Anybody else here a fan of these style of games? I son't really know what to call em so I guess: top-down...

Anybody else here a fan of these style of games? I son't really know what to call em so I guess: top-down, fast-paced action games?

I've played these a lot and I'm looking for more

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!7kMWGLwB
mega.nz/#F!7kMWGLwB!4JL3jPjVSiANtKT_Kflgfg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I really wanna like light drifter but something about it bugs the fuck out of me.

I've never played any of those games, but have you checked out the more recent Ys games? They seem similar.

It's the fact that the lighting doesn't look anything like ti would on an actual 16-bit console.

hyper light drifter could've done a couple things that would've really made it better.

this is a given
This is a given for those who played the preview. I have it if you want it
A last boss should never be a pushover

Hammerwatch, kind of. You listed Terranigma, but have you played the other two Soul Blazer games?

Haven't given it a try yet, but Xak: The Art of the Visual Stage for the SFC now has a bugfixed fan-translation patch (IE: v1.10); might be what you're looking for. Heard it's rather similar to old school Ys.

"Action RPG" is what we usually called them.

Try Crosscode. The demo was good, haven't played the final release and don't know if it's out yet or not.

My favorite genre is top down hack and slash games followed closely by 3D behind the back types like Platinum and DMC games.

If I ever make enough money to game dev in my free time I'll make one myself and it'll be generic campy happy where the good guys are good and the badguys are bad. It'll involve space themes as well as religious but set on the surface of a ship graveyard planet that's a jungle.

The first soul blazer is actually my favorite.

This game had too many problems and they never wanted to fix them. That's why it's a shit game. It had lots of potential though.

fucked up my >

I purely wanted to state the mechanical fixes that are more of a given.
there are a lot of tiny gripes that are more opinionated like the fact you start out with nothing unless you do the ng+ run. but like I said minor gripes.

other then that Terranigma is probably my favorite because it has different types of moves and magic along with NO STAMINA BAR. I really don't like stamina bars in a game like this. I understand them being in a game like Dark souls.

soon were gonna get Ruiner which looks pretty fun.

I dunno if the dev of this game is here, in this very thread, watching, menacingly, but if he is, I just want to tell him that I'm current steam sharing it from my cus and it's ok. It seems like he added a lot of empty spaces in the game for nothing. Like there's areas where nothing happens, where there should be bad guys but it's just one giant bridge or one giant floor with nothing. Another thing is that the game is too easy even on hard.
I know the devs shills on here sometimes and supposedly he's an sjw, but I didn't seen to find anything sjwlike in the game.

pixelart chiptunes you can almost always assume it's an sjw

I tried Illusion of Gaia but I couldn't get into it. It just made me want to play Terranigma more. I might try it again and soul blazer too. Hammerwatch looks a bit too spammy to me.

Post the preview.

okay. How do you share on MEGA again?

I think the final version is out in May, but I will second this notion. I pirated it and then eventually shelled out early for the final release which I should know better. the price might go up at launch, tho….

I've already had it on MEGA when I shared it with a friend. how do I make it a public download like on the /share/ threads

mega.nz/#F!7kMWGLwB

here we go this should've worked

It's pretty fun

mega.nz/#F!7kMWGLwB!4JL3jPjVSiANtKT_Kflgfg
whoops, here we go

Thanks.

Hammerwatch felt incredibly soul-less to me. Like, it was mechanically sound, but there was no reason to be playing it.

I associate the term Action RPG more with clicker-shit like Diablo and Path of Exile. These games are more similar to Zelda which gets thrown in the action adventure genre.

(nice trips)
HyperLight could have been good but the frame-rate, and the weird colour palette (the inability to differentiate between foreground and background based on colours is a big bugbear for me), as well as the weird dash (did it even have i-frames?) made it average at best.

For similar games there's Crystalis on NES, 3D Dot Game Heroes on PS3, Sword of Mana on GBA (though not as good as Secret of Mana and it has no co-op), and Shipwreck on Steam, which is an homage/rip-off of Link's Awakening.

I'll look in to this shipwreck. Link's Awakening was the only good Zelda game.

