Video games with realistic health and injuries systems

Video games with realistic health and injuries systems

I was trying to make one but it quickly turned into a mindfuck that I can't even read anymore

I always thought that would be interesting. Take a concept like the premise of MGS3 and tell the player, "Okay, fuckface. If you get injured out there, you're on your own. Sprained ankle? Better fucking take care of it. Decide to jump off a cliff that's just a bit too far for you to land safely? Enjoy your cracked rib, because that motherfucker's staying with you unless you can work out some medical care before you complete your mission. You're literally on your fucking own."

And instead of GAINING health as you go along and wind up fighting the final boss with far more power than you started, the entire game is you PLAYING IT SAFE to retain as much of your original condition as you can so that you're able to actually beat the boss. I'm talking every kind of injury you can imagine. It'd require TECHNOLOGY to give the player situations (and actions) that could result in the injuries, but it's doable. But no, that's too "hard" to code, so no one would ever do it.

Autists would.
Dwarf Fortress

If a war game has a little segmented body in the bottom of the HUD you know you're in for a wild ride.

Far Cry 2.

Already shit.

Reported. Learn how to read.

That isn't too hard to code. Did you know Mechwarrior 4 blended hundreds of animations just to display correct positioning on inclines? Game developers do shit like this all the time. A couple hundred animations and states is nothing. They could be applied to both the player and all human enemies.

Lmao, you're out of your league, kid.

The X-Men: Wolverine game.

DEADLY AFRICANIZED WATER is about as close to "realistic" injuries you're gonna get without ruining pace in an action-heavy game. Otherwise, we have stuff like the healing system in CoC:DCotE, where different types of wounds require different treatment.

Pretty much. You also have the issue of people not wanting to play half the game as a cripple who cannot walk. As good as more realism sounds, most people tend to hate it as it becomes as tedious as real life; the thing people are trying to escape from. Far better to focus on immersion rather than realism.

A system that reduces your effectiveness by percentages depending on damage taken would be simple enough. Fall from too great a height and tell the player their ankle injury has reduced died by 25%. Or a chest injury affects your breathing, reducing stamina, etc. Stuff like breaking a leg would mean death pretty much, but give the player an option to keep playing for shits and giggles if they want, while the constant pain reduces their sanity. And make them physically kill their current player before they can roll a new one. That would trigger some snowflakes.

died = speed
Reduce speed by 25%
Fucking mobile

That could work in games similar to Rainbow Six that are split into operations. The player would have plenty of backups and injured characters could sit out missions to heal. Some may be out for good, others may come back with reduced stats.

aren't chiropractors non-medical doctors, whatever the fuck that means

There was this western horror game I remember my mate playing where you would bandage and apply first aid to different parts of the body. It had this brown colour palate and it sort of reminded me of amnesia, the NPCs spoke with a British accent too I believe.

Was it Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth?

Rimworld has probably the most detailed one so far.

Yep that's it, thanks.

provided you can make it work that is

I was about to post this. Too bad there's so much crafting and it gets tedious quickly.

From a steam review about the health system:

Is he going to be ok

nigga you serious?

Is it even being developed anymore?

wait until arma does it
in meantime, use arma mods

chiropractors are the ones that can use (mainstream) medical science but not necessarily
physiotherapists must use medical science else they get sued
both get paid well, so go pretend to be one using identity fraud

he just needs some panadol

There were these weird games from DOS era. Robinson's Requiem and DEUS I think. A survival game that UI is a total clusterfuck with autistic level of micromanagement.

you do realise that you are given a quest right from the beginning and that there are several optional unmarked unique encounters throughout the game for you to find , right?
the blue frogs isn't optional per se , it's just a matter of time so the sooner you go through with it the better

I know about them, but they're trivial and quickly done with when you get that ridiculously broken melee weapon (some kind of wrench, I think? I remember you could dispatch the wolf things like they were nothing with it, as well as that eldritch thing that came after you when you removed you know what)

What about injuries on robots?
Binary Domain had this greatly done any other games? (not sure if Synths in Fallout4 count)

CoC:DCotE had the best health system there is in vidya.
HUD are for pussies.
Broke your leg? You're limping and you're char sounds like it (he's in fucking agony). Shot in the arm? you can't aim for shit. Bleeding out? Beating heart, screen going black/white.

