Games like FEAR

I am having the worst time in my life trying to find an FPS that doesn't feel like shit. Please help me

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/ck8fep09l44j3rr/Infinite Fear r1.zip?dl=0
sof1.org/sofdownload.php
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/soldier-of-fortune---community-edition-v61/
youtu.be/9wCglVnZuMI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Black Ops
Modern Warfare 3
Goddamn
Them boys are SODMG
Came out the bushes
With the automatic
Soulja Boy for life or go plank in traffic bitch

There's a lot of things that can be shit in other people's eye user, why don't you list the things you want to be done well in an FPS vidya to see what game that might be the choice for you?
Is it:
If you make a sweeping generalization, then this is no better than going to a Gamestop and asking for a good FPS game

Good gunplay, pacing, doesn't feel monotonous and has alright AI

thats a new word.

The closest i can get you is the first Crysis
Though i probably bet you already played that, since it gets to shit in the second half

resistance 3 and killzone mercenary

Underage detected

I dunno but I felt The Darkness 2 was very FEARish

the first one is a far better game. Don't play the darkness 2, it is legitimately shit.

Resistance 3 was a shittier version of Half-Life 2 so the PS3 could support 3D.

Rage, people gave it a lot of shit but the combat is pretty good

It was a fun coop game with no regeneration health

Did you play the non canon expansions of Fear? Other than that i haven't played a FPS in years so IDK.

You could always go play Time Shift. Pretty much the same game with some expanded mecahnics

FPS is not my genre but FEAR 1 was a massive pile of fun. That said, these are the other FPS that kept me entertained or had something worthwhile to them:

The Darkness 1
Resistance 2
Black
Red Faction 1

Surely you haven't beaten all of those.

i recently started playing FEAR2 because i got it for either free or cheap, i knew it was a downgrade but like holy shit how did they remove all the weight and speed from the game. 2 isn't awful but playing it just makes me wanna replay the first one

The changes between FEAR and FEAR2 were much like the changes between Crysis and Crysis 2. I don't understand it. How can a designer think making a weapon LESS enjoyable to shoot will make a first person shooter better?

Halo CE, both have a shotgun that isn't shit

i will give credit that FEAR2 has pretty nice gore when it comes to stuff like hitting guys with explosives

The Darkness was great even though it was kinda short. But you could prolong the game by look for hidden collectibles. The second one was alright.

well in situations like these i tend to look up if there's an active modding community for the game, or if there's a standalone that emulates the look and feel of said game.

You should try Prey user its a mix of alien, Turok, and has paranormal spiritual shit.Prey for pc 2006, not Bethesda's Prey, what should have been the parkour hardcore bounty hunter sequel of the 1st prey. It pisses me off just thinking about it.

Has doom like enemies too

well it does run on the engine that ran doom 3

It's around $6 on Gog, or you could torrent it. Blood was Doom 3 before Doom 3 was even conceived.

That looks fucking amazing.

I'm not a fan of shooters of that era. I don't think I ever unironically enjoyed a pre-Quake3 shooter before.

i love my speedy internet

You're a faggot, honestly.
Play Doom on GZDoom with full mouseaim and enjoy. It's fucking intense on Ultra-Violence.

Eh, I like complex movement

i wish FEAR had better guns, or at least more guns.

Why don't games have more guns?

It sucked tbh. Too much puzzle and gimmick, not enough shooting.

more guns = good guns
Doom and Quake nailed weapons, they aren't overly complex and redundant and everything has a place and time.
Do I shoot SMG with fast bullets coming out of the gun hole or do I shoot faster SMG?
Or, do I instead choose a rocket launcher for groups of tough enemies, plasma rifle or chain gun for trash cleanup or BFG for the toughest motherfuckers?

Nigger, F.E.A.R.'s movement is garbage (as is the rest of the game). The fuck are you talking about with complex movement?