Hammerwatch is more fun with a friend, I wouldn't play it solo

Is leveling a factor in it?
leveling was the main part of terranigma I didn't like. I like it when its like hyper light drifter and enemies are more difficult because they have better moves but damage tends to be the same

HAHAHA the preview is much better this is laughable. They still have the shitty framerate. Why doesn't a game like this run at 144 or at least 60?

I mean the preview is a much more enjoyable experience than the complete game, much like the Rockhman Dash 2 demo…

dude its cause of the stamina bar

its not present in the preview

its a night and day difference when you can do all the super awesome stuff whenever you want

aaaaannd the weapons are better in the preview. they for some reason got rid of the geometry shotgun and gauss rifle

By similar you don't mean bump combat right?

I'm fine with the last boss being easier and more cinematic so long as the penultimate boss is really challenging.

As for recommendations I would go with Beyond Oasis for the Genesis and Legend of Oasis for the Saturn, also, Ys the Oath in Felghana is a fuggin masterpiece.

for awhile I was talking to the dev of the game on twitter after I showed him a speedrun I did of the preview. I wanted the game to turn out just the way I liked so I was showing him glitches I was encountering while playing the preview.

then the game came out…

I messaged him about the problems and he kept saying that they had no time left…
I told him that made no sense since the game could be released any time they wanted it too yet they released it with dlc coming after and NO CO-OP.
and most of all I kept pestering him about why they changed the mechanics and combat. THATS ALL I WANTED TO KNOW.
He ignored it and started talking about Holla Forums being full of trash.
I stopped talking to him after that but I might shoot him a message again

Reading the patch release post on Dynamic Designs, from the sound of things, it's not bump combat. More that the "overall layout, tone, and art style" are Ys-like, while the player can make the protagonist swing his sword when they choose.

Playing secret of Mana right now actually. Or I was until I reached the underground fortress boss. It really fucking helps that I played Evermore prior to this because I would be lost on how to beat his faggot ass. Basically I'm gonna level up my Ice Magic I guess. Dunno how to refill my MP though. A consumable I'm sure. Sucks that there's no item descriptions or anything but I guess that would be in the manual.

Anyway I started playing Illusions of Gaia but the characters felt like husks and I wasn't a fan of the missables. It's an RPG but I looked up what getting every single red crystal does and that's a pretty fucking severe punishment for missing a single red crystal. I might end up playing it again but I'm going to use a guide for any missables nothing else though.

I'll definitely check it out then.

Leveling is a part (as is buying items) but there's no grinding, you just push through as far as you can.

I think there was screen caps of his Twitter where he talked shit about gg or something but I don't remember.

I also find it better there's no stopping for plot shit and no words but you can figure out what's going on. Also you move faster and even though you don't flash after you get hit enemies won't streamline you and hit you over and over. It's of course fun to do fun stuff whenever you want, don't you like to be cuhrayze?

They're called Action RPGs

Yes in japan in the 80s when hydlide, zelda, druaga, and dragon slayer came out everyone was calling them ak shun ar pee gee zu

yeah, there were. I was one of the people capping em

Post it, please, user-sama?

post the caps, dawg.

so far all i can find. this was last year. still looking for the gamergate one

btw this was me showing him how angry anons were with his changes. Me and a couple other anons were obsessed with the preview and thought the final game was gonna be fantastic. but they had to change it when they didn't need too. I have my theories that beau blyth's original plan for the game got fuked up by his co-workers, or he showed up later and Burched whoever the original combat designer was. Either way Beau Blyth was either the savior or the faggot. and it's so hard to tell, cause at times he looks like a sjw while at others he looks like a friendly user

Never been here, you can tell. That's just the kind of accusation thrown around by one of the useful idiots though.

I don't know if I should have expected any better.

So I made I got Salamando or whatever in Mana and am grinding to raise his stats because that's apparently that's the formula. Go to new area, find the next elemental and then grind the fuck out of them to raise stats so you stand a chance during the boss fight. Still I got him to level 2 so I think that's enough.

