Game has denuvo

Probably. DRM in and of itself is cancer, but what does Denuvo do that is particularly egregious? Why is it in fucking Steam games when Steam itself is a marketplace/DRM platform?

Other urls found in this thread:

whyisdenuvobad.github.io/
youtube.com/watch?v=5GJZyeAR7H0
dsogaming.com/news/nier-automata-may-be-slightly-delayed-on-the-pc/
steamspy.com/app/524220
torrentfreak.com/0-more-on-content-than-honest-consumers-130510/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Pétomane
igg-games.com/medieval-ii-total-war-collection-free-download.html
justcause3mods.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a data miner.

Lurk more

Is there anything that supports this?

I'm trying to talk my stupid friends from making stupid mistakes, like buying shit games with Denuvo, and I'm trying to hunt down as much dirt as I can on this.

I've also heard that it destroys SSDs.

it disrespects your freedumbs.

From what I understand saying it 'destroys' SSDs is misguiding. It just 'uses them up' faster because it's constantly doing unnecessary I/O operations.

It doesn't datamine, but it constantly read/writes, which will kill an SSD faster over time.
If your friends are into the SSD for gaymes to save 5 seconds in loading times, then tell them that Denuvo eats up read/writing and will make the drive die sooner.

It also destroys the accessibility to create mods for the games

Denuvo technically is not DRM, but rather it's an anti-tamper software. DRM is what verifies your copy of the software as legitimately owned, whereas Denuvo just tries to stop people from cracking the software. Also, Steam is not necessarily DRM either; while it does offer its own DRM, a lot of games use their own or forego any DRM at all. A good example of a DRM-free game on steam is Hotline Miami.

Denuvo was made by the developers of SecuROM. This alon should be reason enough to shun anything that uses it

the SSD thing came from analysis of hard drive activity during play of Lords of the Fallen.
now, it's entirely possible that it was LotF that was making a trillion read/writes per second due to being a very shitty game. But it seems more like DRM activity, don't you think?

This helps a lot. Thanks, dudes.

Feel free to shit up my thread if you want, otherwise I'll delete it if there's no more activity within the hour.

I'm not defending Denuvo, I'm just letting you know that calling it DRM is incorrect.

Nier was good
Total Warhammer was good
Planet Coaster was good

I was expecting Just Cause 3 to be good but it was fucking average to mediocre and I should have noticed it would end up like that from how they they were handling it.

My experience with Denuvo
Don't forget to crack the game when avaiable it if you ever happen to buy a game with it.

Because Denuvo's purpose isn't really to be DRM itself but to protect DRM. You can use Denuvo to protect Steamworks DRM (which is optional, by the way) because what it does is it prevents anything from modifying the executable or hooking into it until the DRM authenticates.

ganoo slash linux and macOS ports can't use Denuvo and you can't run Denuvo games in WINE/Parallels. And since the DRM is so hard to properly crack, all Denuvo games (including the bypassed ones) will become unplayable when their authentication servers shut down unless the developers patch their games to remove it (which many probably won't). Given that there are currently unplayable SecuROM games that were never patched and that was made by the same people only 5 years ago I'd say it's pretty likely that this happens with Denuvo as well.

Contrary to what some might say it doesn't rape your SSD and it doesn't prevent modding (anything that you'd want to modify the executable for can be done after it authenticates). Also the existence of ganoo slash linux versions of Shitman 2016, Total Warhammer, and DEMD does not invalidate the claim that Denuvo doesn't work on Linux, those games had the Denuvo removed for their ports evidenced by the day 1 cracks for the Linux version of each game.

This is what does it for me. It's like buying a multiplayer game from EA or Ubisoft, you know it'll be dead in 2 years even if it's good.

Also the devs/publishers reject liability for anything denuvo may or may not be doing and refuse to give out any information what denuvo may or may not be doing but if it so happens to spy on you, it's still covered in the ToS.

I've never installed a denuvo game before, is it anything like securom where it dumps a bunch of shit in your registry that can't be removed without the use of a specific tool?

If you have an SSD and install a game on a separate hard drive, can denuvo still fuck your SSD, if any of that stuff is true?

If the company has to use denuvo they're admitting their game is shit. If you pirate a game you have no investment because you aren't afraid of making fun of yourself so you can rip on the game. Easy as that. If you use regular DRM ok it'll be cracked, if you are so over the top that you need Denuvo you got issues.

Reminder that MGS5 was full of mods which worked fine on Denuvoed version.
It doesn't prevent games from being modded.
It's still anticonsumer of course.