You've got a scratch? Got to open the inventory, take some gaze in your medkit apply it to the area? A cut? Same thing with suture. Broken limb? Use a splint.

You don't have any? Tough luck, as long as you're not bleeding out you won't die though…

Far Cry 2/3/4 system is this system (openly stated by devs IIRC) but terribly dumbed down as in they just kept the general idea for the animations.

I wonder why CoC got so much shit. The game was pretty good if you slogged through the admittedly shitty first hour

Is this why black men can't swim?

ARMA 3 with the ACE medical mod set to realistic.
I like it because it punishes scrubs hard but you are going to want long mission times so you can run proper medivac and get them back into the fight.
Also just like reality no matter how good you are you can get unlucky and be taken out in the first contact.

Get fucked. MGS3 was the best of the series and Burchs like you are the reason why 5 was complete bullshit in comparison.

Many parts of this post are wrong and here's why: in MGS3 all injuries heal themselves naturally with time, if you save and come back to the game later, they'll heal even faster.

Also, getting injuries is something you actually might want to do because while it is true that they temporarily reduce your maximum health it's also the only way to increase it. That's right, getting shot, burned, breaking your legs, arms and ribs increases your maximum health as they heal, so in reality you don't want to "play safe", you want to get as fucked up as you possible and healing either naturally or with meds. As an addition, getting a hundred arrows stuck permanently in Big Boss' body during the battle with The Fear looks cool and never gets old.
Sage for off topic.

Many parts of this post are wrong and here's why: in MGS3 all injuries heal themselves naturally with time, if you save and come back to the game later, they'll heal even faster.

Also, getting injuries is something you actually might want to do because while it is true that they temporarily reduce your maximum health it's also the only way to increase it. That's right, getting shot, burned, breaking your legs, arms and ribs increases your maximum health as they heal, so in reality you don't want to "play safe", you want to get as fucked up as you possible and healing either naturally or with meds. As an addition, getting a hundred arrows stuck permanently in Big Boss' body during the battle with The Fear looks cool and never gets old.

Sage for off topic.

This is codemonkey's fault.

This has been an issue since the beginning when HWs was running the show.

either you have an outdated version of the game or you're just shitposting and haven't even played it

Robinson's Requiem had a limb system where you would have specific body part damage, and inflictions where you'd have to do makeshift medical procedures or surgeries.

Depending on damage to your body or if you had loss limbs functions such as running, movement in general of you lost both legs, arm usage, etc would occur.

Yeah, but it hasn't happened to me in months, I figured they had fixed it, guess not.

A chiropractor made it so that I can turn my head without screaming after a fun car wreck. The treatment was legitimate, as I already knew the science behind using electrical pads to work muscles in localized groups, when macro movements are agonizing or otherwise not possible.

It was pretty well received IIRC, but didn't sell.

That's the reason nobody did horror games until Amnesia BTW.
This one and vampire bloodline.
Both games were good, both games got good reviews (despite bloodline having a game-breaking bug at release), both games got good feedback from the people that actually played them.

Both sold badly and bankrupted their studios.

Hahaha, enjoy your new disability.

I once managed to glitch it out so that I could remove all 4 limbs. The result was hilarious, the game was basically unplayable.

Game?

Neo Scavenger

i remember when i first played deus ex and accidentally set off a mine, my guy had to crawl because both legs were injured.
i thought that was the coolest thing and just imagined what games would do with that in the future.

Thanks friendo

What blows my mind Deus Ex is the only game I can recall where guys shooting you will actually run away if they're badly injured because they're afraid to fucking die.

Space Hulk: Deathwing

It has limb loss, and you actually could end up finishing a map with one arm and no legs.

Being the best doesn't mean it's perfect. All the menu fiddling shit with the camo and healing in MGS3 was pointless and slowed the game down rather more than they actually added to the experience. MGS4's OctoCamo was a better solution to the former issue, and MGS2's bleeding system was just a bit less tedious than the cure menu.

baystation

You're describing a lot of SWAT 4.

