Character Design Thread: The Good, The Bad and The Yooka-Laylee

Did the same fucking guy design these first two? They look so plastic, blocky and butt ugly. Jesus fucking Christ. When they said spiritual sequel, we didn't mean from the 360 era. Even Anton & Coolpecker look better than these…THINGS.

Why are Yucka and Lele always smiling too? They look happy as shit. That's unrelated to the thread theme, but it just feels so off compared to how their previous mascots, B&K, had a dynamic with each other; third pic. These two on the other hand, always seem to get along, and that bothers the hell out of me.

I think the characters that are more akin to classic Rareware, are the ones from Splatoon. The design is just so intuitive and memorable. I personally think these characters look great and I have an easy time remembering them, meanwhile Yooka-Laylee look like a worse imitation of bad 90's cereal mascot.

One autistic bitching thread wasn't enough ?

look at the bedroom eyes in 1st pic kazooie, holy shit she's just screaming to have your dick in her cloaca

What the fuck are you even talking about? This is the first thread I made today.

Holy fuck, that's hilarious.

If you stuck the big goody eyes on the new banjo kazooie, it'd look fine.
The issue is fucking all the time Kazooie has fuck me eyes in Nuts and bolts.

They're not totally wrong on the idea that strong, simple geometric shapes are easy on the eyes, it's just playing out in a much worse way in the Nuts 'n' Bolts models. Of any of the things I've seen from Yooka-Laylee, Yooka and Laylee are two of the better-looking models

I think Yooka looks alright, maybe a bit too square on some parts.
There's something that bothers me about Lele though, maybe the massive red nose?

Yeah the ratio is way off on that thing. A smaller nose would be more aesthetically pleasing, and I can back that up too, I took art classes.

i'm not laughing

What do you think a cloaca looks like, exactly?

The first time I saw Yooka & Laylee I thought their design wasn't good, but their look has really grown on me.

They don't appear to be quite as sassy as Banjo & Kazooie, but it's hard to tell without proper view of the dialogue.

Maybe it is the eyes.

I agree, but even by themselves, they still look very off. I think I haven't had the 'Nuts & Bolts' residue wiped off of me after all these years. Either It's due to them being naked, or it IS the nose as has confirmed. All they need are googly eyes then, or clothes. or a meat shredder to start the character design all over again

I'm laughing even harder now. I hate you.
Also, that's a vag, not a cloaca

these Shovel Knight cameos need to stop

its whatever you want it to be for today honey~

Jelonzo a cute

it's a ice cream dispenser

Just whipped this up for you.
I'm no professional, but do you think it would look better like this?

in 2d? possibly not, in 3d absolutely. You can kind of get away with the big nose in 2d.

Wonderful! I'm glad to see I'm not as batshit crazy after all. I do agree that almost any Rare styled character would look absolutely awful in 2D.
Fixed it up a bit
Thank you!

How are any of those designs "intuitive"?

Meant to say 'Kindred', actually. The word I said before doesn't even make sense in this situation.

It's alright user, english isn't my first language either.

but its empty, you gotta put your own ice cream inside first~

do you do bubble gum?

whats wrong with the gecko and bat designs? looks pretty straight forward to me.
if i didnt know everything about vidya, i could be tricked into thinking those were created right along with spyro, gex, crocc, banjo, kazoopie, etc.

Not that, I just rushed it. You know how sometimes you talk faster than you think? That was one of those situations, needed to get the first post up there before someone fucked it up and derailed the thread. The first post almost always makes or breaks the thread.

Urgh. I haven't had bubble gum in YEARS, now I'm craving some hard. I hate you. I wonder if I can slap some googley eyes in this eye cream and make it look like a rare character.

Croc was ugly too

Tildeposting can be hot, but not like this.

~

there we go bb

BEHOLD. MY NEW CHARACTER.
It's name is Boobloo

He looks like the character I posted here

What the fuck.

Needs tentacles, and further apart eyes

You'd say that, wouldn't you slut?

Wanna go on an adventure, user?

Alright, after this one.

I can fix that

I'm gunna sue u for stealing that imagine!

I just wish Yooka was wearing clothes. Animals wearing clothes are funny.

and done

Now put googly eyes on it. Ohhhh baby…

i guess she's just genderless abomination now, way to go tumblr!

just imagine it's a anus and it has a micro dick

no, that has no cloaca, no vagina, no balls, no micropenis or macropenis, it has nothing.

so i'll give you a hyper to compensate the nothing with too much

that's as dumb as saying chickens are genderless, they still have different reproductive organs and their external differences have stark contrast between male and female, which shits all over the "gender is a social construct" bullshit they keep peddling

ask and you shall receive

Its perfect.

What do you call him?

BUT WAIT

Did I do good?

looks like a nigger

Do you think he farts when he talks? Haha just kidding.

You got a problem with Shadow the Chameleon and Tumblr Bat faggot?

I do agree though. I can forgive lizard's Shadow the Hedgehog eyeliner, but the bat's gigantic tumblr nose irks the everloving fuck out of me. I never like the giant red noses in Spelunky and I most certainly dont fucking like them here.

While we're on the topic of Kikestarter characters who cameo in fucking everything, what was the story of that one turbo autist who kept paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to stick his shitty boomerang OC in any Kikestarter game possible?

Tyrone the anus

tyranus

wtf I want to bully Yooka now

haha, that's funny
but what do you think it would smell like?
just as a joke

Is that a female tank top?

excuse me did you just assume the shirts gender now?

Cloarice
Cloarissa

Also, it gives a whole new meaning to cloacal kiss

Bats have snouts you ignorant fuck.

Pagies are so fucking bad.

Do you need to have an art degree to notice what's a good an bad design? I don't have a problem with any of this. I do however not like designs in steven universe.

Chicken… BREAST

it helps

Alright I fixed the designs.

Needs a shadman edit

Take the dumb nose off the bat, and give them actual genitals and I'd take it.

8/10 i like it? Add feminine penises.

Is that bat(Laylee?) a clown?

Did the first one

BEST CHARACTER EVER

I like some of the monsters.
Also, these gems aren't probably canon at all, but like some of them.
Namely Hematite and Schorl

edgy

Iolite looks like an anorexic Grungust

?

I recognize that dick!

No, I just want to fuck them.

holy shit the tumblr levels here are unmeasurable. the current generation of children and specially girls are fucked.

Absolutely disgusting.

Here's some good ones then.

wtf is this

What a dickhead

Some stuff.

This isn't even SU related man. People really like to ruin things.

no

That's pretty cool indeed. I like those designs. Especially the thighs.

ya can't ruin whats already broken dude

I want a good game

I laughed.

Circumsoldier knows, believe me. You freaks are creepy fucks.

Alright, you've gained my interest. Don't personally like the bat and her massive nose, but the lizard's got my lust. Can't say no to egg-laying hips.

You know you want to grab the bat in one hand and use it as an inexpensive onahole, every time you thrust into its overlubed pussy the nose gives off a honk

RIGHT IN THE FETISH

Oh, I get it!

I'd be down for female Yooka. Laylee makes a better guy, though.

The story is just how you described, user. He was/is a turbo autist who had to shove his OC in everything possible and because the devs made it so anyone could do it, without restrictions, they put him in despite him not fitting with anything else. At least Yacht Club redid Zubaz's design a bit to fit in with the rest of the game. Boomerang Boy? Nah, faggot had to be running around as a ninja.

WHAT'S THAT SMELL?
IT'S BLOOD!

Isn't that second one just Shin Godzilla?