DRIVER

Why'd they stop making this?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160131073626/http://www.please
web.archive.org/web/20170319085317/http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Driver: San Francisco
archive.is/gCPI3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ubisoft hasn't figured out how to make it about nigger faggot trannies yet

You fit in now. Happy?

Driv3r.

San Francisco was some nice closure to the series, just let it die.

No. We have to have a new rehashed game so the underaged pricks on this board can taint and ruin it.

did you get banned for posting about "weebshit" in every thread and change tactics?

Fuck off animal

Except he's not kidding. Watch Cucks was originally meant to be part of the Driver franchise but changed it after San Francisco tanked in sales, not to mention DRIV3R tarnished the series name already

I'm really surprised that they didn't try to dial it back into some sort hybrid of the movie drive and the Burnout series.

That's all anyone really wants.

Why would you want that?

When was the last time you played a car game with a good narrative? GTAV was meh.

Damn, really? I thought Driver San Francisco was actually fairly decent for what it was, and dare I say it, it was fun. Now I'm worried how they might try to reinvent the series, if they even bother bringing it back with the latest game got fucked in sales.

because of this

Because playing how long can you last again apparently insane merciless cops who ram into you so hard they hilariously launch themselves and each other spinning into the next dimension with no regard for anyone else's safety unfortunately doesn't carry a franchise.

I guess the interest in a good car movies isn't what it used to be, all I seems to be is bromance 2Fags2Fursuits shit mostly now.

anybody have the image of jeremy clarkson dressed as a hick trucker?

Because DRIV3R a shit.

Does anyone have funny Survival replays for the original to share?

Because the director and producer (Martin Edmondson) has retired. He never made a single bad game in his life, arguably the best video game director to ever exist. Driv3r was just unfinished, not bad.

Another reason is, there's no market for driving games with difficult passages and tight time limit. These Driver games pushed you to your absolute limit. They're fair and have a sky high skill ceiling, but highly unpredictable, unlike soulshit. They require twitch skills, careful route planning, and understanding of how your car handles.

Last reason is, numales didn't grow up with 70's masculine and adrenaline fueled cop drama films where stuntmen speed around a densely packed city in stone age coupes converted from sedans that handle like utility vehicles. They grew up with Initial D, 2fast2furious, boring European cars repetitively prancing around racetracks for 3 hours, and Gosling chick flicks. There's no appreciation for these kinds of games, and probably never was. They have no place in our entertainment industry.

The cops AI is actually very good here, they try to compensate the poor car handling, avoid the traffic, and spin your car out. It's far better than all the GTA games combined, even IV. Hell, has there ever been a game with good cop car AI other than the Driver series?

They ran out of money and were not allowed to bloat the budget. The development budget was only $15-20 million or so, and for such a low budget game it was sophisticated. Compare that to GTA. It had great suspension physics, intricate deformation model, great city design, and some of the best video game cutscenes I've ever seen.

I dislike the over the top gameplay of Driver San Francisco, although it's objectively a great game. It missed the point of Driver, which is tight and realistic getaway. Also, Drive is a horrible flick. It failed as an action movie and an art film. The plot is really bad, it's something you would expect from modern Steven Seagal straight to video revenge flick.

The real reason Driver got fucked is because it started trying to be GTA instead of Driver. Of course it was already pretty fucked the moment they let you jack cars in Driver 2.

Except it didn't. It didn't do blockbuster numbers, but it exceeded Ubisoft's expectations.

web.archive.org/web/20160131073626/http://www.please use archive.is/articles/2011-11-08-driver-san-francisco-sales-were-better-than-planned

web.archive.org/web/20170319085317/http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Driver: San Francisco

Sure it didn't make AssCreed numbers, but the game definitely had a lower dev and marketing budget so 2 mil isn't bad.

This explains it, they fucked up big time.

Are you fucking kidding me? It kills the link even if it's archved? Retarded.

Here, I'll use that archiver instead. archive.is/gCPI3

Driver 2 was a great game released on an immensely underpowered console and with no other port. What a shitty business decision.

Half the challenge in Driver 1 came from the fact you only had one car per mission, sometimes spanning multiple missions, and if you wrecked it you were fucked. Driver 2 ruined that aspect.

You rarely have time to switch cars though. If there's one game that ruined that aspect, that would be Driver San Francisco, although shifting into a civilian car going to an opposite direction of your enemy and crashing it head to head is extremely fun.

I can't believe that watchdogs is from the driver franchise.

Nigga, I remember the complaints back in 2000. Giving Tanner the ability to walk around on foot and steal cars was one of the bigger reasons why Driver 2 got stigmatized as being Inferior To The Originalâ„¢.

Because it stopped selling. There's only so many games based on 70's Hollywood chases with custom suspension stunt cars you can make before people get bored.