Y'know I gotta say as much as Evermore was just a westernized version of this game it's UI was a ton quicker. Especially considering I'm stocked up on every consumable available. Still gotta say once you know what magic type will fuck up a boss it's just a matter of spamming spells to win unless it somehow manages to stunlock you into a corner or it's immune. Gotta say though, not really interested in this combat mechanic. At least in Evermore you were obviously OP and fucked shit up easily after you got the heal recipe so you could just goof off and play around. In this there's really no variety in play style. Just rely on weapons for the enemies and when the boss comes around fuck him up with whatever spell he's weak against. Maybe it will get more advanced as I go along but right not the only thing going for me is the environments and music. Which are pretty fucking great. If only the same could be said for the character dialog and plot.

Jesus fuck I need to sleep.

Legacy of Goku 2 might interest you OP

It doesn't really get more advanced. Secret of Mana is at its best early on, I'd say maybe up to the desert. At that point I think the pacing dips and doesn't recover.

Eh, you aren't missing anything special. I've played IoG both ways (getting all gems vs getting ones I can find/remember) and I preferred not having to bother with keeping a guide open at all times.

One thing that HLD does just right is its dash mechanic.
I expected something similar to be in automata, but unfortunately it's not like that at all.
The only other game(s) that does dashing in a similar way I think is trickster dodge in DMC3 and 4, but it doesn't have timing or inertia build up or any reprecussions for spamming it.

I wonder if there is any other game, 2D or 3D doesn't matter, that has nailed dashing fucntion just as good as HLD.

Yeah, I find Diablo-likes or even just the Diablo-style camera+movement to be thouroughly meh. I've always thought of the term "action RPGs" as being chiefly this style kind of games, and have been disappointed that at some point they've all but vanished in favor of other styles.

Zelda, to me, is only an outlier because it doesn't have experience and levels. So I still internalize Zelda's design as otherwise being "action RPG game". I don't like to think about what genre that makes Zelda, because there honestly aren't many games that fall into this middle ground.

Sounds like your average dev, excuses and gaymergate boogeyman

This, that game is the shit

I think they're called "shit."

I pirated HLD to see how it runs but it just randomly stutters and shit. I tried capping the fps to 30 but the stuttering is the same and I notice the framerate.
My PC isn't bad and can run anything else I throw at it, why does this one game have this problem?

I don't think Seiken II is that good anyway. Evermore had a better story and environment and I think music since the Fallout/Wastleand guy does the tracks. Seiken 3 is really good though even if it never once picks up you just journey around to fight more enemies.

Poor programming. It's funny that Fez runs better. I have a pretty powerful machine and it runs poorly in comparison to much more resource taxing games.

How is dashing done "right"?

Action rpg's. How new are you?

that's enough for me to never support these fags

I think as a westerner you can argue these aren't rpgs but lite computer role playing elements in an action game.

No start up frames, fast, has invul frames, with the right timing you can chain dashes one after another, successful chaining builds up speed and distance, if you slip up you get failed dash with no invul frames and if there is a wall in front of you ramming into it results in damage.

Seiken 2 compensates for some of the things you are complaining about by having 3-player bro-op. If you aren't playing with friends, the game is drastically less good.

Evermore, as you have realized, is superior for the 1-player experience. Personally, I'm of the opinion that Evermore is superior all around.

that's why

they're called
action
rpgs

holy shit

diablo has basically no roleplaying elements

baldurs gate dark alliance has barely any

vanhelsing
grim dawn

basically none

the only one close to RPG is path of exile

and even then, HLD is basically just a link to the past, made in 2016, with better movement..

it has more in common with fucking smash TV / robotron than fucking an RPG

not with keyboard and mouse it doesnt

dark souls / any fucking game including battlerite when playing as jumong:

aim up, press A or D, and dash. you'd go left or right.

in HLD? you dash Up, towards your mouse cursor, not the direction of the movement key you're pressing.

terrible game

and 30 fps? FUCKING DROPPED

Schizo user, eto ti?

Diablo is a dungeon crawler, or a modernized roguelike.

Roguelite, if anything.

+ Complex itemization
+ (Optional) Permadeath
+ Random environment generation
+ Non-modal
+ Hack and slash

- Low complexity other than items
- Not turn-based
- Not grid-based
- Shallow resource management

That's an interesting cover for SoE. Only ever saw the North American version with the giant red bug boss thing on it.