Denuvo won't spontaneously combust an SSD, but it will shorten its life span with all the reading/writing.
I don't know if it does any registry shit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

But the game is still shit.
I really don't know how this magic rule works, but all denuvo games are fucking shit.
Well in case of mgs Denuvo didn't really hurt. Kojima always did same shit with cardboard box stealth and retarded story, like he's stuck somewhere in 9 y/o age or something.

at this point, Denuvo is not an "anti piracy measure", its more of a "pirate delayer" everyone knows its already hacked, it just takes a couple of extra weeks to do so from the people who work on cracking it.

so lets say there's 1000 people who want the game on PC, 500 will buy it on day 1, 300 will pirate it for a variety of reasons (living in poor countries, not having enough money, being cheapasses, etc.) and another 200 will wait for a sale.

So developers actively believe that investing in Denuvo and fucking their paying consumers with the kind of awful shit denuvo does to your computer will give them a higher profitability by FORCING a fraction of the 300 pirates to cave in and say "oh well, i dont want to get spoilers/wait too long, so i guess i'll bite the bullet and buy it".

i take it that about 10-15% of pirates will ever do that, and only for specific titles that they're really interested in. the rest of the pirates, if they really can't pirate the game for a very long time (for example, diablo III which is always online) they'll just wait for a sale, so they'll jump on boat with the group of 200 people.

tl;dr:
companies are paying for a "PIRATE DELAYER" that can potentially fuck up paying customer computers to get about 3% more people to buy their games at day 1 prices

Dubs

It creates a full hardware profile of your system when you install it, sends that profile to Denuvo servers, then constantly pings that server to see if that copy of the game is installed on the exact same platform.

I would thing creating a profile like that is the very definition of data mining.

Yup, sounds like a bunch of trustworthy folks.

Nice tor browser there mate.

Good memes.

(You)

SECU
ROM
Don't trust it for shit.

like what?

not anymore

nude mods, mods for making people kaz or sniper wolf etc, mods that add subsistence mode to every mission, and a few other tweaks like changing difficulty or unlocking all the items.

So nothing but skins

And bethesda taught us that no mod can fix a shit game.

Read my post next time.

nice pictures unrelated to the topic

i remember all those mods for hitman blood money. fucking denuvo ruining modding!

It was about mgs, dumbshit.

TW Warhammer is good. Denuvo autists never ever.

Author's intentions don't matter, what matters is the end result.
And the end result is a series of god-tier games.

Prove yourself right

So you can't. Get out then.

So you can't. Get out then.

It's still not that many mods, it's not like there is a mod that adds a new mission

Why the fuck would you save that?

Why would you save a pic of that sand nig

It's fake.

That's because no one bothered to create such mod, game clearly allows it.

It's fun watching normal fags turn against Denvuo in such numbers that the shill can hardly keep up anymore. It's tanking the image of Bulletstorm's relaunch with many saying will wait till it's gone.

As I said in another thread - cattle is awakening.

the SSD killing rumor was debunked a long fucking time ago, pretty sad to see a board I had hoped to be mostly well informed continue to peddle that

The only debunking I saw was paid shills saying nuh uh. They offered no counter proof, couldn't refute the fact it was writing over and over again and then idiots just parroted it as if it was gospel.

Not awakening just shifting. They're still sheep and will put up with the next Denuvo as well, but for now they're jumping on the anti Denuvo band wagon. Dunno why now, but glad they're there since it's going to be harder for devs and publishers to get away with it anymore.

Yeah?

youtube.com/watch?v=5GJZyeAR7H0

Awww :(

To quote a Japanese expression: "Are you fucking stupid?"

I wasn't refuting or questioning your claim about it being debunked, I was pointing out how you act like a fucking normalfag. "I'm so disappointed in you all, I'm so sad that a board I frequent would…" Get the fuck out dude, go back to 4chan if you want to act like a faggot. They've got plenty of normalfags like you running around, acting like nothing's wrong on a board where you can get banned for saying the wrong keyword.

This image rubs me the wrong way.

It's not a good meme. It feels like Holla Forums memes, they feel forced just looking at them, like someone sat around and thought about how to make a funny image. And yet I see it posted semi-regularly, always by people who are kind of acting like shills. Now I'm not saying you're a shill, you could just have shit taste in memes. But still.

people have a nasty habit of labeling others who hold opinions they don't agree with as shills to try to discredit said opinions. when everyone is supposedly a shill, the word loses all meaning.
for the record I hate denuvo for limiting modding, not because of some stupid myth that can be proven false by downloading any utility that can check the disk read/writing done by a process

there will never be mods for a denovu game.
there will never be private servers for a denovu game.
and most of the time its used for big shitty aaa games by big shitty devs.

it doesnt outright kill the ssd, but it does actualy shorten its lifetime you fucking shill.