How about a game where instead of a health bar, characters have an endurance bar. Every blunt force hit damages your endurance, until you get knocked the fuck out at 0. Blunt weapons cause a lot of endurance damage, but slashing and piercing weapons have a much higher base critical hit chance. Critical hits cause different kinds of injuries depending on the weapon. These can range from minor long-term debuffs to permanent crippling. Or, in case of a fatal injury, instant death. Wearing armor coverts part or all of incoming damage into blunt damage, and drastically reduces the chances of receiving a critical hit. Furthermore, should a critical hit occur, wearing armor reduces the severity of the injury. However, piercing damage has a chance to ignore armor.

So slashing weapons would be great against unarmored targets, causing at least a minor injury with every hit that connects, with a good chance to kill instantly. Against heavy armor on the other hand, you'd preferably either use blunt weapons for massive blunt damage and just bash the fucker until he drops into a coma, or use piercing weapons and try to cause injury through the armor.

where the is that from?

that just reminded me of SWAT4.

home made sex doll.

Fascinating but I doubt anyone would really go too far with it. In reality, people generally arent badass enough to walk off minor pain like a sprained ankle or a broken limb, much less the kind of shit video game players are expected to go through. Plus unless modern medicine is applied the most the player could do in a high stress situation is apply pain killers (which in real life are not instantaneous)

Cool in concept but it'll only work in a tactical type game like Xcom, dwarf fortress, or overhead rpgs.

so you've never done IV fentanyl or heroin i take it?

I'm not sure if that's the kind of thing you'd want in a high stress situation either.

Arma sounds nice but the problem with the series has always been finding people to play with.

lol you know chiropractors believe in some absolutely retarded shit, right? It's all fucking mystical shit no better than acupuncture.

Yes, unfucking some hunchback teenager's posture or an elderly farmer with back problems is totally "mystical shit."

it'll calm you down… slow that heart rate.

It's not really a glitch, it's possible to keep yourself stable enough to not go mad or collapse from pain with enough meds. It really is pretty hilarious becoming a human slug.

Fallout is the closest I've seen.

Just torrent a copy of new vegas, it's the best one. Funny how the one not made by Bethesda is the best one.

I mean, sure. It's not exactly realistic to be able to remove all of one's limbs but with a bit of mental gymnastics you can justify it.

fallout 4 did it better

This game is a really good example of a terrific concept but mediocre execution. There are lots of rough edges and lots of improvements that could be made. But the game is apparently released and no longer being developed. For example you can get skill for lock picking but you cant create a lock or a barricade, you can sleep in a camp site but there is no way to fortify upgrade or build a shelter you. Lots of basic real life logic things are missing and its really disappointing, there are stupid little video gamey implications such as the fact that a water bottle cant fit in a pants/cargo pants pocket, hoodie etc that enrages me and simple little illogical oversights like that. But at the same time the game is a slightly above average video game in general. I think its a relatively enjoyable game that is worth a little of your time. Pirate I am pretty sure the dev is a sjw.

I disagree, this game is unique in that micro management is the main game mechanic/appeal(it sounds weird but its true): importance/prominence of the games mechanics are as follows; resource/item/inventory management > status effect management > map movement > combat. All the way at the bottom it doesn't make the worlds most compelling game unless you have autism. But occasionally turning the game on scavenging a little then rearranging your inventory fills a niche that nothing else does.

Its a game with a story you know. You could complete it maybe. Set up a camp. Scavenge things. Take off your talisman then google what you see so it doesn't end your run. Dont get too close or your dead. Put it back on to stop it.

that sounds nice
I just got done replaying mass effect one. Where enemies break cover to run up to you with a sniper rifle and then keep running past because they want some sweet Krogan jizz from Wrex

I've been trying to come up with a /tg/ combat system like this. There wouldn't be hit points, you die from shock, blood loss, heart failure, asphyxiation, etc. Shoot someone twenty times in the arm? That's nice, but they can only bleed so fast.
my army manual had a lot of good insights for all the things that can happen to a person, but every time I think I'm done I find something I missed

Throw in the fact that I'm trying to make all weapons, from knives to hammers effective in different ways and it's a nightmare of dice

I don't remember where exactly it was from, but it's not real.