SMOD for Half-Life 2, it isn't perfect but the closest games I can think of outside of it are Max Payne and Crysis but those are pushing it.

beats this

last time I checked SMOD was a tasteless glob of OP weaponry

Agreed, plus most guns and weapons are not very satisfyingi to use and it's ridiculously short (played it for the first time earlier this year; finished it in under 6 hours while exploring every nook and crany and admiring the sights. If I played a second time I think I could finish it in about 4 hours).

Most of the puzzles are babby-tier easy and only exist to extend a bit the length of an extremely short game

Funny enough, even the shit in that video is better than F.E.A.R.'s shitty ass molasses movement. Even without things like bunny hopping I still have more options in Doom than I do in F.E.A.R. (you will never be able to go fast). I still have no idea why you would flaunt movement in that game. Not even the most diehard of F.E.A.R. fanboys would try and sell it on that shit. Probably because you are a retarded niglet.

riveting gameplay

Looks pretty fun to me.

You don't play doom for the original levels you dumb cunt, get some fucking level packs and USE MOUSE AIM.

lmao
doom is fun but pretending it has depth is hilarious

you guys are hipsters, I'm pretty convinced that you just like it because it's old

No, I like it because it's fun, it's fast and enjoyable.

Here's your (you)

Checked, and I also know this feel.

Didn't say it did, just said that touting F.E.A.R.'s garbage movement is laughable. Of course, I will say that it has more depth than an underage like you would give it credit for (I doubt you have ever beaten Plutonia).

Lol your tears are delicious, niglet.

this isn't 4chan, you don't have to shitpost to not fall off the board in 30 minutes

it's an primitive ass game with graphics and gameplay that aged like milk. It feels stiff and even if you crank up the difficulty, it's still stiff and dead.

It's fucking boring.

*a primitive

games don't age, if a game was good then it is good now your standards have just changed. i played doom for the first time in 2013 and it was still a blast to learn how to play. i don't agree with stiff and dead, you feel very in control and there are a hundred hand placed enemies in a map on the second highest difficulty on vanilla mapsets, and they even fucking respawn at the highest, how is that dead? in fear there are 4 enemies in nearly every combat situation, 7 max, and its padded out with interactive cutscenes

and this said you would probably really enjoy at least doom 3/quake 4, they aren't as bad as people say but are absolutely nothing like the earlier games in the series which you seem like you would really enjoy for whatever reason

Interestingly enough I hated Doom 3, and only liked Quake 4 aesthetically.

this might seem irrelevant but i think you would probably enjoy third person games more. i recall feeling similarly to how i do with fear while played grand theft auto 4, lost planet, batman arkham asylum, and dork souls if it makes sense. try condemned as well, it was made by a good bit of the same development team, and if you havent team fortress 2

Can't stomach third person vidya. It just doesn't really cut it for me. The only one I actually fondly remember is American McGee's Alice.

Lol FEAR is a garbage game. I have no idea why it's held in such high regard here. It's the same shit as CoD and Battlefield campaigns: slow as hell arcade shooters that seem to think they're tactical, but fail at both arcade and tactical elements. If you want to play a slow as shit, easy mode arcade shooter that railroads you with shitty cutscenes like FEAR, look no further than CoD or Battlefield. The tradeoff will be that you have to switch bullet time gayness with regenerating health.

Project Brutality

i'm inclined to disagree, as mechanics and methods to make games improve, older games can become less enjoyable to play because they might still hold antiquated mechanics like shitty camera control or what not

if you have the patience, intelligence, discipline, courage

but the game is exactly the same as it was when it was released, therefore i think what i said immediately afterwards is what you describe, 'your standards have just changed'. if people could enjoy it when it was new, then people could enjoy it even later if they played it for what it is instead of what it isn't

u wot

I second this because that first half was tasty as fuck.

Why didn't my team go north before crossing the road? They would have survived.

I made a mod for FEAR some time ago that changes the gameplay dramatically towards being a tough arcade shooter.

