Pop in a Japanese video game

Why is it that Japanese directors and designers are able to deliver such uniquely personal styles of direction that their games immediately jump out as one of "theirs", yet so many Western developers end up mushing together into a sort of generic AAA dev-blob?

It never used to be this way, there used to be just as many prominent Western names (McGee, Romero, Molynuex, Spector, Garriott, Gollop etc.) who were all able to lend a very distinct style to any project they worked on, but it's as if they all just vanished overnight, what the hell happened?

Picture unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/i1ec6#selection-20209.0-20209.89
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because Jews control the west and Jews despise beauty.

Because western video games are not made by people anymore they are made by a market research group

Also different cultures and todd howard

You can tell if a game was directed by Michel Ancel or not. For example compare Rayman 2 which had his involvement to Rayman 3 which didn't.

At least we still have chris.

I don't remember his name anymore, but he seemed like such a bro.

Oh look, another Nips vs. the West thread.
Kill yourself.

I hate nip games, but at least they don't have this.

It's because western games tend to play it safe, so you'll get a room full of writers writing the game, while aiming it towards a specific target audience in order to get as much profit as possible. They'll try to please everyone and end up making something mediocre.
Focus testing ruined the western games industry.

You can, OP. To me, as a non-weeb, that shit all looks the same.

This. Valve was the biggest offender and I'm glad they stopped making games. Playing Portal 2 with dev commentary is depressing. It is "We had this amazing idea for this area but the focus testers were too retarded so we dumbed it down to a find the portal wall that is not so hidden away to proceed" on repeat for the entirety of the game.

I know it's just one guy, You who is spouting this

Why would you do that unless you had shit taste?

Also, just to clarify, I'm not suggesting that Japanese are inherently BETTER for this (Drakengard is a shit game, regardless of how much personality it has) just that Japanese games seem to have far more obvious input from their creative leads.

Please,"weebshit" has been a term since forever. "Disposable" just highlights how many jap games are samey and not even worth mentioning to someone who doesn't like games simply because it was made by a nip.

ah yes…you are right *tips fedora* truly an enlightened athesit, gods not real.

nice one

Dude, the other day when a single IP got banned and purged, literally all the posts containing the term "disposable weebshit" dissapeared at once. You are not fooling anyone.

nice dubs I checked them

Sounds like you would like jap games, friendo, since they seem to like writing stories about killing God.

Pop as in popular music? What the fuck is this thread even about? Fucking weebs.

I agree, my fellow nazi brother. Mass Effect is truely the pinnacle of gaming.

You mean like this, user-kun?

Come on, the West isn't perfect but using Andromeda as an example is just plain unfair.

desperate to be accepted, aren't you? play stalker and come back to me faggot.

"Pop in" means to put a disc into a console.

Is this more your speed?

I agree, fellow Holla Forumsyp. We are far superior and anime should be banned. Two nukes wasn't enough.

This shit needs to stop there are plenty of good western games that aren't normalfag ridden SJW trash.
If you actually played vidya that wasn't AAA trash you would know this you cocksucking weeaboo.

I would ask why you faggots can't appreciate games regardless of its region, but I know its because you yellow dicksuckers have shit taste and only play console focused games as well.

Nay, my fuhrer. I think this would be the best example.

I've heard others say some good things about For Honor, and I've not played it myself so I can't really comment on it's gameplay but, having seen footage of it, I can say it's definitely a good example of the "faceless game developer" issue I originally talked about.

There's literally nothing wrong with the 1v1 mode (the only mode you should be playing)

Boy,oh boy do I love me some diversity in my videogames

we need to stop pretending this is the case.

sure thing weeaboo. kojicuck Holla Forums avatar. lmao.

fucked up my image

fuck you man look at the NOT AAA TRASH FROM THE WEST FFS ITS NOT ALL LIKE THIS fucking weeaboo jesus christ the west is still the best

I know, right?
Can't really be called a videogame if I can't play as a polyamourous newhalf wolfkin transnigerian.

I can easily tell what game was directed by Todd Howard and what wasn't.

Because Japanese businesses still have the attitude of taking risks. American businessmen play it safe and discourage risks.

Reminds me of this interview with frank Zappa about american musicians and producers.

Two's company then, disposable weebshit.

Good taste, famalam.

Are we being raided?

nu/pol/ SJWs complaining about liberal SJWs are fucking hilarious.

Hey there turkroach, still pretending to be european?

fuckign keep posting aAA games you dont know anything about the master race consoles need ketchup

post indie game fucker

fuck you im not turk im pc gamer

You gave money to ubisoft, in my eyes you're a monster.

user, I

What gaem is that? The one in the first pic. Is it good?

Did you even bother looking at the picture?
I think it's breddy gud.

I can't though. Every single one of them is either moeshit, berzerk ripoff, jojo reference, or mecha game #48573.

Always the first post.
This pretty much OP

Turks are white.

Ah, excellent choice, my fellow tolerant and handsome sibling of unspecified gender.
Let us grace these plebeians with our superior western indie games.
Have you tried this one?
You can even choose your pronouns!
Truly, this is the pinnacle of the artform known as gaming.

I miss pre-exodus Holla Forums

Fuck off, shill. You're too transparent.

Interestingly enough indie devs do have a sense of personal style. Dingaling, Toby Fox (tumblrtale faggotry aside), Remar, the maker of FNAF, Edmund, they all have their own style that is dinstinct and visible in both art direction and narrative. Of course, this only applies to portion of indie devs, but it is more palpable than triple AAA western games.

