True RPGS

I'm gonna be traveling for a few months and there's going to be a lot of transit time so I have a chance to get through some of the RPGs I don't usually have time or the attention span for.

None of that fake shit please. I only want genuine western RPGs that allow a variety of solutions to any problem, have choices with consequences and impact, and have atleast adequate gameplay/combat. If an eastern game somehow fits that description then recommend it. They should also preferably be on PC but lets be real here, anything i'm looking for won't not be on PC.

Something maybe like the old fallouts, not something necessarily isometric. I was also interested in the Gothic games but I'm not sure which one i should play. Non-pleb RPG thread then.

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/other_premium_modules/page1
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/premium-module-offline-authenticator-generator
forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU)
forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1485121-D3D11-Renderer-für-Gothic-2-(alpha)-20
neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-1/nwn1-modules/done-nwn-1-hall-fame-modules
neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-1/nwn1-modules/nwn1-module-lists
rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
demo.gothic-reloaded-mod[DOT]de/
resurrection.cz/en/
nwn2db.com/
d20srd.org/index.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Underrail

Oh boy, here we go. inb4 /tg/fag comes in saying vidya games can't be RPGs

GO BACK TO TUMBLR

The closest is a roguelike, and even then it has to follow the berlin implementation

Neverwinter Nights has so many fanmade modules that are really good, that it could take literally years to finish all of them

any problems with running this on a modern system?

The game runs in widescreen natively. There's a few small issues that are fixable via the ini files and the ingame settings. If you have any framerate issues

1. Disable shiny water in the ingame settings. (This fixes 90% of issues)
2. Change the sound settings ingame to use Miles or Rad.
3. In nwnplayer.ini (in your nwn folder, it opens with notepad), change or add the line Max Memory Usage=128. Also change or add the line Client CPU Affinity=0 or Client CPU Affinity=1 (just not -1 which is the default). (this usually fixes the other 10%)

The first two games are solid on their own without any mods or patches. The second game can be a bit difficult for first time players but stick to it. Its absolutely worth it.
The third game needs a pretty huge unofficial patch to even be worth playing.
Overall they're not really about choices as all of them are combat heavy with completely different builds(not unlike Dark souls) with an open world focus.

Also make sure you pick up the GOG version.

There's also a bunch of premium modules that aren't included in the GOG version but have been cracked after Bioware took down the activation servers

gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/other_premium_modules/page1

neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/premium-module-offline-authenticator-generator

Literally why? Gothic 1 is locked at fucking ~20fps by default without the systempak (which also fixes bugs), and Gothic 2 has an awesome DX11 renderer that not only makes it run better on modern systems, but makes it look better as well.

Age of Decadence
Prelude to Darkness
Geneforge 2

Gothic 1 and 2 are good picks though. Play them in order and definitely play G2 with the Night of the Raven expansion.

I completed them without any patches on windows 7 without any problems
Didn't know about the renderers. If they are better sure go for them but its not like Arcanum or Fallout 2 where you need the unofficial patches.

Heh. There is no reason not to use the SystemPack for both.

forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU)

And if you have a DX11 card, grab forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1485121-D3D11-Renderer-für-Gothic-2-(alpha)-20 for 2.

Breaking that lock meant falling through the world. Is that fixed too now?

Just arbitrarily removed the lock fucks up the physics, the SystemPack fixes that, and it has been fixed for years.

much appreciated

sounds up my ally anyway

Don't actually waste your time looking for NWN modules, user. Your trip will be long over by the time you find anything worth playing.

noice
Another excuse to replay them

Arcanum
Temple of Elemental Evil
Underrail

Nigga what

there's literally lists about this sort of thing. There even used to be a Hall of Fame.

neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-1/nwn1-modules/done-nwn-1-hall-fame-modules

People even still create NWN1 modules mostly because it's really really easy to do

It's so fucking good at 60fps, and proper non-squished widescreen is great too.

Satan, learn to read WHOLE WORDS.

planescape torment and nwn2: mask of the betrayer both have great stories

Gothic is also really good indeed - one of my favorites, although I could get into 3. Risen 1 is nice too

There's even more specific lists here

neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-1/nwn1-modules/nwn1-module-lists

Stuff like modules that are more campaign length, ones that are only a few hours long, ones that are part of a larger series, ones that are more comedic, and more erotic ones. There's so much variety to NWN modules because there was so many created.

