Game lets me duel wield weapons

Someone explain this.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139422837&searchtext=shield
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't recall a game that does this, but I think there might be logic here. The devs probably don't want to have the player fuck themselves over by having no offensive weapons, so they force the player to use one at all times.

this

But shields can and have been used offensively.
Sure, it's not as powerful as getting stabbed with a spear or sliced with a sword but getting smacked in the head with a shield can kill. It should allow the player to be more defensive at the cost of some offensive abilities and range but still allow attack.

FF3 lets you do this and it's practically required to kill the bonus boss.

What are you trying to do?

you mean 3 "3" or 3 "6"?

Suck my conq

The idea alone of being able to quickly bash people in a vidya and then defend like gif related makes me hard.

the real 3.

Spoonfeed so he can fit in.

EDF 4.1 lets you do this with the fencer.

Bravely Default has dual shielding from what I remember, and given the amount of cross classing skills, I'm sure one could set up a valid build for it.

The boss was a great thing, shielded the hand, turned the shield into a big iron knuckle, the way it made you hold the shield meant less chance of arrows piercing your flesh, good thing even if looks like hell on the wrist.

Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?
"Oh, since the player can put a weapon in any hand they want, they should be able to wield one in both hands at the same time! What's that? We should make this a legit fighting style and not just let the player attack with one weapon at a time, totally making it just like attacking with a one handed weapon but the secondary attack just does the same thing? Naaaaaaah, that would be too much fun."

Seriously, fuck Bethesda.

Because the confused turtle style is underappreciated.

What a shit chart. It's obvious it was just made for the dual shield punchline.

Phantasy Star 4 lets you. It's the best setup for magic users, since they don't need to use physical attacks anyway.

Yeah, basically. IIRC it was something for skyrim

Dubs

Anyway Samurai Jack season 5 is fucking garbage. Fuck off Holla Forumsmmunist.

Episode 2 when?

saturday

thanks

A jew in japs clothing. >>>/ovens/

Well, to be fair, dual wielding cannot be made into a legit fighting style because it's not a legit fighting style. Unless you count the sword+dagger clowns from the renaissance era duels.

DAS RITE

Oh hey are you that autist that debated everyone last thread?

why is samuro jacko edge now

No one dual wielded in war because shields are nice to have but there are plenty of martial arts that focus on a weapon in each hand. Especially all of that weird kung-fu shit.

None of the styles in Skyrim are legit fighting styles.

Are you even trying? Duel wielding is god tier in one-on-one fights as long as neither weapon
is too long.

Rapier is legitimately one of the best dueling weapons ever created and the parrying dagger enhances the fencer's ability to bind and fuck over his opponent exponentially. Rapier+dagger duels are fucking awesome, too. Even before the use of rapiers, with longswords you always had some form of dagger with you specifically because having that as an option fucked over people who didn't expect it. And hell, Kendo federations specifically make rules to make the use of wakizashi more difficult because the dual wielders kept wrecking shit in tournaments. You even have to practice under a legitimate nito master before you're even allowed to compete, to limit the amount of them. Additionally, you aren't allowed to even hit with the wakizashi and the advancement in nito requires you to have first done it in regular style kendo.

It's useless on the battlefield where things like arrows and polearms rule, but in the civilian life carrying two swords or a dagger alongside a single sword is no fucking additional hassle and gives you a huge advantage.

not legitimate fighting style except for dueling
so fucking never practical unless you go full on 1v1 me brah and if you are in a 1v1 its a boss fight so the 75% of the game where you are not 1v1ing enemies and developing skills your supposed to use on bosses. unless your going pvp at witch point 1v1's just get old and you will typically have to learn how to 1v2 or 2v1. so when are you supposed to do this now?

At what fucking point in any normal ass video game are you playing in a scenario even remotely resembling a real life medieval war?
Standard encounters are never more than small groups vs. you and maybe a few friends

Are you having a fucking stroke?

I'm trying to make sense of your post, but your autism is making it very difficult.

Here, let me spell it out for you.

So assuming you're going not going to be spending 90% of the game as a murderhobo outside of society, you want to be able to blend in. It's like walking around with an AR-15 vs. having a pistol holstered as you go to McDonalds.

