So, I just read these interviews with Todd Howard about his old game, TES Adventures Redguard...

imperial-library.info/content/avault-redguard-behind-scenes
imperial-library.info/content/avault-redguard-interview-todd-howard

So, I just read these interviews with Todd Howard about his old game, TES Adventures Redguard. He really has profound knowledge in video game design, it was his principles that made Morrowind great. I love his concept of puzzle design and opinion on the interactivity of Ultima VII. He also took brilliant inspirations from completely unrelated games such as Star Control 2, his idea was without limit. Whatever happened to this man and his vision?

It prospered and blossomed as constantly improving game releases that literally remake the whole medium with each installation.

Todd's my bitch now and there's nothing you good goyim can do about it.

It has been stagnant since Oblivion, which was a result of Ken Rolston's idiocy anyway. Those talks about awareness puzzles, 3D puzzles, observation puzzles, stealth puzzles, why can't I find any of them in TES?

lol Redguard sucked shit and put Bethesda into deep financial trouble. What's funny to me is that people like to say that Todd is innocent in all this and that some unknown evil force is forcing him to make these changes to the Elder Scrolls. The reality is that these are exactly the kind of changes Todd would make, and his involvement in Redguard proves it. Todd doesn't want to make RPGs, he wants to make action-adventure games. Now tell me, is action-adventure not the vibe you get from games like Oblivion and Skyrim? Fallout 3 or Fallout 4? The removal of RPG elements like Attributes in Skyrim or Skills in Fallout 4? All these crappy changes over the years have the stink of Redguard on them. Don't be fooled, Hines isn't making Tood do this, this is exactly what Todd has wanted to do for 18+ years now.

Morrowind was a fluke and only happened because the gaming market was a little smarter back then and told Todd to fuck off with his bullshit. They wanted an Elder Scrolls game that was an RPG. Todd hasn't forgotten Redguard, though, only this time he's gotten smarter about. Instead of hamfistedly removing every RPG element and making a straight up action-adventure game, he's going for the boiled frog approach where he slowly turns the games into action-adventure over the years. "Oh, maybe we add action combat in this game, remove some skills here and there, then in the next one remove attributes…" Get ready, because one of the next 3 elder scrolls (assuming they make it until then) is going to be Redguard 2.0.

He probably has little to do with design anymore and is managing everyone and doesn't really get to work on video games.

I had never heard of this game before, will give it a try just like I did with Oblivion for the PSP.

This line is ironic:
pottery.jpeg

Todd needs to break off from Bethesda and make his own studio, that is the only way we can get gems like Morrowind and Redguard again. Wtih Todd Howard Studios.

Morrowind itself cut out features from Daggerfall, though not to the extent as later TES games did.

Say what you want about the underdeveloped combat and inventory system, but the world and level design are interesting.

If that's the case, then that's what he's supposed to be making.

Except Morrowind also reeked of Redguard so much. It was built upon the lore and level design of Redguard rather than Daggerfall.

He already turned Fallout into Terminator: Future Shock with NPC conversations. I'm okay with Redguard 2.0 or Future Shock 2.0, as long as it's not a half baked, half breed attempt at it, like the modern TES.

The combat is a huge turn off, it's basically 2 action buttons + directional keys. The hit indicator, lack of good damage animation and gore, is horrible. You'd better brace yourself. Other than that it's a decent game.

I hate this fucking faggot so much.

You can't deny that compared to Oblivion and Skyrim, Redguard is better.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, YOU'RE A FUCKING FAGGOT

b8 thread

Excuse me?

Because of Holla Forums i can't look at his face without think in the memes.

But Skyrim was one of the best real open worlds and games that i ever played, and was good to have third person option.

I think they need to abandom the name "The elder Scrolls" and change this just to Skyrim since is the game who matters for me, maybe Morrowind could be good but it's weird to play in third person and looks a little outdated, Oblivion had horrible jump physics and walking in third person, I played these games morrowind and oblivion after Skyrim and i stopped after 10 minutes. Because i hated the way who characters jump or walk, hated the third person or think that the characters faces of Oblivion are round and worse than the characters faces of Morrowind, but Skyrim was the best for me in 2011/2012 and still played after some years in the same way than Resident Evil 4.

