Any lefty friends learning languages? I'm teaching myself French now...

Any lefty friends learning languages? I'm teaching myself French now. Plan is to go over to France in a month and workaway for a year or so until I'm close to fluent.

Other urls found in this thread:

duolingo.com/
memrise.com/
duolingo.com/ben_muir
youtube.com/watch?v=AdfwQXJ0ZVM
youtube.com/watch?v=39QICfZrqdY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mi lernas esperanton!

Language is a spook. Pretty decent Arabic and Spanish.

Fuck off.

Cool! Why did you choose Esperanto?

Duolingo and Memrise are two good (free) online resources, btw. If you use them both together for the same language it's even more effective. Memrise has more languages but Duolingo has a community with comments that help explain how things work, and a much better interface IMO.

duolingo.com/
memrise.com/

Chinese
我是荷兰人

我学习汉语

Kiel longe vi estis lernanta?

I wanna learn 日本語! But bad stuff just keeps happening in my life… I'm still gonna try my best, though!

Ive dipped my toes in japanese and chinese but I think japanese is by far harder.

Every chinese character has only one pronounciation in chinese and a mostly also a general meaning, but in japanese it has a japanese reading and one or more phonetic readings which is based on ancient chinese. A word or symbol can be used in a sentence without ever using its meaning. In addition to that, japanese has like a million verb inflections, while chinese doesnt have anything but the base verb.

Both have words made from multiple characters though, so theres not a lot of difference there, but japanese adopted a lot of features that dont really fit the language from chinese.

But then on the other hand, japanese is phonetically readable, especially comics, which makes it easier to look up words or know what they are without having to know the hanzi/kanji.

I think it's fascinating that there's a conlang that's actually living.

Kiom?
Pli ol unu jaro sed estis monatoj kiam mi nenion lernis. Mi maldiligentas….

Life is amazing, those fucking weebs will never know how awesome bandes dessaines are

Jes, kiom. Mi ankaux maldiligentas.. Mi devus studi pli. Mi ne havas amikoj por paroli en Esperanto.

也是荷兰人啊,海爷学汉语。你住左右哪里?

/lefty/friends add me on duolingo!!

duolingo.com/ben_muir

i made my account about a month ago and have started using it this week

i'm doing esperanto, which i already know, german, and dutch

But he's right about Franco-Belgian comics

there's an Esperanto board on here btw

fug try again

>>>/esperanto/

hold the fuck up mate im not that good yet, i have only had like 7 lessons.

But i leave near rotterdam.

i used google translate

I spend some time trying to learn a foreign language a few years ago. Then I realized I'm an autistic fuck who never speaks to anyone anyway and couldn't really come up with any practical purpose for my efforts.

Ni povus esti amikoj

Japanese is a far easier language to pronounce then chinese. It's true that the writing system might be a bit more difficult though.

How is it more difficult? The hiragana and katakana are piss easy. All the difficult parts are lifted from the Chinese hanzi, which seem to have been invented by Satan himself to punish humanity.

learning Kurdish is hell, but atleast I'm a NEET so I'm making steady progress.

Same actually, though I just started, and its the first language I'm trying to learn on my own outside of an academic context.

What are you using to learn?

It's a bit more difficult because kanji can have several different readings, while chinese hanzi for the most part have only one reading.

I could easily just, use the internet in capacity, but I decided on shelling out for a textbook. I'm more interested in just a basic education of it that isn't cursory the internet provides, or doesn't require a lot of sleuthing to find.

I'm more of a physical kind of learner when it comes to language anyways.

The internet, anything computer in general, is somewhat distracting.

are you thinking of joining up?

Japanese took chinese, invented several readings for each character, and went to town.

OP is using this youtube channel for French and finding it pretty useful.

youtube.com/watch?v=AdfwQXJ0ZVM

がんばって、アノンくん!

The verb conjugations aren't anywhere near as bad as most European languages. At least in Japanese they have rules and they follow those rules. There are only two irregular verbs in the entire language and they're so common that you pick them up naturally.
You're right about the numerous kanji pronunciations though.

which book?