So if you're going to carry a sword, might as well carry a dagger as well. And if you're a skilled swordsman, you might know how to use two swords which makes you a beast in cities where you can use the surroundings to funnel your opponents into one-on-one situations.

Additionally, cramped spaces completely and utterly fuck over polearms and ranged weapons. Do you want a game where you only spend time outdoors because your halberd keeps getting stuck in the walls?

We need more disposable shields in combat. I want the option to chuck my shield at somebody to cause a fatal blow.

The problem is that dueling is not real combat, it's just a very dangerous sport. And even there offhand daggers fell out of use after super light foils came into play and people realized that standing sideways makes you less vulnerable. In any case, sports and martial arts are just that.

Well, yea, when your opponent is wearing no armor, having more sharp things at your disposal helps. Civilians carving the shit out of each other is not what I consider real combat though. I guess it depends. I'll concede that dual wielding can be a legitimate fighting style depending on your point of view.

nigger you don't know shit, having a buckler and any weapon was basically dual wielding, but it actually worked, you can punch someone with a metal buckler and it will hurt

Actually, I'm going to go on a slight tangent to explain why dual wielding is so effective in civilian settings but terrible on a battlefield.

There are really two major differences in civilian settings and battlefields; armament and organization. When you're going through daily life, wearing armor is tiring. Even the basic layer of protection worn under everything else; the gambeson, is a hot piece of shit no matter what you do with it. It's essentially like wearing fifteen shirts, after all. Throw a maille or some splint armor, which are the easiest to wear and least movement hindering and you're going to be tiring a fair bit more quickly than normally. Hell, one of the major reasons maille saw use for some two thousand years is because it's so damn easy to throw on in case of an emergency and so quick to get out of once you're taking a rest; it's literally just a shirt you get in and out of. And it's still fucking heavy, noisy and requires maintenance after use; are you seriously going to go through all that when going shopping or to the tavern for lunch?

So in civilian settings, bladed—and piercing— weapons reign supreme. This is reflected in how the sword is for a very long time the side-arm of choice. From the langes messer of the common German freeman to the katana of the samurai, it's a casual, comfortable, effective and symbolic weapon that gives you lots of options. What the lack of armor means for a dual wielder, is that the opponent has to keep their eye on two weapons and worry about being parried with one and hit with the other: for a novice fighter this pressure is huge. Even experienced swordsmen hesitate when faced with the point of a single sharp sword, imagine being faced with two and knowing that you have to handle both.

On the battlefield, assuming you know you're about to confront an enemy and not just being ambushed, you've got a lot of shit that's supposed to protect you from annoying shit like blades on your person. Hell, even a gambeson will probably allow you to tank shallow attacks without anything more than a bruise. So your thoughts will naturally go from "Oh shit shit shit" to "Hah, he could stab me with both of those things and I'd be fine. As long as he doesn't get me on the ground I'm fine!". This change in mindset can be seen even in modern day fighters, where HEMA practitioners will seem like two completely different people in-gear and out-of-gear. Getting hit with an iron stick is a lot less scary once you've got a mask, gauntlets and a thick jacket on, ay?

Secondly, when you're in a civilian setting, you're usually—though not always— alone or in small numbers. This means that you usually do not face the risk of being shanked from behind by the one guy who just got finished with his opponent while you face another guy. It means you aren't constrained by lines of fighting and required to stand your ground between two other guys and several more behind you against the enemies who stand right before you. On the battlefield, you don't get to decide how you approach your opponent and what tactics you can use, so having a duel wield style which allows you to overwhelm a single opponent isn't such a huge advantage, when the other guy can just defend and let the guy next to him hit you as you try to chase after with your short ass weapons. Just get a fucking spear instead, fuckhead.

I consider 14th to 16th century dueling to be proper combat. Judicial disputes, bar brawls turning ugly—seriously more common than you think, a lot of the old European manuals have such scenarios—, being robbed in some dark alley were all often decided by what was legally called duels.