But Morrowind and Oblivion could be awesome, with mods or for people who played this before Skyrim and have good feelings for morrowind or Oblivion, but I prefer Skyrim.

And the already created disonor 2 and fallout 4, and the elder scrolls online, they need to create a new Skyrim because is the most closest game to have real open world with more NPC who have personal histories, invade houses, talk with people, sidequests who are good like main story, you can talk with anyone, have houses, steal, be good, be bad, people remember you, Skyrim was the best open world

Wasted trips.

Is that meant to be a compliment?

PLASE DO TELL US WHAT OTHER OPEN WORLDS HAVE YOU PLAYED, THIS SHULD B GUD

Has there ever been an Elder Scrolls game with good combat?

Todd's pretty good, but both the people above and below him are fucking trash

His shitty grin brings my piss to a boil every time

GTA V, the NPC's on the street aren't part of the history, they are on some script and only have one word, you can't go directly for the end of the history, the world is not really open, you can't go enter in houses who aren't part of the script, I really don't like GTA V but this game have so much marketing, it's like buy Iphone even being worse than Samsung Galaxy but Iphone have more marketing to people show for others.

This Horizon Game of the Sony i don't played, but they said this shit is open world, the world is not open, don't matter your answers or choices since the script of the history the same in the end for every choice, you have invisible walls

Skyrim is a real open world.

I Started play Skyrim on Xbox 360 on 2011 and in 2012 i buy a PC with AMD 7950 and the game i most played was Skyrim.

THAT'S IT???\??\

???

??

The rest of said "Open worlds" in other games looks like sandbox with a great map but empty, you can't talk with people, can't invade their houses, don't have nice sidequests, nobody remember you if is not part of the script, the open world in Skyrim have more life and choices.

How old are you?

Don't matter
20 years

If the games stop being shitty RPGs and start being good FPS, or what you call "Action games", then the series will be improved. Future Shock was the best, possibly only good game that Bethesda has ever made.

I need to really play witcher 3 to know if the game have good open world.

I also like Hitman and other stealth games, and some closed world action scripted games too. I like Devil May Cry 1, 3 and 4 and i don't played the new Devil May Cry because i don't liked they changing the Dante.

HERE'S AN IDEA
STOP TALKING ABOUT VIDEO GAMES
ESPECIALLY OPEN WORLD VIDEO GAMES

YOU'RE LIKE A MOVIE CRITIC WHO'S ONLY SEEN 2 MOVIES
FAGGOT

He went from a development position to more of an advisory position.

And the original Dante looked european too, straight hair, light eyes, but I hated the first trailer of the new DMC on 2010 of Ninja Theory (I don't remember the name), but because of the Fuck You meme with the new Dante i wanted to play this game since i started to like him, i don't played this new DMC, i stopped in Devil May Cry 4 and never played Devil May Cry 2 since everybody said this game is bad.

Where the fuck are you from? Your english sucks ass.

holy crap cunt what are you doing?
did you literally just start gaming 3 days ago?
fuck outta here with your babbys first opinion shit

Do you perhaps suffer from some mental disability?

No, absolutely not. Skyrim's the best you can get, but it still sucks horribly as you know. FO4 is the only decent combat Bethesda has ever done, maybe save for Future Shock. FO3 with zero spread mod and mouse acceleration turned off is a pretty decent and challenging shooter as well, bullets go where you aim them and so are your enemies' bullets.

I've played them all and hate skyrim, but in all honesty, skyrim's open world design is still better than most.

Statements like this could only make me think you're expecting RPGs to play like action games.

Well, it's supposed to be an ACTION rpg. TES and Beth Fallout were always destined to be ARPG series. So, neither the action or rpg deserves to be eliminated or less emphasized.

I have a pretty consistently demonstrated theory that those who dislike NV(at least over 3/4) haven't made it past primm. How far did you get before you dropped it?

Been a long time, but I finished both the NCR and Mr Yes (anarchist) routes. I think many of the NPC's and situations are interesting but the world itself isn't quite so to be explored.

THIS IS WHY YOUR SEED IS WEEK AND YOUR FATHER WISHES YOU NEVER BEEN BORN

Bethesda has always taken as much insperation from doom and heretic as they did from old school crpgs. Hell, Battlespire was literally a love letter to Doom.

