When did modern gamers become such lore-fags? back in the day few people cared about it...

When did modern gamers become such lore-fags? back in the day few people cared about it, and the lore was explained via manuals or outside sources for those who cared without gimping the actual flow of the gameplay. And any lore to be found in the games, you had to look out for it, instead of being thrown in your face constantly. Now everyone and his mother demands almost all games to be heavy on lore and have every NPC infodumping into you. Was TES the main culprit? MGS from 3 onwards? either way your game now has to feature enough in-game lore to rival all of Tolkien's literary output or else it will be deemed as shallow. What prompted this change in mentality?

Other urls found in this thread:

marathon.bungie.org/story/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Free time.
Automation is coming.
People think the matrix is dystopian but it's really utopian.

I don't see anything wrong with lore. It just shouldn't be shit is all. Good lore is extinct. Existing only in small bubble or games that focus around lore.

I miss when games focused less on stories and more on skill.

Lorefags are the fucking worst.

I was remembering the old "Temple of Apshai" from 1979. Wasn't much of a game really but it was interesting the relationship between documentation and proper game.

Can't imagine how LORE can expand games like Overwatch, though.

Because games aren't fun anymore. Lore is fun, and exciting.

That's literally it.

When filthy secondaries came into gaming and started buying tons of spinoff books and shit. There was a time when something like a Mario novel would be laughed at like it deserves to be.

but lore is literally the opposite of that
games nowadays feel like reading wikipedia but you actually learn nothing of utility

Well, thats just like, your opinion, man.

For a real answer, it probably has something to do with the pretentious writers who want to pretend that what they're writing is finally on par with movies.

that could be a plausible explanation but I've seen people, actual gamers, demanding their games to be lore-heavy, and discussing to death the lore aspects of otherwise simple games. Like, wtf? do you really want to be bored to death?

Even if it's a simple as fuck game, they need some sort of grandiose justification behind to play it. "Go save the princess" and having fun doesn't cut it anymore

People are easily influenced, you get a couple shills in neogaf to convince them that The Last of Us is actually a deep lore metaphor for War and you'll have reddit spouting off about the deep meaning of the zombies in less than a week.

Games have the potential to be a far greater story telling medium than movies. Turning games into movies isn't the way to get there though.

As this user said
But it's also because developers don't know how to make fun and engaging gameplay anymore so they try to make their game look deeper than it actually is

Pretty much this. Very useless knowledge that doesn't teach you much.

Gamers are primed to like shit games for reasons, so some of them proactively start looking for reasons aside of the meat of the game in order to be good consumers. This way you can elegantly tie together Consuming Product and "appreciating" it.

There just wasn't enough room to fit all that text in memory on 8-bit computers, so they shoved it into the manual. The Amiga version has it in-game though, but only the first trilogy was ported to that platform.
Wasteland and SSI's Gold Box series had the same "refer to paragraph entry #XXX" thing going on.
Then you have games that came with "novellas" or short stories in the box. This was pretty common for RPGs and even some text adventure games like pic.
Also check out these:
Below the Root
In Search of the Most Amazing Thing

Autists who hate to actually play games but still want to be a part of the "culture".
See TESfags, all games are shit but muh lore

It goes back to the popularization of the media and how some people, despite buying into the "games are for everyone" meme, still feel the need to justify the hours they put into a certain videogame, while the people who sticked around longer than them give no fucks about this.

Getting deeply into the lore, or assuming that it goes deeper than what the creator has established within the scope of their work, is a clear symptom of this search for validation. You can notice this behavior particularly with modern Zelda fans.

I'd call you a knuckle-dragging troglodyte, but thinking about it for more than a second I realized that lore for most game series is absolute shit anyway, Tolkienesque world building they are not, not even close.

Wikis made it easy to collect and share the lore.

Morrowind is essentially too blame (I say blame, I like lore when it's tolerable and fits) because there's so many takes on the same events it's a bit like real life where a dictator writes their version, a lackey writes another and the people write their own, you get all of them and have to decide what you can swallow. That's lore done right, some facts each author describes are inalienable but the air around them is and they make for vastly different takes.