Icewind dale 1&2

Yeah, that's exactly right. The keyword being "easy". I'm not an NWN hater but it's not a game you should get into without an informed expectation that 90% of your time will be wasted on ridiculously hyped or flat out trash content.

There are NWN1 modules that I've legit thought were better than games I've played recently. It's a game that a lot of people overlook unnecessarily.

well the f2 content patch is more of a additional content pack to the game, I recommend it even if only for the shi sub

seconding Arcanum

Care to elaborate? I can't find any information on the term.

You could try Geneforge. None of your choices carry over to the next game though because no imports.

Expeditions: Conquistador, Eisenwald and Dragonfall/Hongkong are some of the better recent ones not already mentioned. Personally I'd also recommend the two Drakensang games and the old classics like Darklands, Realm of Arkania and Siege of Avalon.

Couple of months ago I'd call you a lying faggot but you're absolutely rightVico did nothing wrong

Strife is really good. Probably the best RPG, because it's more like a shooter than an RPG.

Seconded. Great game OP.

Dude, your preferences have RPG Codex written all over them. Here's their top 70 list:

rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

You could also ask their forum for recommendations.

You need to go back.

Download a PS1 emulator and play Jade Cocoon, one of my favorite RPG ever

This. CRPGs fucking suck.

No, goon, fanboyism does.

oh, but at least FUCKING Ass Effect made the list i see
GOOD JOB
DOES THE 'R' IN 'RPGCODEX' STAND FOR 'RETARDS'?

Goons fucking love CRPGs though.

No, that is a VN with dice roles.

You need to go back.

Pretty sure they had a separate arpg list.

Go where? RPGs are inferior to FPS in every way imaginable.

why not link that separate arpg list just to satisfy my curiosity here
Also
all my shiggys

I'd prefer one of those cozy 8bit JRPGs.

Fuckoff

Too bad NWN itself is shit.

You mean crpg rip offs dumbed down for jap audience?

Can you completely dump the plot and decide to be catholic cyberpirates in space?
No?
not an RPG

The vanilla game is shit yes.

Shadows of Undertide is a hit or miss. I personally liked it but I know a bunch of people disliked it.

Hoards of the Underdark is pretty great

and there's so much good custom fan content it more than makes up for it.

For me the vanilla game was moreso the devs saying to players "this is what you can accomplish with our toolset". The entire reason for picking the game up was always to play fanmade content and make it yourself.

It's extremely rare that developers specifically build their games to be modded to that extent. Even Skyrim has a huge focus on it's core vanilla gameplay and modding is just something Bethesda lets you do because it makes them more money down the line.

He mean 'Berlin Interpretation'.
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

If they charged for mods maybe.

Charging for mods is short term gain.

Having an sdk and an active community making content for it is long term profits. There's a reason why Skyrim would constantly make it to the top of the Steam charts whenever there was a huge steam sale. And why people still regularly play it.

In the games industry it's rare that a game that's 6 years old is still highly sought after by people and still gets constantly recommended. It's one of the reasons why developers used to release SDKs (on top of how back then game engines were much simpler and had less third party content that they licensed, nowadays it can take months to write out third party code that they aren't allowed to distribute and companies don't want to bother with it.)

Nowadays game devs and publishers are way more interested in short term gain like preorder bonuses because of how huge game budgets are. They can't really afford to go "wait we could double our profits in 6 years?" when it's easier to say they could make 10 grand off some dlc in a few weeks.

What game in 1st screenshot?

Lords of Xulima.

wizardy 8 is for my money the best dungeon crawler/autistic party creation minmaxing simulator ever made

The way I did it was making one character as a self insert leader and the rest all hot chicks.

Yeah that was good. Sometimes I boot up my party right before I kill Sarevok… I mean the Dark Savant and just fuck around with my endgame party.

Samurai/Lord are my characters I use for my self insert char.

I see Fallout, does Jagged Alliance 2 count as well then? Prob my fav roundbased RPG/RTS

What are some great RPGs exclusive to the DS

The Dark Spire

>rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

Ha! Wizards & Warriors actually ended up in there. It's my all-time favorite. Too bad it's not ever talked about.

>>>/neogaf/

What is that game even?

It looks like Wiz8 is there a GoG release?

It's Dave Bradley's post-Wiz 7 game. Never played it but some people really hate the RT combat.

Mass Effect trilogy was a true rpg like it or not. Your choices had consequences, and the only part where they end is at the end of the third game.
People are too judgemental about things. This is why no good games are being made.

