ARMA thread

64-bit ARMA III got added to the main branch a few days ago. Let's talk about ARMA. What are the best mods? What the hell is Orange? Who is best raifuru?

clunky, poorly-optimized meme game for autists

Any point to patrol missions in East Winds campaign?

I still get the 3fps bug.

preordered game 3 million years ago and couldn't play it because my pc was dogshit
is there any dlc's or i can just hop in and play?

u can hop in and play on anything except the new terrain

I hear it's fun but honestly I haven't gotten around to trying it. How is it?

huh
so it's battlefield now
i'll pass

why are u just passin it now? its been havin dlc since arma2

SP is boring and most people don't bother finishing it.
MP depends on what you and playing and who you are playing with. King of the hill on public servers is alright but the best is organised clan Co-Op's with combined arms.

With a couple of mods like ACE and TFAR it turns into something you can't get in any other game, the catch is you have to be willing to learn all the systems.
If you have done high level raiding you will be fine but if not you might end up stuck in a casual clan which is where you belong if you won't put in effort.

RHS, ACE, ACRE, JSRS, CUP. Period.
A colour or a fruit, depending on context.
I am inclined to say AK-tan, but to be honest FAL-senpai and G3-san are stunning as well.

Agreed, but since when is Holla Forums devoid of autists?

You can find OP gear, like thermals, and thermals, or thermals. Honestly, just find a thermal scope and the game will feel like cheating.

It can be fun, but only if played correctly. It's very much a sandbox, and you have to experiment a lot with it to find the stuff you really like to do. If it is the autistic milsim that is attracting you, I would suggest finding a clan or group to play with and keeping your nose out of any drama that may occur.
Performance varies and depends too many factors to accurately say if it is mediocre at best or absolutely garbage at worst. It depends on server population, server load, the scripts used in the mission, on your PC on your setting on the global server setting and even on your connection.
SP can be fun, contrary to what says. Most people don't bother with it, but the campaings aren't all there is. ArmA has a very detailed mission editor, and you can make almost anything you want. Only downsides are that A: you will want to add randomization to your mission if you have to play it yourself or you will know where all the enemies are in advance, and B: learning how to do even rather simple things is rather difficult, and with extremely unreliable AI (which reacts differently every time you play) playtesting is a bitch.
The first problem can be countered however by playing one of the many missions on the steam workshop or armaholic (the latter of the two is preferrable due to a lower amount of trash to sort through).
The steam mod browser has been rendered defunct by the amount of kiddies who make a shitty 5 minute "go here, kill easy AI, yay you win!" missions and uplaod them to the workshop, tagging them as a mod, even though it is a mission, hoping their mission will get more exposure that way.
Pirate it for the singleplayer, play through the campaing, and imagine what it would be like if every mission you play was planned ahead by a human being, your opponents were human beings and the guy infront of you who just died in the opening seconds of the firefight you are now winning was your best buddy who you just talked to over VOIP or TS about some mundane topic, like the amount of cashgrabby jewery the devs put into the game.
Do you like that thought? Play MP and see if you like it.

Mods are where all the future potential is with this game, unless you see them putting all their energy into the pro / enterprise / government simulator market. They just need to implement a "learning curve" to mod making that is worthy of the game itself.

If they were smart, they'ld ditch single-player and the whole notion of "story" which is become cancer anyway and they'ld go full-in with providing interactive wallpaper for streamers to put behind their face broadcasting. Basically, they need to turn Arma into a true platform instead of a traditional game.

Just look at this new iteration of the Battle Royale mod that is going stand-alone. Between that and the RP community, they're seriously leaving money on the table by not encouraging more of that. Their job needs to be fixing their tech and make it accessible to modders and gaming communities, with licensing agreements… The world doesn't need another AAA Arma title with single player / multiplayer / mod tools etc.

EDIT: I just realized that the upcoming Battlegrounds which is the "new iteration" of Arma BR is actually built on the Unreal engine and thus has nothing to do with Arma 3.

No wonder it looks so much better and plays so much smoother. I'm surprised by the size of the map though. I never thought Unreal was capable of making a sandbox game.

BR is a neat thing for inbetween, but it suffered from being made in ArmA.
And this is where I have to agree with . BR would never have come into existence if ArmA wouldn't allow for anything like that to be made with it's editor. If Bohemia wasn't so buttmad about using their old-ass engine from OPF to this day, and actually managed to make something new, more reliable and more stable with the same degree of customiseability I am sure they could sell it off for millions to any studio. ArmA III looks amazing and shows how far you can push graphics on a fuckhuge scale (despite mid range ground textures still being shit after all these years), and in terms of technological prowess and simulation depth, well I don't think I need to link to "terminal ballistics" again.
The only thing, and I do mean the only thing that is wrong with ArmA is the fucking performance, and the way the devs treat their engine. I guess we live in a time where the only major Czech studio will cause their own downfall with their own arrogance, a fitting end for any Greek drama, and for any company that recently released a game set on a Greek island with a DLC that is called Zeus, and an expansion called 3den.

The government is already using Outerra for that, so ARMA’s dead to them. Fucking hell, I want a leak of that Outerra build.