But yeah, as you say today and in relatively recent times, those are and were sports. Old school swordsmanship schools that did teach duel wielding as a part of a wider curriculum didn't teach people it as a hobby, they taught self-defense and were for example a legal requirement for some jobs: Getting to the position of doppelsöldner and getting DOUBLE FUCKING PAY required you to get a fechtmeister's "degree" from one of the officially recognized fencing guilds.

Wrecking kendo and classical fencing practitioners is easy, just follow these three simple steps:
The tears of kendoka sustain me.

DUAL WIELD WAS NOT VIABLE FOR BATTLES, ONLY DUELS

Bucklers are fucking 10/10. You parry with the sword, approach and bind with the buckler and then either stab the shit out of them or break their face with the big ass steel knuckle duster you've essentially got on your hand. You're essentially using your sense of touch to predict the opponents moves and outmaneuvering them so you can kill them, it's like literal 4D Chess.

They're pure fucking magic and you can wear them on your belt in the tavern and no one gives a shit!

Lindy is a tit who thinks guards aren't something you use in swordfighting because he feels they're silly. He's not much of an authority on actual combat, despite his many years of larping.

Who would even want to do this? Fuck off with this decade old meme.

Nigga….

So I can slam people with my shield twice as much.

For double defense and slamming!

That guy's channel contains as much factual information as it does spaghetti.

You can ram a guy with two fuckhuge shields while your buddy effortlessly flanks him, bonus points for spikes. Then you can do it all over again.

-real fucking historical manual

whoever wrote that is a fucking master ruseman.

Its really funny to me that outside of you mad /a/utistics this thread is going really nicely and on topic.

it almost feels like /tg/

Outside of Ubishit how is the game? It actually looks interesting.

Thanks user, that was educational

The guide is right, but no sane person would give ethe guy time to unscrew the pommel on your sword. Shit would be cash tho

it's great from a design perspective, but from a technical standpoint it's terrible, bad netcode, unstable connections, general unplayability, and the campaign is basically Dark Souls but the only enemies are hollow warriors and NPCs.

I heard shit like this was added to manuals to more easily detect plagiarism, just add a couple fake techniques in there and if you see them in other manuals, you know they're stealing from yours.

I probably would have bought it if they took out the campaign and made it only 40$

Imagine how many people died by reading an anti plagiarism technique.

Nothing to explain - you're a dumb piece of shit waste of space that's been making shit threads and shoehorning SJ of all things for a couple of weeks now. You're not welcome, you'll never be welcome.

Fuck off.

Sage isn't a downvote.

That guy looks pretty FUCKING INVINCIBLE.

But you still gave him a reply.

Yeah? How about muh ironical shitposting is still shitposting, they cover that during your memespewing101?

Your post isn't an argument.
I'm fucking sick of seeing half-assed template threads with samurai jack forced here as well.
Just fuck off.

Quit being a contrarian /a/utist.

Motherfucker doesn't even talk actual vidya, it's Holla Forums tier shitposting. And not even the good kind.

Nice proxy, now go shove it up your ass.

That guy wasn't either ironic or shitposting, you're just rectal ragnarok'd that a show you don't like is popular
If you're not here to autistically argue about dual shields or anything related to them in vidya then get the fuck out

kek

Derailing a vidya thread to talk about a show you don't like because the OP used a picture from it sure as fuck doesn't make you Holla Forums
Or hell, maybe it does now, board quality has been going downhill faster than usual recently, so maybe that's just where we're at

Are we in the same thread? I'm the only one so far that posted any vidya vaguely related to OP considering both weebshit and dualwielding shields elements. And that's ignoring for the moment how retarded a concept that is.

Seriously, you'd accomplish that "style" with a couple of vambraced cestus for a quarter of the encumbrance and much larger effectiveness. Defensively speaking a couple of bucklers alone wouldn't offer any better protection and offensively you'd be better off beating them with a gauntlet or even a weighted glove since muh smaller impact area.

For that shit to be effective a shield needs to be solid and heavy, and good luck using even one in that fashion for any extended period of time. And even if you could - just get a crowbeak or an axe. That's also ignoring the fact that if a single of said shields can cover your front there's little use for a second one or how due to it's shape a shield is far more limited in a sense of offensive angles as compared to just about any other tool or weapon imaginable.

You've no right to complain after throwing cheap bait like you did.

