Saturday Night Horror Thread

Anuu, spookie dookie!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fmvjRv2oMWQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, where are all the dead babies. You would think they would be more common given how much they tend to unnerve people.

Outlast Trinity collection is out. Is this series any good?

Trinity? Did I miss the train or something?

The first game is a barebones stealth game. You will get detected and you will have to run away. It does certain things well and is a solid 7/10 game. Same for the DLC. Dunno about the sequel.

cute robit simulator "soon" fellow horror fag

That's wishful thinking, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=fmvjRv2oMWQ

they said this march was the release date and then went on to say one or two mouths after their next update will be release date

Pretty sure they called the collection that, making Outlast like a midquel or something.

*Outlast: Whistleblower

System Shock remake :^)

you mean butchering

First pic looks like Kojima

The better question is how REmake 2 will end up, from what I hear 7 was a success or at the very least made its money back. Evil Within 2 when?

wasn't there something teased like that?

It was okay, but it wasn't something that revitalized and brought back old Resident Evil survival horror or anything like that. Felt like a combination of the arcade-like RE 4 and minor puzzle elements from the first games. The heavily animated cutscene fights that force control away from you feels awfully artificial, cheapening the experience in a way I can't quite place. More movie than game at that point, which is a worrying trend.

poor decisions or unimaginative direction can slowly compound in space science fiction and turn it to boring shit, imo. Outer space also feels like a niche theme compared to 'inna back woods just outside your home, or abandoned locations'.

Nope. It feels like you're riveted to a set of railway tracks that you can't escape from while you're fully aware of them pushing you along the entire time. You know what's coming, when it's going to occur and how. All sense of fear or dread is dispelled when you know you can't die, and will simply be respawned or knocked around a bit until you progress beyond the checkpoint to the next.

Outlast 2 demo had you walking over piles of dead babies in a poor attempt at showing the limits the devs were willing to go to scare you about satanic hillbillies in the middle of a desert that can somehow warp reality or something. The jumps between locales is so nonsensical, it may as well be a haunted house ride.

I feel as though the "2jaded4scared" meme has utterly ruined the horror genre to the point where jump shit yt bait is all that's "safe" to produce for the triple to single A market

I genuinely have no clue, Tango gameworks has been silent for a while.

Wait, you walk over piles of dead babies in Outlast 2? Are you sure those arent dolls or something?

seems like it's leaks for E3 but I hope not tbh, I'd like something which isn't shit

As far as AAA survival horror games go its slim pickings, and I'm scared its going to be VR only from here on out.

VR is dead, don't worry

Did it already die out as fast as the motion controls or 3D gaming trends? I hope so since I dont want to spend a few hundred on a headset.

I wouldn't say so since it lasted for slightly abit longer and sort of had actual games going for it

This is as good thread as any to ask. Anybody have Vaccine? I can't find a link anywhere in any website.

and it looked good too

I'll be sure to never even look at this game.

if it wasn't timed and randomly generated, it'd be interesting

How spooky can a dookie be?

If/when I can motivate myself back into game dev'ing it would be cool to try my hand at a space horror of some kind.

Also, I'm going to give Silent Hill Homecoming a go after I finish MGS2. Pray for me /horror/.

How terrifying
I couldn't imagine cleaning all of that up without vomiting.

space horror is just boils down to different aesthetics for shit we've already seen before, unless you go in-depth with the game mechanics then I's suggest something else entirely

how can they be in the same room as it without vomiting is what I'd be asking

I want to make a horror-comedy game where your character drop-kicks doors to not have to deal with key bullshit.

I like RE7 as a horror game. It's not the outlast clone I thought it'd be and I finished it feeling satisfied that it reminded me more of RE 1-3 than I would've thought. It brought something new to the table but it didn't feel like the developers forgot where the series started for once.

Playing Parasite Eve tonight. The game is a bit different than I remember.

Can someone tell me what is the best emulator to play Silent Hill(the first game) atm? Also do you have any videos or screenshots of it?

if you can make it goosebumps like then I'd play that shit

parasite eve is pretty decent, though I don't like the monster designs as unique as they are

How'd that even work? I find it difficult to be scared while laughing at the same time.