Esperanto, Interlinguistics, and Planned Language. I admit its not a good primer but its an interesting read. I'm not fully committed to per se learning at first, then getting a kind of understanding of it before diving in.

哈哈,抱歉。加油啊,你会变得更好!

那,你是鹿特丹人吗?你汉语学校叫什么?这里的叫"Chinese College Nederland",相信这个学院也有个鹿特丹版。

用谷歌翻译,佬。

Ik studeer het niet voltijd, het is een keuzevak voor een periode, maar ik ga volgend schooljaar op stage in China dus een woordje mandarijn kunnen is handig.

Bij een uni? En wat ga je in Sjiena studeren?

Umiem polski, bo jestem polakiem robakiem.

Bet moku taip pat kalbeti truputi lietuviskai.

И по русски могу тоже что-нибудь написать. Но хотел б дале учиться русского язика, ведь это язик револуцйи.

Srpski/hrvatski jezik je lijepi. To je vrlo elegantan slavjanski jezik. Ali nihuja njegov ne znam :—DDD

are you gonna do it?

Je parle le Francais, d'abord parce que je suis une sale baguette.

Ik spreek ook Nederlands; mijn grootouders zijn na de tweede wereldoorlog naar 't land gegaan om daar bij de ESA te werken i.v.m. de slechte arbeidsmogelijkheden in Frankrijk. Hierdoor heb ik uiteindelijke de Nederlands-Franse nationaliteit.

My English is also great because my entire elementary years were spent in the Dutch international community of the Hague, at an international elementary school and two years of high school, lingua franca being English.

然后,我一直在两年学国语。此外,我以前三个月住在中国,上月从中国回荷兰来啊。

Ik zit opt hbo, ik ga een stage informatica doen die vanuit school word georganiseerd. Best leuk.

im learning basic esperanto right now via duolingo

its pretty awesome the way the app is designed, and im progressing kinda fast due to the fact that im fluent in several romance languages and also my latin is pretty ok

i plan to start learning basic russian this year

Nice. Heb zelf ook stage gedaan in China; linguistiek bij het Confucius instituut te Futian, Shenzhen. Hopelijk heb je net zoals ik een leuke buurt, en bij mij was 't leuke dat ik in het Silicon valley van China zat (snel en geen censuur op het internet) en tegelijkertijd op maar zo'n 20 kilometer verwijderd van Hong Kong, waar je voor bijna niets in een kwartier bent met de trein.

Ahnee ik zit in xiamen.

Xiamen is echt niet slecht van wat ik weet; luchtkwaliteit is buitengewoon goed wat betreft China en het is zuidwaarts dus altijd warm. Xiamen hangt ook op de westerse rand van de Fujian provincie, wat aanslaat op Guangdong (waar Shenzhen zit) en waar de informatica ontwikkelingszones zitten. Absoluut veel beter dan de Hebei provincie, waar een aantal oud-medestudenten jammer genoeg heen gingen voor hun uitwisseling.

Sentas bona, familio

Y'all niggas need >>>/lang/

Right now I'm trying to literally start with the Greeks by learning Koine Greek and Latin
>tfw I want to profess in linguistics but I haven't fully learned a single language outside of the Koine Greek alphabet and Hiragana/Katakana, and even that's shaky
>tfw yuropoors like grew up learning at least 2-3 languages

I am thinking of learning Russian.

I was doing Japanese a couple of years ago and got good at it but I was in hospital for weeks and couldn't practice and never went back to it because of how fucked up I was afterwards. Also, I think I sort of grew out of my weeb phase.

damn all these Esperanto posts are making me think about learning it

I want to learn it too, but the only reason I would ever use it is to play a Dozen or so old-ass JRPGs that will never get a translation patch.
How hard would be to go through a game with no kanji?

I foy umean you dont got kanji, it can be really hard.

If you mean the game has no kanji, its easier to read, since its phonetic.

