I've always seen people talking about the Thief series in this board, but I've never played it

I've always seen people talking about the Thief series in this board, but I've never played it.
I just own pic related game and I want to know if I should play it or just pirate Thief GOLD in PC.
Also, besides "it's not classic Thief", is this new Thief any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

thedarkmod.com/main/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its generic Dishonored tier shit.

even ignoring the pretentious pseudo intellectual "what made thief" shit that thief 2014 does wrong and the original do right - judged purely on its own, thiaf isn't a good game. It's not worth playing and I suggest not touching it at all.

thief gold is good, thief 2 is good too. they also have some notable flaws in some of the level designs, but are pretty solid games. thief gold includes some weak levels but some great ones that are not in the dark project. song of the caverns is one of my favorite.

Yes, do play classic Thief.

As for Thi4f, well, it's okay. It's not terrible, although it is a terrible Thief game. The main plot is awful, but the rest of the game isn't too bad, and it has some nice graphics, even if the aesthetic doesn't change all that much.

Holla Forums hates it most strongly because of what could have been i'd say. Give it a shot. It's basically the DE:HR of Thief and that could be a good thing or bad thing for you.

DooSex was average
Thi4f is fucking mediocre garbage

Why

human revolution was pretty mediocre. Just wish skills were more interesting. At least combat was far better than in the original deus ex. story sucked in HR too.

I've actually played it through and I disagree. When compared to what came before it is indeed mediocre, but alone it's an okay stealth title.

If it came out as a new title without the old franchise it would have been received better.

Thank you, guys. I'm going to play GOLD and 2 and after I give Thi4f a shot.

Thief Gold all the way. Thi4f is pretty garbage, though I will say that the chapter 5 abandoned asylum had some pretty good atmosphere. Everything else is garbage.

I pirated it and dropped somewhere on the way. The grind is terrible. You have to collect single coins in overworld city and scissors and silver inkwell during missions. It doesn't feel like playing a master thief. You also have lots of gimmicky game mechanisms that are intended to make it easier for console players. Think Uncharted series. But you no longer can put an ear to a closed door to hear if there is somebody on the other side.

Hey, the quality of 3 is halfway between the first two and thi4f. It's even better with the mod that reverts some of its consolitis, joining smaller, modular maps into larger ones like in older games.

*inkwells

Have some pics.

have fun. make sure you use the latest fan patches. I believe its TFix for thief gold/TDP and tafferpatcher for thief 2. This is necessary, as the games may not even launch on your system without these installed. If they do launch expect copious amounts of technical issues and cutscenes not to work.

The patches are a necessity. They're pretty solid games and do some interesting things other devs haven't really revisited much at all. Would be nice to get another game with improved/similar mechanics. I'd suggest playing thief 3 before thief 4 because I will say it is a little better than thief 4. Just a little.

Well, yeah. In our world at least, in that era, tailor's scissors and nice inkwells were expensive..
Did… you actually play it? There is literally no grind and I never found myself scrounging for coins to buy anything in particular. If you're playing right like I did then you should have enough resources at any given time, although you'll never be awash in money like in some games. Upgrades on Garrett are for kids (I think I bought one or two overall) and you don't need them to win with ease, and that tended to free up a lot of money for general supplies and such. Generally speaking, and it's a fault in the game that I acknowledge, I found you really didn't need to use anything but rope arrows to progress, and those are 15 coins each and usually spawn around where they're needed.

Another legitimate complaint is that some of the climbing did feel lifted straight from Asscreed, but there wasn't a lot of it.

Compared to firs two games, it's terrible. In them all you spend your cash on are disposable goods that don't carry from one mission to another. And petty stealing is not something that you would normally associate with a heist. The issue of scale.

The graphics on the PS3 and 360 look amazing.

Thief is a wonderful, wonderful game and the differences between it and Thi4f embody perfectly just how far standards in vidya have fallen in the last decade or decade and a half.

No, it's not.
I'd salute you if you make it past the first hour of this horrible mess.

Don't forget Thief2x and possibly deadly shadowsthough not as good it's still a better stealth game than nuThief and Dishonored

Yes, make sure you use fanpatches for the first three thief games.
No, it's somewhere between shit and average.

What did they mean by this?

If you play on Master difficulty and turn off focus mode, the map, guard awareness indicators, and all the other casual shit, then NuThief is a competent stealth game. But it doesn't live up to the legacy of the series. It's sort of like Splinter Cell: Blacklist in that regard, if that series had never had Conviction.
Since you already own NuThief, I'd recommend playing it in the manner I described, to see if you like the actual gameplay. Of course, if you don't, you shouldn't force yourself to go through it.
Either way, yes, you should absolutely pirate Thief Gold, and Thief II. They're both exquisite, though Thief II is better because it actually focuses more on being a proper stealth game. The entire idea of a game based entirely around sneaking was sort of novel when the original Thief came out, so it occasionally tries to put you into more action-oriented sequences, and while you can generally sneak your way out of them, it's clear that the developers were still not entirely convinced that "stealth game" could work as a genre. With Thief II, they knew that the core concept was solid, and the whole game is built around it in a more cohesive way.
TL;DR: Consider playing NuThief with the casual shit turned off, then absolutely play Thief Gold and Thief II (in that order). Then play Thief: Deadly Shadows. Then weep as you realize that stealth games reached their peak in 2000 and have yet to surpass it.

Also, I just torrented the GOG versions of Thief Gold and Thief II, and they worked fine without any patches required, even though I was playing on Linux.

Man nobody recommended the dark mod.

thedarkmod.com/main/

Its basically what thief 4 should of been minus the big weakness of having no real campaign(fan missions).

Its free and it still puts Nu Thief to shame.

Deadly Shadows caps off the story, which is really the only reason to play it.

The games cost like 3 dollars you cheap fuck

Deadly Shadows sucks. You shouldn't play it.

who cares?

So? That money goes to Square Enix, not to any of the developers or even the original publisher. Paying isn't rewarding anyone for anything, and it's not going to incentivize SE to make more Thief games.

The money goes to Squeenix. It's like paying for Deus Ex 1 right now to "support the devs", none of the original devs are getting the money.
Did Thief 4 even have differing materials to step on that had differing levels of loudness? In Thief 1 and 2, if you stepped on marble everyone around you would hear you like crazy with a single crouching slow step. I played it, but I can't for the life of me remember if it did.

Going to try Thief again at some point. Some of the missions were really grating to play, such as the Necropolis, Prison and Thieves Guild.

Water and broken glass were loud, and you had to go slowly across them. Besides that, you just had to walk on any surface and you wouldn't be heard; running would always be noisy, even on carpet.
NuThief really dropped the ball on audio, in almost every way.

Stay away from my face, thief, or you'll be sorry.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
I knew glass was loud, but Jesus Christ, how hard is it to explain that

The third game is okay. Not fantastic but it's not offensive in any way.

Get a refund now for thi4f and just play 1 and 2

kill yourself

JUST QUIT PLAYING THI4F AND PLAY THE OLD ONES FAGGOT

I want some slight middle ground between Garrets clogging around and Gorrits click to activate ghost mode

Im not saying I want to sprint around on marble with guards a foot away Im just saying its possible to put your foot down and not go
CLACK

Slide or use moss arrows you nigger.