Westinghouse just declared bankruptcy because of their failed bet on nuclear power being a staple...

Westinghouse just declared bankruptcy because of their failed bet on nuclear power being a staple. This is the company that is credited with making what could be the first videogame ever with the NIMATRON Computer at the 1940 World's Fair. The computer went up against fairgoers in the old game of "Nim," which is where you try not to pick up the last matchstick out of a pile. The computer allegedly won 90% of the games.

After hearing this company was going under, it made me think about the great breakthroughs in vidya history. We have things like arcade boards, Mode7, the move to 3D, physics engines, but I can't really think of anything past the ragdoll that really had a huge impact on gaming at the gameplay level. Is there something I am missing? And what was your favorite breakthrough in the world of videogames?

Other urls found in this thread:

thejimquisition.com/nier-automata-review/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the mouse. just think about what all that changed.

And the controversy continues to this very day…

Star Citizen. It's going to change everything. I'm going to be telling my grandchildren about how fortunate I was to get in on the ground floor of the most important game to ever be made.

I'm in at 10k, how about you?

I've invested my Wife's children's college fund into this. Star Citizen is going to be the next WOw, I can just tell.

Fuck off, Smart. This is a Roberts board.

You're right brother
Forgive me Robert, for I have sinned

NOT SO FAST

thejimquisition.com/nier-automata-review/

Colored lighting

I can kinda see this. But unfortunately this also lead to ambient occlusion so, I think it might be a bust instead of a boon.

That fact that fat ugly woman-sounding video game "critic" even got a female willing to fuck him is already an achievement.

The only thing she's fucking is his wallet, and other men.

I mean yeah between being that fat and having clearly female voice he probably leaks estrogen, so his dick probably doesn't even function at this point.

Really? I figured that fat fuck would complain about the robot girl not being dressed enough and whine about mysoginy during any review.

The Nim champion claimed they could tell a grandmaster Nim player was influencing the game based on the moves the computer made.

He was too busy trying to masturbate, it was his first sexual experience since his honeymoon where he watched his wife and her bull.

A piece of plastic can win Nim 100% of the time. That is not a video game, it's hardly even a "game" by any measure, there is no video display, it's just light bulbs.

Bam. Here's a "computer" that can win 100% of "games".