If i can be a hot as fuck bounty hunter chick who can crouch and become a spine-destroying ball, I should also get to be a man with two shields and nothing to lose

See, now that's some nice and proper autism
But I have a pretty good counterargument
VIDEO GAME
The only thing that matters is whether you can make fun gameplay out of it, realistic concerns about viability mean jack fucking shit

No, user. That's common sense and being a dumbass, in my post and yours, respectively. Proper autism would possibly come into play if there's an actual fucking game or system to talk about and not this halfassed, vague, shit of a thread.

That other faggot was right, maybe /a/ really is more your speed

That's one hell of a claim coming from somefag defending a fan/b/oy thread for a upcoming cartoon. And speaking of board quality topic you yourself broached; you're at least (5) and counting and you haven't even so much as hinted as to why this should be a thing or god forbid mentioned a game that actually has this retardation either by design or by accident.

Like say one of the gorillion rpgmaker tier games, grotesque tactics that at least makes fun of it, muh hulk with dual tank turret shields or that one musou game. And pretty sure some of the scrolling beat-em-ups or arcade fighting games had this gimmick as well.

It premiered on saturday, that's why you're seeing it so much

But yeah, now we're getting to the heart of the issue, you're just assmad because you think dual shields is dumb, like some kind of fucking wild animal that doesn't know how to have fun, trying to explain it to you would just get me another short bus-tier rant about realism

You went to the trouble of naming a bunch of games yourself, and you still think the concept is retarded enough to not even deserve a thread, so you've made it pretty clear that talking about specific games with you won't get anywhere, and pushing the point that I should be the one naming them is just so you can have ammo to keep the argument going

Well, no, the heart of the issue would be that it's a halfassed non vidya thread you've reppurposed to farm (You)'s with some of the shittest bait I've seen in awhile now. Or if you'd like to be even more specific you could say the issue is that we're apparently both bored enough to continue with this charade.

shields are both from defensive and offensive stuffs

Go back to cuckchan.

user, we are having a nice discussion. OP never even mentioned SJ. Maybe people are using images from it because most of Holla Forums likes it?

Pretty much every post but yours are on topic or vidya related. Your butthurt is crazy.

I actually think in an old Samurai Jack flash game I remember playing you could ACTUALLY dual wield shields for real.

If you want to discuss actual video games with dual shield welding just discuss the fucking game, nobody is going to complain that there's a thread about a game but instead we have to be discussing a concept instead of an actual game. As a result this thread's full of historical shitposting and vague idea guys, with occasional references to actual games every so often. It's a perfect example of a template thread now fuck off.

it's a template thread, don't be retarded.

2handing a shield is better then using 2 shields
I have a 2handed shield build in ds1 although it actually uses 2 shields I switch between.

Imagine how many lost dollars of productivity there are thanks to DRM schemes on CAD tools and the like.

Hi reddit.

Were some of the posts fucking deleted?

This is why being a spear user in Nioh is suffering. *clang* *ugh* *clang* *ugh* *clang* *clang* *ugh* You absolutely have to have an indoor weapon.

Close, it was some unlockable "weapon" you could get that rendered you invulnerable. It was Jack turtle-shelling himself between two large shields.

It wouldn't surprise me considering the self-appointed board guardians clogging up the last 20-some posts and that for some reason the mods love to clean up one half of shitflinging but not the other. This board turns into swiss cheese at random times because the "delete all posts by IP" option is their best friend.

you mean black

Even though it was crap compared to its predecessor, FFTA2 did it.

It took a Master Monk with Shieldbearer; they were normally fine unarmed, and the dual shields meant a very high evasion stat (plus status immunities from the shields you chose). No reason to give them knuckles or staves instead. It was one of the few good aspects of that game, I'll wager.

Even in duels, you'd use a longsword in one and a parrying dagger in the other.

Dopplesoldners didn't learn duel-wielding and use two blades, they used two-handed swords

You do know that in real world longsword refers to longer, two handed swords?

The meaning of a "long sword" depended on the period. Roman spatha was a long sword in its time, and so was the late Scottish claymore. Both are swords with single hand grips.

Do you perhaps mean basket-hilted sword instead?