I notice that you have very thin skin.

not by any appreciable amount. i'll test titanfall 2 out with process hacker and report back with how much read/writing it did in an hour, not that it'll convince anyone who's already decided that I'm a shill :^)

Denuvo in particular is a pretty aggressive and intrusive DRM

Both of those statements are false.
SSDs have a limited amount of writes, not reads. Reads don't wear them out.
SSDs don't die, ie they won't brick for excessive writes. They'll slowly have less and less writable sectors, but the information already stored in them will be available if you wish to recover it.
Also yes, the rumor that Denuvo makes excessive writes is false like some user above already said. Denuvo has plenty of problems already, no need to spread false ones.

To be honest I hate Denuvo and don't particularly care for the truth being out there as long as the lies makes people stay away from Denuvo, but it pisses me off to see autistic screechers ganging up on people telling the truth.

from 30ish minutes of play. 117 KB of write.

My issues with Denuvo aren't about read/write but the silly overhead that it adds to games to make them perform shittier on comparable hardware. Even if Denuvo only makes me drop 2-4 frames, that's 2-4 frames that I don't want to drop. DRM is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. People who didn't want to buy your game to play it are not going to buy your game because you put it behind a paywall. I've bought games with Denuvo in it (a couple without knowing it had it), and I feel like an asshole for doing so, because I don't believe in DRM. I bought Alone in the Dark for the PC years ago, and that has SecuROM in it. I don't want SecuROM or Denuvo on my computer, and while I might bite the bullet to play a game I bought with Denuvo in it (begrudgingly), I won't install anything I know to have SecuROM in it. Not even in a sandbox.

You have a real apologist approach to DRM, and it's no wonder people accuse you of being a shill. It seems like you're trying to urge people to ignore that DRM and just do it anyway, and I'm not keen on that at all. I don't have any desire to play Automata because of their DRM, and I'm a staunch FromSoftware fanboy, but I would see myself avoiding a From release if it had Denuvo in it. As a PC gamer, you put up with a lot of shit, bloatware, ever increasing power inclines for system requirements, botnets (although the consoles have this problem too) and spytaps. Why should I add in a cumbersome DRM interface that slows my shit down by anywhere from 5-30% for the "peace of mind" that it gives publishers to know that Billy and Corey didn't get to play their latest shitheap of a fucking game the day of release because it had Denuvo in it? Fuck you.

I suggest you look up the definition of DRM
Since you're retarded, I'll do it for you, from wiki:

Digital rights management
Digital rights management schemes are various access control technologies that are used to restrict usage of proprietary hardware and copyrighted works. DRM technologies try to control the use, modification, and distribution of copyrighted works, as well as systems within devices that enforce these policies.

pc gamers are too obsessed with politics to hold an actual discussion about video games except the same 4 games from 10+ years ago.

He said earlier he hated Denuvo but didn't like lies being spread.
He is not an apologist, all you retards are just so blinded by your own circlejerk that you forgot to consider that some people are just out there for noble causes you don't agree with anymore, such as spreading the truth regardless of your personal beliefs.
There are many other reasons to hate Denuvo other than that myth.

Yeah, it is no fucking wonder people accuse others of being a shill. Not because of what he said, but because this is Holla Forums.

Yeah, shows real hate, he wants to "get that record straight" on something he "hates." The rational logic of it doesn't ring any bells for you, why would he care if he hates thing? It'd be like someone telling you "well I know that the number of black crimes is higher than the number of white crimes per year, but don't you think that this is an exaggerated example by people who hate blacks? Blacks are good and honest people who didn't do nothing, and we should focus instead on preventing black deaths." Then you look at their skin, and they're black, and they're holding your TV in their hands.

It's no secret that anti-shilling is a tactic used to get among a crowd to spread shilling. "Well I hate this thing, but this thing is actually a pretty good thing because…"

that's a perfectly valid reason to not get denuvo games. performance possibly suffering, mod limiting, and being DRM at all are all reasons to hate denuvo instead of people perpetuating unfounded myths.

luckily there's not a single game with denuvo that i'd consider higher than a 6/10 so i'm not too bothered by it.

Not even Automata, eh?

Are you saying that cracked Denuvo games are phoning home?

Securom is such a piece of shit and DRM in general is cancer.
I have to fucking crack my own legit copy in order to play a game. It really makes me angry.