Seems I did misremember slightly. Guess they weren't babies, but more like weirdly proportioned children. Still, it's a little over the top leaning toward the ridiculous and not frightening.

Parasite Eve plays like a decent b-movie in vidya form; goofy but endearing. Plenty of action alongside peculiar game mechanics with some similarities to Vagrant Story' combat.

It might look like something similar to Deadly Premonition. It has some unnerving moments from time to time.

there's a whole genre of just that thing in the film industry and there's also afew games on it too the most notable being ghost master and gregory's horror show, there's afew others but I don't remember or know

Horror is more about having certain themes than actual scares.

Mednafen/Retroarch. It just werks, and even better if you have Vulkan because then you can use Mednafen HW to make it look all nice and shit.

And atmosphere, don't forget atmosphere. I wish developers did horror through gameplay again and not "hurr spooky setpiece coming along with loud noise! :)"

the nips did and sort of still do it well

Can you recommend a couple of nip horror games?

silent hill
siren
rule of rose
D!
parasite eve
ILL BLEED
resident evil
clock tower
gregory's horror show

there's lots out there but I forgot afew of their names also I mean series rather then just the one and I'm sure I'm only mentioning fairly mainstream ones, there's a information graph someplace with more

I will shill this every thread until I have a group of anons do it for me

Already played all except for the last one. I meant recent, since you said 'sort of still' I figured you might have something more recent.

I might try Gregory horror show.

the first one is better then the second

sorry, I didn't get what you meant, I mean sort of still meaning I haven't really found much new but there's some indie games and fetal frame last I really checked

The horror is played straight, while the comedy is being savvy to the genre.

Any good psychological horror games?

silent hill shattered memory

That might actually just straight up work; make the player character a total badass who can kick doors down and flip cars but still get his shit pushed in by whatever enemies there are

Bloodborne is scaring me more than any game I've played in awhile. Probably because I'm fucking ass still.
Lone Survivor deserves more credit than it gets.

pic related

I wouldn't mind a remake of the second game where any character could die/be saved and bring back the alternate ending

bonus points if joke enemies really push him over the edge

isn't the second game a remake of the first anyways?

No, it's a sequel and admittedly far more linear
As for the alternate ending I should've added the one where Corey lives
I wonder if there was supposed to be a time mechanic for the last level or something?

I got bored with it fairly early on actually so I don't know

I'm listening user. What are you thinking?

I'd say give it one more go, we're not getting much good horror games these days and it's miles better than Texas Chainsaw 7

big talk all cool Mr right moves kinda guy, massive scaredy cat who needs others to take spiders or moths out of a room for him while he gets worked up in the corner on a chair, finds him self lost one day after driving back from a work party up in (some place I don't know) because he was too stubborn to ask for directions in a near by town. his car and phone still work so he can drive around and keep in contact with people when he's not busy panicking of course but even with all of the shit he'd find he's still utterly refuses any kinda help, you could have the game play much in the same way as deadly premonition in terms of how open it is.

I don't know what kinda horror you should have or any kinda story aspect though

see I've been really wanting to play it but it's bloody denvo shit

Speaking of horror, what on earth happened to it? This goes for horror movies as well, it seems like major studios have killed it hard due to shitty remakes/"reimaginings" and right now outside of the few major companies who bother its all independent now.

capeshit ruins everything

the market got too big, too fast and now mainstream shit can't be fairly small in size because of everything which has to go into it as deemed by both casuals and market research divisions but what's more is the lack of "throw at a wall, see what sticks" type of business men in positions which matter.

not to mention the fact that sjw wish to gate keep the indie market by turning it into a not so indie market and another place to viral signal boost their shit ideals

Detention is pretty amazing.

Sounds like Turok 2, on N64 at least. The character is a total badass, but ammo is so scarce and controls so unwieldy that he gets his shit pushed by the enemies in the game.

Horror movies were always shit. Go back and watch the all of the extremely highly rated "classic" horror movies from the 60s and 70s and you'll find that they aren't even a little bit scary. The 80s was when horror got decent for a while, and that carried over into the 90s, but it was still around a 20:1 ratio of absolute trash to good, scary movies.