Governments don't buy simulation software on it's own, they get multi year contracts. The vast majority will still be under BI contract so won't switch to Outerra yet and even when their contracts are up Outerra isn't the best for everything.

I actually think that the next big thing in military training software will be VR with custom HIDs. Video related is for training helicopter door gunners and saves a fortune compared to putting flight hours on a chopper and burning through tens of thousands of rounds.
also look at the publish date, they were into VR before it was cool

How hard is it to make a new faction using prexisting assets?

Wait it's been 32-bit this entire time? The fuck?

Yep, their logic was that they wanted to wait until 64-bit CPU's and OS's were common because apparently that hasn't been the case for a decade.

honest and true dubs. you literally said nothing wrong. BI need to continue making a basic, modern military tactical sandbox but trim it down to the basics, fuck off with DLC releases and instead create a cash machine by acting as a vendor to indie developers, large studios, govts, institutions, and - just hear me out - the roleplaying modders and streamers.

i could see that shit evolving into some kind of weird ass live community theater where the best ones are more like puppeteers than gamers. That's a future for storytelling in games, not "interactive movies". BI would be getting a cut from streamers and youtubers by licensing the tech for them to create their own theater productions with stock assets across whatever genre you could imagine, but also making it easy for them and their fans to import their own and maintain ownership of an IP the gamers themselves create.

they have to fix the tech first though.

Even IF you end up in a decent group who have competent mission makers there's no getting around the fact it's a piece of shit that runs horribly.

The current game is based on an engine from the late nineties.

This seems like a good place to ask, several people seem to be pretty involved. I nabbed ARMA 3 off the Humble Bundle sale; where do I start? I see a lot of talk of mods and such and some saying the single player is trash. Is there a tutorial series to watch or documentation to read before I go in? Does the single player act as the tutorial? I just don't want to join a group online as a complete and total newbie who doesn't even know the controls.

Also, are there, for lack of a better word, PvE missions? Co-op player team vs. AI enemies? That was the impression I got from other videos but I'm also seeing discussion here of PvP stuff.

Governments have no interest in Arma, what they might buy instead is VBS which is made by a completely seperate company from BIS.

Also thanks for reminding me trying to script shit for tanks in arma requires you knowing actual czech because many of the commands you need still haven't been translated to english.

No such thing exists. If you're just getting started with bone stock arma just have a look at the keybindings and set them to what you're comfortable with. You will need to manually edit config files because of at least one major bug in setting keybinds that won't clear "go faster" from "E".

No, the single player is utter garbage and teaches you nothing of any value in a multiplayer setting. You will at most drive a truck or car for a short distance but otherwise you won't have any sort of interaction with any of the game's vehicles and online communities (which you will have to join in order for the game not to be entirely fucking cancerous) always run their own set of mods anyway.
Even the tutorial missions have more content than the single player campaign, all the campaign will do is frustrate the shit out of you as you encounter just how broken it can be.

If anything, create a mission with no AI and just spawn some vehicles if you want to familiarize yourself with their different controls and weapons.

The only worthwhile communities are those that do what can best be described as "raids". The downside is you will never ever see 60fps in such a mission because of the above mentioned dogshit engine.

Find a community, ask what mods they use, install those and ask them how to use the mods. You will find no better guide for getting started. There's never any guarantee that a given community won't be full of spergy losers running garbage mods in missions with broken scripts.

I will warn you though that you're much better off not even touching this heap of shit to begin with.

Yes, it also has stock training missions.

King of the hill is you best option, there are a shitload of public servers.

Very common in clans, less so in public severs. That said there is a gamemode some servers run where it's team based PvE with AI controlling sectors you need to take.

Will playing with pubbies in this game satisfy my milsim autistic lust?

I remember in ARMA2 I joined this group that were a ton of fun to play with. It had all the pros of a clan; organized command structure, tons of user created missions and maps, squad leaders who weren't retarded and actually used formations, except they didn't have any of the faggotry of a clan, and they were cool with anybody taking any role as long as you knew what you were doing. No gay initiation rituals either, just sign up, install the right mods, and read the rules. Does this game have any communities like that?

No

The server browser might as well be called the cancer finder.

Any good co-op stuff for Arma 2?

one thing I really like about Arma that all these Battle Royale / DayZ clones try to avoid is the clunkiness of the aiming, movement and inventory management. When you would get flanked in Arma or had more than one target to worry about, you couldn't just confidently snap to each of their heads while bunny hopping around.

one thing i like about arma is the vehicle physics

I hate you, only helicopters are actually good.

United Operations?

That place was amazing before DayZ came out, and the moderators are too meek to deny noobs from playing. That and their autistic "constitution" prevented them from doing what needed to be done.

This kills the Arma community. I hate what the newfaggots have wrought.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????>>12176296

Wasteland Stratis is my personal favorite. Altis is too damn big, Stratis is still big but not too ridiculous. I just wish my computer wouldn't lag on servers that have tons of vehicles spawned. Doesn't help my GPU is a shitty GTX550 ti, I'm surprised I can even run the damn game.