Your post is fucking retarded and far fetched, user.
He cares for the truth and not lies not being spread out there. He also said there are plenty of other valid reasons to hate Denuvo, like mod support.
Actually I already said this, too. I don't want to repeat myself to an autist, and I'm not going to nanny your broken feelings for being proven wrong.
If you want to keep spreading lies, go ahead. I'm not that guy, I actually do hate Denuvo more than I care about the record being set straight, so it's fine by me. I only replied because I dislike hypocrite faggots like you. As far as your cause goes, I don't have a problem.

What?
They rereleased the game but added Denuvo? That's hella retarded.

yeah no one believes you even played it.

I know some people are totally fine with outright lies being spread if those lies align with their opinions but I don't count myself among them.

I expected MGR or bayonetta combat + a good story and I got flashy but shallow combat and miles of filler content. the entire first 2 acts being essentially filler garbage. ugly world aside from 2 spots and dragon age cisquisition tier sidequests. platinum should've stuck with linear levels instead of this awful attempt at an open world that you have to constantly run back and forth through like dragon age 2

I know you can warp, but it doesn't change that you're reusing the same handful of shitty areas
deleted other post because i FUCKED the spacing

meant to attach this goddamnit

boy you really are a lost cause.

it's not shit, it's just something you're really, really on the other end of understanding and have some clear as day failures in comprehending it. There's not even any point in entertaining your arguments.

That's retarded, and you know it.

you really just don't get it. You're a lost cause.

those are the biggest for me, also muh freedom

you can do some superficial moddiing, but anything significant like long war or sf4anime remix is off the table

this is the case with a lot of PC games. Even from way before denuvo existed. Mods don't add any value to anything is the mods are all shit anyway.

I really hope you're not saying all my complaints are the result of a stylistic choice. if having a garbage world, garbage sidequests, and insane reuse of the same few areas are the nier series's style, i'm pretty sure it's shit.

you're still failing to explain why you consider the shit combat, shit world, and story that only starts getting acceptable after you do the same filler prologue twice, acceptable because that's apparently hallmarks of the nier series.
It's shit. just accept that platinum's first attempt at an open world game is shit that's only defended by taro fangays.

you aren't helping yourself here.

you're not making a convincing argument as to why nier isn't a mediocre pile of shit

And the case with ALL denuvo games.

What the fuck did he mean by this

The connection between shit games and Denuvo isn't that hard to figure out. Think about what Denuvo does - it's not meant to be a permanent anti-piracy measure, its only purpose is to sufficiently delay the crack. The publisher that decides to get Denuvo wants to make sure that nobody has convenient, free access to their product in the first few weeks to months. They want people to go into the purchase as blind as realistically possible. What does that say about the publisher's faith in the title?

what does it say about the publishers faith in the platform is the question you should be asking.

Platinum fags truly are the worst.

If they can't make money on the platform without resorting to scummy tactics, they shouldn't make a game for it. Better yet, they should stop shitting out generic AAA garbage altogether. The world wouldn't be any worse off if ME4 hadn't been made.

That they have no faith that the game can convert cautious pirates into fans? The inveterate pirate will not buy your game just because he can't pirate it.

muh story fags are the worst

here's the problem, they're putting money in to a platform and expecting sales. There's great games that get pirated to shit and back. It was Platinum that was speaking out about getting stronger DRM in nier automata, and they had numerous releases on PC at that point. Numerous solid games. What does it say about the reception of the games if they feel they need to better secure their products which no doubt, they have a high level of confidence in, to ensure optimal sales?

Few PC gamers even care about denuvo, let alone DRM given the popularity of steam (hurr steam isn't drm it's steamworks, fuck off, no one cares) - judging from the sales of nier automata. Yet these studios are seeking stricter ways to secure their releases to create more sales.

If they aren't getting the sales they want and know there's many pirated copies floating around out there, why does it say to you the developer lacks confidence? They are getting the sales on other platforms. Just not on the one with the DRM problem.

there is no meaningful way to prove pirates will buy something. Most people know by now PC gamers mostly buy things on sale - reputable sources that have direct sales information have said as much regarding their steep game sales. Pretending that pirates are also hyper consumers is irrelevant as it is impossible to track this accurately.

And?

Das a good argument mang xD

But shit gameplay with "deep" story is the staple of jap garbage.

developers either lose interest in the platform, or try to protect their product to secure sales.

Oh, the good ol' "piracy = lost sale" meme.

By the way, it's not the devs who put denuvo in their games.

platinum seemed to really, really want it for nier especially after what happened to RE7. Devs want it, and the denuvo email leak proved they want it. Stop ignoring reality.

most sales happen in the first two weeks or so. So yeah…piracy during that period is a pretty safe lost sale and maybe someone buying the game for half price later down the line to "support the devs."