Arcanum is pretty good. Your decisions really matter.

The C&C makes it acceptable to play, but the combat and especially the setting are trash tier. Le Scottish accented dwarves in steampunk England XDDD

Well, arcanum was made before the whole "lol steampunk" thing started.

Just start with gothic 1. The controls are a bit fucking clunky though.
Theres a complete graphic overhaul mod, whihc looks realy nice. some autists basicly wrote a completely new renderer for the game.
demo.gothic-reloaded-mod[DOT]de/

resurrection.cz/en/

It does.

Yeah, but it's still a lazy concept. It's Tolkien transplanted to a Victorian setting. Worldbuilding is easy when your premise is familiar thing A + familiar thing B.

Screenshots from other websites don't seem to do that game justice.

Pretty sure the RPG Codex likes Diablo 1 (and Westwood's Nox even more), but didn't count them as RPGs. They're just hack-and-slash games. Codex is oldschool that way, and if you show up arguing that Diablo 1 is an RPG you're probably gonna get a ton of shit.

Divinity made the list because it does a lot more than hack-and-slash. The "diablo clone" is in quotation marks to point out that it's not some mindless copycat.

Which game?

The Might and Magic Series. 6 is probably the best nostalgia wise, and 7 is my favorite gameplay-wise

I refuse to support a game that features Anita Sarkeesian.

bitch pls , i can make that claim for Throne of Darkness and Blade&Sword ; that doesn't actually make them anything more than diablo clones with an altered storyline at their core with maybe a couple of twists in gameplay here and there and neither it does for Divinity

yeah that's why they included Dark Souls , The Witcher series and Mass effect in the list :^)

Those were probably voted in by faggots who joined the codex due to its massive g*merg*te thread

RPG Codex was always full of faggots.
Do not pretend otherwise.

But faggots who hated new shit like meme souls.

RT combat is optional. You still can plan a turn, execute it, plan next turn and so on… like in older titles.

He was right, go back

wat

Arcanum was made long before steampunk became popular among cosplayers and in general with art styles. Back then it wasn't even really advertised as being "steampunk" it was just called a fantasy rpg in a Victorian setting.

The setting of Arcanum isn't so much based around being "steampunk" as much as it is taking a fantasy rpg setting and shifting it forward a few hundred years.

For instance there's a town in Arcanum where they talk about how their military used to be the strongest in the world until it was completely wiped out in a single battle because the nearby kingdom of Tarant had guns. Or how Orcs and half orcs in the game are a reference in general to indentured servitude that was going on during the industrial revolution.

Or how the game actually tried to explain the evolution of the various races in the world. Like in the game's manual and on the wiki was the history of the various races based on the fossil record. Like how they determined that humans and dwarves predated all of the other races in the game, and that ogres were more likely conjured by a mage and not evolved like orcs and elves were. Stuff like that. It was fascinating to read about.

The fact you can call something like Arcanum lazy and ignore the massive amount of rpgs that do barely anything to vary the setting is stunning to me.

It was already played out in lit, exhaustingly so. First by Verne and Wells, then in the pulps, then we fast forward to Bruce Sterling writing about Babbage in 1990 and getting called out for unoriginal ideas. What the fuck, user? Cosplayers are a sign that something is not merely worn out, but a dead horse.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Thing A + Thing B. It doesn't hurt that both of these (Tolkien and Wells) are highly documented, easily recognizable, adaptable and palatable to escapist tards.

I've never excused a shit setting, user.

What are some good Diablo like games?
I watched video related and I never really played the genre but it got me interested, I remember Torchlight or something.

Path of exile

Isn't that multiplayer? I want singleplayer.

Try Darkstone. You get to make 2 characters you can switch between on the fly. Really cool music & atmosphere.

I never understood why German have such a hard time not pronoucing the TH as S. At least pronouce it Gotick of Gofick, that's closer to the TH than an S could ever be. And this is coming from someone who grew up in Germany.

And you never will, schwarze. You never will.

Grim dawn, poe, diablo 2 mod median xl. You can also try real rougelikes, but you are a faggot who cant do that and only ask question to tell everyone you are not interested in answer.

Inquisitor

Go read a fucking book, RPG nigger.

Does anyone have suggestions for modules to start with? There's an overwhelming number of modules to choose from and I don't know where I should start.

What are you looking for: lewd, adventure? Lewdadventure? You into reading blocks of text or hacking shit?