I personally don't care about lore outside of individual games because it's bound to be raped one way or another by sequels however within a given title it's certainly good to have if it's well crafted. So many game stories are pap though, so I can see why some people disregard story in favour of gameplay but getting the story right is crucial for setting the mood and tone. Plus sometimes you get high or hammered and do want to read some shit about the world and not go out stomping dragons all the time, the more varied the game the better in that respect.

The inevitable problem is you get a good enough starting idea that just gets it's legs under it then gets fucked over, see Fallout, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, TES, everything touched by EA etc. The trend is towards casualisation for kids and normalfags to gum down easymode paste, meanwhile people who gave a fuck are tearing their hair out at the downfall of standards we're witness to where 10 year old games are more intricate and impressive than their modern counterparts. Kids who were fans of the original game should NOT be involved in making it's sequels, that way lies ruin as we've already seen.

It's good to have standards, though being a lorefag at the moment is a recipe with a whole lot of salt involved because lore being raped is everyday shit atm and fuck you for caring.

what a wonderful post

lorefags dont want npc infodumps you clueless autist, lorefags want writing that is internally consistent (aka good) and world building that isnt christianity-lite

And yet they flock to shit like bethesda games.

And yet Morrowind still put out the best video game original lore through its in-game and developer texts out of any series.

Sure it did.

Nah it was George Lucas (LucasArts) and Steven Spielberg (DICE & EA).
Marketing, as you'll see the people that came from movies into vidya in the late '80s / early '90s weren't short a dollar and had plenty of marketing.

Really is has been a thing about as long as home vidya, it's just that the majority of people care about story now when it was the minority years ago. I'm not even sure they do given the popularity of online shooters

Is like you don't like what other people think its fun and how they lose their times.

"utility" as compared to reading the wikipedia, which was the point of the comparison

They're not one person, if your trade doesn't necessitate a paper, don't waste your time, learn on your own and get an apprenticeship, find the actual best in your field and learn directly from them through example, which is 10x times more effective and faster for learning than trying to act like a girl at school. Sure it's not as regularized, but chances are you'll save money and time as opposed to be sure to be in debt and having a piece of paper bosses are less and less trusting about.

They fucking better not.

Not when the elites decide they no longer need 99.9% of us anymore and decide to wipe us all out.

It wasn't any video game, it was Game of Thrones.

Not on his watch.

It you and your ilk that is driving the change in AAA vidya.

Gonna start playing Nier : Automata assuming that's the backstory

Japs could never come up with something so creative.

Did you check the current year lately?

Honestly this.

Today's games don't have gameplay anymore. So to keep people engaged they need lorefaggotry.

And yet it's still more interesting than actually playing the game.

Yes hitler.

Because a bunch of youtube channels and wiki's popped up to spoon feed everyone. Not to mention you have this bullshit "Games are growing up" narrative. Not to mention all this fake nerd cred shit.

Show, don't tell.
Lorefags have ruined this simple phrase and have caused modern games to eschew conventional storytelling.

wew

The problem is that game developers are so lazy that what they show and what they tell often have nothing to do with each other. The design of things like levels and enemies frequently exists only to look "cool" rather than to tell any kind of actual story. That leaves us relying on what they tell in order to get any canon information.

What the fuck are you even talking about, OP? Seriously.

Protip: Even your example of TES, all the lore is in fucking books that you never have to read, and MGS has always had a full staff of radio people that you can call and yammer with (also optional).
Most other RPGs put lore in a glossary tucked away in the menu.
Even failing ALL that, if you don't care about lore, be one of those faggots who skips every cinematic, cuz lets be honest, you're that guy.

Think of it like the split between people who play tabletop wargames to play them, and people who play them as an adjunct to collecting/assembling/painting minis.

Also
Get on my level:
marathon.bungie.org/story/

There's also some that came with audiodramas on tape, like Loom

That's largely the culprit, if you ask me. Now you don't even need to play the game to be a lorefag.

