A friend of mine has opened his eyes and will not be playing the new Mass Effect game...

A friend of mine has opened his eyes and will not be playing the new Mass Effect game. What other games could I recommend to him? Specifically, RPGs which are big on characters and customisation; games where one feels immersed in a world where one is not alone or railroaded into playing one type of character. Think about how many different endings to quests there were in New Vegas, or being able to walk around your castle in a dress uniform instead of armour in Dragon Age, that sort of stuff.

Darklands
Arcanum
Ultima series
Good luck on making your friend a non shit-eater

Tell him to buy No Mans Sky.

Styx

Thanks user.

Too linear; also lack of character customisation.

I pitched these to him and while he said they all look pretty good, they're too "managerial" and not "personal" enough.

He wants Sims with swords and magic I guess.

He's a normalfag.
Tell him to play Skyrim or New Vegas, but make it clear that Fallout 4 is the same shit as Mass Defect 4.

Mass Effect is extremely unique in that it's the only game in its style. The only franchises that come close to mimicking it are Fallout and TES and fuck that shit. Your faggot ass friend is going to have to go play some different shit.

His favourite game is Dragon Age: Inquisition, I think.

disgusting. has he even played origins?

Yes.

Mass Effect 1

Eh, tell him to play Dark Souls or something. Don't forget to mention that it can be beaten bare naked only without leveling up.

Gothic 1
Gothic 2 and the expansion
Arcanum
Fallout 1 and 2
Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod
Deus Ex
System Shock 2

Take your friend away from western gaming, it's all shit anyway. Gift him Dragon's Dogma.

/thread

Inoperable

Man, maybe go Dragon Age: Origins, and if he likes it, then tell him that all the other good RPGs are really old.

Darklands, Arcanum are really good, although I'm not sure how willing your friend is able to overlook the age of a game.

I just watched a bideo gaem analeses video on ME3 and it made me yearn for another game with meaningful choices, a deep world and good characters. No, I'm not suggesting ME3 finished the story well. I'm saying that I want a game like ME1.
The good fallout games are the ones which come to mind but if your friend is a casual, then he should start with NV before going to 1 and 2.
Fable TLC is very casual but can still be enjoyed by patricians.

Alpha Protocol. It's what Mass Effect should have been, at least in terms of how story and dialogue are handled.

Good joke.

2nd one is very Meme-lands in terms of Styx's commentary. Otherwise, both games are very solid.

Have you looked into euthanasia?

Try Age of Decadence.

Well, then get him to play Dragon Age Origins, a foot-in-the-door. Then work your/his way down to older but far superior games.

what about those star wars rpgs? Knights of the Old Republic

I know KOTOR 2 is preferred to KOTOR

KOTOR 1 is fanfiction, KOTOR 2 is actually pretty good, but be sure to grab the restoration mod.

Irredeemable.

Still a fun game overall with a neat twist, but yeah the story is basically just A New Hope fanfiction. The entire game structure is identical to Mass Effect 1 as well.

Not bad though, just not as good as KotOR2 TSLCRM

Oh, yes, it's worth a playthrough at least, especially if you plan to play KOTOR 2 since it does reference the game from time to time and has a few recurring characters.

Kill him

underrail

Abort him now.

If your friend cannot get into Mass Effect n Dragon Age, perhaps RPG's are not his stuff? Or give Skyrim a try, Bethesda usualy made there games for casual players not like Bioware that stickies to more hardcore oldschool RPG mecanics of deep, engrossing storylines and character delvopement.

Get him to play graphically modded Morrowind, using that overhaul pack. Play it up as being really retro, but with high-res textures for a super unique look.

Maybe he'll like it and will actually develop some good taste.

Abortion at this stage is called murder user.

Oh
I have to go

After you play 2 or 3 of their games you begin to realize that they were always shit devs

This looks absolutely disgusting

The character creation, character models, combat, and exploration are better.

I never thought I would see the return of potato faces.

I bet you unironically like "indie" pixelshit.

I bet you unironically use SweetFX with HL1

Anyone has a list? I always mix mods and end up breaking the game

Get him to play games that RPGfags dread instead of one of their gay talking simulators. Start with the classics.
Wolfenstein 3D(Optional)
Shadow Warrior(Optional)
Hexen(Optional)
Heretic(Optional)
Painkiller(Optional)
Doom
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Blood
Serious Sam

She's gonna end up getting poisoned if she's not careful.

I think he's talking about those texture mods, and if he does he's right; it looks like dogshit. Vanilla is fine by itself when it comes to graphic mods, maybe just a lighting overhaul and increase draw distance though.

Does he like rock climbing?

Also, Fallout 2 is the right choice. Great NPC dialogs and interactivity, and the controls aren't as hard to get into as, say, Ultima 7. If he complains about the shitty combat, just teach him to cheat by using the save game editor.

Boring games tbh. I played a hell lot of Doom as a kid but now I can't stand playing for more than 15 minutes. I dropped Quake not long after discovering all guns. The only tolerable game on that list is Duke 3D, my first FPS game ever, and I still love the aesthetics to this day. Blood and Shadow Warrior are more boring than Duke.

How are they boring? Because you can't talk to the demons?

maybe she's trying to gorge herself and then kill herself

Boring graphics, boring animations, boring settings, boring 2 dimensional gunplay, lack of long term reward for discovering secrets when you have obtained all guns, well just boring.

Sounds to me like you're making up excuses for your overwhelming cuckold attitude, aversion to violence, and desire for anal penetration. Go back to your gay RPGs, faglord.

Like I said, there's an overhaul pack. I was using nothing but that.

It looks excellent, though. What's lacking is higher poly count on character models. I'm not asking for Crysis though, I just wanted nicer landscapes and objects, and a draw distance that's greater than 20 feet. The dynamic lighting is a nice bonus.

And dungeons are dark enough that light spells and torches actually become useful.

Expeditions: Viking.

I love Soldier of Fortune 2 for it's perfect gunplay and gore. 2.5D fps games being good is just a meme.

If he likes Dragon age origins battle system he might like FF12, as they're pretty damn similar in that regard. Game as a whole isn't fantastic or anything, but its decent and better than most of the shit that comes out these days. If you can tolerate Van or Vaan, however the fuck his name is spelled.

Potatofaces at least died with Oblivion back in the [previous decade]. Bioware continues the legacy in [current year] while Bethesad is at least trying to push their Gamebryo to its limits.

You forgot Rise of the Triad.

I disagree, but I understand why you feel that way. Have you tried Brutal Doom? It has some genuinely good gunplay.

Trying to change people who are this far gone can end up being counterproductive if you're not careful.