Well, it used the Driver SF engine. I expected it to be a good game like Driver back in 2014. The concept was good, the gameplay aspects are cool, but the execution is utterly garbage. Is there no quality control in Ubisoft?

I'm not that old, I was only 4 back then. Nowadays, I hear the contrary. It could be better if the game had reputation points that will be reduced every time you jack a car. It would work great if there was a car transaction system like in Driver SF.

Name 3.

How many times is Rockstar going to milk the same exact story of a low-life-scum with a heart of gold in the underbelly of the city trying to get himself out the claws of criminality-story?

It's like they watch too much of The Wire (which is the ultimate test of how much of a cuck-wigger you are).

When is my undercover-cop-free-roaming game coming out?

Long ass time since I saw Kyoran Kazoku Nikki

they tried that

It was horrible because they spent all the budget on recreating the shittiest traffic clogged city in america for "realism" (when the game referenced john wu and old kung fu films and gave you good cop points for literally 'just shooting them in the leg' ) but couldnt afford to make it spawn more than 10 cars that drove like bars of wet soap on a linoleum floor covered in bad dragon cumlube

He's right though.

When the publisher was nu-Ubisoft.

Name 3

they actually tried it several times
they all sucked because the devs seemed to manage to say fuck it on one part of the gameplay or the other

Sleeping Dogs was great.

Driver
Driver 2
Driv3r
:^)

driv3r is made up of 1990s edge movies

Driver 2 can be legitimately fun in some parts when you are not pulling your hair out, but the performance is just so low that it can deter enjoyment a lot.

I got Driver 2 from a daycare chaperone whose son died when I was about 7. We became great friends and she gave me the copy her son owned. I remember one day I thought about selling my copy but I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't, I thought it would be pretty asshole-ish to sell a dead man's game.

Get out child

Driver San Francisco 2, when?

There's a lot of audience for 'drive around drunk fucking shit up' games, not actually that much for games where you need to actually git gud at the driving, and racing games have that demographic about locked down.

Probably the same reason Crazy Taxi died out.

The stunts of Ronin are more similar to Stuntman. They empathize very close calls to fast chases.

Why do people chase each other user? Can't they just leave each other alone?

meant for

Driver is necessarily unfinished because:

Because that was the last good one.

The franchise was to cut and clean in comparison to the other open world driving games.

This. Driv3r was a mess and killed the ip.

Not exactly. SanFran went okay, and Watchdogs was Reflections' next project. The first trailer was all Reflections, and it did show promise at that point.
If was after that when Ubi noticed the hype and took WD away from Reflections, making it a full on Ubisoft Montreal project - what came out was just another Ubishitshow.

It became Watch_Dogs, user.

I thought True Grime was the one who became watch_dogs

True Crime became Sleeping Dogs

You're expecting FULLY emergent situations and level design from a 90's game?

There's no rules for this kind of thing, it's just done to make the stunts feel more authentic and the directing and filming to be easier.

Gee, maybe that's just to hard to program.

They aren't rubberband, they're just faster than your car. Those are Dodge Monacos equipped with the powerful 440, yours just a puny pony car with 350 engine at best, but it handles better. Unless you're driving the Super Fly, you're slower than them.

Gee, maybe you can't create a 30 mile spawn radius on a 90's hardware.

Maybe the team wasn't able to create a competitive AI without making them glued to their track?

In that case, every video game in history is unfinished.

I'm not expecting it for anything. But it could have been approximated only using the traffic: at speed they look at traffic and keeping contact with you, when you're slowing in a turn they try to crash you.

you can approximate it with a backup timer

What I wanted was for them to stop after one strong hit. You'd need to anticipate its moves and wait for one opportunity instead of grinding it down.

the source material is the movie, not life

No, user. I'd say good.

Those are cops patrolling the vicinity in Driver joining the chase, not necessarily backups, even though they spawn more at higher felony level. And yes, a backup timer would be hard to implement without ruining the mission structure. I think it's still the better spawning system among many sandbox driving games.

Yes, I know exactly what you wanted. And yes, the technology wasn't really there yet. An unleashed enemy AI would be as incompetent as the cops AI at driving, making it too easy of a prey. They were aiming at something competitive.

Same shit. You want 1:1 accurate representation, 100% perfection. Well, it's impossible for all games or human creations for that matter to be perfect. It's always either technological limitation, something they missed, or something they aren't skillful enough for. There's always room for improvements, not 100% fulfilling it's full potential and responsibility doesn't mean the game is unfinished.

For hard missions, yes.

No I mean it only takes one hit on a leashed to win. Chase the Gunman could have been good if it took one good hit.

Wow, fascinating vid. Like GamerGate 0.5