Anyone else think that P2 is probably the high point of the Persona series? With Persona 5 coming out...

Anyone else think that P2 is probably the high point of the Persona series? With Persona 5 coming out, I figure I may as well ask.

(Also, with Atlus's survey, we might get a P2 Duology HD remake, but I doubt it because there were probably far more popular options listed on it.)

eh maybe? Gameplay wise, not at all, there's too many mechanics that are either flat RNG or aren't explained and completely break the game (see fusion spells). Story wise, you could make a case for it

NO MARIE, NO BUY

Yeah, fair enough. As much as I like Fusion Spells, I'm not a big fan of the RNG the game has sometimes.

That said, a P2 IS + EP remake with more P3-4 style battles (still keep in all the damage types, it'd be kind of weird to get rid of Water when it's one of the main types of damage in the game) would probably be a good way to go about it.

I don't think it's the pinnacle, I just think it's not faggy and didn't ruin Atlus like the 3d persona games did. Well they ruined more companies than Atlus.

I just can't bring myself to give a damn about persona 5. Not that I have any reason to think it's outright a bad game, more like I hate the overwrought aesthetic and the characters don't appeal to me.

Would you say that P1 is the pinnacle, then?

Yeah, that seems to be a general consensus that quite a few people have reached.

I'm saying maybe later games are better but they make me mad because they brought the gakuen narrative to games and now everyone is falling over themselves trying to get on the bandwagon.

Eh, I can respect that. It pretty much made its own niche audience out of that shit after P3 and it's 2 other versions. It's not for everybody, and it shouldn't be as oversaturated as it is.

I'm more interested in Etrian Odyssey V tbh.

I thought the same thing when playing p1 to p4. I had a hard time even trying to actually get a good start on the games, but eventually the characters grow on you and the story pulls you in.

Yeah it would be alright if it was it's own series but no it had to be a disease that spread everywhere and if you watch anime/read manga you would already be sick of the gakuen setting.

You're getting warmer.

the game looks like the quintessential example of style over substance.

Still playing through P1, I won't say it's better until I beat it completely.

Persona 4 is the only good one, honestly.

Writing wise yes. Gameplay wise, no, it was dumbed down too hard from P1.

Came out last year already user.

3 is the good one and even then has some bad RNG.

Nope. 4 was the worst.

NO IGOR, NO BUY

4 was fucking awful too, but at least it wasn't as bad as 3 in terms of "you're playing too much of the game, go back to doing Community shit," dungeon design, and soundtrack.

This, even if Atlus ever felt like making a real Persona game again, we couldn't have voice acting unless they just do what they did with the P4 animu and recycle voice clips.

No, only good thing about P2 is the writing.

I see neither of you have played the game.

Social Links and side stuff is the only reason 3 is good in the first place. If the game was all combat it would bore me to tears.

P5 you mean? Admittedly not, after how bad 3 and 4 were I haven't had the heart to try it. Maybe it's good, but I sincerely doubt it.

That's exactly my point. The game is fucking terrible.

You can blame gnostic god for that one.

Agree that P2 has some of the best writing but the gameplay has not aged well.
People hate P3/P4 for different reasons, personally I enjoy their gameplay. My ideal game would be P2 plot with DDS/Nocturne gameplay, but I'm a Press Turn junkie.

Never played Persona before but I want to look into Persona 3 and 4 (although I did play a little bit of Soul Hackers). I have a few questions. First, is the dungeon crawling reminiscent of something like Diablo and other older CRPGs and is the combat fun? I also notice that going into the outside world and making friends is one of the main game mechanics. Is there any way to open up new opportunities or subplots doing this and is there any places that is not a school or some regular-ass restaurant or mall? I don't want to be stuck in some high school melodrama and eat shitty fast food with the waifu, I want to actually do shit. I am in the mood for a more modern-day RPG game, and I think the closest comparison I can give to the last examples to another game would be something like Vampire: Bloodlines.

It's literally nothing but bare bones dungeon crawling with rock/paper/scissors combat interspersed with "My first Visual Novel" bits that only exist to make an easy game even easier. At least the music is catchy.

P2

Also, P2 ET had an actual Serial Killer in it, a proper slasher villian, opposed to every other Persona game.

P5 was shit upon shit with the recycled forumula of the P3-P4 games, there is no sense of danger, loss or the like, and in the end it amounts to power of friendship saving the day, and not believable growth, loss and sacrifice paving the way for victory, goals, and ideals etc… yeah, you could talk to demons again, but what of contracts, these creatures relating to grinding, interaction with Other NPCs, the Rumourmongering system, who lives or dies by your power, things like that? I never liked Hanya, but he had a good image and didn't really deserve death even if he was part of an enablers desire to unravel anything by memeing everyone to death, and other shit.

Also, fortune telling brown tranny.

Also, say Hastur more than once in a name entry ingame.

Also, decent Hitler Censorship in PSP remake, they gave him fucking shades