What consoles out there are actually capable of handling strategy games?

The Super Nintendo had a mouse and even a damn mousepad, so why do console devs expect us to play strategy games on consoles with a damn controller (like with Halo Wars)?

I know some consoles in the past have had things like keypad and keyboard add ons (which no one really uses unless it's a small one that attaches to the controller like the Xbox 360 one). But how many consoles out there actually had a functioning mouse & keyboard set up for it so it could play strategy games without sucky gamepad controls? Not that it would be worth buying a mouse for a console when PC is much better for it and would allow you to use it for all the games in the PC library and not just a select few like with consoles.

DS

Oddly enough, the Wii. The pointer function was for all intents and purposes a mouse. It's the most underutilized console ever made.

The Xbox 360 after creating Halo Wars

It's less about hardware capabilities and more about the audience. Consolebabbies can't handle strategy and those games becoming common on consoles would automatically mean a dumbing down. See Civ Rev.

This but it's still nowhere near accurate to anything but frustrating. You need a very fast and accurate HID and consoles sacrifice that for couch comfort.
Pic remotely related, the greatest HID ever made.

DS, 3DS, and Wii U. Too bad Nintendo abandoned resistive touch for capacitive touch in the Switch. You'll never see a good execution of this idea now that stylus input is dead.

I hope you are talking about joysticks in general because the fucking sticktion on the warthog is DRIVING ME INSANE

You think you're big? You think you're big, kid?

This. The Wii U's controller had the potential to excellently mimic strategy game UIs. Unfortunately the stars completely misaligned.

I still remember the terrible consolefied controls that stuff like Starcraft 64, Command & Conquer console ports, and etc. had. In some cases PC games getting a console version or ported to consoles is at least playable and potentially fun even if it's clearly an inferior version (like Diablo 1 or Darkstone in the late 90s). But yeah for certain genres you just should steer clear of shitty decisions to put something on consoles that shouldn't be on consoles.

Thank you so much. You're the first person I've ever seen to acknowledge how much better, more accurate, and how much less lag there is with resistive touchscreens.

You mean like PC strategy like Total War or strategy designed (or dumbed down) for consoles like Pikmin.

I mean the only good console strategy game I can think of is Pikmin and that one Japanese themed game with the rolling stone ball but I think you get my point.

Genesis/Megadrive also had a mouse accessory, and a port of Cannon Fodder. Not too many other games, sadly.

Nearly every console after the SNES had mouse support.
Now that almost everything has USB ports, I don't believe there's a single devkit out there without basic m&kb drivers in it.
It's just lazy ass devs not using it. (and people not realizing when they do)

Odama?

Doesn't matter, consolefags are incapable of handling strategy games.

/thread

Considering the complicated input that certain fighting games require, it shouldn't be impossible to do something comparable to a conventional RTS. It'd be hard as fuck to learn, but I could imagine a game that operated off of button and stick combinations to input coordinates and distances, issue build orders, ect. For example, I want to move my camera one hundred fifty six meters to the right, so I hit X (camera control), hold stick right, tap R1 + triangle once (+100), tap R1 (+10) five times, Triangle (+5) once, and square (+1). I then hit L1 to execute command. If I fuck up, I hit L2 to cancel command. But let's say I want to do an absolute coordinate instead of a relative one. I just hit X (camera control), tap circle (to toggle from relative to absolute), then input the direction and distance. I'm sure the actual execution would be different, but I'd be interested in seeing the general idea implemented some time.

I plan to get a window 7 tablet to play Heroes of might and magic and Daggerfall during lunch break. On of those lenovo hybrid stuff will do.

one of those*

hahaha oh user, dont you know?

Strategy games are a boring genre, all of which can be played on a cheap laptop. Someday, Cellphones will be able to run even the toppest tier strategy games and will take over the genre, making PC strategy games only for the deepest of basement dwellers to play.

I don't like playing strategy games on a tiny screen. I don't need it spread out across 3 monitors at like 3000x2000 either, but bigger than my phone resolution at least.

average phone res these days is 1080 man. you can play Valk Chronicles 2 on a cell phone even.

actually i find shitty controls part of the fun and challenge

The Saturn also had a mouse peripheral, unfortunately both Command and Conquer and Warcraft 2 do not support it.

Though surprisingly enough, Panzer Dragoon 2 does supposedly support it.

Truly the pinnacle of strategy games.

PD Zwei plays excellently with mouse controls. Although the game uses 5 buttons it's possible to arrange it to work on the 4 button mouse. L/R button for shifting view in that direction, middle button for shot, and L+R for berserk with the small middle button for pause.