People have less free time now than they used to.
Jobs are more time demanding.

Fire & Ice, by Ralph Bakshi.

The world before it turned gay was great.

Anytime I see this movie I always think how much better it would be if it were about "Totally Not Batman" instead of Larn.

Larn fucking sucks.

Free time has dwindled and we're falling back to early industrial revolution standards for that

what about spin offs

I wish Jones would go Ascended Saiyan and crush Rogen's windpipe for his insolence.

/thread

theyre also paying less, while you have to spend more time hassling with insurance and other people trying to fuck you out of your money

good thread OP

The problem with lorefags and world building fags is that they think lore/world building is a good substitute for actual writing, plot development, and characterization. They're the faggots who have only read D&D manuals and Tolkein and thus they think they're well-read.

Many humans consider learning fun. Good thing, too.

except it was made before the rating system implemented a PG-13 rating and constricted it decades later you fucking retard

The stories in games have really turned to shit though, they used to be fun. Like the Duke Nukem-games, Leisure Suit Larry etc.

Then along came the faggots with their Heavy Rains, Fahrenheit, Last of Us etc. The problem with those games are that once you have finished it (which you can do without much effort, you will never play it again).

I'm surprised. The answer is obvious. I love the games but they really are the ones that are responsible for ruining the word "lore" through over-usage.

Nah, a lot of people would take issue with the fantasy genre is it was Christian as it's patriarchal, monogamous, and straight.

Instead, any game in [current year] fantasy is heavily pagan, anti-authoritarian (anti-right), and pro-magic. There's a reason why progressives love it along with the scifi genre.

*if it was

Fuck.

Good lore would be the same as good story, it would affect the gameplay. tl;dr lore is effectively equivalent to tl;dw cutscenes.

The first time I ever saw the term "lore" used (and rapidly overused) to describe worldbuilding/backstory/mythology/etc was the MMO genre post-UO. Not coincidentally, said genre is infamous for completely divorcing the players' actions (repeating the same "event" over and over forever, in instanced bubbles away from other players) from the in-setting characters' perspective.

Indeed

Castlevania SOTN did it to me.
It actually pieced a bunch of previous castlevanias together beyond MUH BELMONTS stories into single narrative, since then I pay big attention to the lore.
Needless to say shit like Dark Souls is a delight to let autism run free for quit a while.

Do you think one day filterman will finally accept that his "elites" are the kikes?

you have to

Been playing games since 1998, I like story in games. Gaming for me isn't about socializing with people online or twitch or whatever the fuck people do nowadays.

Video games is ME time. Sitting in the darkness closing myself off from the world engrossed in an adventure like a creepy weirdo.

Sounds p. comfy tbh

t. Holla Forumseddit
from /tg/

The bad part about lorefags is that a lot of the people who go on about it just like having shit spoonfed to them. They think it's deep because it's shoved right in their face, so they notice it, while they miss the fun lore from other games that actually focus on gameplay but build up some cool lore over time.

Lore can be fun, but story based games are fucking garbage. The reason the Zelda timeline is fun to be autistic over is because there is only a little info in every game, so it's fun to piece together the clues. If it's just all laid out for you, it misses the point. It also probably just slows down the game. And if it were a modern story game, it would use the story as an excuse to say it's good despite having shit gameplay.

Plus, story focused games make you actually think of the story as an actual story instead of a cool little puzzle that adds onto another product (the gameplay). Doing this makes you realize that it's a shit story that 99% of the time is just something that would be ridiculed if it were a movie or a book, but since it's in a video game, where standards are lower, people praise it to no end.

These are two very different things. Part of the reason discussing the lore of otherwise simple games is fun is precisely because they're otherwise simple, so it's neat to think about these aspects that aren't otherwise noticed. If they were actually "lore heavy" in the modern sense, it would lose the fun.

The problem is games today are largely made by people who don't even like games, for people who don't even like games. When people who actually liked old games have enough drive to eventually get to make sequels, it's frequently great.