AND BIOSHOCK "TOOK INSPIRATION" FROM SYSTEM SHOCK
DON'T STOP IT FROM BEING TOTAL SHIT

I swear to god RPG discussion is pointless on this board. There is just way too many retarded millenials (may as well be a diagnosable mental illness at this point). If these people had their way we would have nothing but open world garbage with tacked on elements from all sorts of different genres (you can always tell when things go downhill because everything starts blending together) with the only real choice being do you want to play a garbage 3D beat em' up or a slow as molasses FPS.

Literally the only thing the games contain that make them "action" are that it's in real-time. This has not changed since its inception. Also, ARPG is a subgenre of RPG, and thus must prioritize role-playing mechanics over action mechanics. Otherwise you just get an action game with RPG-mechanics.
And the only reason action has been becoming more emphasized is because the RPG mechanics were being removed more and more between games, so by comparison both supposed directions for the game are almost equally underdeveloped.

Someone hasn't played Ultima Underworld.

YOU CAN'T EXPECT MUCH FROM CHILDREN WHOSE FIRST OPEN WORLD WAS MORROWALK

You can read the interview I linked above. Ultima 7 is Todd's favorite and most influential game ever. I've played Ultima 7 as well, not an easy game to get into with the awkward controls, font, and UI. But once you get a hold of it, it's like Gothic but much better.

Battlespire literally has nothing to do with Doom. They're all inspired by first person dungeon crawlers. Doom and Quake were supposed to be ARPG dungeon crawler games as well.

Yeah, but bad design of any aspect hurts the experience.

Because the combat in Daggerfall and Arena weren't good to begin with.

Well, it's Bethesda. Underdevelopment of a mechanic is always with them.

AND WHAT OF IT? NONE OF THE GAMES HE'S WORKED ON ARE ANYTHING LIKE ULTIMA 7, LET ALONE GOOD.

You're being too generous here, it's more than likely Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Skyrim.

What's with the all caps? TES took the Ultima 7 path in terms of reducing the procedurally generated content in favor of hand crafted content. Regarding good or not, I think Morrowind is as good as Ultima 7. Though not as interactive, it's more adventurous and allows a lot more freedom. You see, Morrowind is a big game where you can make a 50,000 fortify strength potion that lasts 2 weeks if you know how to. Morrowalk is an accurate description for Morrowind, but damn, it's the best walking simulator I've ever played. And why walk when you can ride anyway, or fly?

Nothing out of the ordinary here.

TODAY'S INTERNATIONAL CAPS DAY FAGGOT
NIGGER, TONS OF GAMES HAD HAND CRAFTED CONTENT BETWEEN U7 AND TES, YOU CAN'T ATTRIBUTE THAT TO ULTIMA
NOT YOUR FIRST TERRIBLY WRONG OPINION
BECAUSE M&M DID IT EARLIER AND BETTER.

Did you read the interview? Ultima 7 is the game that encouraged Todd to do it. It isn't a matter of who does it first.

Whatever.

Pretty sure Daggerfall came out before MM6. Also, flying in Morrowind is a lot more customizable and feels like something more of an exploitation rather than a mandatory or integral to the game. It makes the discovery feels more exciting.

I don't think he actually codes anything anymore.

I think he's gone to become the "ideas guy" and all the grunts do the work, and half if not most of the stuff he thinks up, doesn't get implemented.

Top tier. MGSV gave me vibes from that game.

TODDLER IS A SHIT DEV AND HIM ONLY NOTICING AN OBVIOUS VIDEO GAME THING IN U7 ONLY PROVES THAT HE INDEED IS AS SPECIAL AS NU FALLOUT
WOW IF ONLY THERE HAD BEEN OTHER M&MS BEFORE 6, ARE THERE NUMBERS BEFORE 6?
LEVITATION, FLIGHT AND SHIT WERE PRESENT IN M&M FROM THE FIRST GAME IN MORE AND MORE EVOLVED FORMS
IT'S VERY NICE THE GAME GIVES YOU FEELS

What's your problem man?

What are you trying to prove or even say here.

I don't play video games released before the year I was born (1995) :^)

Yeah, it's very nice.

WOW I GOT THIS SUDDEN URGE TO STOP TALKING TO YOU NOW, IDK WHY

I know right? Ugh. I. can't. Even.

