of different materials, or legs, or a body… So you can have an arm of, say, living steel.

Most Roguelikes go places other games don't, and the replayability offered by the difficulty and the game mastery aspect are just icing on the top.

I don't know what game is this, but it looks really neat.

That's Cogmind! It's got a neat interface and some cool mechanics, but that's most of what it has going for it, for now. You're basically playing as a robot, and your equipment = your character. Everything, down to your vision and information about the world around you, is determined by what you have attached and operating on your body.

Combat is a bit similar to DoomRL, but not as good.

Oh. And it costs money.

That's what i absolutely loved from adventure mode DF.

Which roguelikes have good combat systems? Something that's more than "push button in enemy's direction and pray for crit"

I found a link for it. Thanks for giving the name.
mega.nz/#!gxlk0KaZ!nL4ZnGgnbJ76y5fqFKh0P01V78xw45w9ggoOEEzmlpo

So it would be fair to say that the graphics, input, and shit all take a back seat, and it really emphasizes the programmer's skill?

Poschengband/angband variant with wilderness. Technically its open world and more of a traditional roguelike.

One way of putting it, sure.

Another way to put it would be that Roguelikes tend to value mechanics over other fluff, and are relatively untouched by sjw, casual, normalfag cancers.

That's how I'd put it. Roguelikes are basically pure mechanics and gameplay, their nature is almost experimental in a way. The realm of possibility is so much greater in a roguelike than in any other type of game.

At least use a tileset that isnt cancer inducing fam.

Also obvious Elona is obvious.

woopsie daisy

Skill is one thing, but also creativity and passion. All the notable roguelikes share two qualities: they are time-consuming due to their depth and complexity, and they all have something unique about them. Unreal World and Cataclysm DDA, for example, are wilderness survival sims, but the environment in both are 100% dismantle-able and rebuild-able and more small details are taken into account than in any of the popular survival sims out there. Basically, they make the most out of the "simulation" aspect by sacrificing superficialities like graphics.

Nethack, ADOM, and Angband, likewise, offer more depth and freedom than any isometric or first-person dungeon crawler. Dwarf Fortress offers more depth and freedom than any town management sim. And you can see this by the amount of games out there that try to rip it off, charge money, and still cannot even come close. The need for a certain aesthetic in order to get into a game is a handicap that less creative/ passionate/ skilled devs will take advantage of for money.

Actually I should say "ignoring graphics" rather than "sacrificing graphics" since it isn't much of a sacrifice at all when it is something completely inconsequential.

Any other games that let you augment yourself besides CDDA? Mutations alright but I wanna go cyborg.

Later versions of ZAngband with overworld. Those with humanoid monster camps in the wilderness.

Also, anyone ever play Castle of the Winds or Reaping the Dungeon, and if so, can you compare their quality to modern roguelikes?

Speaking of C;DDA, what do you guys play on for monster spawn density?

I've been trying to find a happy medium with both static and wander spawns on, but it's always too many or way too few enemies.

I don't get it OP, why do you insist your games to be rouge? There are many other nice colors too

~lewd

Neoscavenger is supposedly good but I've never played it. Don't really know of any other open world ones. Unreal World sucks.

I need more like this too. Most inventive you can get with most combat systems is wand fun and throwing.

Elona is the one if you want life-sim stuff like farming and shop-owning.

What's wrong with unreal world?

I was too stupid to play it and just spent an hour running around in the woods. I never found another living creature.

Use overmap and tracking for that.

i spent an entire afternoon (real time) tracking a fucking deer in a forest
then i fucking butchered it without skinning it

dammit now i feel like playing again
i still haven't really figured the game out.
is looking up a wiki the standard practice when playing roguelikes?

Personally I just use the beginner guides that usually inhabit the wikis for whatever games, I don't see there being much fun fumbling for key bindings.

Yes, of course.

I don't think there even was a wiki yet when I first played it, but that was a loooooong time ago. I see one now. Guess I'll try it again.

It's pretty good, I'm pretty sure theres a free version available thats just ascii graphics if you wanna check it out.

The original game that created the Rouge genre is good.

Pussy.

Never heard of it

Look it up nigger, it's called "Rogue".

Ive played "Rogue" you illiterate faggot

Look what you posted again.

- You, apx. 12 minutes ago

I know I fucked up the spelling in my first post.

Yes

Ive never heard of Rouge or Rougelike games. Care to enlighten me?
Now Roguelikes, those are fine

Your description reminds me vaguely of Duskers.