Hey OP, you should fuck off.

it aint out yet but something along what you are looking for

that looks fun if they add more options of attack before it gets released.

more options = more fun

I figured since the same happened in Evermore. Though I just finished the last seed and the temple is actually pretty tough. So it's making up for itself a bit at least.

Generally if the AI was a little less retarded it would be a solid game either way. But the game is easy enough with 1 person honestly. Though Evermore is better all around I guess. Maybe not in music though. The gameplay is "technically" more shallow, but when you're OP as fuck it's almost like a sandbox game with neat environments. I only wish it had replay ability.

foiled again by anons who have eyes

Just try Soul Blazer. I guarantee you'll put a good 20 hours into it at least. There's a lot of shit to do and it's really, really cozy. It has an awesome item/upgrade system too.

I had the pleasure of having it on the SNES as a kid and maybe it's just nostalgia but I could play it any time.

apparently HLD is modder friendly

what should I mod

first off im making the stamina bar waaaay bigger and you start the game with multidash and other skills.

what else should i fix?

nevermind. only editable stuff is maps. can't edit the mechanics.

Are there any games on the n64 like this?

Wasn't there a goemon for n64?

Fix it so you can go crazy from the start, eliminating the stress bar, also rapid dashing and remove all text.

nvm goemon was more like a 2.5D platformer on n64.

Two, actually. Neither of which Konami gave enough of a shit about rereleasing for the VC.

bummer cause I've got a favorite game on like every console except for the n64. n64 games tend to be dumb collectathons or are outclassed by later games on later consoles. super mario 64 is at the top of my list but hardly a favorite.

That genre is called Hack-&-Slash.

Terranigma is the shit. I never really liked the AI party system of Secret of Mana. I don't know if it was just because I played it as a kid, but it felt like enemies were tuned for multiple characters, but the party AI was too stupid to be effective. So I was essentially soloing enemies designed to be fought by three characters and getting steam rolled.

In my opinion the two games with the most enjoyable dashing are Suguri and Lethal Crisis.

In the first the dash allows to cancel out attack animations and you can go between defensive / offensive maneuvers fluidly. It's particularly satisfying when you use a dash attack in such a way that the brief inertia causes you to move right next to an enemy for great point blank damage.
In the latter I find it fun since there are 9 different dash attacks/skills and one of them feels like you're gust of blades tearing through enemy hordes.

Illusion of Gaia is very similar to SoM and Terranigma

Secret Of Mana will always be the 1st game i stick in my SNES when i dig it out to play due to good combat, OST and a surprisingly good story.
This needs to be redone for the Virtual console.
Fucking Spiky Tiger is bullshit

why live?

Shame it's terrible.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is dogshit

I wish the old time back, sitting in front of my old tv playing snes games.

whats stopping you from playing SNES games right now?

On work, just have this shitty ipad.

literally why

I know, i hate it too. But there is nothing else. At least i can shitpost here.

I'd recommend looking into modding a Wii to run emulators and downloaded games off an SD card, but you kind of need access to something with either an SD card slot or a USB socket (which would also need an SD card reader USB accessory) to be able to dump roms to, let alone set it up to mod the system to begin with.

I thought Secret of Mana already had a VC rerelease. Though, I'd wager chances are NoA gets a decent cut of the profit for hosting games, and after what they've done I really don't feel like giving them money again.

Holy fucking shit i'm checking right now, maybe i missed its release.
Except disappointment.

Wait, which system's Virtual Console were you talking about? Because I'd swear it had at least a rerelease for the Wii's VC. Namely because I remember a friend I used to have playing it on his on his Wii, and of my friends, none of them were/are into console modding or emulation, so I highly doubt it was run through a port of SNES9X, or whatever the Wii's SNES emulation option was.

I could perhaps see the game having been pulled from the VC after licensing ran out or something (the way SNES staples like Donkey Kong Country were suddenly unavailable to buy for a good two or three years until Nintendo cared enough to renew them), or the VCs between Nintendo systems don't exactly sync up as far as having static availability for what older systems a newer one can handle playing, or even just what games are allowed to be bought for the system.

I was going to ask about Chaos Seed for this thread too. It's another top down action game where you create your own path through caves.

Seiken Desnetsu 3 played itself
those who say it was good didn't actually play it
it looks neat, that's about it

woah, chaos seed looks pretty fun. Can't find any footage of someone playing it well though.