YEAH YOU BETTER NEVER PLAY THAT HIDEOUS X-COM GAME TOO IT'S SO OLD, EWW GROSS

I honestly can't tell if you fags love or hate Todd

There are definitely some people in this thread who are sucking his dick.

He got promoted too high. He was a great developer, but as he went further up, he started doing less and less actual work and more and more project management.

Todd is not a bad guy. He is just having his fat Elvis period. I guarantee in another game or two he will be back to form. Just give him a chance, he has the potential to be one of the greats but he keeps fucking it up by halfassing anything. He is exactly like Peter Molyneux in that he has wonderful ideas but cannot fucking execute them to save his life.

Agreed, he's pure shit.

I AGREE WITH MY FELLOW ABOVE POSTERS, TODD IS A GREAT DEV. SURE HE NEVER MADE OR WORKED ON ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY GREAT BUT HE'S JUST AN AWESOME DEV, BELIEVE.

I loved fallout new vegas to death but the technical issues and the horrid gunplay really drag the experience down for me. I would have honestly enjoyed it more as an isometric view RPG in the classic fallout style.

I respect todd for the games he worked on, the guy has so much energy for his work that you can't help but get swept up in excitement with him. Even still you can see that Zenimax and Bethesda corporate is slowly killing him. Fallout 4 was an unrelenting pile of dogshit and it was clear that todd didn't actually give a rats ass about the game and just let his team do whatever they wanted. He probably got the order from corperate to shit out another fallout game since those sell so much so he just threw up his arms and said "fuck it, you guys do it, I need a drink". I think the guy gets far more shit than he deserves considering he doesn't actually have that much power at zenimax, they just kind of use him like their cock-sleeve.

the best thing he could do is just leave and make his own studio. Smaller budget sure but at least well get a more personal experience like with redguard and morrowind.

NAW DAWG, MOLYNEUX MADE SOME AMAZING GENRE DEFINING GAMES BEFORE LIONHEAD
TODD DID

He has a wife and 2 kids. Doubt it. He just wants to live in peace.

What's wrong with action adventure games?
If anything, too many games throw in mandatory bull shit "skills" and "upgrades" that do fucking nothing but give you a false feeling of progression by increasing your attack power through shit you don't care about.
You're not making a conscious decision between multiple things that are offered to best suit your play style, you're getting things that you absolutely need (attack power) at worst just to be able to finish the game or picking between two skills out of which one is an obvious pitfall at best.

Prince of Persia the Warrior Within had a simple system of attack power progression: you'd get a better main sword at certain points in the game.
It would be strong enough so you could contend with new enemies and more easily overpower the earlier ones. Health upgrades were optional and hidden throughout the level.

Hamfisted RPG elements with no purpose behind them make games shit and I really hate them.

do you have a source for that? I can't find anything about him having a wife.

Money happened.

George Lucas syndrome probably, everyone sucked his cock so hard that he started believing that everything he does is excellent, and became stagnant because of it.

The name's Kim Howard. They've been together since highschool, quite remarkable. She aged like milk though, unlike Todd who's still a looker despite being as old as her.

It's almost like the new Mass Effect in here.

BY THE NINE WHAT IS THIS ABOMINATION

Friendly reminder for you: Todd favored redguard over Morrowind, and technically this made Morrowind the best in the series. It was less tainted by Todd bullshits…

No argue in here. He doesn't even hide it anymore…

Just check out guys how many hiden stuff where in Morrowind which was adressed for the forum community and the hc fandom!
No lol so randumb memes, no pop-culture bullshits (i know it had a few, but they weren't overflowing)!
Being an oldfag in the bethesda forums must be the funniest shit back then…

Jesus Christ, could you come back and write this in English please?

Embrace the slav, you know i'm right!

ísť vysrať

Imagine being in marriage with Todd.

Todd is living the life.

He got rich. Nigger when you have money your gonna want to do less work and have other people do it, it's even easier when you can drop shit and people like it instantly which means you can lounge more. I really fucking doubt it that Todd codes anything or even spends time with the dev team when he can be counting his bills from retard fans.

The answer is and always will be Money.

Csak utánad hegyi ember!

Being a Todd fan requires a lot of revisionism and fingers in your ears.

what the fuck is this magyar shit, you really expect me to read steppenigger?

Im not mad at you. See you at the Ghostfence bro, we have to hold the redguard horde back!