They called long ones claymores, as it really just means a "big sword".

If you say so.

There's a big argument about which usage was first (claymore as a late medieval two-handed sword, or as a fancy name for later Scottish swords), because Scots are just bastardized Anglos and used even their "own" language wrong.

It'd be too much fun

epic.

The sad part is that he is the only big name dark souls e-celeb that id not go full cuck/SJW. The rest have become varying levels of pozzed. You even have a shit ton of them asshurt at onlyafro since he made fun of people who wanted games censored and made fun of indie games.

Why even play?

Any thread asking a general question is a template thread? It's fucking hilarious to me how butthurt (you) are getting since this is one of the better Holla Forums threads right now.
Just admit you are butthurt because he posted Samurai Jack and it makes you angry for some reason to know that Adult swim has a good cartoon.

Maybe if you're using one big one, but then it would fit into the same slow niche as other big ass weapons, without nearly as much offensive potential
Having two shields could afford you all manner of tactical options depending on the shields you use and what the game allows you to do with them

No, the sad part is that he thinks anyone bringing up his crossdressing is just making fun of him and won't do it anymore

Is new Samurai Jack good? Should I rewatch the previous seasons before jumping into it?

Yes
Also, >>>Holla Forums

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139422837&searchtext=shield

This isn't /vg/ stupid. We are allowed to have threads that are more than just circle jerking about a single game. Apparently the mods agree since the thread is up. Your pseudomoderating is pathetic.

tell me one way to counter double lantern shields
protip: you can't.

Holla Forums is not one of the dead boards, do not be afraid to go there.
I'm not saying this to be a dick

Its good. Watch a few EPs of the last few seasons, you don't have to watch every ep.

pike

So swords were pretty much the pistols/revolvers of the melee era in terms of civilian/military use?

Yeah, they were used as sidearms and for duels.
There were military units that did use swords though, for example, the spanish tercios, where 1/3 of the square used pikes, 1/3 used arquebuses and 1/3 rappiers with daggers or rondels.

(Based on my time playing around with the beta)
The multiple stance mechanic is conceptually really cool and fairly well implemented, but it feels like it would fit better in a PvE game. When going up against other players, I found it to generally feel more fiddly and awkward than I'd like. That, and actual 1v1 encounters were very rare. You're either ganking, or you're getting ganked, and neither role is particularly fun.

>"Thou mayest taken me shield, but I still holdeth the potato!" the historianon is probably looking up my ip right now to find me and bash my head in with two wieners shields

torchlight 2

You can dual wield wands in Path of Exile

Best for fucking dual-wielding.

Barbarians go faster and faster the more you kill, and Wizards get faster MP recharging and more chance of extra shit happening.

Dual Wands is more of a crap-shoot thanks to how slow some of them are. And I could handle groups well, but sucked with bosses since my damage output was low (but maybe it was my shitty build).

I fear no pike, it doesn't even have a pommel to end your opponent rightly.

What about a billhook?

Actually a billhook would be a great way to defeat someone going double lanterns, it seems like a direct counter to everything a lantern shield offers.

Divinity: Original Sin does

Yeah, either pull the shield out of the way (dual-wielding shorter single hand hooks might work better) or using a mace with a big bastard to break their hand/arm inside it.

Dark Souls 2 does that again. Wands are limited to or focused on certain types of spells, so you may want a magic wand on the left and a darkness wand on the right. My first playthrough was with a jack of most trades wand on the right and a pyro glove on the left, enabling me to cast every spell at any time.

Pre-nerf Great Resonant Soul, Flame Swath, and Lightning Spears was basically my build tbh

I haven't recently watched Season 4 of Samurai Jack (and can't remember most of it), but kinda want to watch the new stuff

should i do it?

No. TV is bad for you. Go lifting instead.

I'd love to play with a two-handed shield/weapon hybrid.
I think that'd be pretty fun to fuck around with,

Sure, but it's more about worldbuilding (kinda late) and focuses less on Jack as a protagonist and more like Jack as a Legend.