Any tips on learning multiple languages at a time? I tried to tackle about 4 languages at once and have made little progress over a year.

feels bad man

Sentas tre bone, kamarado (Kvankam, mi ne certas, ke tiu estas la ĝusta traduko)

Do it m8. It's a fun language and even if it stays an autistic meme, it'll still teach you to understand your native language better and help you learn future languages easier and quicker.

My tip is: don't

Learn attic greek instead. Koine comes from attic and is much more simplified. If you want to read anything worthwhile in ancient greek, LEARN ATTIC.

t. Latin teacher and greek reader and OP

Ancient Greek is overrated.

t. Greek that had to learn it in school.

I find this notion very American. I recently had a discussion with one of my professors (Eastern-European), whose youth was shadowed by the Iron-curtain, and due to the objective forces of separation from other European countries he had to learn French through reading texts.

Learning languages has nothing to do with actually "being there," where it is practiced, and so on.

You can learn French (language X) without being in the territory where they practice it. All it takes is self-discipline and reading books, such as Rancière's The Ignorant Schoolmaster.

First, it's a bad idea. Acquiring a proficientl level in two languages consecutively will take less time that learning them at once, especially if you have never studied a language on your own and have to 'learn how to learn' a foreign language. It will be less frustrating since you'll faster come to the point where you can interact with native material.

Second, if you still want to do it only pick languages that are very different from each other. Italian and Japanese are fine but not Italian and Spanish. It will make youconfused and mix up stuff.

The point is that going there; on an exchange or working there or whatever forcibly immerges you into using the language very frequently, meaning you learn it very fast and responsively.

Of course you can do it all by yourself, but chances are your spoken will end up shoddy, and it'll take much more discipline in general.

You are right but it depends on for how long you are going to stay. If you start out with zero skills then this will make you waste a lot of time trying to acquire the basics especially if you don'receive any instruction before you can have any meaningful interaction with natives.

This can be a very frustrating experience and even cause someone to withdraw into the infamous expat bubble.

It's always better to at least acquire a basic or intermediate level before a stay

youtube.com/watch?v=39QICfZrqdY

Watch this talk on learning a language abroad.

I agree.

Maybe so. I don't expect to learn simply by osmosis and I'm accompanying my studies with plenty of reading. I don't know why you feel the need to take such a condescending tone. As said I'll be practicing literally the entire time I'm awake. I don't think that's for nothing. Although go ahead and disparage my "American" monolingualism.

I guess I won't be learning languages then

Obsession is fine, too.

I need only english where im going.

S-senpaio…

That girl is fairly strong to be able to hold up another girl like that.

Im only doing languages that I dont find that similar to eachother. I have no issue with mixups or vocab or language rules. I actually get to a point I can make up my own sentences in all the languages but from not having enough vocab I cant have conversations or read so it makes me forget what i learned. Even when I only focus on one i cant learn fast enough to get to that first level needed to read or talk on a basic level to stop forgetting

She is!

A few Chinese words can change in pronunciation depending on how they are used. Simplified characters are even more confusing since one character can be a simplified form of 3 or 4 traditional characters.

The tonation system isn't strict, either, so the tone of one syllable can change the tone of the next syllable. For example, when a phrase has two dipping tones, the first is pronounced more downward and the second is pronounced more upward. Chinese native speakers don't speak clearly and crisply. They will either clip vowels and join two hanzi into one syllable, or pronounce vowels in a way that is radically different from the pinyin. Japanese native speakers, especially women, are much more careful in their pronunciation.

Chinese uses suffixes and juxtapositions in word order instead of tense. Word order can mean the difference between saying that Alice walked two hours ago or that Alice walked for two hours. As for Japanese verb conjugation, there are some guidelines, but for the most part each verb should be memorized.

When studying an Indo-European language, you may get the impression that it's important to memorize individual vocabulary words. However, it's more important to learn phrases; intrepid new students make the mistake of stringing together roughly translated words in a way that doesn't make sense to a native speaker. Learning Chinese and Japanese makes this blaringly obvious. Don't memorize individual kanji, memorize kanji compounds (jukugo); the many different ways that a character is pronounced will be less of a concern.

I've been learning German for the past few years
I can understand and speak at an intermediate level, looking to learn Spanish next