But back for the topic! The meme about how Todd howard made Morrowind and how TES series his masterpiece should be die! No, fuck no!
Todd tried to drop the rpg path from TES with Redguard but he flopped. The hobbit nigger is nearly everything what is wrong with the series nowaday!
Without Michael Kirkbride there wouldn't be TES fanbase or mainstream popularity, because the hc fans wouldn't praise the shit out TES3.

I hate it when people don't get this too, Daggerfall and Arena, flavorwise share a hell of a lot more in common with something like the Conan universe than what it is now. Very violent but very libertine, clothing optional, wander around some world that makes Mogadishu look nice in comparison. Sure, there's "European" stylings but it's mixed in with an unquestionably heavy dose of low fantasy. And it's fun, has serviceable lore…now you have prudish high fantasy with lore that tossed together after an all nighter in a crackhouse. The "unique look" of Morrowind was basically leftovers from Redguard, nothing in TES looked like it before…it's also one thing to make that a remote Hammerfall thing, but then you see it in Morrowind. And ever worse it's dropped altogether afterwards for generic knights and vikings shit. And it's boring, too.

If he had managed to make anything nearly as good as Future Shock then it would have met no resistance at all when it came out. The damn shame of it all is that 90s Bethesda never got another Terminator game after Skynet, I wouldn't have minded if they tried to make another "open-world Terminator 1, hide Sarah from Arnie" kind of game again but this time in XEngine.

I think he's a hack but honestly I hate the guy who owns Zenimax more, Robert Altman. He forced out one of the original Bethesda founders, who was a co-owner of Zenimax as well, in a hostile takeover and tried to prevent him from receiving 1.2 million in back pay (the same thing happened with both the Carmacks later at ID Software, so Altman has a pattern of this).

He's also a criminal that was so bad even the Federal Reserve had to throw the book at him, but fortunately the case went to trial around the time Bill Clinton went into office and he was (and still is) sucking Slick Willie's and Shillary's nuts. So coincidentally the case "fell apart" in 1993 yet somehow despite being "innocent" he's banned from banking (!) for life.

Yes, Skyrim is a good game. Holla Forums is a shit hole for video game opinions. I wouldn't take anything the echo chamber says as fact. That is why you have a brain and can make your own decisions. Right?
RIGHT?!

He started drawing a decent paycheck.

now THIS is a shill thread.
i hope you faggots are doing this ironically, but i've been disappointed before.

All I said was "wasted trips" because it was poor bait, but you actually took it.

There's nothing wrong with his vision. I'll even go as far as to say that he has great ideas. It's just that those ideas are never fully realized or executed properly, probably because of incompetent programmers, QA testers with an extremely high shit tolerance, and ZeniMax's Jewishness.

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU QUOTING

Threadly reminder if you like skyrim you are mentally ill and should seek professional help.

Todd apologist please go.
Todd was hack just like Mr.Shitface.
Please kill yourself.

Wrong on multiple counts:

It was many nights.
It was weed.
It was the Bethesda office.

Nigger.

Also
Man if you want Boring Medieval Knights With Magic And Ambiguous Religion #52897392875023 they by all means have fun with your nuTES along with every other newfag out there.

Todd has always been a hack. His work on Morrowind was to scale back the game design as originally Morrowind was supposed to be more like Daggerfall, but as Bethesda was nearing Bankruptcy and Todd was the last of 3 developers left at Bethesda his job was more or less to strip Morrowind down so it could be sold as is. Which is what happened. This is why every game further always has features missing, because that is Todds design philosophy.

You're an apologist. Please shut the fuck up. You're as bad as the Molyeneux apologists. Realize that they get to a point where they become big headed pricks of people and stop making good video games. Todd was at that point around Oblivion after he was riding the success of Morrowind.

Problem is, if they had just done games like Morrowind that would have been fine, but no, they ported Morrowind to Xbox and realized that was their target demographic, essentially betraying the people that made them.

Fuck Bethesda and Fuck Todd.

The source of that "Nigger" comes from the implication in your post that the Arena/Daggerfall look was in some way superior to the one maintained from Battlespire to Morrowind. The series was at its high point for that time.

Nobody likes the "look" of Oblivion/Skyrim.

As a non-bethesda fan and objective reviewer myself, I fully agree!