…there are 4 seasons of samurai jack?
I thought that shit got canceled after 10 episodes

Lindy's a faggot. Don't post his shittery.

k

Divinity original sin

Yea instead we're circlejerking about a concept without any vidya discussion. You're new here if you think that threads like these aren't anything more than historyfags and idea guys discussing vague ideas and retarded concepts.

The thread is still up because while it's still cancer it's still technically vidya because OP shoehorned the word game into his thread. It's up to the community to tell you fucktards to lurk more. Fuck off with your reddit-tier argument. I'm calling this thread shit because it's an unfinished idea/concept with video games lazily slapped on top of it while nobody actually discusses video games. It's like the Overwatch threads but somehow more vague.

what streaming site are you using, user?

onwatchseries
used to be called thewatchseries
make sure to turn ON that pesky uBlock Origin or else you'll have a bad time

It's not. It's discussion about a concept that has nothing to do with video games. Are you pretending to be retarded or something?

Escrimador here. The advice on wrecking kendoka and classical fencers is spot on. As you circle they tend to start backpedaling. You can run them wherever you want.

I'll have to learn how to use a buckler at some point. Seems like a fun tool.

Instead you can have
One is more capable of being discussed than the other and actually encourages depth rather than a pointless vague drone on shit that has nothing to do with vidya. There's never going to be a long drawn out discussion in these threads talking about mechanic(s) or tips to gitting gud. Admit it already, this thread is an inferior piece of shit template that shouldn't exist. OP spent 5 seconds making a low effort thread with low effort replies talking about surface level shit at best. If there was ever proof that Holla Forums didn't play video games this would be it.

Diablo2 paladin had SMITE where you attack with a shield. It does little damage but ALWAYS hit and causes stun. You could dual-wield shields (or was that a mod?).

Really? I haven't noticed any of that from some of the other "big" ones.

Discussion of mechanics doesn't have to be tied to a specific game that already exists
The only reason discussion can't get going is because faggots like you would rather have a meta discussion about why it's dumb to talk about it in the first place

Fuck
On that note, anyone have the photos?

The only reason discussion can't get going is because retards like you don't actually play video games and instead form blank ideas that go nowhere because you have nothing to base it off of. Look at this thread and honestly say that any attempts to have a discussion aren't ended early because nobody fucking knows where to go past the first few replies. Shit look at OP. (3) posts in and gave up because this is such a vague fucking concept of a thread that even he couldn't keep it going. You act like you can't have a fucking discussion of mechanics on the same thread discussion the game.

No normalfags and reddit are ruining this board. Because they don't actually have anything to talk about and would rather meme about an idea than actually bring up any concrete and specific examples to get the ball rolling. Eat shit.

I don't think you're in a position to be saying other people don't play video games

I don't think you're in a position to be stealing oxygen.

here's one with more

Most of them have become SJWs who got asshurt at GG of all things. Name a few and you will find most of them are faggots.

That's fucking terrifying.

I want to fuck that lōkai.

Bravely default lets you dual wield shields
it's an okay build, gets repetitive though

wouldn't you use your offhand not to parry but to throw knives or other crap like bombs at your target? seems like a better use of your offhand

With the fallout 4 special edition, anythings possible user…
:'^)

The game is very good when it works. It almost never does.

I re-read my post and I don't think I ever implied that. Hell, the pictures shown of the doppelsöldners all have a greatsword. I was replying to another user and explaining how the "sport" or "dueling" in those days wasn't just a hobby, but had societal and legal weight and implications as well; it had nothing to do with dual wielding per se, though some of the later German schools did teach dual rapier.

So yeah, you are right in what you say, but it has fuck all to do with what I said.

what time's the next SJS5 episode by the way?

Who cares, its absolute garbage.

tonight, keep an eye out for more god awful 3DCG

What about this Albino guy? He's pretty openly right wing.

Why should anyone do this whether it be right or left wing?

Samurai Jack causing this much butthurt is amazing.

I wasn't very clear. He makes "inflammatory content" like playing as a bomb-using muzzie or blatantly cheating just to piss streamers off. He isn't really putting politics in his videos but from the references he uses it becomes pretty clear that he's somewhat alt-right.

Trudeau is a cuck though

(Check'd)
Final Fantasy 2 also let you do this, but you had no attack option.

why?