All of the above. I don't care what it is as long as it's gud. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

I'd rather read a book than be unable to do so, retard.

Yeah, but priorities. Some shit has barely any combat and plays like a book while the other tries to emulate the vanilla hack heavy gameplay. But fine, tried Dance with Rogues, Aielund, Hunt through Dark, Arandie or Bastard of Kosigan?

Grim Dawn

Yeah, my bad for being clever, next time I'll just call you a newfag goon.

should've quit while you were ahead
check IDs next time
and context

Nope, I'll download all of them and then come back to the thread and blame you for everything if even one doesn't hold up to my unrealistic standards :^)

Thanks for the suggestions at least. To be more specific, I prefer having actual combat and gameplay but Torment-style WORDS WORDS WORDS is fine as long as it's well written and my choices in dialog actually matter.

"Darklands" is on sale on steam.
I haven't played it, but it looks good.

Not the same user, but okay. I just came in to talk shit to you, FPStrog.

According to RPGCodex, it's one of the best party based RPGs ever made.
I've tried it for an hour and it seems to be true.

For some reason ingame cinematics wont show if you are using Windows 7 but i dont know if they patched that in recent years

When it comes to NWN i replayed the campaigns recently and i think someone needs to pick it up and upgrade it to modern graphics and apply some fixes to gameplay so 4-5 classes wouldnt lag behind Sorcerer/Fighter , also add a proper multiplayer option and upgrade Toolset to look something like WC3 Worldeditor so you can actually see what the fuck you are doing instead of straining eyes and having to move camera with Up down left right keys.

nigga what are you doing?

Hey, I posted the surefire because I have this feeling you'd go the fuck if I dumped some next level autistic shit on you. On the bright side you have several weeks worth of content to chug thru and recognize what you're supposed to be looking for/enjoy in other modules.

Gotta support those devs, right?

Insulting you and bumping the thread.

Dump some next level autistic shit on me, I want to go the fuck

Niggers can't read, nigger.

You've got to walk before you run, grasshopper.

5/10, could have been better

Well that explains why you love FPSes so much, nigger.

that's what you think, nerd

Damnit, I knew that I should have collected anime smuggies for a time when a low-quality shitposter would shit his shit in my thread

Fuck you nigga.

When you can take the meme from my hand, then you'll be ready.

7/10 you did better this time kiddo

that rpg codex list.

it's half ok, but can you really trust people who use characters called "dicksmoker" (MMV1) to know what great rpgs are. no, no you can not

Gee, gotta love that high-effort, even-handed moderation.

That guy really looks like Ork Witcher. I wonder if intentional.

It was made years before the first game released.

Bare in mind prior to TW1's release the Witcher was only really known in Poland. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who recognized it prior to that.

Coincidentally, TW1 runs on the same engine as Neverwinter Nights. CD Projekt licensed it from Bioware back in the day.

I heard Hitler's resistance to Jewry is 88.

schwarze is the plural, if you want to adress someone its schwarzer. or call him neger, that works just as well.

there are plenty of handheld zelda games

WAHT FUCKING GAME????

"Unique", "different" and "good" are not the same.

I did…and I swear to God, I thought something else was written there.

God, I need some sleep. My brain not rightly work.

for what it's worth i would recomend you Din's Curse instead of Zombasite

ANONS!
I need your help to remember a game I played when I was little. It was an RPG but more of an editor than anything else.

RPG isn't even a true genre. RPG's of the past had role playing label due to their tabletop roleplaying influence. You see, most modern RPG's share nothing in common. Old RPG's aren't even a true digitization of tabletop games. It's a misleading label.

The correct term would be "dynamic narrative driven adventure strategy video game".

They should be just called by their actual gameplay. "RPG" is just a code word for sloppy implementation, used in marketing to sell faulty products to stupid nerds.

Yeah it's stupid. RPG's are stat based strategy games and ARPG's are action strategy games. If the term role playing was used literally, then The Sims and Second Life would be the truest role playing games.

It's pretty perverse that "roleplaying" in regards of video games almost exclusively means similarity to video games that poorly aped D&D back in the 80s. It doesn't make any sense and doesn't offer any useful information other than that the game implements some vague package of often outdated mechanics stapled to the video game gameplay and maybe if you are lucky some mild CYOA elements.

Seriously?
Risen?
It's one of the worst fucking games ever, boring as fuck, the gameplay bland, the lore almost non-existant and the quests the most tedious.
Start to finish, that game is a fucking bore.