>tell eu commission that drm/denuvo is homophobic/islomophobic

Source?
What the fuck makes you think if a pirate can't pirate something he'll buy it?

would you buy something you got for free? Most people who say this insist on buying it on sales.

living under a rock?
dsogaming.com/news/nier-automata-may-be-slightly-delayed-on-the-pc/

t.consolefag

Going over the thread and skimming the bullet points, because every time denuvo is mentioned, most people just assumed HUR DUR DRM BAD, which it is, but it is better that the average faggot on Holla Forums can describe why its bad to better communicate to devs why they should not do this shit in our far-flung futuristic year of CY+2

Is that about right?

That's entirely on them, just because some schmuck somewhere has decided that X game is set to ship Y units, it won't become a reality
Yeah, but how is this relevant? As far as I know, there is no established link between increased piracy - decreased sales. On the other hand, games that get pirated a lot tend to sell well. In my second world country everyone and their grandmother had a pirated copy of GTA around even in the beginning of the 2000s, did that kill the GTA franchise?
What you're saying is that they knew that Nier would sell well, but they wanted to squeeze every penny out of it, and in their subjective opinions the best way of achieving that was with very intrusive DRM.
They don't know how many pirated copies are out there, at best they can estimate. Were they having serious issues with sales on PC when compared to other platforms? I strongly doubt it, but I assume you can present a source for this.
Otherwise, the bottom line is that the higher ups had decided that the best way to milk Nier was adding intrusive DRM, and they have no idea how well it worked. They cannot realistically measure how many sales were gained or lost over Denuvo. There are also many examples of franchises that absolutely thrived in spite of - or rather, thanks to - enormous piracy and I couldn't name a single title I've heard of failing because of enormous piracy and no sales whatsoever. But someone somewhere lobbied hard for shoving Denuvo into Nier, and so they did. It wasn't hard either, because it's the Japanese we're talking about, not even EA execs are as quick to whine about piracy as the Japanese. Many of them legitimately believe that every single case of piracy is one lost sale.

A PRODUCER and the publisher, truly the chaps people mean when they say "developers".
Your dumbfuck assumption is that if a pirate can't get it for free he'll buy it.
Let's see how it works in reality
steamspy.com/app/524220
Awww shit.

If we were to accept this argument, which we don't, you shouldn't conclude that pirates are not either. A telecommunication body in the UK found that only 42% of pirates are the pirate everything because it's free type torrentfreak.com/0-more-on-content-than-honest-consumers-130510/
inb4 muh torrentfreak, it's sourced.

The fact however remains that having only buyer's remorse eyeballs on a game reduces criticism of it.

Suck my dick, OP.

you realize you linked to a study that says the majority of pirates don't buy shit, and a minority are indeed these hyper consumer types.

funny you link to nier automata's sales, a game which has yet to be cracked yet :) Thanks for proving me right, I like it when my job is done unexpectedly.

I've actually yet to see a proven way in which denuvo is intrusive. The SSD thing is proven untrue and all I know is it does data checks at random. The more I hear about it, the better it sounds than starforce, securom, and tages were years ago. Various installations of denuvo have different restrictions, and obviously I don't agree with some things like limited installs, but I think the use of denuvo is largely exaggerated as well as the importance of the supposed alienated consumers who are fearful of denuvo.

I think it's safe to say they were selling a notable quantity less. It's pretty well known at this point that PC game sales are largely less than console sales. There's a lot of mixed up information out there for the size of the audience on PC, but I think the most obvious is there's a majority of super-focused consumers who play exclusively 1-3 games for long periods of time and buy almost nothing else.

consolefag detected

Yeah, and its sales are less than stellar. Weren't you saying that denuvo helps sales?

Those are actually really good sales for a PC game.

42% of people who have ever pirated a single thing. The ethical pirate subcategory alone contributes 24% of total piracy by volume.

Maybe by consolefag standards. Denuvo money well spent, square.

are you retarded or something? You can't even read the "proof" you sent me.

200k on PC is about 900K-1.1M on consoles. Audience size differences. Sort of like how 70K units of a game in Japan is great.

Keep telling yourself that, fucking indie games like Darkest Dungeon or Spelunky sell much more than that on steam alone. And that's not even counting indies like Binding of Isaac.
And none of them had denuvo, imagine that.

budget game, so selling 1.2m copies at $20 a piece isn't exactly amazing. Not to mention it's multiplatform. Spelunky being a 5 year old game with only 800k sales on PC isn't exactly an amazing number, kind of a predictable one really. You aren't giving me any new information that would change my perception of the market. In fact it's all pretty much in line.