I haven't released it though. Would anyone here be interested in playing it? If so I'd be happy to go digging for it and provide a link.

yes

Most of the gameplay mods give even retarded bandits perfect aim with busted AK-74s in pitch darkness, turn grenades into tacnukes that are pitched from halfway across the map with pinpoint accuracy, and turn enemies into bullet sponges who don't drop ammo. So you have to spend a shitload of time tweaking ltx files until the game becomes playable again. I have a love/hate relationship with all things STALKER.
Fun but kinda easy. Shame about what happened with FC4.
Hilariously fun and completely retarded but the gameplay feels like glassy shit.
.WAD is a bottomless abyss from which there is no escape.

Sounds like fun.

It's kinda sad that the AI won't really support the kind of gameplay you're talking about. I should be able to grab 5+ full mags off of a soldier and dig through a bandit's pockets to find two half loaded Makarov magazines, and they should fight as such. Bandits should fire single shots and rely on ambushes and cheap tactics, while Ukranian soldiers should use their equipment and supply advantage to fuck your shit up with a storm of bullets and grenades, but unfortunately the STALKER we have is the STALKER we have. And that's the STALKER where a guy fires 5 full magazines at you and dies with 4 bullets and a slice of bread in his pocket.

Kill yourself underage faggot. Each doom got better and better, and Doom 3 is a fucking masterpiece. You're a dumb faggot.

Damn I need to pirate this, and play it. Been putting it off for so long.

dropbox.com/s/ck8fep09l44j3rr/Infinite Fear r1.zip?dl=0

If there's a problem with this link please let me know of an alternate host.

Also, ebin reaction pictures : )

That shit was around waaaaaaaaaaay before Reddit existed. It would be like trying to claim imageboards invented using > for quotes.

Speaking of Soldier of Fortune, the first game is apparently free and has community patches/content.

Latest version is 6.2 and is downloaded from a forum that requires registration:
sof1.org/sofdownload.php

Version 6.1 is on The ISO Zone however:
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/soldier-of-fortune---community-edition-v61/

How long has this been a thing? I still have my CD but lost the serial, so I've been wanting to play this for some time. This was literally babby's first FPS in my case.

There should be more games with a dedicated "do a cool trick with your weapon" button.

I don't know, I just found out about it recently. Change log suggests a few years maybe?

If someone would like to upload a video demonstrating some fast paced action in my mod that would make my day. My toaster isn't possibly up to the job and I want to demonstrate it to others.

If anyone is willing to go the extra mile and record an entire playthrough and upload it to YouTube I would be grateful enough to reward you with a game of your choice. Probably over Steam or GoG. The budget depends on how manly you played. Melee only is possible for at least most of the game.

Shit, maybe that isn't a free version of the game, just simply the community updates. My bad.

It's the full game. I'm playing it now.

do you know the name of the song in that webm?

What he said. Playing it now, and it's a lot easier than I remember it being. Probably because I was a tyke. Back then I used to think that the intestines you shoot out were their penis. STOP SCREAMING

Daft Punk - Something About Us

I downloaded 6.2 and ran the installer, but no game ended up on my system? What the hell went wrong?

I chose 6.1 from theisozone. Maybe the one you chose was an update. How large was it?

thank you very much friend

497MB. Perhaps this is just all the maps and shit and The ISO Zone version actually includes the game install at the same time?

No, the ISOZone version is the same size. You just need to find the install.

Redownloading the 6.2 installer just in case and will run again. I looked for the executable and it was nowhere to be found, and the shortcut it made automatically couldn't find it either. It was in the list of Windows programs but when I clicked uninstall it said it was already uninstalled.

Fucked around with the mod, wasn't to my taste.

-The movespeed is way too high, and as a long-time FEAR vet, it essentially takes all muscle memory one has with the series and throws it out the window. Navigating levels and even something as simple as climbing on boxes feels super awkward and uncontrollable.
-Removal of the leaning animation is a downgrade that makes the game feel more dated.
-The nerfed slow-motion feels like shit, and might as well not even be there.
-Laser-accurate weapons with no recoil takes a game with pretty bad gunplay and just makes it worse. The bad sound effects and animations by default are one thing, but add laser-accuracy with no recoil and it really does feel like you're shooting airshit instead of a real firearm.
-HP nerf wasn't necessary, incoming damage was fine as-is on Extreme with vanilla.
-Massively reduced ammo capacity doesn't make sense.
+At least you tried

If you're still having troubles I would suggest downloading 6.1 instead. Laziness was more rewarding in this case. SoF.exe is what you're looking for by the way.

play my mod fgt

If I get 6.2 working properly I can host that file somewhere if you want, so you don't have to sign up to their shit like I did.

link it then you fucking gook

look up the thread and follow the reply chain. To save you time .