I'll take my nipshit cute girls over pig disgusting women modeled by feminists.

Don't worry, there's a 50% chance that he's a leftytard false flagging.

Although it's true there are plenty shovelware otaku cashgrabs in the east, as well as triple AAA pandering games, there are definitely more Triple AAA Japanese devs that stand out and show distinction than in the west.

Kikes playing both sides as usual, asking you to chose between open ugliness and degeneracy and a more slow, saccharine, perverse decay. Neither east nor west are encouraged to create and support works of true beauty.

Not everything is a dichotomy. I'd say kikes wanting just profits are in both east and west. but just like there are kikes in both sides, there's also devs who want to create a good game and have the liberty to do so as they see fit for the sake of creating something solid and with substance.

The argument at hand that OP has is that the East has more devs following this path than the west, so let's not detour you damage controlling rabbi

pic related Intelligence systems has an incredible Writing department that is still prevalent today. Color Splash is complete shit but at least the writing is incredibly well done.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of what I originally brought up.

What is it about Marty Stratton that separates him from Harvey Smith? Or Simon Larouche from Christian Elverdam? What about Jacob Minkoff? These aren't names I picked out of a hat, they're all directors for major Western releases from over the past year or two. Can you even name any of the games they've worked on? Hell, 90% of the creative heads we DO remember the names of these days are only memorable because they're terrible at their job.

The problem I'm trying to illustrate is that Western game devs seem to have this expectation placed on them that they stick as closely as possible to some market researched, focus tested, publisher approved formula, and it's reached a point where entire development teams can be gutted and the public at large is none the wiser (look at Bioware, for example). It's like a McDonalds franchise - it doesn't matter if the guy making your order is John Doe, Ching Chong or the president of Turkmenistan, the Big Mac you get is going to taste like it was made by literally anyone else.

like pottery

What's true beauty according to you? Some old painting of a fat whore from 300 years ago?

I'm very sorry OP, some retard had to open his faggot mouth and this thread sorta spiraled into a shitposting playground.

I think that the answer of your question is the same reason as to why most western games now are shit.
It degenerated from a fun hobby into a souless industry.
Western directors or games with a specific flavor aren't necessary anymore, because consumers will eat up whatever the industry shits.
As to hoe japs avoided this, I have no idea.

This raises the question, how much different would they be if they were developing for the same target demographic?

pokemon, edf, jrpg shits, every vita game

dark souls, monhun, dragon's dogma, shin megami tensei, squeenix shits

god hand, resident evil 4, mgs, nier and the rest of platinum shit, every single one by sudo51, too many to name

There are few to no games that go beyond these themes.

Western AAA devs don't stand out because they're far more versatile than the japanese in developing their style, and they aren't very active in social media, they tend to avoid fame. For example, Jason Rubin of Crash and Jak, Martin Edmonson of Driver series, the GTA crews, and such. A few such as Todd Howard and Molyneux stood out because they often overlap as public speakers, not for their twitter memes.

Tru dat.

You're doing a good job. Make sure to remind be to deposit 0.01c into your account by Thursday.

Were the devs mentally deficient?

So the cancer has come here too, soon we will be like cuckchan, filled with Redditors who get triggered over anime and shit up threads. If only Mark had some balls with banning newfag cancer.

Choose one and only one, faglord. SMT is more of a wizardry rip off with sci-fi cyberpunk horror, unless you're talking about Nocturne which is the black sheep. Obviously you haven't played any of these games and see them at a surface level. You're no better than the weebs that hate Western games.

The only versatile western dev, or at least truly versatile, is former Rare now playtonic. And when Rare made a game, you know it was made by Rare. It had distinction.

OP is talking about the present, not old Triple AAA devs. Crash and Jak was a long time ago. Same with Rare. Japanese devs are the ones keeping that distinction, because it is definitely a reason the fact they are less muddied by kikery, less than in the west.

Also Todd Howardd is shit memes aside and his games are bug-ridden, glitch-infested messes. Molyneux is a hack as well. You've yet to throw current year triple AAA western devs that stand out.

Pozzed as fuck (((Western))) games are legitimately shit though.

C'mon. Nier is closer to Berserk than JoJo, SMT bears little resemblance to Berserk, and EDF is more about giant bugs than cute girls doing things. Can't you get your comparisons right?

I can sort of understand Pokemon, even though gen 7 is the only one that I'd consider bordering on moeshit. EDF is fucking Starship Troopers. I don't understand how you could possibly put it in this category.

Are you baiting or just a retarded Japan-hating goon?

No, Obsidian game filled with SJW garbage and cliffhanger ending

SJW trash, Denuvo Garbage, try again faggot.

Short version is simple. Game developers are owned by investors who want it safe, ran by Presidents/CEOs who don't understand gaming who then rely on marketing departments whom only know of the biggest games and are replaced by the time they get a hang of the industry as a result they eternally push out garbage products.

Add to that mix Progressives thinking gaming was some illustrious field so they moved into in droves and now pollute every game with their garbage ideology, but thankfully nothing they make is turning a profit, so it's probably what will finally crash this decrepit industry driving investors out for a golden decade of gaming before the whole process repeats again.

I can't believe Tarkovsky-user is this retarded!
Actually, I can absolutely believe it, as this is the same retard that believes Todd Howard is a visionary.
archive.is/i1ec6#selection-20209.0-20209.89