So why are you complaining about lag when your also complaining about barely being able to run the game? Game is fine, but it's annoying that BI jewed people out of a game with full content

What? If you mean the Apex expansion, it's pretty much optional, and there's gigabytes of free fan-made maps and mods (of excellent quality) available. Also all updates to gameplay mechanics / engine are free, only new optional content has a price (like weapons or vehicles, that can still be present in your scenario, just not used if you don't own the DLC).

6/10

Wtf is the point of even playing a game then if you're not gonna actually play it?

I wish I could start my PC with a pull cord.

な… なに?

Single player is pretty fun at first when you're still learning but starts sucking after a while. Playing with AI is just not worth it unless all of your teammates are human players and the enemy side is AI. Don't even try playing with AI teammates. Try the AI command system once and you'll understand why. Public servers are shit-tier. Stay the fuck away from them. Arma 3 public servers could have been fun as fuck but it's all ruined by the dev's decision to let players play in 3rd person. Naturally everyone who plays public servers is a fucking pleb who prefers playing in 3rd person so you'll only find 3rd person servers. The ones that do have forced 1st person usually have like 3 players on them. You HAVE to join a milsim clan if you want to play the game the way it's advertised. Either you love it or hate it. Being autistic helps. Co-Op against AI usually means badass large scale and long lasting battles. Clan PvP usually means smaller and shorter battles but enemies that use real life tactics against you. Both are equally fun IMO. Playing Arma 3 with an organized group of people is a 9/10 experience IMO. Would be 10/10 if it wasn't for the performance issues and the fucking cocksucking bugs and glitches. Check out Dslyecxi on Youtube. His videos are the perfect example of what Arma 3 is like when it's played right. If you don't want to deal with signing up with a clan and having to play with them regularly there are always small somewhat organized steam groups that let you play with them. Obviously this means smaller games but it can still be really fun fucking up undergeared taliban AI with your 7 tacticool navy seal buddies. Mods bring something new to the table every time you play.

Sorry for the unsegmented text. I got a little carried away.

I tried to join a private clan once but I suppose my resume wasn't up to snuff. I can only say "I like playing with teams, having fun, I'm over 18 and I'm not obnoxious" so many ways.

I like Escape from Tanoa/Atlis/[map] missions and the Battle Royale game mode. The former plays like Ghost Recon Wildlands without the easy AAA mechanics/dykes and the latter is self-explanatory.

It runs like complete ass on low settings though.

Fuck, I thought that I was the only one.

Took your advice. Found a thermal scope in second scouting mission in Adapt. It's super nifty, particularly at night with a suppressor (which I found at the same place). Starting Supply Convoy now. Hopefully I find a rifle capable of using the scope's accuracy soon, because even hundred meter shots are unreliable with this rifle.

Well one thing I meant to ask if is anyone knows the cheapest GPU that I could upgrade to to minimize framerate drop on really busy maps. I don't need to be on max graphics settings or anything. I have an i7-4770k so my CPU is fine… maybe a GTX 1050?

delightful.

New details on this from press release today

Vehicles, clothing and gear indicates to me the naval forces speculation is the right one. There are some physics limitations making larger ships unworkable, so that would fit as the engine improvement.

Heres an official vid that condenses plenty of shit.

more boats

Probably. Comments for that video say the motion capture surprise for Jets is a carrier takeoff.

4 years later and laser-guided and guided artillery shells still don't work. Thanks Bohemia.

You better don't. Leave, or you will realize the amount of potential that was wasted here.
Not really. You can take a look at the Dyslexi arma guides, which explain some very fundamental rules about how infantry behaves. A lot of stuff you learn in ArmA is applicable to real life and vice versa. For example: spacing. After the second world war, soldiers were taught to keep a distance from one another, because the wider spread of grenades and grenade launchers or explosive ordnance of some other kind. If a grenade lands on your feet and the guy "next to you" is within three feet, he will probably die too, which means two men down instead of just one if that fucking guy had just kept his god damned distance.
No. There is a tutorial however, which teaches you the absolute basics. It's called bootcamp, and is pretty mediocre.
We all were once. Just make sure the people you play with know. It's better to ask "Which key was for grenades again?" than to accidentally drop one at the feet of your squadleader and end the mission before it even started.
Yes. Lots of them. The friendly AI is shit though.
That's 99% of the games out there.
PvP exists, but since you either have to lower the gameplay down to squad versus squad and not battalion versus AI battalion.

No. But there is one secret I would like to share with you: The Zeus Community Servers are fucking great pubbie and get about as close to real milsim as pubbies can get. Just join as a rifleman and do as you are told.

Actually, you can. The button on your PC to start it is just a method of closing a circuit for a short period of time (depending on how long you press it). If the "cord" had a contact

WEW!

this guy fucks

What's the best mod for making the AI not use aimbots?

I just saw a great opportunity to take out an enemy checkpoint from a road on the other side of the ocean with a sniper rifle I had looted earlier. I shot 4 guys in quick succession then instantly got located and one shot killed by a guy using an infantry rifle with heavy foliage between us. This should have been a fun clever moment but was just a pain in the ass.

i want him to fuck me in the ass