"Action Adventure RPG" is the genre you're looking for

Does it have a decent story/characters? I feel like playing a shitty rpg with some feel good characters.

Also hows Legend of Mana?

depends on your definition of decent characters

It's actually great.

its shit

Does it feel like a fun adventure I guess is all I'm saying. Soulblazer is a game that plays itself but it had some cute and fun moments so I kept along with it. What I really want though is decent dialog that doesn't feel to straight forward like old SNES action RPG's. Shit I got done playing Secret of Mana and it's like they expect me to empathize with these characters when I barely fucking know any of them.

If you consider missables and awkward story telling great then sure, it's great. I will say it has a great art style and the gameplay isn't terrible, but good luck doing that final secret dungeon when you realized you didn't talk to everybody before you moved the game along and it's now impossible. It's probably more fun with a guide that tells you how to not irrevocably fuck up but then I think there's a problem in that very phrase.

I bought an SNES + Secret of Evermore cartridge 2 days ago. First time playing.

I don't know what it is about these games, but somehow they have a very strong "underrated" atmosphere. Read that as in, an atmosphere that gives an underrated vibe. Not an atmosphere that is underrated.

Why is this game so good, anyway? It's literally just a Zelda game with RPG elements tacked onto it. Why am I having fun?

The gameplay is essentially a clone of Secret of Mana which might be a clone from something else. Anyway Evermore is just a westernized version of SoM but it had the good grace to not be a fucking grind fest and also cut the shit that wasn't needed/felt like padding. The UI is also a lot quicker to navigate thank god and it's actually meant for 1 player.

I found its writing insipid. There are few action RPGs with passable dialogues on the SNES, I blame that on poor translation standards. If you want things like that try Tales of Destiny or Ys 7.

Yea I felt like the translations were more to blame. Which is why I moved on to the PS1. It's gonna be fun going through every game on this list under RPG and finding out if it's turn based or not. Whoever made this spreadsheet fucked up big.

I'll probably play SoM as soon as I beat Evermore. I tried playing Mana on an emulator one time but thing is half the sprites were invisible and some audio tracks weren't playing. Seemed pretty fun otherwise.

Basically it's just a slower version of evermore with more grinding and less RADium. Still a decent game. Just keep in mind you're playing arguably the best Action RPG the system has to offer.

the action games I identify there are
Kings's Field
Shadow Tower
Star Ocean
Tales
Threads of Fate

Turn based or not, you should play SaGa Frontier. I just got done yesterday and it's phenomenal

Noted. They'll all go into my backlist and never be heard from again.

Are all spells in Terranigma consumables like the fire and ice rings/is there another use for magirock?

Maybe If you're 12 and you've never read a book before.

That's the "mana" series in a nut shell. The only reason people still recommend it is because of muh multiplayer.

mana 2 is alright, aside from the auto attacks most enemies have. Terranigma and HLD is better in that department where you can manually dodge and block as opposed to praying to RNGeesus.

Sorry guys the more I look into trying to mod this shit the more walls I come across.
You'd think since it was made in game maker that would make it easy. Like I figured there'd be some .ini file I could mess. sadly the only .ini file is about in game options.

Secret of Mana still has some of the best art in vidya, especially the landscapes.

I've seen better honestly. It's good and nice but forgettable. I remember Super Mario World's art style more than I remember Mana.

These niggas know what's up. CrossCode is fucking fantastic. Play this shit, OP. It's basically Secret of Mana mixed with Phantasy Star. It's great.

And Seiken Densetsu 3 if you haven't already.

Secret of Mana is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Easily in the top three. Soul Blazer also has one of my favorite music tracks in any video game.

got a MEGA?

I'd argue that Shadowrun on the Genesis is one of the best Action RPGs ever made. If you haven't checked it out, give it a go. It's pretty grindy but the grinding is shadowruns so it's a fun grind.

Go to RadicalFish's website, you can literally play the demo in your browser.

Probably won't be a MEGA until the full thing comes out next month, since it's limited to Steam Early Access at the moment.

Wrong image.

So a really poorly written multiplayer phantasy star with terrible combat? Sounds great….