All of those are INDIE games with no big publisher behind them, no fan service bait no big name developer, without established franchise and let's not forget, no denuvo to protect those precious sales.
So yeah, denuvo does suck dick and doesn't magically makes those pesky pirates buy games. What a fucking shocker.

It's 42%, btw. not 35. That's the volume, not persons.

ok? This doesn't magically make them harder to sell. DD had massive coverage everywhere. I'd be very interested in seeing first week sales of DD compared to nier automata, since those would actually be comparable.

I bet having square's marketing and 2B's ass plastered on the internet made Nier harder to sell.
Your mental gymnastics are adorable.

so do you think darkest dungeon sold nearly 200K units in its first week?

Counting kickstarter, very possible.

PC ports usually sell better long term
Not only that but Nier Automata isn't an AAA game and total sales haven't been measured yet.
All we know is that Japanese sales have been around 250K so far.

PC exclusives with a decent budget usually sell better at lauch
For example, CiVI has sold 1.7 Mil with barely any discounts and sold like 1 Mil in its first week.
Total War Warhammer sold 500K at launch and is not sitting at 1.5 Mil with 1 Mil before any discounts.
Beth games usually sell well because muh mods and autistic fanbase.
Arma 3 for example barely had any content in comparison with 2 at launh and sold slowly has more content from both Bohemia and the comumunity reached Arma 3 which sat around 2 Mil before any discounts.

Denuvo only affects games at launch and usually not much, it either fails completely to do anything and affects is long term sales as we can see with most Denuvo games or affects sales for the negative if you check most console ports.

Why wouldn't you?

It did

Even without that, game was pretty popular at lauch due to its Dark Fantasy and cartoonish asthetic besides all the Dark Souls comparisons.

kickstarter only accounts for about 7000 units. Really nothing impressive.

as the price lowers, yes. Which is why those first few weeks sales are so important. There is information on sales data on steamspy.

depends.

you explain it pretty well here:
established audiences. These games are largely PC exclusive in their game play style and haven't really had any penetration in the console market despite some efforts.

the most important sales period.

source.

>>>/d/

Just imagine, there's some fat balding dude with a hairy back out there going "oh yeah i bet that stinks oh man my dick's so hard"

That's the most hilarious shit ever to me.

Jesus christ, dude.

Because she's hot.

What the fuck are they eating?

You're only proving his point that the game sold well then despite Kikestarter copies.
No, constant sales are a thing and they never dry up completely unless the launch was an absolute failure or is a really really small game.
This due to people upgrading or being noticed of said games overtime frok Youtubers to Steam itself.
I've seen games on the top sellers sometimes due to someones video gone viral and such.
And with no need for physical copies which are still the console maintstay even with incresing digital sales, these games are always avaiable.
Sales aren't the end all, they sure help out though
I don't think games like Chivalry, Insurgency, Crusader Kings 2 and Nekopara had exactly big or in some cases any, established fanbases.
Thats the period where the buzz is at its highest and games with or without Denuvo sell regardless.

Steamspy 2015, in Early Access it had already gotten those numbers.
So yeah my ass

Denuvo isn't DRM, its DRM protection. Steam's DRM on it's own is really sloppy and easily cracked. Denuvo protects Steam's DRM by encrypting it. Developers publishing on Steam will use Denuvo in order to further protect their games from piracy.

not bad, at $20 a piece selling 200k units means it earned about a quarter of what nier automata did.

I don't think you're getting this.

How glorious, maybe that'll cover the marketing and denuvo.

Denuvo will disable an active user's account when their payment data is inaccurate or outdated. If users have a problem with their payment method on a later game purchase, their account will be disabled, which will prevent the user from playing their games. Steam support is notoriously slow to respond, so a user's account may be disabled for weeks or months. It is anti-consumer to allow DRM platforms to disable an end user's' entire game library.

Denuvo is anti-multi-platform. In addition to the fact that publishers that use Denuvo usually do not release multi-platform ports, it is true that Denuvo is not supported by third party projects, such as WINE, that can allow users to circumvent the DRM's software restrictions. Inside, the sequel to Limbo, is an example of a game that was released with Denuvo support and is therefore incompatible with WINE. Limbo supports Linux and OS X, [which is evidence that indicates that the developers are capable of porting a game to these platforms], and Inside was built with the Unity engine, which can easily make Linux builds, [which is an indication that it's possible for Inside's developers to create a multi-platform port]. However, because Inside uses Denuvo, the game can't be played on these platforms [because the current Windows version isn't compatible with WINE, and there isn't an OS X version at all]. Doom 2016 is yet another example. The beta version worked great on Linux and WINE, but the final release came encumbered with Denuvo, which effectively stops WINE from supporting the game.

