Things in Games That Didn't Make Sense To You

Things in Video Games That Didn't Make Sense To You

Sometimes, no matter how good or shit the writing, art, whatever is, it fails to convey some sort of information. Post some shit from games that never made sense to you, and other anons try to help you figure it out.

Alternatively, art/story/design that tried to do one thing, but ended up being perceived differently. Pic related.

Pic related. I can't figure out what part of the god damn voidwalker was in the character portrait in vanilla wow. I can see that the gold part is part of his bracer, but the entire image looks like a blue gorilla. What the fuck were they thinking?

This fucking thing.

I can't see a person, all I see is some kind of duck with a monster for a torso.

it's a picture of its face, if you look closely you can see the distended brow, the eye and spectral tusk looking things - the body is just all the same color so it looks weird

Just a dude with a green/greyish outfit with a mask and backpack.

Every game with a focus on story/writing. Almost always, the story is presented through dialogue and cutscenes. At best, they lock you in a room with some fuckhead(s) and expect you to listen and not be bored to death, at worst they freeze everything, not even letting you walk while some faggot says some stupid shit. When do I get to kill something? When do I get to play the fucking game already? I thought Half-Life 2 was just a stepping stone for dialogue in games and how its presented, not the fucking pinnacle.

Nope

Incorrect

All I see.

Is it from the side? I'm sure it's the side. It makes sense that it's his face, but there is NO WHITE for his eyes at all. It's shit and it's pissing me off. I can't even find a side shot of a voidwalker to compare by overlaying.

Gonna need an example there, faggerino.

This is what a Voidwalker looks like now.
He got fucking ripped.

There are no white parts for his eyes in the portrait at all. I'm trying to find the new model's portrait, maybe it will give me a better hint. This shit has pissed me off for more than a decade. I'm probably on the spectrum.

The Persona games have the same issue.

Can revive party members with items and magic, but if the main character dies, instant gameover.

Real fun in a game with a bunch of instant death spells.

It makes sense to me, but it doesn't make sense to me. Does that make sense?

Its probably because his eyes are particle effects/2d sprite attachments, and the portrait is a still of the model render.

Screenshots aren't getting the particle effect for his fucking eyes. Maybe it's the same for the portrait, but why the fuck wouldn't they draw them in?

I thought it made sense to me once, but I was only fooling myself to make the autism stop.

Look at this shit. What the fuck is this crap? How the fuck is this the same as the blue gorilla in the portrait?

This is some advanced autism- you're not even using the same angle for your screenshot.

Try this.

Hop on a private server and show me how it's done then.

retro-wow.com

Mate, I'm just pointing out that Occam's Razor applies pretty heavily here.

They took a screenshot at a half-turn face angle, like most portraits, and more than likely compressed the image horizontally to (poorly) show more of a silhouette than the big blue blob you're complaining about. No reason to obsess.

Now the original portrait looks like a fucking blue dragon smiling with his eyes like ^_^ popping in from the bottom right corner.

I turned on Luna unit frames. This is not helping.

Some of the Personas had a good reason for this though, 3 especially. However, Mass Effect still doesn't.

That doesn't stop the spiders from clawing around in my brain.

Someone fucking tell me I've found it.

Only thing that makes any fucking sense anymore.

Don't remember any particular reason in P3 for that.

Bruh did you not get past the first month or what? MC is the container for Death or whatever it is, so if he bites it it's the end of the world. Same reason he runs out of energy and winds up being a permanent human barrier at the end.

That's wrong though

I don't have a reaction image for this.

Spectres are actually necromancers.

Nightfire. How the hell did mr. Billionaire build all of that shit without getting noticed?

Togekiss and Doduo memes aside, i still don't understand what they meant to say with this sprite.

The portrait isn't just some static image file, it's actually the model in a frame.

He's squatting, he has his right glove covering his chin, and left glove going forward.

The character is top heavy on the art, and they have to fit his entire model into a tiny square. I guess they thought making him squat would solve the fitting issue.

by "draw them in", I meant maybe when they do the portrait they ignore particle effects.
What I did here:

Makes the most sense if they ignore particle effects.

Cartoon logic at it's finest, or the base of his tail(s) is basically an organic rotor.

OP ruined his own thread with his autism.

HP bars in MMO's

I want all the info to be hidden. You don't know if someone is a NPC or a player. You don't know their level or their health.

Most models are reused and not recolored all the time, it would be a nightmare trying to figure out what's what.

I actually messed with a model viewer for WoW way back when, the way their models work is that in a static frame it will animate the model, but you have to be running the engine for the particles to actually show up. You see it a lot in TBC models because of how many particles they used. So the first time you loaded a model but had the runtime paused the model would show up with zero particles. Voidwalkers eyes are particle effects, which only render when the game is actually running.

So the iconframes render a single frame of the model in its default pose, which for voidwalkers looks like it has its hands out to the side. The little crystal your seeing is the top of his vambrace poking out.

The reason the icon isn't pre-drawn is because this gives greater scaling options to render it. A rendered icon will fit on any monitor, from 600x800 to 2560x1440, and be very visible, which is important for MMOs with large varieties of players. It also means the game doesn't have to have a drawn icon for every mob in the game, taking up more space than just using the model the player HAS to have to play the game.

Heres a few other examples, one of the things probably confusing you is the how close the camera is to the face with a very wide angle.

is that why Tauren females had no eyes for the longest time?

Yeah, Blizzard likes their particle effects for character eyes, it was the same thing with night elves and epic mounts. I haven't played WoW or messed with its model viewer since WotLK, but I imagine they probably figured out how to do it right with all the graphical updates since then.

I miss actual cutscenes. None of this "walk forward slow as shit while some asshole talks." Actual cutscenes as a reward for getting through sections or stages of the game, where cool shit happens and the story unfolds. What devs nowadays don't seem to understand is that cutscenes should be used as a form of downtime/reward. Oh you beat this part? Here, you get to see more plot. Then Half-life showed up with that scripted event bullshit and everyone and their mother are doing it in some form.

I was confused, but then i prayed to our lord and savior Godzilla and got answers.

Megalon's hands feature rotating drills, but he's not a cyborg. Moreso, both hands can interlock at the wrist and perform a full spinning rotation while connected, turning both wrists into the base of a large rotary drill.

So the voidwalker portrait in vanilla doesn't have the particles rendered in the portrait. Imagining they had particles, it would look like:

?

Would play.

Maybe the tails actually separate from his body?

Maybe you can imagine that they don't fully rotate, but look like they do. Like an optical illusion.

Haha, resembles some kind of darker and edgier Banjo-Tooie.