I know this isnt quite open world, but there was a mac port of Moria (i know, i was a kid and its all i had) that allowed you to leave the level 0 town and explore the woods around it. full color, rivers, trees, etc.

I've never been able to find it w/ macmoria ports, probably doesnt help that i dont use a mac

What roguelikes other than IVAN have limb based damage?
Losing limbs and getting sick non-flesh ones is my vidja mechanic fetish

This needs a MP/larger world going on

Why are you posting this in a roguelike thread?

F-fuck u

25 hrs into it. The most fun is creating your mutant character in the creation screen.

Turns out more than half the of the traits are useless, especially for sans-spellcasters. Being human is dull as fuck. The world is filled with the same generic mobs and trees for their land biomes besides towns and temples on your map and the odd ruins which have robots and turrets that will end your run within milliseconds if you're casually running through the area. No interesting encounters in the wild. The most I found was an apple farmer outside a town where her daughter falls in love with you. There's no interaction with her besides killing her.

Practically nothing for world building besides the main quest. The massive merchant town has nothing worth buying and no one to talk to besides one-liners. The gag of "Sophisticated and posh X-creature talks to you xD" throughout the world gets old quick.

No information on how the crucial math of the mechanics of combat work besides threads which users had to make and the developer clarified on.

If you do play, please note:
Don't ever fuck with mushrooms.
Just leave the area or play autistic as fuck so you don't accidentally walk into one the next screen if they spawn in your first cave. One huff of that fucking Sarin gas gives your character an infectious mushroom that renders limbs unable to hold items and it slowly spreads to all parts of the body. You have to get the book from the monkey Mayor to get the randomly generated recipe and the applicator and gel which is for sale at the other pole of the world or from the 100-in-1 odds that a traveling merchant has them. Not to mention, one of the ingredients is always a corpse, a corpse of a random monster that is sometimes incredibly uncommon. Or no where near your level.

And if you get glottrot, it's incurable. You just bleed out and even console commands can't save you.

Getting wings breaks the loot game. You can kill all traveling merchants with a bow or gun if you fly up since none of them have ranged weapons and get the best weapons and gear in the game that isn't from a quest or craftable.

You can cut off people's faces and wear them though. And cut off your own limbs and wield them as weapons. There's some cool stuff.

I fucked with mushrooms, what do i do now

Is it possible to cure fungus in cata:dda?

1)Find a good spot next to water
2)Start chopping trees and get a smokehouse (a 1X2 bulding with a fireplace) built as soon as possible
3)As you're doing that, also map out the surrounding area making note of where the big animals wander
4)Start a trap fence somewhere
5)Continue to map out the area while building your smokehouse and expanding your fence trap
6)Try to cycle activities as so:
-day 1: chop wood and build
-day 2: visit fence traps
-day 3: hunt and explore

A good way to explore the wilderness is to just travel in a straight line until you start to get tired, then build a shelter by water. Eventually, you will have a series of shelters, all about a day's walk apart, radiating from your main base. Build fence traps wherever there are recurring sightings of the big animals. When your smokehouse is done, you will have a way to preserve infinite meat while you get to work on your main cabin where you will have a bed for sleeping and a table for working hides as well as a second fireplace. If you continually check and expand your fence traps, you should be more than well-equipped to survive your first winter.

I don't believe you.

Anyway, to vent my autism, if you start itching, go to the town to the right of the map where you spawned. Find the monkey mayor, his house is on the left. Buy the one thing he sells, the book, or murder him for it.

Pray the recipe is feasible.
Then trek all the way to the top left desert town, I think it's called "Spire" and find the faggot who sells gels and spray-bottles.
Then try to make the potion and pray to god the corpse spawns after killing the monster, then pray the god damn spray bottle doesn't bug the fuck out like always when you try to put the ingredients in it.

i know its not a roguelike

but nostalgia/tilebased/turnbased

What tileset is that?I haven't played cdda in a while

Haven't either but it started coming with some bundled tilesets at a point. Might be one of them.

It's still in development but getting constant updates, and I wouldn't say I'm in a position to form an opinion on it, but from what I'm seeing people are still digging the game so I doubt it's been getting worse.

How do I git ud in Sil?

*git gud

made your post a draw request

saved

anyone have that flash game thats just an ascii rogue like

Holy shit, what's it called? Or is it included as default now? Because this looks infinitely better than the shitty ass default they had for a while.

If you like getting inspired to draw, get into Dwarf Fortress

fug, double posted

i made the request, not the draw
haven't seen those before
have some from one 'honestanon' from yknow

looks like there's a couple isometric tilesets out there
github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/14789