The skelly pic in the back gives it away, too on the nose

I can fap to this.

The devs won't get the money if you bought it anyways, bethesda would. Even if it doesn't matter with obsidian going down the hole anyways.

Pick one

It's not the difficulty of making something like this that stops it from existing. It would be easy to make. The issue is that if the system is robust enough to matter the player can very easily end up in an unwinnable situation and not know it for a long time.

Perfect Dark does this too.
they also raise their hands if they're unarmed and you point a gun at them

But the Best was MGS2, take the nostalgia off. It aged like shit while MGS2 aged nicely. The bosses in 3 were the worst in the series before MGS4 was out. It just gets points because muh boss death. Why the hell would I give a shit about someone who sends her entire team of veterans at me and tries her hardest to kill me at the end.

So what's with Pepsi triggering SJWs? What have I missed?

Dark Messiah has this. Guys will run to get help if you injure them. Enough points in daggers unlocks a dagger throw on said guys to stop them alerting others.

Shadow of Mordor too, those fucking captains always ran away from me at near death before I got a skill to get to them immediately/throwing daggers

For what purpose, Holla Forums?

nigger wot?

That fucking video, user.
Chiropractors.
Buncha quacks, I'm telling you.

Also, is that fucking Ganon from Faces of Evil at 6:55?

chiropractors aren't quacks, and holy shit I just noticed yes that is ganon.

Chiropractors confirmed for YouTube Poop auteurs?

I hope so, we need more YTP.

I went to a chiropractor once and he fucked up my back even worse than is was. Visit a sports masseuse if you want real help.

That would require having experience and knowledge in being injured a lot

The predecessor Arx Fatalis does as well.

It's a great game and unlike any other but you are not wrong about how hard it is to find a good group these days.
My group recently died due to internal political bullshit, now I'm stuck looking for another group that isn't full milsim autism but still maintains a decent standard so we can actually do interesting missions without noobs fucking everything up.

This is a fair point, I slid off a wet curb wearing slippers a couple of years ago, I was basically off my feet for 2 months, hobbling for 3 months and the pain took 7 months in total to fully vanish.

Chiropractors aren't real doctors for a reason

Why isn't there a video game with a realistic insemination feature?

roblox

I have seem that in a LOT of games
If think what Arx Fatalis did was more interesting, the enemies would run shitting their pants if you were too brutal(too gud) with another

agree, it was extremely fun at the beginning, but there was almost nothing to do.
It was fun following the light in the night, gaining access to the city, exploring on what happend and meeting the crippling that fucked you. but it all just ends so abruptly and there is suddenly no goal left. stumbled on accident on another quest and randomly during it I blew up the factory and was sent to some other continent and the game was just so suddenly over.

I suppose I could try to explore a bit more what to do with the ghost, and the necklace, but it feels like endless grinding for something that might or might not be something

I NEED the source on that last pic and any other text-games like that

I've been looking for any decent text-games for years now

lurkmoar

Bones grow back stronger where they broke but that focuses the force from another injury towards the points next to where it broke last time instead of spreading it evenly. If you break a limb it's easier to break it again.

It's not a text game

>The Holla Forums Shitposter Private scratches the surface of gaming in the lower body with his , exposing his lamentable ignorance!

I've never heard that, it's actually a really clever piece of game design, adjusting the difficulty a little in response to the skill of the player.

Adrenalin usually doesn't work that way user. I got my leg sliced open right near an artery, I couldn't put an pressure on it/stand even though I didn't feel it.

It's not a text game, but you're still retarded for not knowing it.

I've played Dwarf Fortress but that wasn't what it looked like to me

hit (r)eport, sometimes you can get a combat log and it'll list a fight sequence

How long did you even play if you never saw that screen? A total of five minutes?

Good idea on paper, horrible idea on pratice.
it's like breakable items and hunger bars in survival games, instead of giving the player a sense of a realism, it will just come as restrictive and boring, it will only make it feel like work.

great game op