OK now shit is getting weird. I was also downloading 6.1 and The ISO Zone had a fucking pop up that made a ding sound and was one of those scammy "update your software now" shits. I don't recall this happening in the past when using the site but whatever, I closed the window and moved along. 10 mins later my screen flashes, Windows Aero dies, and the minimize/close buttons on my browser transform into those larger high-DPI versions (that are ugly as fuck).

Oh and I forgot to mention that conhost.exe was running in the background for no reason, and the path it was running from looked like the normal System32 path except the line started with "/??/" in front of the fucking C:/ path. God damn it I need to purge my PC now don't I?

I'm disappointed that you didn't enjoy it, but I appreciate you giving it a try. Here's my motivation/reasoning.

That sounds like an infection. I assume from what you said that it isn't from the download. You really ought to use an ad blocker and noscript.

Thanks user.

I'm using uBlock Origin but NoScript is too much of a pain in the ass for me. Kills to many things I want and I can't be bothered to figure out how to whitelist shit constantly.

Eh, you just keep it on and make an exception for sites that don't work right otherwise that you run across. Good luck with your potential spyware problem.

That's how I thought it would be. Didn't actually run it, I only had to read the included readme.txt to figure I wouldn't like it. Sorry modder user, but I commend you for the effort and documentation.

CSS SCI FI 3: Hardwired is like SMOD but with better levels. You can turn off the slow motion and other stuff if you want to.
youtu.be/9wCglVnZuMI

I'm pretty keen to play through the game again in fact I am currently. I can make a couple videos and chuck them up on YouTube for you if you like. Not sure if I'll be any good anymore but still could be fun.

You missed the first post by almost a day, faggot

Welp, I just downloaded Prey and played it for a few hours.

It's fucking dull, and the "puzzles" are really just an annoyance.

OP seems to have a terminal case of shit taste and retardation.

>>>/lgbt/

lol millenials

I JUST WANTED TO PLAY VIDYA WITH YOU

Crysis 1 with Tactical Expansion Mod, since it includes the Advanced AI mod too. Much better. Messing around with the editor with that mod on.

Crysis 1 is the shit. Too few games are capable of scratching that itch.

You're too pure for this world.

It's like I said in a previous post. The "puzzles" exist only to hinder progress and make the game seem a bit longer.
Depending on how many hours you played you might already be near the ending, might as well finish it.

I'm in this gay sequence where I get a flying pod to fuck around with. It's not really clear where to go, the shit's just confusing and frustrating.

I really have so little interest in shooter puzzles. It seems like a nearly impossible balancing act that nobody can do correctly. They always come across as amateur or misguided. Only time I've enjoyed them is when exploration and thus slower pacing is involved.

Like Metroid Prime pictured above.

That's because shooters and puzzle games are two opposites. Shooters are meant to challenge your reflexes and muscle memory - not your thinking brain.

You're basically sprinkling fish chips on chocolate ice cream.

If this is the first time you got the flying pod, you're about halfway through the game. Get used to it if you intend on playing until the end, you'll be using them a lot.

There are some shooters that do puzzles relatively well (Half-Life series and og Doom come to mind), but most of the time yeah, I could do without them.

Nigger what the fuck are you smoking?

Not even mods can make that buggy piece of slav trash good.

look at this faggot and his projection
sage for off-topic

I think the Darkness II is a lot of fun tbqhfam. I do wish the first game would come to PC. never ever

May I recommend a great game? It also has a sequel I have yet to play.

Thats definitely one of those "so bad its good" games, what is the sequel called?

there is prequel called NecrovisioN: Lost Company

What? Is that some sort of australian word?