Anyone here plays Sil?

Fun game, even though I always get killed few floors in.how do I git gud? For early level monsters, orcs are surprisingly tough. I like how large groups of orcs try to avoid attacking me in corridors and wait for me to come out. Sometimes they seem to even be able to flank me and cut my escape route off. Also, roguelike thread

bump

Can we just make this a general rogue like thread?

Nigga just like, play rogue.

Quints confirm

(checked)
Well, that settles the thread in the right direction.

sure, why not

I don't have rogue

And I'm dead. This is pretty much the farthest I've reached so far in Sil.

These fuckers are smarter than average 18y/o. Who dont other rougelikes steal it? I wish poschengband had it.

rogue is to roguelikes as pong is to touhou

since this is a general roguelike thread now, I gotta say that brogue is quite fun too. I think it is quite beautifully designed game.

Oh right, kinda forgot this (gotta pirate the new version) but there's Enter the Gungeon.

It's not turn-based at all, but it's a very fun rogue-like game with excelent gameplay.
Only detail I'd consider shit is how the health upgrades work, but otherwise it's very creative and fun.

user, why do you have to be a faggot like that?

The actual definition of rogue-like has quite a large amount of parameters that a game has to meet in order to be considered part of that category, most of them properly discussed and explained as to why they are core to the concept.

However, it's far too archaic and limiting in what it can achieve (despite the impressive amount of gameplay you get with just those rules) and variation may end up giving us something far better than just sticking with the main rules.

Elona for instance does not have perma-death and even features an overworld map with towns to visit, it's not a rogue-like by it's strict definition. But does the world map, trading mechanics, trainers, pets, guilds and traveling around add to the game and make it lots of fun? Yep, they do.

Enter the Gungeon would probably be considered an Action Rogue-Like, I guess. A new sub-genre that shares many of the same concepts but not all of them.
All I'm saying is that not sticking to formulas can often give you something better.

You don't call Roguelikes where you can fly and jump over pits platformers.

If you're looking for what to call Gungeon it is a Twin Stick Shooter Dungeon Crawl.

Just call it a roguelite fag

Fuck off, retard.

Nethack has the ability to fly and the Knight can jump.

I would if that didn't trigger people so badly.

I just now noticed how similar the words elitistic and autistic are.

It's gonna trigger less people than the roguelike fags if you call something not rogue-like a rogue-like

Right, but you aren't calling it a platformer. Running and jumping to different areas are the defining aspects of platformers because you need to be doing it in real time.

Roguelikes are turn based. Just because you have procedural generated dungeons and generally randomized loot doesn't make it a roguelike on that alone.

well, I don't think existence of overworld map is that bad, considering that adom, which is one of the games that form the canon used in berlin interpretation, has one too.

I think the definition of the term is very self explanatory. roguelike as in a game like rogue. The game you mentioned is far from rogue if you compare the core gameplay elements. The term roguelike has lost some of it's meaning since millenial fuckwits are calling anything with procedurally generated content roguelikes.

Calling Enter the Gungeon an "action roguelike" because it has permadeath and random generation would be like saying CoD is a RPGFPS because you have equipment and levels for your account.

Not everything has to be its own special snowflake genre. You can fucking say "it's a twin stick shooter with randomly generated levels" and that conveys far more information and context about what the game is and how you play it than calling it a fucking "action roguelike" does.

Some of them, such as the turn-based aspect, are non-negotiable. Fuck off with your faggot bullshit.

LIKE TURN-BASED IS EXPLAINED

EXCEPT IT'S THE OPPOSITE YOU STUPID KIKE. Turn-based is R E Q U I R E D, because one of the most important aspects of a roguelike is having as much time to think as you need SINCE ROGUELIKES ARE VERY COMPLEX GAMES.

Elona is far, far, far, far, far more of a roguelike than Gungeon is.

That's like saying "real-time-turn-based".