Denuvo makes the very act of playing games difficult or impossible without access to a persistent internet connection. While it is true that a large number of people have internet connections, it is also true that many people have poor download capacity and are subject to outages, which can be detrimental to their ability to play a game if they must use the internet to authenticate their product, therefore it is anti-consumer to expect consumers to constantly validate their games. Denuvo games require reactivation if they haven't been played in a while, or if the user changes any of their computer's hardware, and the game must be authenticated every time there is an update. It's not enough to allow Steam to update, the end user must also open the game while they're connected to the internet and after each update. The games require a persistent internet connection because they require periodical contact with Denuvo's servers for authentication.

Denuvo games may become inaccessible. If, at some point in the future, any part of Denuvo's service is shut down, perhaps as a result of an internet outage or bankruptcy, the games that use the DRM will be inaccessible. Denuvo's proponents have argued that the game publishers may provide users with a method of access, but it us unlikely that a near bankrupt company will have the resources to devote, or the incentive, to create workarounds for products that have long diminished in value. As an example, consider the single-player game Darkspore. It is currently impossible for pirates and paying consumers alike to play this game, because it required a persistent online connection and the game's servers were shut down in March of 2016. In many cases, after an online game has its servers shut down, it is possible to modify the game's executable so it will work with a new master server list. When it comes to a game that uses Denuvo, however, it may be impossible for anyone to modify the game because Denuvo prevents people from tampering with the executable. In addition, Denuvo eternally locks users to their purchase platform. Users who purchase a Denuvo game on Steam must use Steam forever or abandon their purchases. If a user's Steam account gets hacked or locked, their games are gone, because these games were licensed to said account. It is against consumer interest that users are unable to create physical copies of their library of games. It's anti-consumer to allow large corporate entitles like EA to dictate when the fun is over.

Denuvo can lock users out of their accounts in a variety of ways, and ultimately prevent players from playing the games that they rightfully purchased. In closing, Denuvo's appeal is that it allows vendors and publishers to lock down the functionality of their games, and provide them with a simplified means of enabling anti-consumer practices. While Denuvo copy protection may not in and of itself directly damage the end-user, it enables publishers to conduct anti-consumer practices.

C- POORLY WRITTEN, REDDIT. SEE ME AFTER CLASS

Fuck user you're killing me

Whoever made this fucking gif is a monster

Go back to wherever you came from normalfag. It's probably a place like leddit/cuckchan/etc.

REMINDER THAT SONY IS BEHIND DENUVO

Here's how you fart whenever you want:
I used to do it in highschool during my edgier years. I'd go to the bathroom and store a huge fart for later. Then i'd let it rip. People stopped caring since they didn't smell, but nobody ever figured out why.

Dude that's fucking gay

a likely complaint from someone who never played a game in their life

Before being called a shill etc, Denuvo does not constantly read/write to your disk, this was due to LOTF being a POS on release and it was constantly saving your file to your hard drive because the devs were fucking retarded, but it had nothing to do with Denuvo

Denuvo phones home once a month, checks to see if your ID etc is valid and then doesn't call back till a month later, and it only checks back if you run the game and more than 30 days has passed OR the game updated OR your hardware had major changes

It's still a giant fucking POS that ruined 2 of my games on launch day and I couldn't play them till over a week later and I refuse to buy more games with it

and to add on to this

is the worst anti-denuvo example you can give because the entire list is basically "why i hate steam denuvo -by user: age 13"

my head rn

You read that list? Well, tell me, is there a modicum of truth in it? I don't own a single Denuvo game, so I wouldn't know. However, I can see some flaws in some of the assertions being claimed in that post. For instance, the persistent internet connection argument; if you have the ability to browse the web and you can regularly download large files - like fucking video games on Steam - or participate in multiplayer sessions, then you should have no problem with having your game check for authentication every so often. I'm speaking strictly about your internet access here; you have the right to dislike that your game is phoning home, but the argument doesn't hold up.

Spoiler: I don't have to like any drm for whatever reason since, you know, I want to buy the game, not drm.

It holds up perfectly.

I work on a ship frequently. I go months at a time without internet access. Denuvo games need to phone home every few weeks for new keys. I cannot play Denuvo games when I am at sea.