Never trust RPG Cuckdex. They're just elitist autists.

I wish we could just get a modern NWN, a toolset built to let players make large fanmade modules for themselves. With modern tech you could do all kinds of crazy shit.

Thanks for the help m8

Dude, nice numale tumblrcore you got there.

No, that would be called larping. You have no understanding of the terms you're using.

I've never played D&D but from what I understand, in D&D you play a campaign orchestrated by a DM, so what's the difference between a D&D campaign and Baldur's Gate for example where the developer is the DM?

"roleplaying" is very broad, you can roleplay a character, but only true RPGs are based on character skill based dicerolls.

Are you stupid? LARPing is almost opposite of video games. Calling something "larping" in video game was always a joke.

Maybe you should play an RPG before forming hot opinions.

I've played plenty of RPGs and I know there's a clear difference between CRPGs and ARPGs.

You are inconsistent.

What implication? If you don't think Baldur's Gate is a good RPG you can fuck off.

If you said BG2, you could have made a case of rose-tinted glasses, but BG1?

Larping is real life roleplaying. Video game is a digital virtual medium.

It's not a technical term, that's what I'm saying. If it was an academic matter, the term RPG wouldn't be accepted.

Roleplaying is incapable of describing a gameplay feature effectively, more like.

As long as there's abstraction of main events, it can be classified as an RPG using our current definition.

Nox, all you retards.

help

Damn is this like a fucking mod or something?

Anything set in the Forgotten Realms verse is trash by default. It's such an asinine and mundane setting.

The irony of people shitting on Siege of Dragonspear is that it's on par with BG1, Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal.

They're all horrendously written.

sounds like something from either the Escalon or the Avernum series though i don't remember either of these having custom campaigns or being that obscure

no it looked and felt way older. also when in the overworld only the party leader appeared I think and when in battle you were transported to a battle set thingy where you could move your characters around and such

HOLY FUCK
I think I just found it after all these years. It's called RuneSword 2 for anyone interested. The creator is very powerful if I'm remembering correctly.

It would seem this site isn't very popular, but thanks for the list nonetheless.

the name had nothing like tome 1 in it
you lied to me

PANTALONES GIGANTICUS!

The text log and item descriptions in Fallout 1/2 were great, and it's a shame they got rid of them in the 3d games, although I'm not sure you would even go about implementing a log like that in an FPS.

You're giving the impression of someone who used to read and re-read 20'000 Leagues Under The Sea 'til video games were invented sometime after their 50th birthday. Arcanum was a novel setting for a PC RPG amidst the DnD RPGs of the time. I think it's still interesting. You must be happy with Tides of Numera as you like novelty?

not a /tg/fag but I agree with the generally outlined /tg/fag position.

s-sorry

Dragon Age Inquisition is pretty good.

Its too bad Wizards has no idea how to make a decent game because their jewlust for money blinds them from making something good, where they want to make something they can package into little self-destructive-non-transferrable booster packs.

>TFW I wasted the golden age of NWN lurking on servers where people just hacked and sat around

Second this

But you're not

This seems like an RPG thread so I'll ask here.
I just pirated NWN2 and I'm at the character creation screen, confused. Can anyone link me an explanation in very simple terms on how the game (D&D ruleset I guess?) works. I tried to google but I'm too fucking stupid to find a basic guide.
I've never played an RPG that is based on D&D so much, everything else I played feels like a dumbed down version of it.

I'll try to give you the basics
1. It's class based and the max level for NWN 2 is 30, the maximum number of classes you can pick up is 4
2. There are base classes and prestige classes, if you pick your base classes badly, you'll end up with an exp penalty. There is no such limit for prestige classes but they have prerequisites and you can't pick them for first level.
3. nwn2db.com/
Use this site. I assume you have SOZ so the setting you want is SOZ max level 30
4. BAB determines your number of attacks. Try for 26 at minimum for six attacks per round
If you want a more comprehensive explanation, try this site
d20srd.org/index.htm
Keep in mind NWN 2 doesn't have things like grappling or move actions. The only thing they really kept from D&D was the character class system.
Tell me if you want some tips too.

Other basics
1. You get a feat every 3 levels and an attribute increase every 4 levels, you get one free background feat at first level.
2. Try to keep a full caster level if you want to take up casting or else your spells end up too weak to affect your enemies.
3. Arcane casters OP