In the 2000s, studios decided that instead of continuing to run franchises into the ground with shitty sequel after shitty sequel that no one was watching, that they would instead re-capture their previous successes by remaking films with modern production values (and budgets) to attract a new (young) audience that had never seen the originals (or even just taking a relatively modern foreign movies and ruining it with the hollywood kike treatment so it would be "digestible" by western audiences).

So again, Horror has always been shit, and like usual, the answer to "Why is X so shit now?" is "It was always shit, you just don't remember".

It's not even entertaining enough to watch a Longplay of.

Pirate it.
You say it like the older games were super long or something. Resident Evil 2 can be completed in less than 3 hours.
What? Did you even play it? There are puzzles to solve. The game is all about inventory puzzles!
No not really. It has pretty nice atmosphere.
Fuck you, I liked it.

I agree with this. It's not like anybody actually jumps under the covers with a gun or baseball bat from playing a videogame. We just need to "feeling" and atmosphere of horror.

I will always say The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has the best ending of any movie I have ever seen. Also, Psycho and The Last House on the Left are a couple of my favorite movies in general, because they aim for the audience to feel uncomfortable rather than scared.

*the feeling

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was pretty fucked despite having a low body count.

Fuck sake.

Indeed. The reason I say the ending is the best one I have seen is because of how real it feels compared to other horror movies. There's no happy ending or "the bad guy is dead… or is he?" moments. You just see a completely mentally fucked up traumatized girl ridding away as Leatherface is going crazy with a chainsaw. You can practically imagine what her life will be like after the events of the movie. I love it so fucking much.

Well yeah. My point about the price and the time was that if someone wanted to buy it, it's not a lot of bang for your buck.
If we're going to talk about speedrunning, you can knock Detention out in an hour. Also, RE2 is highly replayable.
Puzzles aren't gameplay. I enjoy some good puzzles in my horror games (SH2 would be my favorite example), but puzzles themselves are not gameplay.
Then what's the point of recommending it as a horror game?
That's perfectly fine, I just don't think you did a very honest job of describing it.

I found myself getting annoyed throughout the movie at all of the suicidally bad decisions being made, and how nobody had a fucking gun. My opinion on the subject is that if your horror movie wouldn't exist if someone had a CCW, it isn't a very scary or good horror movie. I was actually laughing at the ending when he did the retarded chainsaw dance, there was no tension for me.

Seems like a complete SH1 ripoff but I would like to see it finished, could be fun.

Then what do you call puzzle games?

Digital puzzles, I guess.

if he ever actually finishes it I'd play it in a second. I love the SH1 aesthetic and the guy is nailing it. Makes me want to fire up Blender and do some low poly modeling

I wouldn't have thought many teenagers carried around guns on vacations in the 70s.

Also people make stupid decisions in horror movies all the time. It's quite astonishing how many idiots will follow strange noises when there is a killer on the loose or, in the case of Jeepers Creepers, JUMP DOWN A FUCKING WELL!.

Glove box guns (often cheap .38 spl snubbies) were big back then, especially in Texas, and the "teenagers" in the movie were in their 20s and 30s.

That's one of the things that ruins most horror movies for me. I have no problem with someone making a decision that seems like a good idea at the time, but then later turns out horribly; but when so many movies have people doing the exact opposite of what you would normally do in that situation, I just get exasperated and can no longer suspend my disbelief.

Are we still talking about the characters?

Anyway, that's another thing I like about The Last House on the Left. The girls don't do anything particularly stupid to my recollection other than ask complete strangers for drugs, but that's neither here nor there. It's been a little while since I've seen that one, so there could be something I'm forgetting.

Don't forget the irresistible urge to split up the group even when you could likely bash the killer's head in with pure numbers if you staid together.

staid
stād/
adjective
adjective: staid
sedate, respectable, and unadventurous.
"staid law firms"

Was this intentional?

On one end you'd cover more ground, but its also likely for someone in the group to get help or use their friends as bait while they manage to escape

Nope, just drunk.

Except you don't need to cover more ground. If the killer is a killer, you don't event want to find him.