This has turned me from someone who mostly pirated to try into a diehard "check-CPY's-progress-every day" piratefag. I frequently pirate games that I already own, simply because they might stop working.

there's a few complaints in there you can actually attribute to denuvo like the always online thing is like the user said earlier where it phones home if more than 30 days have passed since you last played, otherwise you can play most denuvo games offline, ones you can't is a decision made by devs. grand majority of the complaints in that list are all about steam though and assuming you can't crack denuvo ever

underrated post

or you can not be a fucking gay shoving shampoo bottles up your ass and use a small hose

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Pétomane

Nigger theres a fucking thread on the catalog with people discussing it.
Lustris soon

I just imagine a bunch of frenchmen eating baguettes while they stare at a dude's ass as he sits on a small tub, sucks up the water in it and squirts it all over them.

yeah but those games are mostly sold on sales on steam and humble bundle for 5bux

It's my understanding that Denuvo needs to verify the game every week or so, meaning i'm forced to check in to play your $60 game. I can't just play the fucking game whenever I want, I need to be told I can play it every week.

You know you're a real fuckboy when even the ocean buttfucks you.

Or someone who remembers a time before persistent internet connections were common.

i didn't even post in this thread. how did you respond to me?

It's hard to crack.

Because you can easily get rid of Steamworks and all its inconveniences on day 1?
Currently there's only one group cracking doluvo and they're going to get arrested any day now, the whole cracking scene is almost dead due to various shlomo-funded raids. Dubugo games are on life support from the moment you download them unless a patch comes out to remove it, which almost never happens.

its like pottery

the only good thing to come out of overcuck
dear god girls in skin tight suits, enviromental suits, etc. make my dick diamonds.

That and at least Steam ameliorated some of the asspain from being fucked in the ass by having massive sales. Steam was very unpopular when it first came out and people hated Valve for making HL2 tied to it. We're coming to a generation of gamers that do not know what it is like not to ask for permission over the internet for playing a game. Increasingly little cucks like these see this as the norm and the "right thing". We're heading into a dangerous future, not just for gaming but for the rest of digital life. Sometimes I am reminded of a short story by Richard Stallman called "The Right to Read." While it's poorly written and is a little on the nose, it does kind of unambiguously show what the future holds if we remain on this trend.

Well, it isn't so you're still gay and retarded.

It is exactly correct. It's DRM in every sense of the word.
For the record, Steamworks, bundled with basically every Steam game, even those sold on disc, is also a DRM scheme.

More like 1% at best, the denuvo guys only have a few screenshots that arent totally sockpuppets of them to prove people buy the game instead of waiting for crack or just stop caring

the jeans one near the end sounds she's expelling the sins of mankind through her anus, good lord

i also remember a time when i jacked off to porn thumbnails because pictures would load too slow and picking up the phone made your internet fuck off. We're in a more advanced time now where you can use your cell phone as an internet connection hotspot and we can actually look up game guides instead of calling a fucking hotline and having to pay by the minute like it's phone sex. don't you act like any rational person and freak out when your internet connection goes out even when you're not using it? only really seems like an issue is if you're in buttfuck nowhere and the can't even get a satellite internet signal

Just because I have an internet connection doesn't mean I need to use it for everything. What if I'm monitoring data that's incoming/outgoing and want to eliminate unnecessary software from that list? What if I'm running the game in a virtual machine and don't want to set up net access to said virtual machine? What if I have a computer that has no network drivers that I use exclusively for gaming? Because in case you haven't been keeping up with the news, Microsoft's fuckery is giving people plenty of reasons to keep an offline windows 7 installation.

And these are just a few examples. In the end it doesn't fucking matter. If it's not a fully online game then there's no reason I should have to use a single fucking byte of my bandwidth on it. And as soon as NOT connecting unnecessarily to the internet, in way, shape or form inconveniences or even prevents me from accessing the thing I payed for, then someone's dun goofed and the pirates have a better product. DRM is failure by design and it's not even to stop pirates. It's to control and squeeze as much money out of clients in case they decide they can get more value out of the product than the seller suspected.

For example modded games or cheats/hacks adding more playtime and enjoyment out of a game instead of buying DLC. Or in the US, farmers having to crack the DRM on their tractors in order to change parts.

Because somebody had to fucking do it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but your argument is about end-user privacy, while the faggot on that little blog argued against always-online authentication by pointing out that "some people don't have access to the internet". The point is that the previous argument was poorly made.

The only games that had denuvo that I actually want to play are Planet Coaster and Total War Warhammer, the other ones I don't even want to pirate

It's almost like pirates want me to buy games.

igg-games.com/medieval-ii-total-war-collection-free-download.html

Of course it’s leftypol’s. The ‘tin foil hat’ concept was purposely created as a means of silencing people who were exposing communist conspiracies.

Reported for not even trying.

I doubt he's from there, probably just a paid shill hired by the Denuvo guys.

>justcause3mods.com/

Are you guys retarded?